User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #46
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmensing
I've found Tourrances great road tires for the R100 GS, and passable off-road at 22psi on badly rutted, rocky or washboarded fire roads. In mud they're not so good. I've run Sahara 3's down to Baja and have found them pretty good, even in fairly soft sand with 2-up.

My question is this: I'm looking to run a more agressive off-road tire this summer and am trying to choose between the three mentioned in the title -- any thoughts? In my neck-of-the-woods (San Francisco) the TKC's and Sahara 3's are running about $110 each, while the Karoo's are about $60 each.
That review I linked to (Or else I read it somewhere else) said that you get more miles out of the Sahara 3 vs the TKC's, but the TKC are a more aggressive tire.

Back to the Sahara 3's, so if your running the rear as a tube tire in a tubeless rim, are there any problems with that (Heat from friction/doesn't work ect)?
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #47
Slope'r
Turn'n Valves

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
....Back to the Sahara 3's, so if your running the rear as a tube tire in a tubeless rim, are there any problems with that (Heat from friction/doesn't work ect)?
That's a good question...maybe someone here can fill us in.

'94 R100GS/PD

'06 F650GSL
Slope'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #48
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Tubes in GS wheels

Due to the total lack of suitable tires here in Costa Rica, I have been forced to run a number of less than desirable tire combos, including tubes in GS wheels. What I found regarding tubes in GS wheels is, they dont like lower pressures. The Arkont rims have a very sharp inner profile(a channel in the center) that tends to pinch the tubes when used off road at pressures less than 25 p.s.i. If one needs to run a tube, even for a street only apillcation, I would recommend a high quality, heavy-duty tube.
I am currently running a Pirelli MT40 frt. tire and a Kenda K657 rear. The Pirelli is a 300x21 51R rated tube-type tire that Im running tubeless and it looses about about 5 p.s.i. a week. Its really a tire more suitable for an Enduro. The 3.00 cross section is narrower than a 90\90 with a resulting smaller contact patch. This lends the frt. end a slightly twitchy feeling, but not to the point of being unsafe.
The Kenda K657 is a street\cruiser tire in the 130\90x17 size and it just barely fit.
Im hopeful that some Shinko 705s(Yokohama copies) will be available soon.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #49
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
Used to run Saharas back in early 90's: Liked them a lot but was looking for a little more mileage with a little less price.

Found the Gripsters: Loved them, ran them for years. Looked for something to do big trips on with more mileage.

Found the Avon Distanzia: Could never put my finger on it but someone on here said they were a slow reacting tire. That is exactly what they are. I had a new to me 95 airhead GS and I thought it was just me getting used to the new bike. Better mileage but I won't have another pair. I'm going back to Gripsters.

Maxxis 6006: Are fun to play with for 100 bucks. Not great on the road but fun in the dirt. I probably never would have bought a pair but a few of us around here bought a tire changer so it's easy to change out if I know I'm going to be on the road for awhile.

I might try the TKC 80s next before I go back to the Gripster

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:54 AM   #50
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Anakees on an airhead GS?

I heard a rumor that the Michelin Anakees were the best handling tire for these kind of bikes, does anyone have any experience with them to back this up?
I'm currently running TKCs on my 93 R100GS and love them, they handle well enough to stay on the back bumpers of posers in a Ford GT and some Ferrari on Angeles Crest Hwy in CA, plenty of grip off road in Baja and a weekend off road in Ocotilla Wells, and they are far better to lane split on the freeways on than the Tourances or the Sahara 3s (they don't seem to follow the paint strips as badly)
TKCs make the bike look bad ass too :)
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #51
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Thumb Mitas ... nothing else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum-GS
What other tires (other than TKC 80's) are you guys running on your GS's, G/S's, and PD's that will do well on the street, and not so bad on the gravel, etc.??

Mitas E08.
- much "rounder" profile than the Metzeler E4: better handling.
- grip is clearly the best I ever experienced on my GS. Wet grip is truly unbelievable.
- braking performance has clearly improved, too (did I already say "grip" ?)
- front wheel has a rather "open" profile, allowing for very relaxed riding even in deep gravel, where a Metzeler Enduro 4 would simply fail to guide the front wheel.
- The rear tire lasts about 7 Mm, the one on the front wheel about 10 Mm.

... for other tires I've tested (in the past), see http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise...80gs.htm#tires.

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT * Lausanne, Switzerland
My Motorcycle WebPages - LED voltage monitor (aka charge light)
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #52
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Thanks Joerg!
Appreciate your information! I bummed around on your site, and it appears you know your way around the Airhead GS! I've bookmarked your site and will visit again, for sure!

Cheers!
Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #53
Slope'r
Turn'n Valves

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg
Mitas E08.
- much "rounder" profile than the Metzeler E4: better handling.
- grip is clearly the best I ever experienced on my GS. Wet grip is truly unbelievable.
- braking performance has clearly improved, too (did I already say "grip" ?)
- front wheel has a rather "open" profile, allowing for very relaxed riding even in deep gravel, where a Metzeler Enduro 4 would simply fail to guide the front wheel.
- The rear tire lasts about 7 Mm, the one on the front wheel about 10 Mm.
Great looking tires...Can't seem to find them in the US

'94 R100GS/PD

'06 F650GSL
Slope'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #54
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfoot67
I heard a rumor that the Michelin Anakees were the best handling tire for these kind of bikes, does anyone have any experience with them to back this up?
I had a pair of Anakees on my '92 PD and liked them alot - good all around tire, great in rain. As good as the Tourances they replaced on paved, and far superior in gravel. I did have a bitch of a time mounting them - the stiffer bead just wouldn't stop gushing air and it took forever me to get them to seal.

I just mounted my second pair of Scorpions and like 'em more than Anakees -they've got everything going for them the Anakees do on-road (good wet grip, nice round profile for initiating, low noise, 'bout the same mileage), and feel much better off-road. And I had no trouble putting 'em on the other night!

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #55
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
I had a pair of Anakees on my '92 PD and liked them alot - good all around tire, great in rain. As good as the Tourances they replaced on paved, and far superior in gravel. I did have a bitch of a time mounting them - the stiffer bead just wouldn't stop gushing air and it took forever me to get them to seal.

I just mounted my second pair of Scorpions and like 'em more than Anakees -they've got everything going for them the Anakees do on-road (good wet grip, nice round profile for initiating, low noise, 'bout the same mileage), and feel much better off-road. And I had no trouble putting 'em on the other night!

Yo Gringo! What model, etc. of the Scorps did you put on your PD?

Booj.
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #56
Gringo
simple by nature

The S/T. I'm not sure the AT comes in tubeless, but anyway the S/T is the one Pirelli's site pointed me to for the R100GS/PD.

here are the product codes, etc. clipped from my recent SW Moto tires order:

MT9010 Pirelli MT90 S/T 130/80HR-17 Tubeless Rear 1 $88.95 $88.95
MT9003 Pirelli MT90 S/T 90/90H-21 Tubeless Front 1 $84.95 $84.95

and they gave me free shipping! This is my 4th or 5th pair of tires from them and I see no reason to go anyplace else. Nice folks, and the one time I had a problem they took real good care of me.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #57
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Gringo, how many miles are the Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts good for?
It seems the philosophy for tires that work well in the dirt for a 400+ lb dirtbike is slightly different than for normal dirtbikes, the added weight actually seems to help less aggressive tires be more effective. That being said, the Pirelli S/T's don't even look mildly aggressive, yet you like them better than Tourances off road? How are they compared to the Gripsters off road and mileage wise?
Thanks
Sidenote: TKCs also worked pretty well on the MX track at Glen Helen yesterday afternoon, much better than the suspension on the GS for landing jumps and choppy sections of the track. Wish I had some pictures...
What kind of an idiot rides a GS on a MX track? :)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #58
Tony Graf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I wish you had some pictures too!
Tony Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #59
Gringo
simple by nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfoot67
Gringo, how many miles are the Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts good for?
It seems the philosophy for tires that work well in the dirt for a 400+ lb dirtbike is slightly different than for normal dirtbikes, the added weight actually seems to help less aggressive tires be more effective. That being said, the Pirelli S/T's don't even look mildly aggressive, yet you like them better than Tourances off road? How are they compared to the Gripsters off road and mileage wise?
Thanks
Sidenote: TKCs also worked pretty well on the MX track at Glen Helen yesterday afternoon, much better than the suspension on the GS for landing jumps and choppy sections of the track. Wish I had some pictures...
What kind of an idiot rides a GS on a MX track? :)
I had ~8,000 miles on the Scorpions I just took off - they prolly had 1500 miles left in 'em but I had to take my bike up for its annual state inspection at the local Harley shop (my only option ) and they're real fussy about tire tread depth DAMHIK...

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I've had Saharas, Gripsters, Tourances, Anakees, and Scorpions on this bike, and was astounded at how well the Scorpions did in dirt - they gave me a feeling of security on dirt that I never felt with the Tourances and Anakees; the Saharas and Gripsters prolly didn't get a fair test, it was in the early years of ownership and I didn't have the confidence yet to push 'em hard offroad.

Of the tires in my list, the Tourances are at the bottom of the heap off-pavement but are real nice on it, and IMHO are the highest mileage tire out there for these bikes. My all-round current favorite is Scorpion S/T's; maybe biased more toward street but surprisingly good in dirt. I'd love to try some TKC's but just can't justify them where I live - I'd burn half the tread off just getting to where I can really enjoy a tire like that. But I have seen 'em perform surprisingly well on pavement on oilhead GS's driven aggressively... and they are definitely the most bad-ass looking tire you can put on your GS!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #60
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Sold! on a new set of Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts.
Tires on the GS are easy enough to change with a set of tire levers when the beads are not super tight like the anakees sound or the tourances are. The TKCs are suprisingly competent in the twisties. They have a very round profile that allow the bike to lean nicely into the turns (no chicken strips on my outside knobbs). But I hate the idea of wasting a good dirt tire lanesplitting and on pavement only roadtrips. I'm all about a tire that feels good-the more it inspires confidence the better.
It also sounds like a good tire to do a track day (road) on.