Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #136
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclange View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to sign in and say thanks for all this great info. I've been wanting to get into riding for years now, but am just now getting there (money and a hesitant wife slowed things down). Was fortunate enough to pick up a low mileage '04 625 SXC from a coworker, and will be taking it out for my first "real" day of riding this Saturday with a friend and his boys. Up to this point, my only experience is a motorcycle safety course, riding a simple motocross course for a few hours one time on a 250, and putting in some practice on the KTM at a big parking lot near my place.

Excited to get out there; will just have to take it easy and get comfortable in some more open areas before hitting the wooded trails.

We're headed here, near Oklahoma City:

http://www.lakedraper.com/images/dow...e/trailmap.pdf (they usually stick to the red trail)

More info here, under CrossTimbers: http://www.okiedirtriders.com/

Any advice for a first-timer on single track with a big bike like this would be welcome.

Dave

Dave,
If you don't keep her moving, she'll get hot pretty quick in single-track. Do you have a radiator fan or coolant recovery tank?
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #137
dclange
Let's ride!

Oddometer: 2
No, I don't. Thanks for the heads up. The trail we'll be on is wide enough for ATVs, so hopefully I can keep my speed up and enough air flowing to keep the bike happy.
dclange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #138
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
Most dont know in this thread- but i am stationed in South Korea with my 04 625. my rod was knockin pretty loud and i noticed a slight lose of power on the top end. so i took it to a shop and they torn it all the way down. I needed a new crank/rod/ bearings/cylinder/piston- complete engine rebuild. Let me tell you what Chip Munn from Munn racing in TX really helped me out with get parts/prices- i even shipped him broken parts and he shipped them back. Just amazing service- they race bike and know all about our 625 sxc's (when i was in the states he built a rear cush wheel for me). he stayed late on the phone and gave me helpful advice- top notch down to earth guys...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #139
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
Most dont know in this thread- but i am stationed in South Korea with my 04 625. my rod was knockin pretty loud and i noticed a slight lose of power on the top end. so i took it to a shop and they torn it all the way down. I needed a new crank/rod/ bearings/cylinder/piston- complete engine rebuild. Let me tell you what Chip Munn from Munn racing in TX really helped me out with get parts/prices- i even shipped him broken parts and he shipped them back. Just amazing service- they race bike and know all about our 625 sxc's (when i was in the states he built a rear cush wheel for me). he stayed late on the phone and gave me helpful advice- top notch down to earth guys...
Dirty,
How many miles were on her when she started knocking?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #140
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Laugh City riding update

Hey all,
I've been riding to work this week on basically city streets. The SXC is awesome there, too! It is so fun to roll on and hear the rumble, pop the wheel, etc. Awesome!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #141
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

ya i have a hard time keeping the front wheel down- i actually started to chunck the knobs on the edges of the rear wheel- i had almost 11k. I added an oil cooler a while back and not sure if thaqt was even a good idea and basically somehow my oil got low. one day I rode 300 miles it was fine the next day it was low- so i added some and it seemed fine 250 miles later that day- loud knocking and metal shavings in the oil...i hate the oil site glass- i had a blast for sure though.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #142
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

i even have 17/48 combo and it is still jumpy in first...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #143
massimiliano99
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
i even have 17/48 combo and it is still jumpy in first...
I love on my crazy 625 with 14/45
Attached Images

massimiliano99 screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 12:30 PM
massimiliano99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #144
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimiliano99 View Post

i thought 15/45 was low, but in fact the first import run of 625sxc's in '03 were geared at 15/50. they didnt switch to the higher gearing until the second run.

i don't really understand why you would gear a BIG bike that low though. basically you have made your 5 speed a 4 speed? at that low, what do you need 1st for? most big bike don't get into ANYTHING remotely close to needing a gear ratio like that. plus, i think all it does is cause you to "ring" your bike out, bouncing off the rev limiter. or running higher rpm's for extended times. niether of these are good things for these engines. can you say big-end bearing???

nice looking bike though.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #145
Fener6
The Container Man

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

i thought 15/45 was low, but in fact the first import run of 625sxc's in '03 were geared at 15/50. they didnt switch to the higher gearing until the second run.

i don't really understand why you would gear a BIG bike that low though. basically you have made your 5 speed a 4 speed? at that low, what do you need 1st for? most big bike don't get into ANYTHING remotely close to needing a gear ratio like that. plus, i think all it does is cause you to "ring" your bike out, bouncing off the rev limiter. or running higher rpm's for extended times. niether of these are good things for these engines. can you say big-end bearing???

laramie
On that note, who has a 40T rear sprocket they'd like to sell?
Fener6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #146
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimiliano99 View Post
What kind of tires do you have there? I have Dunlop 606 and they're good for dirt, but I'm not too agressive on dirt, so I'm thinking of something less dirt and more street for the next set.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #147
massimiliano99
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

laramie
Yes is short trasmission ratio but i like, when there are no police around, open gas in 4th and wheelie!
Seriously i drive this bike just for a very short trip, buy cigarettes or go to the beach, if i had to drive for more than 30 km I would change absolutely the sproket so also because now the cruising speed max is 90 km/h (around 55 mph).
Greetings to all forum
Max
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #148
massimiliano99
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCherryinCA View Post
What kind of tires do you have there? I have Dunlop 606 and they're good for dirt, but I'm not too agressive on dirt, so I'm thinking of something less dirt and more street for the next set.
There are Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara, i'm very happy with this tire becouse on the asphalt you can tilt easily and safely.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #149
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Welcome to the group! I was going to say the same thing- mine had 15/48 on it when i bought it- unless you got serious knobbies you arent going to hook up off road- too much torque- ofcourse even with knobbies it still wont hook up- lol i usally live in florida and i couldnt imagine a 14t up front. right now i am riding more road crap too so i can comfortable cruise around 70. I wonder what you combo would be like with street tires! I got a new kenda 270 on the back since i am riding road in korea and trails if i can find them. Havent had this tire on this bike so i will let you know how it goes...
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #150
massimiliano99
n00b

Quote:
Welcome to the group! ...
Thanks so much