User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
poomero OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
real world ktm 500 exc impressions

Know that the 500 has been out for a few years what do you think? Where have you taken it? How did it hold up to your expectations? What didn't you like about it? What type of riding do you do with it?

Any and all advice would be great.

I looked before I posted this I didn't see anything on it. sorry if it is a double post.
poomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 692
My suggestion would be to read this whole thread. I don't own a 500, but it is on my radar as well so I've been following along: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682150

It's a couple hours worth of reading, with a lot of repetition (like most all long running threads) but will likely answer more questions than you could think to ask. If you still have questions after reading that thread, I would post them in the same thread as it will get more traffic from actual 500 owners instead of people like me!
Old 07-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,171
there's so many diques around here!....

whatta U, the librarian?....

if you don't know the answer to the guy's question, then STFU!....

sheesh......
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
there's so many diques around here!....

whatta U, the librarian?....

if you don't know the answer to the guy's question, then STFU!....

sheesh......
I must have missed the answer or any other useful information in your response davesupreme? I thought that a link to the 500 thread with the most traffic would be useful to someone who only had 7 posts and may not be familiar with the site. Not trying to be a dick at all... yourself on the other hand?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,583
dave's just trying to be funny
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
poomero OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
My suggestion would be to read this whole thread. I don't own a 500, but it is on my radar as well so I've been following along: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682150

It's a couple hours worth of reading, with a lot of repetition (like most all long running threads) but will likely answer more questions than you could think to ask. If you still have questions after reading that thread, I would post them in the same thread as it will get more traffic from actual 500 owners instead of people like me!
I have been reading it and thanks for the link. I just wanted some direct real world feedback on the bike. I know I don't have a ton of post but I do read the forum a lot.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
PlatedDirtBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Imagine being a Supercross rider, winning the night's main event, and then riding the same race bike home from the race. It's kinda like that.

Imagine finally getting the girl of your dreams, and finding out she is even better than you thought. It's kinda like that.

Showing up at a dualsport event is like showing up at a swim party with Speedos on. It's kinda like that.

Ever seen that Gieco commercial with the motorcyclist with money stuck all over him... with the cash flying off constantly. KTM maintenance... It's kinda like that.

I know this isn't quite what you were looking for, but what the hell. It's kinda like that.
God, guns and guts. KTM 500 EXC, BMW F 650 GS (800), YAMMY 225 XT & TTR 125. Proverbs 25:24 Shut up and Ride!
PlatedDirtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:48 AM   #8
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,107
You love the 500, stoked you got it riding to your woods where you meet that shiny 350exc newer model and feel you just need that one since he seems less tired after a few rounds. And it's sooo shiny!

Still love the 500 though!
That's ktm for you as well. An addiction!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
poomero OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
You love the 500, stoked you got it riding to your woods where you meet that shiny 350exc newer model and feel you just need that one since he seems less tired after a few rounds. And it's sooo shiny!

Still love the 500 though!
That's ktm for you as well. An addiction!
What about real maintenance intervals and cost. How is it on a long ride or a 3 day ride.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,107
Oil is cheaper than pistons. Just stick to 15hours where possible. On a long ride I won't sweat over 30 either. 90hour, no valve adjustment yet.
Second chain, several rears and second front twice rear bearings, due to my own fault.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
poomero OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Oil is cheaper than pistons. Just stick to 15hours where possible. On a long ride I won't sweat over 30 either. 90hour, no valve adjustment yet.
Second chain, several rears and second front twice rear bearings, due to my own fault.
How does the bike do on a 3 day ride? Highway, what speed can you go without pushing it to hard? I know its a bigger bike but how does it feel on a single track? Does it handle like a 450?

How many miles/hours do you have to change the top end?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatedDirtBike View Post
Imagine being a Supercross rider, winning the night's main event, and then riding the same race bike home from the race. It's kinda like that.

Imagine finally getting the girl of your dreams, and finding out she is even better than you thought. It's kinda like that.

Showing up at a dualsport event is like showing up at a swim party with Speedos on. It's kinda like that.

Ever seen that Gieco commercial with the motorcyclist with money stuck all over him... with the cash flying off constantly. KTM maintenance... It's kinda like that.

I know this isn't quite what you were looking for, but what the hell. It's kinda like that.
That was funny! Thanks for the Saturday morning laugh PlateDirtBike.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
Jury is still out on the top end, lots of riders have been racking up some significant mileage and it's not turned out to be an issue, nor has valve adjustments. Wore out topends usually show up as oil consumption first and that's not been an issue from everything I've been able to discover. Also don't believe the expensive maintenance myth, it flat out isn't true unless you subscribe to KTMs maint intervals based on race use and have a dealer do the work. The 500 has one of the easiest valve adjustments out there, takes all of an hour and doesn't require any special tools or model specific knowledge.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 607
My 500...

I have had my 500 for a year and a half coming from a 2007 RFS 450. Bike is tight, factory suspension setup is still good. Mine uses no oil but I maintain crazy well.

Hard on rear tires!
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
poomero OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
I have had my 500 for a year and a half coming from a 2007 RFS 450. Bike is tight, factory suspension setup is still good. Mine uses no oil but I maintain crazy well.

Hard on rear tires!
Do you stick to the maintenance intervals suggests by ktm. Also what's the longest trip you have gone on with it?