Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #317
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx

Any suggestions?

Robert

Snakey says check the TPS .65 volts at cloesd throttle between red and yellow wires

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #318
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

To quote Snakey

My FIRST bet is the TPS, no question about it
tell him to measure the values between was it red n yellow? You know, like we did on yours to calibrate it.
engine running, different throttle openings
had the same problem on one bike, faulty TPS.
Second bike, faulty ECU. The DC-DC converter feeding the TPS was knocked..
same result though, crazy tps values, mad fueling, useless running

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #319
nice1trev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The cat is out

Thanks for investigating the mufflers john
mmm seems the cat is quite long, it is perfarated though pitty ya carn't just knock the inside out of it.
I was thinking welding a straight non perferated section in and offsetting the extra noise with db dawg inserts but that cat is pretty long.

If you find a solution before 25th August could you get a couple of sets done, i could post cash from here and change over my new standard ones with you on the way to the boat.
Think of the good karma !!

Do you have exhaust outlet size so i can order inserts ?

That silver highland looks nice

All the best
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #320
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Some pictures of Grant's bike in process at Overland solutions in Kent.

Looks like some pretty serious kit

Fabricated rack and boxes

Screen before the dash is populated

Twin headlights and fairing link to plastics

Loads of toys

Can't wait for a ride report

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #321
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev
Thanks for investigating the mufflers john
mmm seems the cat is quite long, it is perfarated though pitty ya carn't just knock the inside out of it.

All the best
Hi Grant,

Johan says just chop the whole centre out, replace with a single full length perforated pipe, then repack. That's what I'm going to try. Will post some pictures as I go. Interesting thing about these cans, they are all stainless steel and I feel they will take a lot of bashing about. As I fall off fairly regularly that could be an advantage. I'm never going to be a concours guy like you and Robert (NSX) so titanium or carbon cans would be like pearls before swine for me.

Like your developments for your upcoming trip, are you taking your girl on pillion?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #322
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting the cat out

Cut down the inner pipe to expose the cat

How this matrix can pass the amount of hot gas produced at full throttle I just cannot see.

Start drilling round the sides. Take care 'cos it binds

Finally a clear pipe. Outside diameter 50mm 1mm wall thickness

Output pipe is reduced to 40mm o/d 1mm wall thickness

Think if I can find a supply of perforated pipe I'll use more 50mm through the packing to reduce to 40mm for the outlet - no doubt Johan will advise

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #323
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds

How this matrix can pass the amount of hot gas produced at full throttle I just cannot see.

Think if I can find a supply of perforated pipe I'll use more 50mm through the packing to reduce to 40mm for the outlet - no doubt Johan will advise
No good for the flow I tell ya that Kitty...

Go for that, will be perfect, a long 50mm perforated pipe, then cone down to 40 just before outlet

/Snakey
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #324
nice1trev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
pillion

Hey John yes im taking a pillion. The boxes look a little far forward but il let you know when i get it, looks like there is some extra holes in the top brackets so may be able to move them back ok.

Nice work with the mufflers - ya becoming a fabricator !
Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #325
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev
Hey John yes im taking a pillion. The boxes look a little far forward but il let you know when i get it, looks like there is some extra holes in the top brackets so may be able to move them back ok.
I reckon to keep your boxes and weights as far forward as possible, the furhter back the weight is the worse the handling. There is already a lot of weight over the back wheel, that's partly why the front wheel will come up so easily. My experience with a pillion (only on 2 occasions) made me think this and also to put some serious preload on the rear shock so the rear sag does not make the problem worse

I also reckon you both need to get sat aboard with your luggage and see that the boxes are not too high to interfere with the underlegs of your pillion. I'm sure that Ernie will have taken that into account but ask him anyway. These things are always a compromise so give it a good check before you go.

John in Leeds screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 01:49 PM
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #326
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

The cat is dead

A bit of video now the cats have been removed. Using the same camera used in Sweden, you may need to turn your sound up

Now for the confession - after the last post and pictures where I stripped out the Silmotor cans and removed the cat, I took it down to our local stainless exhaust expert to get some 50mm perforated stainless steel tube and glass fibre wadding to complete the job. The 'expert' said he would do all my exhausts for a price. It seemed reasonable and Grant had asked for a set so I agreed and left the parted can and one other for him to complete.

Two days later I get a call saying he cannot part the can out, he's spent hours and he cannot do it. Bummer. So I go down there this afternoon to pick the cans up. He has put the can that I stripped out together so that is finished but that was the easy bit. He says he will put them together for the original price if I strip them - sure he will

I get some pipe and wadding from him and head home with the completed can and the abused one.

I properly drill through the rivets on the end of the can, the end piece now comes off easily and the centre can be driven through and out, it is totally butchered. Then just drill out the cat as shown before - they have attempted to drive it out with a drift and failed, a strong drill, and air saw and the cat is out. The entry pipe is battered but it will do.

The wire wool is wrapped round the perforated tube, then the fibreglass wadding

The engine end is then inserted and aligned

Then the outlet is offered up

Sadly I'm not a practiced mechanic but like other men I do bleed

Pop rivet on the can ends with the finishing strips

Making sure the holes line up

Thats it done

Somewhat battered, it's a good job I've used the old cans . I'll do the new ones and all the rest myself. Now I've got it sussed no need for brutal treatment and no more damage (I hope)

Fitting parts to these Highlands is pretty easy, simple fasteners and good accessibility - not like some on ADVrider

Just some of the butchery the 'experts' perpetrated. Never mind, it won't stop it running These bikes were designed for rough treatment I reckon, just need a bit of getting used to

Hopefully we can build up a body of expertise that will put them in the reliable for regular use category

John in Leeds screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 02:14 AM
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #327
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Now, that is racing
Old 08-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #328
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

slow but safe progress

Adapterplate between the inlets and tb:s roughly cutted to fit the tb:s
Fine"polishing" is a later issue. Lining it up and well, it doesn't seeme all that wrong..

The plate's where then threaded so the tb:s will stay on firmly. After this
I got on with the "tank massacre". The pieces below is all i needed to remove. Not that bad and a heck of a lot less than I had guessed.

I guess I'll loose some 2-3 litres with this. However, as there is loads of space "unused" , I'll take my time and use this places left over from stock inlet an fill these gaps with tank volume. A guess is that the tank will hold even more in the end than it did from the beginning. More fuel, less stops

Anyhow, these are the results after my attack with knife and angle grinder.

As you might see if you look with the sharpend eye, there is now room for bends or filtres or whatever I'll put there on top.

A view from the top, there is room in side too.

This is my plan for the frame piece, the old stock one is layin on the floor. Straight and in my way for progress. (Actually this is John's ol' frame piece as his bike is now fitted with my old modified one)

And a pic from the side too...

I'll continue my work on the MonsterMotard as soon as I possibly can, but unfortunately I'm back to work and holiday is over

Enjoy!

GreaseSnake screwed with this post 08-09-2009 at 04:27 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #329
Thumber
Sweden

Oddometer: 31
New to the club

Hi gang.

I am a noob HL owner, a very happy one so far. I bougt my rig last week and i thougt you would like to hear the first ride-report ever in my HL-career. If not. You are your selves to blame if you read it....

This is the story of a nutter that traveled 1450 km in one day to, maybe, by a bike.

This was what my Friday 4 sept was like.
Alarm set at 05:50 but of course I am already awake… Breakfast consists of cereals only. Hm I think I am a little nervous about the turn out of the day. It was a long time since an adventure with uncertain outcome was undertaken. Pelts hither and dither in the house to pick up the last necessities. Make two “got-lost-sandwiches” and I am ready, or am I?

My friend Peter picks me up at 07:00 and takes me to Arlanda Airport. In the ”Taliban-filter” I am thoroughly searched to find out if I am having any grenades between my legs and when I comment on that by saying “Are you always this engaged in your work or am I just too gorgeous?” She says, without thinking, “I am not that kind of girl. I have other preferences”. When she heard how it came out she flushed all the way down her neck…Ha ha.

Landing in Umeå and jumps on to a bus to Lövånger. That is 730km from home. Sweden is big. Meets the seller who claims he has not got the time to ride the bike and I can see why. He is a farmer with some 50 cows and 50 more cattle and he is all alone. The bike is tested and I decide to buy it. It is now two a clock in the afternoon and I start on the second part of the adventure. I have 730km of road travel ahead and I decide to do the only sensible, fill up. Upon leaving the gas station the bike does not start. S__t. As I haul out the cell phone my eye catches the killer button and I decide to switch it rather than to give the seller an angry call…..

Since I bought the bike without the last MOT done that was a priority. I took it to the nearest MOT-station (89km to the south) and I got there at 15:08. First available time is 15:10. Lucky me! The next guy that comes in has to go home again. They were all booked until closing time. Only remark was a missing taillight so no problems there. Fill up again and of I go!

Although weather reports said rain there was just clouds in the sky. A small “wash” just when I left Umeå but I saw lighter skies to the south. Kept going and of course I hit a massive thunderstorm with heavy rain. As usual when you are cold or wet, you have been either lazy or else you are stupid. In my case a little of both. I stop under a bridge and get the rain gear on. After that the rain continued and so did I until the sun went down. At “Höga-Kusten-bridge” the signs read 14m/s headwind and heavy rain. Not the nicest of driving conditions. In Härnösand, some 350km later the rain stopped, gas was out and so was I. I grabbed a hot dog and some coffee and a biscuit. Full, warm and gased up I get going again. Darkness falls at 20:00 and the rain is back. I stop for a snack.

At 21:00 the rain stops again and I have a serious case of home sickness. No cars are out and the moon is lightening my way back to home. The last 250km stretch is done without a stop. Just to keep your head on your shoulders is a struggle after 7 hours in the saddle at 140km/h. When I have only 3km left the bike stops, just outside the gas station. Stop at home at 23:00 and are fairly beat!
Summary
The whole trip back took 9 hours of wich two was MOT and food-stops. That is just over 100km/h overall speed.
This bike is windy. You realize that after a whole day at cruising speeds of 120-140km/h.
Rain is unpleasant.
No monkey but or any other physical problems, except for keeping the head screwed properly to your shoulders.

Pretty fair for a Friday, hu?

/TF

Thumber screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 05:41 AM
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #330
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber
Hi gang.

I am a noob HL owner, a very happy one so far. I bougt my rig last week and i thougt you would like to hear the first ride-report ever in my HL-career. If not. You are your selves to blame if you read it....

This is the story of a nutter that traveled 1450 km in one day to, maybe, by a bike.

Pretty fair for a Friday, hu?
Really like your style Thumber and Welcome to the Highland community .

Yep Sweden is a big place (must get the map out to see where you are) and I love the times I get to go there. Also there are lots of good guys there so drop one or two a line I'm sure they'll be ready with good support and advice.

Keep your adventures coming (preferably with pictures)

John