Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
manoir OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
LC4 the end true or false

Thanks guys
i am off to the dealer on Sat morn to buy my bike and i still cannot decide 640E or 625 sxc same engine slightly diff specs. But one last question , on a lot of these forums there is talk of the LC4 ending its life and a new version for 07 if this is true do you think it could be a problem down the line to get parts and plastics for LC4s up to 06 ?. My 250 exc r 03 model has been a problem here in Europe as you cannot get any new plastics for it.
As ever i am new here and learning the ropes so i appologise in advance for any bad grahmmyher or speiklling!!! or double double posts
manoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,146
Since it sounds like the oil capacity might be similar now, the only real difference I see between the two is the SXC is tuned higher than the Enduro, particularly with the FCR carb and SXC exhaust (not sure which can the Enduro gets over there).

If that is the case then the only suggestion I can offer is based upon a difference between those two carbs that a fella who probably has more experience than the rest of us with carbs and bikes (I let him introduce himself, if'n I don't misquote him I guess ) told me once.

He said in regards to the FCR (SXC) vs. the BST (Enduro) that the FCR is indeed the higher performance carb in terms of throttle response. If it's the FCR39 then the rest of the performance should be similar to the BST40; if it's the FCR41 than the performance curve will bias towards the top end (sacrificing the low and midrange). Some of that is gleaned from other discussions...

You will read many who say the FCR is necessary; well perhaps it is for some riding styles, but many find the BST's performance quite acceptable. In fact a well setup BST is purported to allow second gear wheelies. I wonder if the folks who couldn't accomplish these did not properly setup their bikes, including (perhaps) a rear suspension that was too soft and absorbed too much of the power during attempted liftoff (via compression). Some of these are my own thoughts, so reader beware.

But the meat () of his comments to me was this: if you are a newer off-road rider (beginner for sure, novice probably, perhaps even intermediate? ), the gentler power characteristics of the BST will compensate for the rider's lack of throttle control and actually help mitigate their lack of skill. The more abrupt FCR throttle response can actually be a liability for a nOOb trying to keep traction or even control variable loss of traction (power turns?).

Not only that but a properly tuned BST will always be more efficient than a properly tuned FCR, so your tank range will be longer. And the BST is less sensitive to altitude changes so should find more flexibility in a given setup when climbing the Alps

Plus chicks dig a fella who do has enough self esteem to pass on unnecessary bling bling...

Now that I have taken what were probably some carefully worded comments and thoroughly run amok with them he will probably show up and slap me about!

PS - regarding the LC4's 'rumored' end of days. I doubt it. KTM has not suffered from it's dogged reliance upon the 'ole LC4 - still winning plenty! I would guess that there will be tweaks, but probably nothing significant enough to cause your bike to become obsolete enough for the parts chain to shut down. Just guessing on my part.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 04-13-2006 at 01:12 PM Reason: forgot some words
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
manoir OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for your time Meat Popsicle i think i will take your advice and go with the Enduro LC4 i had one for two years but never really went hell for leather off road as it was my road bike also but now i have the 950 A i can be a little more reckless well maybe!!
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Since it sounds like the oil capacity might be similar now, the only real difference I see between the two is the SXC is tuned higher than the Enduro, particularly with the FCR carb and SXC exhaust (not sure which can the Enduro gets over there).

If that is the case then the only suggestion I can offer is based upon a difference between those two carbs that a fella who probably has more experience than the rest of us with carbs and bikes (I let him introduce himself, if'n I don't misquote him I guess ) told me once.

He said in regards to the FCR (SXC) vs. the BST (Enduro) that the FCR is indeed the higher performance carb in terms of throttle response. If it's the FCR39 then the rest of the performance should be similar to the BST40; if it's the FCR41 than the performance curve will bias towards the top end (sacrificing the low and midrange). Some of that is gleaned from other discussions...

You will read many who say the FCR is necessary; well perhaps it is for some riding styles, but many find the BST's performance quite acceptable. In fact a well setup BST is purported to allow second gear wheelies. I wonder if the folks who couldn't accomplish these did not properly setup their bikes, including (perhaps) a rear suspension that was too soft and absorbed too much of the power during attempted liftoff (via compression). Some of these are my own thoughts, so reader beware.

But the meat () of his comments to me was this: if you are a newer off-road rider (beginner for sure, novice probably, perhaps even intermediate? ), the gentler power characteristics of the BST will compensate for the rider's lack of throttle control and actually help mitigate their lack of skill. The more abrupt FCR throttle response can actually be a liability for a nOOb trying to keep traction or even control variable loss of traction (power turns?).

Not only that but a properly tuned BST will always be more efficient than a properly tuned FCR, so your tank range will be longer. And the BST is less sensitive to altitude changes so should find more flexibility in a given setup when climbing the Alps

Plus chicks dig a fella who do has enough self esteem to pass on unnecessary bling bling...

Now that I have taken what were probably some carefully worded comments and thoroughly run amok with them he will probably show up and slap me about!

PS - regarding the LC4's 'rumored' end of days. I doubt it. KTM has not suffered from it's dogged reliance upon the 'ole LC4 - still winning plenty! I would guess that there will be tweaks, but probably nothing significant enough to cause your bike to become obsolete enough for the parts chain to shut down. Just guessing on my part.
manoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #19
Roarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
My brother has the LC4 Enduro. I rode his & had to have one. All the dealer had here in Australia was the 625 SXC. This thing rips. Mine is an '05 model -I bought it new in Feb this year. It has the oil in the frame -2.2 litres capacity. Also has an extra oil jet to help cooling. The FCR Keihn flatslide is a beauty. Crisp instant throttle response. The 640 has got a little more urge on about the first 1/4 throttle opening. After that my 625 just runs away. It feels lighter to ride. Also has the more competition orientated aluminium silencer. I dropped a bit more cash on mine & fitted the 18 litre tank & comfort seat. You only notice the extra weight when the tank is chock full & you are pushing the bike out of the shed or doing a U turn at 5 km/hr. Will still lift the front up in 2nd gear just on the gas with a full tank. A little bit more effort required in 3rd gear It is the best thing I have ever owned. The only problem I have with mine is trying to keep rear tyres on it I ride mine as a true duel sport -ridden to where I want to ride, flogged around the dirt all day & then ridden home. Happily cruises on the road at 110 -120km/hr as far as you want. I love my KTM
Roarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #20
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Just talked to one of the local dealers and they said they could special order the 07 ...Into the US....
Not sure on price yet..
Once I sell off my other (2) bikes. I will fill you in...

Check with your dealer, unless he has a 640 on the floor They should be able to order one for you....

KTM might even be shipping them into the US next year.. who knows.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #21
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiv
Just talked to one of the local dealers and they said they could special order the 07 ...Into the US....
Not sure on price yet..
Once I sell off my other (2) bikes. I will fill you in...

Check with your dealer, unless he has a 640 on the floor They should be able to order one for you....

KTM might even be shipping them into the US next year.. who knows.
Ok, got a response -- The sales guy was wrong --(nothing new there, he didn't even know what it was)..
He said he called the regional sales manager for KTM and asked about importing -- No can do..
Reason it is not being sold in the US -- according to the sales guy is -weight -- not street legal in the US..
I ask, yet the 07 EXCs will be, are they going to do the same with the SXC and then being to import them again -- He did not have an answer..

Any body, have an answer for the 07's?
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #22
frankietheyankee
NJ Geezer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Don't beat yourself up mang, you ain't as bad off as you thunk:

the word 'augmented' comes to mind...

Yeah, now that you mention it, his head does seem unnaturally big.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
Moto_Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I dont know about you guys but my 03 KTM 625 SXC came with the Mikini 38 CV carb. And I may be wrong but i think all the dirt oriented SXC's that came to the USA also came with the Mikini 38 not the Kiehin FCR. Now if you are looking at the 625 Supermoto then thats a diffrent story, that one does have the FCR carb.
Moto_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #24
BC in Mid TN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Mike
I dont know about you guys but my 03 KTM 625 SXC came with the Mikini 38 CV carb. And I may be wrong but i think all the dirt oriented SXC's that came to the USA also came with the Mikini 38 not the Kiehin FCR. Now if you are looking at the 625 Supermoto then thats a diffrent story, that one does have the FCR carb.
03 had the CV 04 had the FCR in the US
BC in Mid TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #25
mcc*
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
An opinion from Southern British Columbia.
Have a 2004 625 SXC that has been converted to a Dual Sport. A little buffety and buzzy on the road......but a trail and dirt road slayer in the bush. Absolutely no problems what so ever....unless you count eating up the rear tires with all the torque. Great ride.......buy it.

P.S. Anyone coming this way......give us an email and if available we will show you some country and Canadian hospitality
mcc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #26
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
SXC feedback

The link below is just a quick comparison but if you hunt around here long enough you should be able to find quite a bit of info on the sxc. My riding buddy has an '05 and doesn't have any trouble taking it into tight single tracks or over good sized logs.
I read every article I could find before purchasing my 640 Adventure and having owned KTMs previously, knew what I was in for. I wasn't disappointed.
IMO, rider ability plays more of a role with 'what you can do with a bike' and 'where you can take it' more so than particular characteristics of the bike itself. Its only the amount effort required and the comfort factors that vary significantly.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133766
Old 06-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #27
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC in Mid TN
03 had the CV 04 had the FCR in the US
This is an interesting thread. I test rode a 2003 625 SXC today. Man, that thing just *ripped*. I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground pulling away in 1st and could get the front end nice and light gassing it hard in 3rd. Oddly it wasn't too tall for me. I was expecting a major problem as I'm literally tiptoes both sides on a new 640A - 29" inseam. Either the suspension is a little softer or the SXC packed down in 3 years.

I was interested in getting a LC4 as I rode a 640e in Costa Rica for a week. 1st bike, 2005, 0km, vibrated my ass to sleep at 65mph -- then clutch went out at 80km. Replacement 2004 with gel seat and 20k was smooth as silk. Could pull 200 miles of pavement on the second one with zero problems plus it was so much better on trails than my KLR. I'm curious as I'm thinking about selling the KLR650 and getting two bikes to replace it. Maybe a DL650 for longer distance touring (80/20 paved/gravel) and another which is much more dirt and adventure focused but can do decent amounts of pavement.

I know from the above personal experience that the LC4e would fit the bill for the later but riding the SXC today didn't feel anything like the enduro.
More power, more footpeg vibes. Plus not sure how the lack of cush and no frame oil will impact ability to do longer trips with lots of pavement. Also I'd need a more comfy seat (not sure if that implies taller) and soft bag racks (unsure if the frame is the same as the enduro, I doubt it).

What kinds of adventure trips have people taken on their SXC? Thread 133766 is interesting but there all crazy down under anyhow.

I can't afford a 640A. Plus I'll save the money for the new FI 690A.

Tony
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #28
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Unless you are a feeble old man or a girl the SXC does just fine in the woods... The name of the trail leading to this jump is called HELLS CANYON... and for good reason I get the strangest looks from guys on 200-250cc 2 stroke guys when I am way out on some crazy singletrack.

2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #29
The Cheat
Tard

Oddometer: 300
My KTM SXC!!!!

Thought this thread could use a few pics!!!!!!!

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #30
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
Thought this thread could use a few pics!!!!!!!

OMG, my eyes.

Thats. Just. Wrong.

Why?

Pizza Delivery?

Baby Stroller?

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote