Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #136
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
Please put me in touch with this guy - information is so hard to come by.

Cheers

John
I would also like to contact this person. John, has there been any progress that you know of by the guy in Sweden on the dual throttle body setup?

Robert
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #137
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Sorry guys for my long time offline. Have been totaly busy with work...

For your interest I have fixed the "lost sectors" of the hard drive and have now some more pictures of my home made inlet system.

I'll get on with the uploading shortly, but here's some pause entertainment.

Video shot from a Triumph Daytona 600, in front me on the Highland and leading the pack is a Fireblade. As you might see the roadracers can't scare of the Swede.
Camera begins to vibrate @ 200km/h..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cciwdy9vfyE

Regards //
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #138
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Here's the twin tb:s

some pics of the mounted system. Notice, this is the same system I'm using
in the videoclips.

More! Some work had to be done by hand, such as making the surfaces flat..

A bit more, and finally som pics of a custom made throttle wire housing

Max! How has the troubleshooting been going??
Havn't heard from you lately...

Btw; The tuning of my engine is started. Monstrous head modification

Calculatinge som 130Bhp on the rear wheel. Will probably KICK som ASS!

John, still up for a twin system?

Regards
//

Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #139
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Red Kadett
Hi GreaseSnake! It's so nice to hear from you. What you've done with your bike it's awesome. Respect!!!

Well, unfortunately I ended up with nothing... mechanics checked valve timing with that special tool mentioned in Highland manual (they ordered it at a plant, and the tool was made from a scratch which Highland provided for me). So timing is ok, everything on a right place. I don't know what to do next...
Sorry to hear that it's still not running right.

Did you check the TPS ? Throttle pos. sensor? Located at the throttlebody.

So that the values are right. These things sometimes fail, not just on Highlands and can give very "strange" engine behaviour.

Keep in touch!

//
Old 11-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #140
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Does it have the mufflers with the catalytic converters? Mine ran terrible until I changed out the mufflers. It still doesn't run right, but it's rideable.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #141
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake

John, still up for a twin system?

Regards
//

Oh yes Johan -you are the man

From the vid clip your bike sure did pull away, seems to get the power down well for what is quite a high bike. I noticed you also used a foot out in some of the high speed turns - the Flat Track forum would love you.

If you get these mods to work right you could stage a Highland renaissance all by youself, all power to you

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #142
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Oh yes Johan -you are the man

From the vid clip your bike sure did pull away, seems to get the power down well for what is quite a high bike. I noticed you also used a foot out in some of the high speed turns - the Flat Track forum would love you.

If you get these mods to work right you could stage a Highland renaissance all by youself, all power to you
Oh, they work quite right I'd say. For my next mod on my bike ( the "alot of hp"-mod) I'm going to run a Motty AFR ( http://www.afrtuner.com ), to fine tune the fueling correctly. This is a little more expensive than a PowerCommander, but have more benefits. I'm also mounting 2 injectors/cyl to get all the fuel to all that hp.

Ver 3 of twin inlet system is going through final testings, this system DOES NOT demand any fueltank modification, neither do you have to move the fuel injectors.

The only "down-side" is that it's not all that simple to get hold of short and "tight" throttle bodies.. (Of course you can always buy new ones, but the cost is... quite a lot.)

Will during my time off work this winter, spend a lot of time in the garage with some Highland bikes. My intention is to make a system that is "easier" to fit. Then there is the tuning of the ECU, I have to figure something out. Everything is possible, just need to "fine tune" my CAN-BUS experience

Regards

//
Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #143
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
... spend a lot of time in the garage with some Highland bikes. My intention is to make a system that is "easier" to fit. ... //
So you are going to develop a system that you will sell? If so, I want one, not a high horsepower one, just one that will allow my bike to run normally.

I don't understand how Highland could sell the bike like it is. On my Motard the tire won't even clear the chain or the chainguard.

Robert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #144
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
For my next mod on my bike ( the "alot of hp"-mod) I'm going to run a Motty AFR ( http://www.afrtuner.com ), to fine tune the fueling correctly. This is a little more expensive than a PowerCommander, but have more benefits. I'm also mounting 2 injectors/cyl to get all the fuel to all that hp.

//
Great stuff Johan but it seems the Motty does not deal with ignition mapping or have I missed it. Would be a good time to run an integrated system with an anti knock sensor then you've got the lot.

BTW it would be really good to get over and see you over the next few months if that could be done.

Good luck mate

Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #145
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx
So you are going to develop a system that you will sell? If so, I want one, not a high horsepower one, just one that will allow my bike to run normally.

I don't understand how Highland could sell the bike like it is. On my Motard the tire won't even clear the chain or the chainguard.

Robert
Hi Robert

I don't think the V twin will ever run really sweetly unless the mods are accompanied by a heavier flywheel. Could be another mod to complete the bike though.

The motard that I have ridden also had the rear tyre touching the chain but it was only just. Highland pushed bikes out the door, they needed the money. Still think they have real potential though.

cheers

John

Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #146
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Hi Robert

I don't think the V twin will ever run really sweetly unless the mods are accompanied by a heavier flywheel. Could be another mod to complete the bike though.

The motard that I have ridden also had the rear tyre touching the chain but it was only just. Highland pushed bikes out the door, they needed the money. Still think they have real potential though.

cheers

John
Smoothness could also be reached by balancing the crank. In the same time, You can't have a lightweight engine with quick response, and at the same time have "Jaguar V12 smoothness"... It doesen't go both ways.
But getting both cylinders to produce the same amount of rotating energy is of course a good start.

I'm not planning of starting a "mass production" of the twin inlet system, however my intention is to make these systems available for those who are interested. There are two ways to this, as I see it. First way, I need the bike. Second way, you are a somewhat skilled mechanic. However, as I have "day job", time is always a factor.

About changing the ignition timing, I can't see the need for this. The timing is really all right for this type of engine, the issue is with the fueling. Stock, you can actually read the issue between the cylinders in the fuel mapping. The mapping between front and rear cyl is quite different in fuel amount.
(Logged injectors opening time, was quite interesting.)
This of course, is due to the inlet system wich doesn't provide front and rear cylinder with the same amount of air. Less air, less fuel => weak "bang". If two cylinders don't operate equal on a common crank, you'll get more vibrations as the cylinders intend to disturb each other.

About the Motard rear wheel; I moved the front chain sprocket "out" from the enging. This makes the chain line "more right" and stop eating tire (if you run a prefered 160mm wide tyre). I'll try to get a picture of this.
For the chain guard, simply cut out piece by piece of the plastic guard, until the tyre can move freely.

Hope this gave you all some info. I'll try to answer as often as I can to your questions! Happy to help fellow Highland riders!

Edit: Knock sensors on these engines are almost no idea, this due to the thin walls, roller bearings and timing chains making a lot of noise.
You would have to use ion measurement after each burn to calculate knock (like SAAB:s DirectIgnition), but the pricing of that would be like buying a new bike every year..
With the center mounted sparkplug in the very well shaped combustion chambers, knock isn't an issue if you provide proper A/F. And the Wideband- O2 senor connected to the
Motty will du just that for you.

Regards!
//

GreaseSnake screwed with this post 11-06-2008 at 04:12 AM
Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #147
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

GreaseSnake,

I really appreciate what you are doing. My complaint with the Highland is not engine vibration, but not running cleanly and excessive fuel consumption (the exhaust outlets are black and sooty). Since I'm in the US I will have to do the work myself, which I'm confident I can do if you can supply the parts.

I notched the chainguard and shaved the tire as much as I dared to minimize the chain interference. Aren't the sprockets aligned (it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't) so that moving one sprocket out would cause them to be misaligned?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #148
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx
GreaseSnake,

I really appreciate what you are doing. My complaint with the Highland is not engine vibration, but not running cleanly and excessive fuel consumption (the exhaust outlets are black and sooty). Since I'm in the US I will have to do the work myself, which I'm confident I can do if you can supply the parts.

I notched the chainguard and shaved the tire as much as I dared to minimize the chain interference. Aren't the sprockets aligned (it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't) so that moving one sprocket out would cause them to be misaligned?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert!

Making the hardware isn't all that much work, I just have to solve the fueling issue. Need a functional CAN-tool for this. Working on it.
As before you mount a Powercommander or a Motty, you'll have to fix stock
firmware before, making front and rear fuelmapping equal. Otherwise it'll still run uneven..

Due to chain issue, well it seemes that everything works just fine after moving the front sprocket a bit out. Can't see that it isn't aligned, no extended wear, looking at my own. They're probably not aligned from the biginning.. I don't have to shave my rear tire at all.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #149
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Making the hardware isn't all that much work, I just have to solve the fueling issue. Need a functional CAN-tool for this. Working on it.
As before you mount a Powercommander or a Motty, you'll have to fix stock
firmware before, making front and rear fuelmapping equal. Otherwise it'll still run uneven..
Johan

As previously posted I have the correct CAN tool so we might still be able to get it together

Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #150
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Johan

As previously posted I have the correct CAN tool so we might still be able to get it together
Missed that little detail. Makes it a whole lot easier

You got mail.