User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #61
Papa Smurf 0369
Papa Smurf 0369 USMC

Oddometer: 35
Keihin 41 FCR carb swap

My 625 SXC had the Mikuni BST 40 carb on it. Bike ran fine. Since I am in the bike parting out business, I got a FCR 41mm carb from a 2005 525SMC and replaced the Mikuni. I know the Euro spec bikes have this carb. I did nothing but adjust the throttle on it. What a huge difference. First off the bike starts up really easy now, be for it was a pain. The bike response so much better too. Getting the airbox on the carb was not easy but I got it on and it ain't comming loose. I would recommend the Keihin FCR over the Mikuni. A little pricy, but a much better deal. I got my 625SXC rather cheap. The starter clutch (free-wheel foward) was chewed up. and the bike was hard on batteries. I hear starting on this modal was an issue. Now with this carb, it starts as easy as my Honda 230L did and I almost never have to choke. The FCR carb also has no throttle sensor like the Mikuni, the only thing I sensed with the BST carb was that it didn't work well, I have come to the conclusion the Mikuni BST carb is garbage. I never even checked the jets, no clue what they even are (probably the 525SMR jetting). I live more or less at sea level. Just rode up in the Sequoias up to around 8,000 feet no issues at all.
www.madmikesmotorcycles.com
Papa Smurf 0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #62
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
does anyone still use this thread for 625s?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #63
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,396
what do you need?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #64
MommysLittleMonster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
what do you want to talk about
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #65
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
does anyone still use this thread for 625s?
remember there are very few differences between the LC4 models, mostly cosmetic. most of the engine/frame/suspension is all the same.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #66
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Hey guys, this is some great stuff, I've read through this thread a few times, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do here.

I'm in the market for my first bike(not my first time riding), and it's going to be for ADV for sure. I have come across two bikes on craigslist, a 2000 KTM 625 LC4 for $3000, and a '97 KTM 620 RXC for $2800. I don't know anything about these bikes, but I've been told maintenance on them is going to be expensive, and parts are difficult to find.

Is that a myth? I've been thinking more around the lines of a ol' DR650 because maintenance would be simple and there are parts everywhere.

You guys sound like you would never sell your KTM's... This has me thinking and listening to what you pro's have to say...
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #67
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,370
If condition is similar go for the 2000 625.

Not sure on parts prices & availability where you are, here there's not much in it between a DR650 & an LC4. Have a look at a few common parts at some online retailers to get an idea.

Maintenance wise the differences aren't large either, a service on the LC4 might take another 20 minutes over the DR due to the slightly fiddly valve check & the extra oil filter. Oil changes are more frequent due to the smaller oil capacity of the 625. You will have to service the water pump every 20K miles or so.

On an LC4 of that era it is a good idea to replace the LH mainshaft bearing with an upgraded one, on a DR650 of the same age you'll probably need to upgrade the cylinder base gasket... again, line ball.

DR650's are great value, & a much smoother engine for touring, but if you plan on doing more offroad, maybe some little jumps now & then the LC4 is great.

Cheers
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Hey guys, this is some great stuff, I've read through this thread a few times, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do here.

I'm in the market for my first bike(not my first time riding), and it's going to be for ADV for sure. I have come across two bikes on craigslist, a 2000 KTM 625 LC4 for $3000, and a '97 KTM 620 RXC for $2800. I don't know anything about these bikes, but I've been told maintenance on them is going to be expensive, and parts are difficult to find.

Is that a myth? I've been thinking more around the lines of a ol' DR650 because maintenance would be simple and there are parts everywhere.

You guys sound like you would never sell your KTM's... This has me thinking and listening to what you pro's have to say...

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #68
MommysLittleMonster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post

i would say it all depends on what your going to do with it? if this is going to be a off road only bike then it kicks ass. there is no hill you cant get up in 2ed or 3ed gear, it will putt along and pull like a tractor. one down side is its quite the "paint shaker" , its fun on the street but remember that the tank is alittle over a gallon so the rages kind of sucks. but its a awesome bike and you wont be let down if you get one. i must say i do love mine alot
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #69
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Thumb

Awesome! I have been going back and forth between a DR650 and the KTM LC4 series for a while, they both sound to be a reliable and fun bike, so I am working with the guy who has the 625 for sale to check it out and test ride it.

I really need to test ride both bikes before I decide. One thing is for sure, I can't wait to hit the road/dirt!!!

Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
If condition is similar go for the 2000 625.

Not sure on parts prices & availability where you are, here there's not much in it between a DR650 & an LC4. Have a look at a few common parts at some online retailers to get an idea.

Maintenance wise the differences aren't large either, a service on the LC4 might take another 20 minutes over the DR due to the slightly fiddly valve check & the extra oil filter. Oil changes are more frequent due to the smaller oil capacity of the 625. You will have to service the water pump every 20K miles or so.

On an LC4 of that era it is a good idea to replace the LH mainshaft bearing with an upgraded one, on a DR650 of the same age you'll probably need to upgrade the cylinder base gasket... again, line ball.

DR650's are great value, & a much smoother engine for touring, but if you plan on doing more offroad, maybe some little jumps now & then the LC4 is great.

Cheers
Clint
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #70
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Just didnt know if folks were still using this thread. I just got my bike a month ago. I love my 625 sxc. i got rid of a heavily modded drz 400 for it. I can hit the trails just as hard and i shift into 5th around 55-60 on the street. I went down the interstate last Sat for about 15 miles and it was great. drove around 75-85 didnt notice vibes. the bike was solid as a rock and no wobbles with MT21 tires on it to the exit and then hit the trails and got both wheels off the ground numerous times. the manual says oil changes about 1500 miles but i ride hard so i do not mind doing them every 500.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #71
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

i put a very small oil cooler on and a CRT behind the radiator. Done some odds and ends to get it the way i like it...and hit the trails...P.S. i got the 18L big tank on it and i got 170 miles before hitting the reserve. I do not even noticde the wieght. ofcourse i never tried the smaller tank. i have both because they came with the bike- but i have no reason to go back to stock...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #72
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 682
Oil Cooler

What brand oil cooler did you put on. I would be interested in the details and photos.

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #73
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
What brand oil cooler did you put on. I would be interested in the details and photos.

Cheers

David
me too!

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #74
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
Just didnt know if folks were still using this thread. I just got my bike a month ago. I love my 625 sxc. i got rid of a heavily modded drz 400 for it. I can hit the trails just as hard and i shift into 5th around 55-60 on the street. I went down the interstate last Sat for about 15 miles and it was great. drove around 75-85 didnt notice vibes. the bike was solid as a rock and no wobbles with MT21 tires on it to the exit and then hit the trails and got both wheels off the ground numerous times. the manual says oil changes about 1500 miles but i ride hard so i do not mind doing them every 500.
Cant go wrong, awesome bikes. Mine is a 00' 640-E,it kicks ass! 200+ miles before reserve and a blast to ride.I traded a DRZ400 for this one, good trade!

pcvance screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 06:30 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #75
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

here is the one i got:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/742-014