User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Sidecars on newer scooters -- options?

I've been intrigued recently with scooters (thanks mostly to this forum), and especially sidecar-equipped scooters for around town stuff. In my casual research, I keep seeing examples of Cozy sidecars on Stellas and Bajajs. I love the classic look, but am curious if there are other options.

Anyone have pics of sidecars mounted up to Piaggios or new Vespas (LX150, ET4, etc.) or even a Honda hack? I'm most interested in something in the 150cc range, prefer automatic/CVT transmission and it's gotta be a 4-stroker (which sadly rules out the Stella).

Thanks,
--Douglas
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas80210
I've been intrigued recently with scooters (thanks mostly to this forum), and especially sidecar-equipped scooters for around town stuff. In my casual research, I keep seeing examples of Cozy sidecars on Stellas and Bajajs. I love the classic look, but am curious if there are other options.

Anyone have pics of sidecars mounted up to Piaggios or new Vespas (LX150, ET4, etc.) or even a Honda hack? I'm most interested in something in the 150cc range, prefer automatic/CVT transmission and it's gotta be a 4-stroker (which sadly rules out the Stella).

Thanks,
--Douglas
There is a guy here in Nashville with a Texas Sidecar on his Silverwing. He carries his Golder Retreviers around in it, and they love it!

That said, I can't see why almost any scooter of sufficient displacement (and I'll leave that up to you and your particular application to decide) couldn't be fitted with a sidecar. Check out Texas Sidecars ( www.texassidecars.com/ )and also Autobahn Craftwerks ( www.autobahn-craftwerks.com/ ). They both have quite a bit of experience doing this.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Wow John™, thanks for the quick reply -- and the links. This is what makes this forum so great. Anyone else?
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
UberXY
Patent Pending

Oddometer: 131
I talked to a hardcore Vespa rider yesterday, and he says the ticket with the new Vespas is the Cozy. The new fuel injected Vespa 250 ought to be able to haul a sidecar, no problem. I'm thinking about one of these rigs to run errands in town.

Ub
UberXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
BonneRocker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Cozy's the one...

I've heard that they are well made and durable. Royal Enfield is hawking them on their website (not scooters, I know) good pictures though
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/produ...roducts_id=156
Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
Scrat_hack
Scooterhack rider

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas80210
I've been intrigued recently with scooters (thanks mostly to this forum), and especially sidecar-equipped scooters for around town stuff.
If it's for around town, I'd suggest one of the smaller scooters with sidecar. The Silverwing with sidecar (what I ride) is going to set you back $9-12K depending on if you find a good price for a new/used SW and the sidecar you choose. IMO, something as big as a Silverwing hack is for long hauls. I take mine on x-country rides and stow camping stuff for weekend trips to the mountains. Also, if you go with a sidecar, you are placing yourself in a smaller network of riders. They are the coolest thing to hit the block; I'll never go back to two wheels; but you will have issues that only a smaller enclave of riders will understand.

Terri
http://www.maxi-scoots.com
Scrat_hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Thumb

Sounds good but check out a Burgman 650 for a rig base before you plunk down big $$$ on a SW. Burgman has a true seperate swing arm / frame configuration without the motor hanging out back (ie more like a motorcycle).
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Check this out on Cycle Trader http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/3/82973433.htm

It caught my eye while looking for a deal on a Silverwing.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Scrat_hack
Scooterhack rider

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stofer
Check this out on Cycle Trader http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/3/82973433.htm

It caught my eye while looking for a deal on a Silverwing.
Holeee crap! THAT'S A STEAL! That looks like the Ranger model sidecar (same as on mine). Just the sidecar (plus paint match and installation) comes close to $6000.
Scrat_hack is offline   Reply With Quote