BonneRocker screwed with this post 04-07-2006 at 11:13 AM
BonneRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumptastic
First off, he has a new baby boy. I don't think he should take the risk, right now. He has said several things that send up red flags to me... for instance:
"I rode an 80cc when I was in second grade. I need at least 150cc to get to work. " (wisdom: start small, work yer way up) (reality: bigger,better,faster--sure I'll sell ya a Huyabusa)
I think he's right to consider a 150, unless he's in an area where a 50cc bike is in its sweet spot of a 35-40mph cruise in dense traffic where it's doing similar speed. If a 50 will do--safely--tell him. But make sure you know what his commute will require so that he's not underpowered.

Quote:
"There are half a dozen newbie riders in my office, they do fine...." (so far... and I know they all ride huge, heavy hogs--not brand-bashing, just sayin')
Perhaps they took MSF and are in fact growing into the sport well.

Quote:
"Why is it so important to wear gloves? (ever crashed a two wheeler before?)
So tell him why it's important to wear gloves. There is no such thing as a stupid question from a n00b. It's how they become ex-n00bs and non-squids.

Quote:
"I am not a daredevil or a WOT kind of person." (then why would you want to ride a motorcycle?)
Not all motorcyclists are daredevils or WOT people. In fact, I'd be worried if he had said the opposite, or that the riders around him told him that they are daredevils.

Quote:
(you have to be a bit of a risk-taker to be on two wheels in a sea of hulking, multi ton vehicles, right?)
You need to know how to assess and manage your risk.

Quote:
He claims he'll "save a lot on gas..." big deal
Maybe not to you, but to many people it is. For me, in fact, it's my primary reason for scooter commuting instead of using my 1150GS or Jeep.

Quote:
He has used the word "hobby" when referring to riding. I don't see it that way. I think it is passion (or had better become one to keep you riding, practicing evasive manuvers, learning something everytime you ride) that requires a certain degree of dedication. It ain't golf. It's not a basketball that you fill up with air and you're ready to go.
Different words. Not everyone feels the same way, and even so, why judge how he'll be as a rider based on his current n00b choice of words? Passion can also imply a lack of clear-headed thought processes. So don't be picky on words--he only knows what he's seen and read. If he were a 300K rider perhaps his word choices would be different. Right now two of his primary influences are 1) the other HD n00bs and 2) you. What kind of information is he getting from those two sources? What kind of information and vibe are you giving him? Consider also that if he's dead-set on riding, and you tell him to NOT ride, he'll simply turn his attention to soaking up info from n00b riders who may not be as experienced.

Quote:
I really feel like some people should not be on a motorcycle and my accident-prone, non-graceful, new father, very good friend. that wants a new "hobby" should maybe take up something that is less dangerous.
You get to tell him that. You get to tell him it takes a commitment to safety or else he'll be a smear on the pavement leaving a widow and fatherless child...or risk serious injury that will change their lives forever. That's valid and I think it's worth an eye-to-eye serious talk with your friend. Just because it's a small, cute bike doesn't mean it's any less capable of killing him should he get lax. Y

Quote:
Secretly, I want him to take a safety course (MSF), drop the bike, get kicked out, re-think why he's doing this and reconsider. He is a really bad driver and (like many) thinks he is an excellent driver.
The first thing I suggest to any n00b is to get into an MSF BRC or MSF scooter class and in the second breath I provide them with the contact info they need to do so. From there, let the ridercoach work with him. If you have not taken MSF, take it with him. You'll have fun, and will be able to reinforce what he learns as he grows, using the same terminology.

Quote:
I guessthat makes me a jerk for not wanting my buddy to enjoy what we enjoy...but I think it's not for everyone, right?
Instead of being judge/jury on this, refer him to an MSF course that will help him explore skills and judgement in a safe environment. His verbage reflects what he knows about riding now, but not what he *can* know given the right training and mentoring afterwards.

Quote:
Have you seen the type I'm talking about? I'm not obligated to keep my friend safe from danger. I feel like he will decide soon and I hope he has listened to all that I have told him, and I hope he starts small.
I see it in every MSF class I teach.

I have counselled-out those who do not have their head in the game. But I have some yardsticks to use to make that determination. And in the end, every rider is responsible for their own safety.

Get him into MSF, and be a good mentor by demonstrating good ATGATT habits and good judgment on the street.

If he's an absolutely clueless turd behind the wheel, and you have real instances to refer to, tell him how those lapses in attention could kill him.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
BonneRocker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Thanks Photog

BonneRocker screwed with this post 03-20-2007 at 07:28 AM
BonneRocker is offline   Reply With Quote