User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
XR500 thread

Hey guys. Just going to start a xr500 thread to see other bikes like mine. Post your pictures of your favorite Xr500's getting down and dirty.

Also this was the xr a while ago. I have a Cobra exhaust, the tank decals were cleaned off, plastics polished, and swingarm decals detailed.

Enjoy
--Lil smokey--
Attached Images

I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
lilsmokey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
seth0941
NW Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 481
My new toy

seth0941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
2muchtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Keep them coming guys !!! I got a 1983 XR500 this month. Bike has been sitting for a looong time. Engine was not turning. After taking the top end apart found the reason. Both ex valves are bend. I suspect camshaft chain skip a tooth or something a lot of slack in the chain plus one of the rails was broken in half. Bike is all original with minimal mechanical wear. The piston has four valve grooves bigger for the ex much smaller for the in . It looks like the original piston ???
2muchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
I think lilsmokey sold his bike. I saw an ad on Craigs with a link to his thread here on ADV. FYI

Here are my XR500Rs:

The dual sported 84:

The 83 built back to running from parts n pieces:

Here is what the 83 looked like when I got it and another 84 for $100:
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
2muchtime
Adventurer

Nice !!! What did you do with the reed valve ? Kept it, or mod it like the '87 ?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime View Post
Nice !!! What did you do with the reed valve ? Kept it, or mod it like the '87 ?
I made my heads like the 85 dual carb, by plugging the reed port holes.
Here is a photo:

The plugs are turned/cut from Aluminum stock. I made them to be a slight press fit. My heads had different sized reed valve port holes. So the 83 has slightly larger plugs. The right plug has a fancy groove in it done by hand with files so that the valve cover gasket and valve cover will sit flush to the gasket surfaces. I made a pattern out of wood dowels to get this right the first time. There are punch centering recesses in the top of the plugs to make tapping them in easier.

The much easier way to plug up the holes is to get a newer style valve cover gasket (metal) that has the reed valve chamber closed up. I did it the hard way because I had the 83/4 XR5 Athena valve cover gaskets which were silicone coated. They seal up much better than a plain stock Honda gasket. Other builders have been using sealer on the Honda gasket to get the leak proof seal. The sealer they use is the good stuff like Honda bond, and it is applied in a thin coat to prevent excess, sealer boogers getting into your engine. Search around here on ADV and you can see photos of this for the other RFVC engine builds. There should be some photos on the XRL and XR/L 600 threads. Here is a link to Steve's (mcma111) latest photo on doing this and he has better descriptions of the process elsewhere here on ADV:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2555

I ditched the 83 carb boots that lack the cross port passageway, don't plug the reed valve and also run the 83 boots, the right intake valve won't get its cooling air/fuel at idle with the 83 boots and no reed valve. I used 84 carb boots and insulators on both of my XR500s. I think the 84 XR5 insulator is the best as it has the largest port holes. Some of the newer XL/R insulators have stopped down port holes. Look at these photos, top boot on the carbs is from the 83 and lacks the cross port passageway. One insulator is from the 84 XR5, the other insulator is from an 86 XR6, with stopped down port holes. Note: the insulator is a used part only, not available new anymore.

I also upgraded my oiling systems by using the later style pump with internal shaft seals and changed oil pump drive gears to get slightly more oil volume per RPM. Lastly I used some high temperature silicone sealer to plug up the small holes between the cam bearing and the head to make sure that all the oil went into the cam like in the newer RFVC engines.

Probably overkill, as my 'good' 84 engine survived 24 years with original components before I took it apart.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
seth0941
NW Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 481
Anyone have a downloadable service manual? Mine is a 79
seth0941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
2muchtime
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
I made my heads like the 85 dual carb, by plugging the reed port holes.
Here is a photo:

The plugs are turned/cut from Aluminum stock. I made them to be a slight press fit. My heads had different sized reed valve port holes. So the 83 has slightly larger plugs. The right plug has a fancy groove in it done by hand with files so that the valve cover gasket and valve cover will sit flush to the gasket surfaces. I made a pattern out of wood dowels to get this right the first time. There are punch centering recesses in the top of the plugs to make tapping them in easier.

The much easier way to plug up the holes is to get a newer style valve cover gasket (metal) that has the reed valve chamber closed up. I did it the hard way because I had the 83/4 XR5 Athena valve cover gaskets which were silicone coated. They seal up much better than a plain stock Honda gasket. Other builders have been using sealer on the Honda gasket to get the leak proof seal. The sealer they use is the good stuff like Honda bond, and it is applied in a thin coat to prevent excess, sealer boogers getting into your engine. Search around here on ADV and you can see photos of this for the other RFVC engine builds. There should be some photos on the XRL and XR/L 600 threads. Here is a link to Steve's (mcma111) latest photo on doing this and he has better descriptions of the process elsewhere here on ADV:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2555

I ditched the 83 carb boots that lack the cross port passageway, don't plug the reed valve and also run the 83 boots, the right intake valve won't get its cooling air/fuel at idle with the 83 boots and no reed valve. I used 84 carb boots and insulators on both of my XR500s. I think the 84 XR5 insulator is the best as it has the largest port holes. Some of the newer XL/R insulators have stopped down port holes. Look at these photos, top boot on the carbs is from the 83 and lacks the cross port passageway. One insulator is from the 84 XR5, the other insulator is from an 86 XR6, with stopped down port holes. Note: the insulator is a used part only, not available new anymore.

I also upgraded my oiling systems by using the later style pump with internal shaft seals and changed oil pump drive gears to get slightly more oil volume per RPM. Lastly I used some high temperature silicone sealer to plug up the small holes between the cam bearing and the head to make sure that all the oil went into the cam like in the newer RFVC engines.

Probably overkill, as my 'good' 84 engine survived 24 years with original components before I took it apart.
Sweet ! Thank you for taking the time to expand on my question. I appreciate it. I quess I have some tinkering ahead of me .....he he
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
2muchtime
Adventurer

One more question . Is the piston original or not as shown in those pictures. Thanks http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...sgr/?start=all
Old 09-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth0941 View Post
Anyone have a downloadable service manual? Mine is a 79
Closest I've got is a link to the Italian site that has an XL500 manual (82?) on it in English (first group in the list):
http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime View Post
One more question . Is the piston original or not as shown in those pictures. Thanks http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/w...sgr/?start=all
That is the stock Honda piston.

If its the 92.0 original piston, its probably worn past the limits. My 84 with its original piston was still running quite well when I started the rebuild, but the cylinder to piston was over the limit, and the ring gaps were way over the limit.

I had a hard time finding a 92.25 1st oversize Honda piston and ring set. Its also discontinued, but there were some Honda parts dealers that had old stock on the shelf when I was looking. The place that I got mine from has since sold out. Do a google search with the Honda part number for the piston or just get an aftermarket slug if you prefer.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

OK, I reread your description above and if the bike was blown up awhile ago, the perhaps your piston isn't worn out nearly as far as my 84.

If the part checks out, then run it
Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
2muchtime
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
OK, I reread your description above and if the bike was blown up awhile ago, the perhaps your piston isn't worn out nearly as far as my 84.

If the part checks out, then run it
Leaning towards keeping it. I Measured the cylinder sleeve ID at 91.80mm. Piston looks pretty good. Do you know the service limit #'s for sleeve and piston ? Thanks

Bike has been sitting for at least 15 years.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Before you ask , no I do not have a soft copy of the 83/4 manual. I got mine on ebay and I strongly suggest folks get one before doing engine rebuilding. There is a soft copy of the 83/4 XL600 on the Italian site I linked to above. That will cover most of it.

Having said that, you should also know that there are mistakes in the Factory XR5 manual. The numbers you have requested are on a page with mistakes.The clymer manual also has this same set of mistakes! In addition, the cam lobe height #s are in error in the factory XR500 manual, but its the same cam as in the XL600 and XR600, so use those numbers for checking your cam wear.

From my factory 83/4 XR5 service manual, service limits are (after adjusting for mistakes):

Cylinder ID: 92.12 mm, 3.627 in
Cyl taper: 0.05 mm, 0.002 in
out of round: 0.05 mm, 0.002 in
warpage top: 0.10 mm, 0.004 in

Piston skirt OD: 91.85 mm, 3.616 in
pin bore: 22.08 mm, 0.869 in (I think that is right, but check yours)
piston to pin clearance: 0.07 mm, 0.003 in
pin OD: 21.95 mm, 0.864 in

Cyl to piston clearance: 0.10 mm, 0.004 in (not sure about this number, my machinist gave me a 'small hair' over 3 thou on my over bore for clearance with the new piston, which seems to be working well at the moment. I measured 8 thou on the original piston and cylinder and decided to get the 1st over replacement).

ring gap top/2nd: 0.50 mm, 0.020 in
ring gap oil: no limit number, just says 0.2-0.9 mm, 0.007-0.035 in

ring to groove clearance top: 0.12 mm, 0.006 in
2nd: same as top

I do have a pdf file of the 84 'owners manual'. If you want a copy, PM me a email address that will accept larger attachments.