ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #91
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,972
damn Germans with their specific orientations!

Looks funky Firestorm-- pull it and re-do.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #92
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Hello all,
I just finally got the new tires on tonight (Pirelli Scorpion ST's). The tire's arrived from SW Moto two days after I ordered them. I have just been really busy with work with very little free time and I was just able to get the tires changed and balanced a couple of days ago. I just rode around the neighborhood a couple of times to try them out but, I will go on a ride with pictures and tell how I like them when I am able to get the time.
Well it's been over a month with the the Pirelli Scorpion ST's. Unfortunately I have not been riding that much this past month, just to work and and all over Phoenix, and I have not tried the tire's off-road yet. But so far, I like the tires. It does ride a little better than the TKC 80's (On road) I had on before, but not that much of a difference (Which surprised me, I guess the TKC 80's just ride really well for a knobby tire). The tire's do howl (As mentioned by previous reviewers of this tire). It's not that bad, once you go faster than 40 Mph you start to hear it, but with ear plugs and a helmet + Wind noise you don't notice it. Right now the tire's still looks very new, looks like they are gonna be on the bike for a while. Another rider told me about these tires, and how great they were working for him (He had the tubed version, im using the tubeless) and how they get around 10K miles. So im pretty optimistic about how there gonna do in the long run. I'll update this once I do more riding and take the bike off-road again.

Note: I have no connection with the tire companies or the places that sell them. This is just a review.

TKC 80's in this pic.

Firestorm screwed with this post 07-11-2006 at 03:00 AM
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #93
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,818
Put 17k kms on the last pair of Tourances and liked the way they worked on pavement, wet and dry. Not too aggressive, just enough bite to allow smooth, arcing, no-suprise slides when pushed hard, with the slushy rear radial prompting comfortable amounts of oversteer. Nice stuff.

On gravel roads, however, they were "okay" as long as you didn't have to turn.... Which is to say, they left much to be desired.

Enter the Gripster:

Fun wow. These things are road racing slicks cut to look like dual purpose tires. On pavement they work MUCH better than T'rances, providing noticabley higher degrees of traction. But the sticky compound isn't the whole story.

The rear 130/80-17 is taller and has firmer sidewalls than the radial T'rance. which is sorta nice because, imho....

1: GS/PD's are geared too low.

2: The added rear ride height improves/quickens steering characteristics. It's actually a dramatic difference in handling you can feel immediately over the T'rances. When combined with the slightly shorter, narrower and much stickier front Gripster, the difference is very pronounced. Results in steering that's much more aggressive. Adds heartily to the fun quotient.

3: Stiffer carcasses mean sharper response and chassis feedback, too.

On gravel roads the Gripsters have it all over the T'rances. The front provides enough traction around bends to allow throttle steering shennanigans that T'rances would NEVER permit, and the rear finds traction just about anywhere this side of greasy mud.

Nice stuff in the dirt.... for a great street tire.

Wear: At 10k kms, my first set of Gripsters look good for another 3 or 4k kms. THIS is amazing, as the grip they provide prepaired me for early replacement.... It wasn't to be. I'm still a little mistified how they last as well as they do for the traction they permit???
Attached Images

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #94
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Oddometer: 516
Not sure if Mitas have been mentioned. If anyone has put some miles on a set of Mitas, please state the pros and cons.
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape
The purpose of fun is to have it
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #95
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
TKC 80's Update.........

I have TKC's on my PD, and now have 5,200 miles on them. The front is in great shape, and the rear still has about 25% of the tread left!
I am hoping to get another 1,000-1,250 miles before I replace the rear with another TKC.

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #96
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum-GS
I have TKC's on my PD, and now have 5,200 miles on them. The front is in great shape, and the rear still has about 25% of the tread left!
I am hoping to get another 1,000-1,250 miles before I replace the rear with another TKC.

Boojum!
FYI, I have 8,000 miles on my TKC80's. They're somewhat squared off but still have knobs. It's my first experience w/the tire (any tire for that matter) but that seems quite good.
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"

Tantrum screwed with this post 08-10-2006 at 07:22 AM
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #97
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
FYI, I have 8,000 miles on my TKC80's. They're somewhat squared off but still have knobs. It's my first experience w/the tire (any tire for that matter) but that seems quite good.

Daaaaaaaaamn!! Ya Da Man, Tantrum! You must be EASY on the right hand, and weigh about 100lbs!

Boojum!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #98
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum-GS
Daaaaaaaaamn!! Ya Da Man, Tantrum! You must be EASY on the right hand, and weigh about 100lbs!

Boojum!
Actually, I'm Da woman !!!!!!

Yes, I'm not as assertive on the 650's throttle! But, you could'nt tell from my speeding tickets
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #99
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Actually, I'm Da woman !!!!!!

Yes, I'm not as assertive on the 650's throttle! But, you could'nt tell from my speeding tickets

Plus your on a lighter bikes as well ! You Da Woman!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #100
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
I thought gripsters were the ticket, road about 5,000 miles on a set did pavement, wet pavement, gravel, rocks, whatever...

Then I bought a set of TKC's, and after the first 500 miles on I'm not going back to gripsters
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #101
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Pirelli Scorpion S/T Update

It's been 7200 miles on the Scorpions on my 93 R100GS and the rear is not flat spotted yet. These tires handle incredibly well on pavement, I'm amazed at how much lean angle I get out of the bike in the twisties. They're great road trip tires, having taken me to Glacier National Park and back with a good mix of twisties and fireroads along the way. They are definately better handling at the same mileage than Tourances are. I'm planning to do a track day on them on October 2nd at Buttonwillow, it might be close depending on how much commuting happens between now and then.
Off road they do pretty well for what they are. They handled a triple black diamond trail called the Rowhler Trail in so Cal no problem. I ran it from Rowher Flats to Boquet Canyon and did everything except going down the crazy steep rocky down hill section at the end. The bike went up anything I threw at it as long as it was hardpack/rocky terrain.
They really don't like the soft stuff to much, any kind of a loose hill climb forget about it...there is one particular hill climb that the bike on TKCs made it up fine but on the scorpions it came to rest on the windshield and left fairing with the rear tire pointing straight up in the air.
The TKCs are perfect for hanging the tail out but the scorpions really don't like to get sideways at all-the front just wants to washout. Suprisingly enough though, they can be coaxed into going pretty fast in the dirt by leaning the bike way over through the turns.
Overall I like them and I'll buy another set. They are easy enough to change that it's almost worth it to swap back and forth between these and a set of TKCs, using the pirellis for twisties and lane splitting and the TKCs for hill climbing and getting sideways.
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #102
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Well, after a mostly fruitless search for tires here during the last six months, suddenly there are options.
Was in my favorite motorcycle accessory store in San Jose and they had MT 60's, MT90's(AT), Kenda's and Maxxis Traxxers(M6017).
I bought a frt. Traxxer and ordered a rear.
Soon I'll be ready to go road racing, because these are sipped race tires that use an intermediate road race compound. Very soft.
I actually need these tires like I need a hole in the head, but they were cheap, frt-$47 and rear-$44(?).
I do have an extra set of wheels and I expect these will make outstanding rain tires.
From what I can tell on-line, these are not available in the States, but possibly in Canada.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 AM   #103
Thunderbird 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I know some people find tyre discussions boring but the more info I can find on the subject the better. So here's my experiences with a F650GS:

OE tyres were Bridgestone Trail Wings. Not a bad tyre on wet or dry seal and OK on bone dry dirt roads. But if the dirt road was wet it paid to take a lot of care (incidentally, in New Zealand back country dirt roads tend to be clay based with a layer of crushed volcanic rock or screened river gravel on top). I replaced the rear at 8 397km. It was still legal (just) and probably would have given another 1 500km but it punctured so decided to replace early.

Fitted a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T. Was expecting good things from this given Pirelli's reputation but was actually disappointed. OK on dry seal. Had a couple of moments on wet seal. About the same as Trail Wing on dry dirt road; maybe a little better on wet. But not much. Tread at legal limit at 8 801 km. Wouldn't go there again.

Then a Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3. Brilliant! Great grip on wet or dry seal or dirt roads. Couldn't fault it. I've read of people saying that these wear quickly but I got 9 293km from it before it became illegal, so actually BETTER mileage than the Bridgestone or Pirelli. Perhaps the high wear rate is on heavier, more powerful bikes than the little old 650GS.

The biggest downside with the Sahara 3 is price. So next up was an IRC GP110R. Much cheaper than Metzeler, Pirelli or a Bridgestone. OK on dry seal. OK on wet seal but not really "confidence inspiring". Not bad on wet or dry dirt roads. Surprisingly perhaps, I'd fit one of these before another Pirelli. Still on the bike. Has done about 6 700km and still has quite a bit of tread left. Perhaps these will be high mileage tyres making them even better value for money? Only problem is noise. When leaned over they howl something wicked!

Front tyre wise I got 16 370km from the OE Trail Wing. Then found it's very hard to find dual purpose tyres in a 19'' front. So fitted another Trail Wing. Comments for the front Wings same as those above for the rear. Got 15 790km from the second one. By this stage I'd discovered that Metzeler now made the Sahara 3 in a 19'' front. Wasn't available from stock in NZ but was promised one within 3 months. Fortunately I had made enquiries well before it was needed. However, local importers/distributors had the order cancelled by Metzeler (at least that's what I was eventually told) because they refused to supply just one example. I actually find this hard to believe. Biggest issue though was that the NZ agents didn't bother to tell the dealer I'd ordered through so both them and I were sitting waiting for it to arrive and only discovered it had been "cancelled" when we made enquiries about a delivery date. Not good enough!

So fitted a Mitas EO7 instead. Have only put about 1500 km on it but proving to be very good. Much better than Trail Wing on dirt roads and seems fine on wet or dry seal. Not a bad price either.

So, may try a Mitas EO7 rear when the IRC expires. Or may go back to the Metzeler- expensive, but what price safety and performance?

That's my experience. Hopefully of interest to someone. Would like to hear about other's experiences with Mitas.
Thunderbird 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #104
Boojum OP
I Miss the PartyBoss

Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara

OK, So I'm trying to decide on which tire I'd like to run on the PD. The TKC on the rear is getting down below 20% of tread life at 6,300 miles. I'd like to run the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara's, but I can NOT, for the life of me, find this in a Tubeless REAR! Did I not read a post from someone saying they had them in both, TUBE & TUBELESS? Maybe I'm just Hopped Up on that Crack, but I really thought I saw that somewhere. The front is a Tubeless, but can't find a rear. Can anyone confirm one or both of the following?: 1. There is a Tubeless Tire in a 130-80 17, or Yes, I'm on Crack!.......Take Your Shots!
Maybe I should just go back with the TKC...................................

Boojum!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #105
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
Per the Metzeler site..

http://www.metzelermoto.com/en_86/ti...ductid%3D16820

it exists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.