John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #182
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Teaser

Yo, nice1trev>>>
Keep in touch!

For you others, and a little extra welcome to Loretto!

Well, as I have written before I'm head(haha)ing for maximum power. Just to see what I'll get....

(clickable pics)

Inlet

chamber

Handtuned by my friend Benny Boost.
going to push the compression ratio a bit further too..
Can't wait to get them back home.

Then I can continue with my tuning and the production of John's twin inlet

The greasy one

GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #183
nice1trev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Yo doctor John
Thanks for posting pic's for me ! , buggered if i could work out how to get them up. They were taken just after reassembly hence bits missing off it , probley still sittin' on the road.
God it goes though ... nothing like a 6 speed fuel injected dirtbike that sounds like a Ducati

A big Hey Ya'all to Lorretto !!
that must make about 6 of us highlanders in the world now
the TANK on the ktm man !! - focus focus when coming home from the pub on that one
Hope youll have fun when you open the highland up abit, very raw Euro feeling bike nice and lite, and racey . I love mine, it's fantastic around the roads of scotland. All the best mate tell us how you get on with it.

Greasesnake you got some serious issues that you need to work out with yourself !!!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #184
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 313
Hey Greasy One and Nice1trev:

Grant is that a James Renazco saddle on your Motard? Very nice.

You are so right on the handling, the Highland is so easy to push around when riding, I have to remind myself when on the KTM as it is not nearly as forgiving.

The exhaust growl on the Highland is very sweet not that the KTM is yappy lap dog but the Highland scores very well.

I really enjoy all the photos posted here and will get some more of the Allroad once it warms up enough to get out and change the oil.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #185
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev

Greasesnake you got some serious issues that you need to work out with yourself !!!
Yep, I'm not the avarage bloke...

Anyways Grant, your ECU is simple to retune so just get it over here, or I can send the map to John and he can download it to the ECU for you. Probable the "safest" way, never trusted the Post "service"...

It is possible that my project will strike all time high for the Highland on the Dyno. But that's just my hopes and dreams, it can certainly blow up into million pieces pushing the envelope.. But who cares? Gotta loose some to wine some And to humiliate Kronrief Trunkenpoltz Mattighofen is just sooo tempting...
Old 02-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #186
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
dear highland owners

I have been reading this thread since it started. As I understand, its a great bike with a very annoying fueling problem. And here comes my question, why dont you just throw away the FI and put a couple of carbs in it? Simplicity might be the solution to your problems.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:11 AM   #187
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
I have been reading this thread since it started. As I understand, its a great bike with a very annoying fueling problem. And here comes my question, why dont you just throw away the FI and put a couple of carbs in it? Simplicity might be the solution to your problems.
Simple answers Mousitsa

There is very lttle space under the tank for inlet manifolds and their carbs with float chambers.

Setting a carb up requires access to jets, needles and accompanying parts all of which can be done with f/i changing the software map using the computer.

The big problem so I understand is the plenum chamber that splits the mixture between the cylinders, the uneven pulses from the 60 degree v twin cause a whole raft of problems.

The ideal solution (already developed by Highland) would be a downdraft dual independent runner f/i system and a redesigned fuel tank to accommodate it. That would loose fuel capacity. So We really need a frame redesign too to make space for more fuel. All these things are in the pipeline somewhere, we are just trying to make the best with things as they are.

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul

John in Leeds screwed with this post 02-07-2009 at 10:37 AM
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #188
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake
Anyways Grant, your ECU is simple to retune so just get it over here, or I can send the map to John and he can download it to the ECU for you. Probable the "safest" way, never trusted the Post "service"...

No problem guys. Seems like you're going to have a trip to Yorkshire eh Grant? Would be good to give the Highlands a run out together - some great roads round here.

Just a thought - I may be up in Edinburgh soon, if you can afford a couple of beers and a space for my sleeping bag I could pop up to your place.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #189
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
No problem guys.
Perfect m8 Now it's just up to Grant then.

Stainless steel inlet tubing, the latest in technoligy
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #190
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake
Stainless steel inlet tubing, the latest in technoligy
that and polished alloy throttle bodies - we'll have to leave the side panels off

Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #191
nice1trev
Adventurer

Cocktails and Carby's

Hello all !!
If i cut buck on the fuel bill for all these bloody bikes Dr John i rekon i could shout the first round ........Oh, Did i tell ya i've a brand new KTM 250 sx !!! NO? ....well i got a brand new ktm 250 sx
Anyways Edinburgh sounds really good, I love it down there and know a wee pub thet sells heather beer its called FAROCH, very very nice, amber/almost orange colour- been brewing it for 4000 years apparently ( you might remember it !! Hee Hee
give us the dates when you know it would be great to catch up !

Thinking Mr mousitsas is onto something we've all forgoten about ! (well except greasy proberly) You would remember Dr. John the first highlands ran a carb !... carn't belive i forgot - all the heather beer i spose. I got a folder with my bike and in it was the manual, it featured one with a carb. There were also broachers saying; the NEWS for 2003 was fuel injection.
There ya go ! Problem with the snatchy low end solved..run a carb !
Didn't the ktm 950's get slagged when they first went injection too ?? again i carn't remember - all the heather beer , think they did but.
Very very interesting - give me your thoughts.
(if the factory has two setups somewhere i might get 1 aswell)

Thank you very much greasy and john for the ecu map offer !
count me in very kind. ooowh.... you guys !!

Is it cold up there Greasy ?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #192
nice1trev
Adventurer

Just cocktails

Quote:
Older models (carburetted) used the same "plenum" but had a carburator mounted instead of the tb. Because of the single inlet, a/f had to make a 180 U-turn wich made on cylinder run rich and one run rich...
Nuff anecdotes.. Back to EFI!
Erm sorry guys i was reading the old posts and found this one from greasesnake, seems the carbs not good either. What a shame.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #193
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Erm sorry guys i was reading the old posts and found this one from greasesnake, seems the carbs not good either. What a shame.
That's right, the problem isn't the fuel from the injection, or the carb. The problem is air, air and air. On such a big v-twin you'd need approx 5 litres
of airbox/plenum volume. Today there might be 0,3 litres.

The factory made som testing with twin carbs, this also run like a dream.
However carbs need more room to fit wich means even more to rebuild..
But it's really just a matter of time and how much fuel tank you are willing to offer..

It's quite OK over here at the moment, snow on the ground and just below freezing. Doesn't stress me that much that I have a lot of tuning projects ahead
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #194
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
........Oh, Did i tell ya i've a brand new KTM 250 sx !!! NO? ....well i got a brand new ktm 250 sx
Yeh, you loon, and you sent pictures, the bike, you and your lovely lady. That bike is far too light for you and needs at least 50kgs of iron strappin' to it to settle you down.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #195
nice1trev
Adventurer

no more pies for me

Hey up Dr. J thanks for putting those up !
New bikes = smiles all round, nice to see the girl in here aswell she'll be very excited ....hey hang about.... that can be my valentines gift for her !!! nice 1 mate more petrol for me !

Just been thinking about the problems with the plenam chamber size and the pulses from the cylinders affecting each other .
Could an easy way be add more volume to the inlet via a "boost bottle" type arrangment ?
I had a few old yz125's and 250's and they ran these the 490's did aswell, basically a hose from the inlet between the reeds and carb up to a plastic chamber. Must have acted like an accumulator in a hydraulic system (dampening the pulses out)
a trip back to the 'good' ol days http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/yz250/81/pics.asp

Im an industrial diesel mechanic and have no idea really about petrol EFI just a thought.