Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #706
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Great to hear Kurt.

Glad you are helping to keep us posted on US Highland updates. Much appreciated.

thank you.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #707
wpetrie
P-Lush

Oddometer: 14
Kurt,

It's good to hear that the company is moving forward after such a tragic loss. I hope the transition goes smoothly as I'm sure there will be lots of difficult times dealing with the loss of three leaders.

I have a couple of promotional ideas to run past you and I will give you a call in regards to that.
wpetrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #708
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 300
Company Presses On

Recent appointments at U.S. Highland

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/us-hi...ves-89792.html

Good luck guys & nice job on the web site with the memorial photos
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #709
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,331
Sweet, good luck guys!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #710
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
I just had to post. I briefly met Mats and Chase. Great guys. They will be missed. I hope that their family and loved ones do alright. I really hope this company makes it. For their sake and ours. Some of the greatest bikes ever.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #711
supermoto51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hello All

I wanted to keep you all in the loop as the news comes out ,!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Hig....html?x=0&.v=1

Also lots of info on new US Highland Facebook page please become a Friend!!!
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']http://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Highland/134944296544722?ref=sgm[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']or:[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']http://bit.ly/aNBobb.[/font][/font]

Fallow on Twitter also :[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']http://www.twitter.com/ushighland[/font]
Lets Get a great fallowing going!!!
Kurt
supermoto51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #712
supermoto51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Well, US Highland is on the return path to normal ness. As much as possiable consdering......
We are planning a presence at Eagle River the 22 thru the 25th of August,
Thanks to the encouragment of Wayne Petrie MS, Thanks Wayne, and also at the 10 th aneversery @ Big Wood the 25th and 26th of Sept.
Will have product to test ride , wanting to meet potential dealers ect.
Hope to see you there.
US Highland Impressed a lot of folk with a stock Highland at X Games. Cory was on a Bike any one will be able to get from there local dealer. Great Job Cory Green!!!!!
The pro's who road it at Glen Helen said it was the fastest, most ridable machine the had ever been upon.!!
Way to go Martin and all the Gang In Sweden and Oklahoma.
supermoto51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #713
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Hey Kurt:

Thanks for keeping the faithfull updated.

Any chance you can let us know where things stand with: EPA, DOT, pricing range on some of the platforms and availability of retro fit kit for twin throttle bodies for the 950s that have single inlets, err like mine.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #714
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoto51
Well, US Highland is on the return path to normal ness. As much as possiable consdering......
We are planning a presence at Eagle River the 22 thru the 25th of August,
Thanks to the encouragment of Wayne Petrie MS, Thanks Wayne, and also at the 10 th aneversery @ Big Wood the 25th and 26th of Sept.
Will have product to test ride , wanting to meet potential dealers ect.
Hope to see you there.
US Highland Impressed a lot of folk with a stock Highland at X Games. Cory was on a Bike any one will be able to get from there local dealer. Great Job Cory Green!!!!!
The pro's who road it at Glen Helen said it was the fastest, most ridable machine the had ever been upon.!!
Way to go Martin and all the Gang In Sweden and Oklahoma.
Wonderful News!!

Be sure to have your note book ready.

Thanks Kurt and US Highland.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #715
Loftur.th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I would like to see something like this from USHighland

Hi guys, I have enthusiastically read all of those 49 pages, and wow I would like to see an adventure Highland with the V2. That motor has got some potential.

I found this article somewhere. Apparently there is a guy in the south of Germany, a former Highland dealer which Mat contacted sometime in the early 2000's and asked to make a Rally version based on the Outback/Allroad. I have not read it all but thought you might like it. Check it out. Sadly for most of you it is in German.(Google translate)

The guy's workshop and dealership:
http://www.pors.de

German enduro magazine review:
http://www.pors.de/fr_testberichte.html
Click on Enduro Abenteuer 01/2000 E-XTREME / Highland in the blue box above

And a little more along with specs
Click on Motorrad Abenteuer 06/2001 Die 10 Gebote
Loftur.th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #716
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto
Hey Kurt:

Thanks for keeping the faithfull updated.

Any chance you can let us know where things stand with: EPA, DOT, pricing range on some of the platforms and availability of retro fit kit for twin throttle bodies for the 950s that have single inlets, err like mine.
Bump this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Wonderful News!!

Be sure to have your note book ready.

Thanks Kurt and US Highland.
Hi Kurt, seems you are making good progress in the area of competition. Will this take priority over the road and D/S vtwins?

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #717
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftur.th
Hi guys, I have enthusiastically read all of those 49 pages, and wow I would like to see an adventure Highland with the V2. That motor has got some potential.

I found this article somewhere. Apparently there is a guy in the south of Germany, a former Highland dealer which Mat contacted sometime in the early 2000's and asked to make a Rally version based on the Outback/Allroad. I have not read it all but thought you might like it. Check it out. Sadly for most of you it is in German.(Google translate)

The guy's workshop and dealership:
http://www.pors.de

German enduro magazine review:
http://www.pors.de/fr_testberichte.html
Click on Enduro Abenteuer 01/2000 E-XTREME / Highland in the blue box above

And a little more along with specs
Click on Motorrad Abenteuer 06/2001 Die 10 Gebote
Another gentleman with the same dream. So much work done all that time ago, with the new technologies it can be even better.

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #718
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
Bump this

Hi Kurt, seems you are making good progress in the area of competition. Will this take priority over the road and D/S vtwins?
Yes Yes, the Dual Sport twins. Where are You? When are You?
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #719
Thumber
Sweden

Oddometer: 31
DNC Dala Navigation Challenge

Here is a ride report from Sweden

Just back from the forests of Dalarna in Sweden and the event “Dala Navigation Challenge”. This was the first time ever for this event to take place. The concept is to meet up with fellow off roaders on Friday evening and to have an 8 hour navigation challenge on Saturday and after that a “get together” in the evening and to go back home on Sunday. Great concept and lots of fun.
Since I live near Stockholm I took Friday of from work and set out together with a friend on Friday at 10. We had two priorities, gravel roads and a very nice lunch. Three hours of great gravel roads later we set down for lunch at Dala Husby Hotel. A gastronomic highlight in Dalarna. We arrived at Laxsjön at 5 in the afternoon and had a brew and a chat with the rest of the riders. At 7 we gathered for information and to start the planning. We were 35 all together and divided into 17 teams. Two by two.

All teams got maps of the area and descriptions of all the checkpoints and special stages. Paper for analog making of roadbooks was provided, local expertise and dinner as well. There was 10 cp:s and 24 ss:s. One point were given for each driven km, 15 for cp:s and between 5 and 50 for ss:s depending on how long, difficult or beautiful they were. Penalty was given for each minute late or early at the finish line. Asphalt road was limited to max 50km/h, as well as average speed. Bonus points was given for stopping and talking to locals or other riders. The challenge was to make up an eight hour route via at least 5 cp:s and as many ss:s as you like. The ss:s was very different and with help from the local riders we decided not to visit the most difficult ss:s. No power-lines, no soft sand road with bumps and above all no bogs! (my team mate rides an Africa Twin) Then we “only” had to estimate how many points our route would be. Closest to “ideal points” at the finish line is the winner. Electronic gadgets are prohibited. No GPS etc.

This concept is very nice because it is not a very big advantage to be a great motor cycle rider. The riders had very different skills. Two had ridden the Toareg-ralley twice and others, like me, take the bike to work and not much more. Good planning and clever riding is the key to success.

So, my friend and I decided not to make a road book but to go with the classic “navigate by analog map” method. We made a sort of road book of all the descriptions of the ss:s and cp:s. It proved to be a success. We also marked the route on the map with a pen as well as the ss:s and cp:s. It covered 6 cp:s and 8 ss:s. After that we started to estimate our total score, and that was all the planning we did, it took us three hours!

In the morning we had breakfast together with the other riders and prepared to leave. We had the first starting time and was off at 9. The navigation was easy once you got in to it and had calibrated the “inside your head trip” with the map which was 1:100.000. A few times we went the wrong way, had to go off route to fill up gas and to eat. All in all the planning was OK but at the 5:th cp we had to many “got lost points” on the trip and had to skip the last cp not to get to many points. We also was in a hurry to get back at 5 pm. Our calculations was very good and we finished at 437 points, only 2 from our estimated 439. This landed us the first price! Ha ha to the cocky Rally Raiders!

We spent the evening looking at pics and helmet-cam movies, drinking beer and bragging. Almost all riders stayed the night and we all had breakfast together, packed up and left for home at about 9. The trip back home was planned to go via a classic trucker steak house in Sala for lunch and a coffee at Ulva kvarn north of Uppsala. Altogether we had three lovely days of gravel riding. 850km road was covered at 0.75l/10km average fuel consumption.

The event was a success and is likely to come back in 2011. Anyone interested? Snekey? John? It was lonely with just one Highland but on the other hand i got all the attention...
And now the best part of all. I have had my doubts about the highland, its roughness, its ugliness, its reliability and its comfort. That is all in the eyes of a commuter like me. But 850km:s of gravel roads was a treat. This must be what the Highland people had in mind when they designed the bike. I had no problems keeping up with the other riders on gravel. On the small paths I found it very easy to handle even at low speed and low rpm. We rode on grass, stone, sand and mud and it performed much better than I expected and feared. Next time around I will put on some S21 tires or similar. This time I rode on very worn T63:s. That should make a difference I think.

Bye for now.

/TF

Thumber screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #720
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Great report Thumber

The Highland's on this side of the pond are few but hopefully that will all change very soon when U.S. Highland gets production ramped up.

Kurt: anything to share? Platform Pricing ranges, EPA, DOT, Twin Inlet Retro-Fit package, Come on throw us a bone or at least something to chew on.

An Article written about the Viking is here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...ing/index.html

On my Allroad, I replaced the stock exhaust cans with a set of FMF pipes for a KTM. Thanks to Craig a CJ Designs, he had some spare exhaust flanges that made mating the FMF cans to the Highland header a whole lot easier. Performance is a bit better through the gears, off idle a little smoother and it moved the hesitation/surging/dead spot to about 4K RPM. Under hard throttle it does skip over the bad spot without much fuss. Steady throttle at 4Kish not so good. Hot starting is a little better but it still makes a god awful noise if it doesn't light up on the first starter hit. Is this typical for the Non-Twinie Inlet bikes?

I kind of thought the bike would be running cooler after the de-cat but it seems about the same. Still haven't done anything about getting a oil or temp guage but that's next.

All in all very happy the bike is de-catted.