Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #196
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev
Just been thinking about the problems with the plenam chamber size and the pulses from the cylinders affecting each other .
Could an easy way be add more volume to the inlet via a "boost bottle" type arrangment ?
I had a few old yz125's and 250's and they ran these the 490's did aswell, basically a hose from the inlet between the reeds and carb up to a plastic chamber. Must have acted like an accumulator in a hydraulic system (dampening the pulses out)
a trip back to the 'good' ol days http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/yz250/81/pics.asp

Im an industrial diesel mechanic and have no idea really about petrol EFI just a thought.
The problem is that the engine eats half a litre of air every time the inlet valves open. This makes a drop of airmass, wich affects next cylinder when that one opens... you'd need approx 4,5litres of boost bottles, with pretty
sturdy hoses connected. and then you still have a sucky inlet with too many tight bends. These two strokes are single engines, wich means it won't interfere with the other half of the engine..
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #197
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Hey up Dr. J thanks for putting those up !
New bikes = smiles all round, nice to see the girl in here aswell she'll be very excited ....hey hang about.... that can be my valentines gift for her !!! nice 1 mate more petrol for me !
I must talk to your lady and tell her to be more demanding - she's worth more than that

Quote:
Just been thinking about the problems with the plenam chamber size and the pulses from the cylinders affecting each other .
Could an easy way be add more volume to the inlet via a "boost bottle" type arrangment ?
I had a few old yz125's and 250's and they ran these the 490's did aswell, basically a hose from the inlet between the reeds and carb up to a plastic chamber. Must have acted like an accumulator in a hydraulic system (dampening the pulses out).
The basic trouble here is that the inlet system also relies on pulses that follow the inlet charge to keep the cylinder filling after BDC. The tuning of these pulses adds to the charging of the cylinders, any unpredictable behaviour will cause the poor running characteristics shown in the current set up. Any damping of the manifold characteristics is likely to both loose performance and responsiveness. I think looking at the tiny plenum and considering the 60 degree vtwin pulse variation there is bugger all to be done but dump the damn thing (they should have done that in the first place).

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul

John in Leeds screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 01:27 PM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #198
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn! posted at the same time as GreaseSnake - he's the man.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #199
nice1trev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Sorry with all the questions guys but what about the old harley
think they just run 1 carb not sure if they run 2 x throttle bodies now with the injection ?
I supose they were only low spec 2 valves engines though.

quote from john
I must talk to your lady and tell her to be more demanding - she's worth more than that

Dont you dare
Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #200
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
think they just run 1 carb not sure if they run 2 x throttle bodies now with the injection ?
I supose they were only low spec 2 valves engines though.

quote from john

Dont you dare
Hi Grant, old harleys just don't make ANY power without serious modification, just take a look through this Harley stuff http://www.daytona-twintec.com/tech_tcfi.html it gives some comparisons down the page and info on the more modern systems.

ok

Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #201
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Yep, and the deliver nothing what so ever

The classic american way; Huge engine(what now, about double the highland engine? 1800cc or so..), thirsty and no friggin power

Naaah, they'r like a lawnmower. Ok to do the dirtywork at home but you just wont thake it out on the streets
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #202
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Have to be a little careful with Harley bashing, this outfit make some really good numbers. I would certainly like to learn something from their techniques. Think I have mentioned them to you before Johan

Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #203
nice1trev
Adventurer

Lots of tech info on that daytona site, seems harley have the same problem.
There's a few rapid one's back in oz though, big scene back there.

Thanks you Lorretto for the battery info, ill be getting one like you have as the oddysey is a tad too tall to fit just right.
The Braille B14115 has more kick aswell.
The seat on my highland is a james renazco, sent it to california to get done - nice job, alot wider at the rear to keep the girl happy.
Very important.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #204
nice1trev
Adventurer

Another question everybody's proberly thought about !
Considering the air box is close to the plenum chamber and is quite big, could that be used for extra volume. connected to the plenum with say an 1" hose ?`
Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #205
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Another question everybody's proberly thought about !
Considering the air box is close to the plenum chamber and is quite big, could that be used for extra volume. connected to the plenum with say an 1" hose ?`
You need a large increase of volume at a very short distance, hoses are not optimal. Not sure how you mean, but if you mean connecting the stock airbox to the stock plenum via a 1" hose the engine would either never start or blow up... It would be like removing the throttle butterfly or the throttlebody and just fire it up. No air regulation, no nothing. It would problably never start...

Got a good look at a Harley engine and wadda you know?
There have been some progress, they now run separate inlets.

Looks a little like my plan for the "high performance" engine
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #206
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 310
Tire Guidance Sought

I was trying to source the Scorp-STs for the Highland and it looks like at least in the US the 150/70-17 rear is no longer available. If anyone is running the 19F and 17R set up, what did you use for replacement tires. Also curious if anyone ran a 110/80-19 on the front without any ill effects. Regrettably the new rubber will see 90% pavement. I appreciate any comments.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #207
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto
I was trying to source the Scorp-STs for the Highland and it looks like at least in the US the 150/70-17 rear is no longer available. If anyone is running the 19F and 17R set up, what did you use for replacement tires. Also curious if anyone ran a 110/80-19 on the front without any ill effects. Regrettably the new rubber will see 90% pavement. I appreciate any comments.
Hi Lorretto, still not replaced my Scorps as I run 2 sets of wheels. 17 19 with Scorps for the road and 18 21 with Barum/Mitus C02 for the back and Bridgestone ED 663 front. Just for interest as I don't like running the CO2 fast on tar I tried running the 17 road wheel (Scorp) with the 21 off road (Bridgestone) on some very wet and slippy tarmac and sloppy off road. Silly I know but the front Bridgestone was really stable giving good grip in all conditions, the Scorp however offering little to no grip on mud and grass.

Reckon your best bet is to look over on Orange Crush where you'll find tyre threads galore in the sizes you are running. Good luck annd let us know how you go on.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #208
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 310
Thanks John. The KTM runs 18R and 21F. I had the Scorp ATs and the TKC-80s both are very good on the KTM. If the option were available on the Highland, I would stick with the Scorps.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #209
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Last year I saw a thread on Orange Crush relating to the the 17 19 wheel combination on the 950 KTM. Some contributors thought that choice was a better all round combination for a d/s bike. Can't remember their tyre recommendations though.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #210
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

With 18-21 Bridgestone TrailWing. Nice bite
(But since I am a tarmac rat...)

I usually run 17-17 using Bridgestone Battlax BT-21 (sports tourer)
Tried their sportier BT-012, but the Highland eat that in approx 1000km...
The BT021 last at least 5000km..
In front I like good bite, so there I use the softer BT-012

Sizes;

For gravelracing; Front 90/90-18 Rear 130/80-18

For roadrace; Front 120/70-17 and rear 160/60-17

160 need a litte "adjustment" to the chain guard, but it's no big deal

And no, I am not sponsored by Bridgestone but after about 30000km/year they havn't failed me once