User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #31
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Up to first oil change

Well Steve and Tim, some more, not sure about the improved looks, I don’t think this could ever be a beauty but it seems the makers were more concerned with function. Foe BikePilot the only thing to bother with immediately 300 kms is oil change and filter. Rock and Road gave me a filter so it does not have to go back to them for a while as I’ll do it myself, easy 5 minute job.

Raining again. Thought I might get the chance for a dry ride but no chance today. Spent some time grinding the slot on the side stand to give a bit more cam over, don’t want it to fall again for that reason anyway.

Ordered off road tyres for the spare wheels on a recommendation of a mate and a dealer. Barum/Mitus C02 for the back and Bridgestone ED 661 or 663 for the front – see how these work. Mentioned tyre rim clamps but mixed messages so will leave those for now. Dire warnings of taking this bike seriously off road. Risking some humiliation but the very few times I’ve been before managed ok with very inferior machinery. I know I’ll get better with practice.

Another bit of good news the starting has improved to second press of the button, using only the part throttle lever, just a touch till it goes, then onto full warm up. Wonder if it will ever be a first press when cold.

A couple of speed humps (sharp 4inch rubber variety) taken at 40mph felt a little unsettling no big deal but made me think the compression settings may be a little hard. I usually set up my bikes a little softer than most as I like to use the suspension travel but under full control. So forks are easy, wound in all the settings, counted ‘em made a note and then back and eased off an additional couple of clicks. Back end requires the side panels off to access the top of the shock for compression so seat off one 14mm nut and panels 4mm allen key less than 5 mins easy. Note different length of bolt,s shorter into plastic (polyethylene?) tank.

Some interesting stuff revealed here, it appears that there is only one butterfly showing so whether there is another lurking under the tank I can't tell, could it be just one serving the 2 injectors (very unusual) – this may explain the off idle roughness. Definately worth further investigation but I'm not ready to take the tank off just yet.

Panels are fairly simple and the front pair extend about 35mm in front of the radiator forming some sort of scoop, don’t think it does any favours to the looks. Two fans should keep it cool but as yet I haven’t noticed them coming on.

I seem to be having trouble with the pics as they don't show up in preview. Any suggestions
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 03-08-2007 at 12:29 PM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #32
Gallant
Banned

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
Well Steve and Tim, some more, not sure about the improved looks, I donít think this could ever be a beauty but it seems the makers were more concerned with function. Foe BikePilot the only thing to bother with immediately 300 kms is oil change and filter. Rock and Road gave me a filter so it does not have to go back to them for a while as Iíll do it myself, easy 5 minute job.

Raining again. Thought I might get the chance for a dry ride but no chance today. Spent some time grinding the slot on the side stand to give a bit more cam over, donít want it to fall again for that reason anyway.

Ordered off road tyres for the spare wheels on a recommendation of a mate and a dealer. Barum/Mitus C02 for the back and Bridgestone ED 661 or 663 for the front Ė see how these work. Mentioned tyre rim clamps but mixed messages so will leave those for now. Dire warnings of taking this bike seriously off road. Risking some humiliation but the very few times Iíve been before managed ok with very inferior machinery. I know Iíll get better with practice.

Another bit of good news the starting has improved to second press of the button, using only the part throttle lever, just a touch till it goes, then onto full warm up. Wonder if it will ever be a first press when cold.

A couple of speed humps (sharp 4inch rubber variety) taken at 40mph felt a little unsettling no big deal but made me think the compression settings may be a little hard. I usually set up my bikes a little softer than most as I like to use the suspension travel but under full control. So forks are easy, wound in all the settings, counted Ďem made a note and then back and eased off an additional couple of clicks. Back end requires the side panels off to access the top of the shock for compression so seat off one 14mm nut and panels 5mm allen key less than 5 mins easy. Note different length of bolt,s shorter into plastic (polyethylene?) tank.

Some interesting stuff revealed here, it appears that there is only one butterfly serving the 2 injectors Ė this may explain the off idle roughness. Maybe worth further investigation

Panels are fairly simple and the front pair extend about 35mm in front of the radiator forming some sort of scoop, donít think it does any favours to the looks. Two fans should keep it cool but as yet I havenít noticed them coming on.

I seem to be having trouble with the pics as they don't show up in preview. Any suggestions
Nice bike..... more please
Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #33
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Pic of the engine - developed by Folan in guises from 750 to 1200cc. Weighs an incredible 45kilos, claimed by makers (will one day check on dyno) 85bhp @ 6000rpm and 77ftlbs torque @ 4000rpm. It certainly feels strong wanting to pick up the front at low revs and low throttle (I am running in) but claims are claims.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #34
805gregg OP
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
Thanks again John I love the pics of the engine, looks clean.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #35
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil and filter change

Just dropped the oil and filter for the first 300km change. 6 bolts (4mm allan key) for plastic bash plate, 13mm socket for magnetic sump plug. Very easy job just take time filling through the clutch cover. Just under 2.5 litres 10-40 synthetic. Filter from assorted Renaults, not very large.
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 05:54 AM
Old 03-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Air filter

Air filter is oil soaked possible K&N type 2 bolts 2 minutes - not changed but pic for info.

Going a little faster now, the softer settings back and front seem to be working well on back roads, giving high levels of confidence. Also took it into the woods, will take logs and some stones but will not go slow enough for anything technical (not with me anyway), will take the rough but not down to walking pace. Just gobbles it up at the trot. Front sprocket 14 tooth on order to replace the 16 tooth standard. Off road spare wheel has a significantly larger rear sprocket so I hope that plus some set up of the bottom end will help.

Did the first fuel check around 35 mpg (imperial) but not exact. Sorry if this is a little obsessive (but you did ask for more info) I got out the scales and weighed it with 11 litres of fuel in the tank. Front 172.5lbs (78.4 kilos) rear 198lbs (90 kilos) total 370.5lbs (168.4 kilos). ThaT is a very light bike as a 950 and wet! Has my girl been tweeking the scales?

Edit:- scales have just gone in bin, she says they have not worked properly since I used them for the bike. Seems I've got to check again.

Spare throttle and clutch cables have arrived as has the carrier. Cable to be taped in place when the tank comes off. BTW there is only one throttle butterfly so no balancing problems. More on setting up later.
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 10-12-2007 at 01:20 PM
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #37
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Thanks for the updates John, all very interesting - keep 'em coming
Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #38
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

A little more before I go to the US (Las Vegas and surround) for a fortnight. Just coming up to 500 miles, took it to 6000 rpm just under 110mph - no effort and wanting to race away too. Looks like it will cruise at a hundred with a screen no bother. Fuel consumption seems to be improved upper 40s and the suspension is really good over the bumps and twisties. Still need to run the engine at 3000 or above if I want fractional throttle making it a little busier in town than I would like. Will be happy at less revs if on closed throttle or under load. One of the skills I'm learning.

Had some advice from the guy who races one in SM, knock out the cat from the exhaust and use a koni type (I think) air filter to shorten the tract before the throttle butterfly - gives significantly more power. No need at this time there seems to be a sufficiency, good job the brakes are up to scratch. I think if I returned the suspension to a firmer setting the brakes would be better tested but set up more softly you get more dive and sharper anchors would be unsettling.

Picked up the off road wheels and sprocket today but it looks like Easter before we get to test off road. Hopefully will be run in then too.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #39
Cupid Stunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thanks John
Keep it coming when you can, I too had a serious interest in getting one of these but after being advised against it and being unable to find much in the way of UK support for them I thought better of it and chickened out

Supermoto Magazine did a back to back against the KTM 950 SM, their opinion was that teh KTM was far superior in everything except weight (handling, power, build quality etc)
I was a little disapointed as on paper the bike is exactly what I'd been looking for and I'll never buy a KTM (well not as long as everyone else has one )

Do you have any links/details of contacts or support for these ?
Cupid Stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:27 AM   #40
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt

sorry unless you can read Swedish you are getting the most I've found here.

I don't like to make excuses about the Super Moto test and I think even without riding the KTM there may be some areas lacking - however you have to remember that the place supplying the test bike is a very small operation, the complete opposite to KTM. The test bike (still there) has been hammered by all and sundry and was probably not the best comparison. MCN also did a test and broke the Highland (I was told by the dealer) and a brand new one was supplied for replacement. Not a good move. 'Pokenhood' from Nottingham? has a supermoto he has well sorted (for very little money) offered this for a test but they would not take him up on it, saying that as it was modified it was not a fair comparison. Well what do you do, you get a particular bike and make it as you want it. Highland are very low volume and all the work is really done in Sweden. Tests I've read carried out there tend to give a different tale (see the beginning of this thread).

My bike is not a super moto, it is a compromise that I hope will give me most of the requirements I want. So far so good but I suspect the throttle float isssue will not be remedied until the new twin inlet tract is supplied with a modified fuel tank (space for the throttle bodies). Until then I'll report it as I see it. Try a test ride if you are anywhere near Bolton and then you make you own mind up.

cheers John

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 05:59 AM
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #41
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
Just gobbles it up at the trot. Front sprocket 14 tooth on order to replace the 16 tooth standard. Off road spare wheel has a significantly larger rear sprocket .
can you say wheely machinei'm prety sure that is the coolest bike on the planet
have you tried the offroad sprocket yet,,the reason i ask is that on my ktm adding just 3 teeth on the rear makes it short enough for walking pace while still allowing relaxed 80 mph cruise - taking 2 off the front and adding more on the back would be interesting
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #42
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison
can you say wheely machinei'm prety sure that is the coolest bike on the planet
have you tried the offroad sprocket yet,,the reason i ask is that on my ktm adding just 3 teeth on the rear makes it short enough for walking pace while still allowing relaxed 80 mph cruise - taking 2 off the front and adding more on the back would be interesting
Rex, wheely is understatement. I think the KTM may be a lot better just off idle to give you the walk. Sorry I can't try out till April but I hope my mates have some 'soft green lanes' for me to try on. Mind you last time I went out with them they found a couple of sections to 'stretch me' (can we turn round now please - no!). I'm sure the bike will handle it, not so sure about the rider.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #43
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You might like to try this

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217692
Old 04-15-2007, 02:56 AM   #44
Cupid Stunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Come on then John we want to know more
have you sorted the off idle throttle or jerky fueling in the lower revs ?
Cupid Stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #45
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Just tooling around

Quote:
Come on then John we want to know more
have you sorted the off idle throttle or jerky fueling in the lower revs ?
Have not had much chance to do many miles recently and I don't think that the fuelling is going to get top priority this year. Tooling around with my mate on his Blackbird showed he had no advantage till a hundred and in compaison handled like a tub of lard. Starting to rev it now just to 8000 but it gets there so quick and the wind blast over a hundred leads to less stability so I don't go there much. I have learned to ride above the very bottom end stutter and to be honest I have ridden bikes much worse than this, its just that my Rosso Corsa fuels so cleanly right off idle I probably expect too much.

Have got some better fuel economy now it is nearly run in, 40mpg (imperial) as a hooligan to 50mpg staying just over the speed limits.

In a weeks time I expect to take it down my mates place near Limoge in France. I will do it in the day so will get some idea of its distance potential, reliability etc. When I get back we have an off road trail day organised, so in about a month expect some more info hopefully with some decent pictures

Thanks for your interest