Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #691
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,718
I'd like to acknowlege phil fong for PM-ing me of this terrible news. I'd just recently got back home from an event and more or less been "off the air" tidying up the last day or so afterwards. I had not heard of this until fongy sent the Tulsa newspaper link to me.

I have met some of the (Swedish) people involved in this venture, and believe me, this was a grass roots effort of over a decade or more, for a number of dedicated visionaries who had invested their time and lives into establishing the Highland name. It seem's that Mats had found a kindred spirit in his US counterpart - Chase - and all the people at Highland US were swept up in the enthusiasm to create what can be a very innovative and passionate brand of motorcycle.

Condolences to the families of the deceased and to the extended "family" at Highland US. May you all find the strength and inner peace to go on, when the pain of this terrible tradgedy eventually has passed; in the memory of these three founders of Highland.

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #692
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,464
I take if from their website and the "We will miss you" part, that they intent to soldier on. And that's good, because I'd hate to see the company die with them.

I was very skeptical of the company, but after talking with Chase, I got the sense that they are for real, and want to create something very cool.

They have designed a 350cc motorcycle (and apparently 2-3 others) for an Indian company that will be available throughout much of the world at an ridiculously low price.

And I'm still very much interested in a 350 Trail (which I kept calling a "Trail X" for some reason).
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #693
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
The ideas and concept are very favorable. The ability to pull off the endeavor is highly questionable. I have mixed emotions about the bike carrying on from this point forward. If the project was so hugely related to the three of them. A part of me says that the dream should die too. If continued it seems that it is purely for bussiness reasons and some how cheapens their passing. That is only one part of me. If I knew them then it would be easier to watch it fade. If true motorcyclists are still in place and or will be put in place then I feel that the idea of motorcycling lives on and somehow can raise the spirit of all involved to overcome such a tragedy. If its about the money, go home. If it is about leaving a beautiful legacy to kindred spirits, Ride On.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #694
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
The public face

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc
The ideas and concept are very favorable. The ability to pull off the endeavor is highly questionable. I have mixed emotions about the bike carrying on from this point forward. If the project was so hugely related to the three of them. A part of me says that the dream should die too. If continued it seems that it is purely for bussiness reasons and some how cheapens their passing. That is only one part of me. If I knew them then it would be easier to watch it fade. If true motorcyclists are still in place and or will be put in place then I feel that the idea of motorcycling lives on and somehow can raise the spirit of all involved to overcome such a tragedy. If its about the money, go home. If it is about leaving a beautiful legacy to kindred spirits, Ride On.
Every organisation has a public face that people identify as being the organisation itself. I understand there are others at Highland who have been doing the spadework in the background, able enthusiastic people who are not on the front desk. There is no doubt that they will step up. Things may be different to what was expected but so many have the enthusiasm, committment, investment and their livelyhood in US Highland I think it would be a mistake to do anything else.

There will be a period of grief and sadness but when the going gets tough...........

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #695
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Highland used to have 10 people doing all this, but now with Harcom, they're up to 40, I believe. Here are few snippets from Chase before the tragedy. I assume privacy is no longer an issue -

PR> with any firm in a take over process is complicated. As the companys you deal with usually are having issues or they would’nt be seeking new owners. The electric bike proto-type was first built in our r&d group 2 years ago and we know it works great and is well beyond anything the compition is offerning. We have not made any pictures available because the frame we used was cannondale, as our frame shop has just this qurter came on line. So our frames were limited and extreamly expencive, and needed to fininsh there 1000 hour tests. As we now have several frames coming off line daily and more welders getting hired every week that is no longer the case so the zero model is now on the table and I am supervising it’s build up my self. It has been made public on adv that I work here at USH it just may be it is in the threads you haven’t read yet. Any other input you have I will be happy to receive and apply what I can. Have a great day ….Chase

John: We have 2 , 350 bikes currently in our line up. One will be made in India for the Indian market through TVS. It will have a 28 inch seat height and 26 hp and 31 lb’s torque. It will sell in India for 1600 $ . It will be average in all respects with a heavy focus on longevity , reliability ,easy service and fuel economy (65 Mpg). As a R&D company we have 3 such projects currently in development. It will be 100 % Indian manufacturing. The second will be a 30 inch seat height, built here in Tulsa with 40 hp and 39 ft lbs torque. Both can be purchased through the local dealer network. But there will be a customs up charge for the Indian model and they are as different as the 2 , Honda 150,s are. All highlands will have a 1 year guarantee . Utube is coming awd already here. As we use one frame across the single line they are all very close but the weights are done here and certified and final weights will be in the web site as well , FAQ is a great idea. Quads are complete in inventory including 36 frames ready to go .Prices go on the web this weekend along with our completed line up and we are 20 days ahead of our target date. Good point on the name I thought of it more as the info is more important than the guy. But I see where you are coming from. The new 950 quad, street tracker, 350 I, and aluminum 450 /507 quad are all out sourced in us with local builders, so no build up time required . While we are all working hard we sometimes miss the things you have brought up and I am great full. Please remember our first bike will not roll out of the factory till aug 15 th at 4:30 . Have a great day…Chase
Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #696
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
Tragic story. R.I.P. Hopefully their dream carries on as their legacy.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #697
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,695
Beyond words.

This past bike week in Daytona, my dad and I met Chad while just rooming around on main street one day checking out the street tracker they had to offer. A second trip ensued, and from there all three of us bonded in a way that words cannot put together.

As a recent college graduate (with an unemployed dad), Chad was actually looking for dealer/customer representatives to do two things: ride the bikes and promote the brand. We actually had an informal agreement in place to start working for Highland near the end of August to work with dealers and to-be supported riders throughout the Southeast. While that may not happen now, I will say that if the money comes along, I will buy a Highland product, in a heartbeat.

While it is a tragedy with recent events, I implore any motorcyclist to consider either A) investing in Highland motors for the future by purchasing a product or B) promoting their products in any fashion. They had several models in line that, at minimum, are mouth-watering to tempting. These including the soon to be announced 350cc motocrosser/enduro ride and their bad-to-the-bone street tracker (weighed in at 300 pounds...street legal!).

At the least, continue to promote the brand. Chad and Malms were beyond committed to making this work, especially after watching Cannondale fall flatter than a pancake. They wanted the brand to succeed on and off the track. But more importantly, they wanted to produce a unique AMERICAN product that would change motorcyclists minds about what a motorcycle was.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #698
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Chase and Mats?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #699
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Here are few snippets from Chase before the tragedy. I assume privacy is no longer an issue -
If Chase didn't ask you to keep stuff to yourself then no problem

Sometimes we have to be careful if information benefits competitors. I think US Highland need our special support now.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #700
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
I think US Highland need our special support now.

+1

They sure do.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #701
Benz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope the company can make it through. I was set to put an order in on the street tracker.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #702
supermoto51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
This is a set back, not the end
they cant build it for you if you dont let them know you want one.
supermoto51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #703
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoto51
This is a set back, not the end
they cant build it for you if you dont let them know you want one.
Hi Kurt,

I know it's probably a bit soon, but will you be able to keep us up with developments in US Highland?

Most people would like to know progress on the DOT EPA testing.

Best wishes

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #704
supermoto51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
hay back John,
First let me say thanks for all the support !!!! it Has Been Overwhelming. Thank you all again.
Secondly in this time of transition it is not legal for any one one the inside to say anything about the future until the BOD, and the new officers publicly present the plan.
Those are the rules we must fallow.
We are a very strong company, With great Leaders, Yes this is a Diffiacult transition Period. But Mr Andersson is At the helm.He is a great,and experianced Captain. He can lead us on to the greatness we are capable of, and beyond.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. THANK YOU ALL FOR KEEPING THE FAMILIES OF MATS MALMBERG,CHASE BALES,AND DAMIAN RIDDOCH,IN YOUR PRAYERS.
Kurt
supermoto51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #705
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
Great to hear Kurt.

Glad you are helping to keep us posted on US Highland updates. Much appreciated.

thank you.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote