Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #61
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Just fyi, for the pics you can host them on a picture hosting site, then just paste in the img text whenever you want them to show up on a forum. Saves multiple uploading and lets you put in as many (and as big) pictures as you like.

I use www.postwhore.biz and www.photobucket.com smugmug and imageevent are also popular.

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #62
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
A Young French Highland wanabe

A few more years before he can touch the floor
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-09-2007 at 02:41 AM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #63
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Just fyi, for the pics you can host them on a picture hosting site, then just paste in the img text whenever you want them to show up on a forum. Saves multiple uploading and lets you put in as many (and as big) pictures as you like.

I use www.postwhore.biz and www.photobucket.com smugmug and imageevent are also popular.

have fun
I'll do that next time - many thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 04:49 AM   #64
Oof
Twin lover

Oddometer: 21
Hi John,

Thanks for this thread (you gave it to me @ club Highland), seems that without the aquavite the Swedes stay silent!
Good to read that its a stonking bike. (I am already a bit in love with the bike) I Just got an invitation this week from the Dutch importer to come over and test ride an Allroad, cant wait....
Being an allroad touring kind a guy i am really waiting for the Highland Nordkap of which they say it is based on the Triumph Tiger and the BMW GS. However i got no indication when it will come out.

Can you please put some pics of the front, the back and the dash in this thread? and how's the bike doing? stil turning over irregular?

Oof

Oof screwed with this post 05-18-2007 at 05:25 AM
Oof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #65
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oof
Hi John,

Thanks for this thread (you gave it to me @ club Highland), seems that without the aquavite the Swedes stay silent!
Good to read that its a stonking bike. (I am already a bit in love with the bike) I Just got an invitation this week from the Dutch importer to come over and test drive an Allroad, cant wait....
Being an allroad touring kind a guy i am really waiting for the Highland Nordkap of which they say it is based on the Triumph Tiger and the BMW GS. However i got no indication when it will come out.

Can you please put some pics of the front, the back and the dash in this thread? and how's the bike doing? stil turning over irregular?

Oof
Welcome mate!

it was getting lonely here again. The bike is better the more I use it. Especially when I keep hearing from my mates about their problems with other bikes. Sometimes I just expect too much.

I'm past worrying about the low rev smoothness, I just ride round it, most of the time forgetting it's a problem at all. The advantages of real power in the main riding zone seem to outway the other consideration. Still have not done a decent off road test, the little bits I've done are promising but without someone useful alongside it is hard to judge.

Just done the latest oil and filter change at 3500 (Edit:- oil and filter required each 3000k) and expect to go out with my mate on his Blackbird tomorrow, fortunately he limits his top speed (he needs his licence for his job) so I am not the one trying to keep up, the Highland being superior on the twisties.

This seems to be the only current thread that has any real info. The guys at Rock and Road although helpful don't really seem to do anything in the way of promotion now. Could be that the KTM has cleaned up.

If there are any KTM 950/990 owners in the north of England following this who wouldn't mind me tagging along for a day or half day, road or off road please drop me a line 'cos I'd love to see why the Katooms are 'weapon of choice' for the confirmed dual sport rider. I don't mean track style just a ride to get some idea. That's it, just humour the poor old soul
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-24-2007 at 12:46 PM
Old 05-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #66
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
If there are any KTM 950/990 owners in the north of England following this who wouldn't mind me tagging along for a day or half day, road or off road please drop me a line 'cos I'd love to see why the Katooms are 'weapon of choice' for the confirmed dual sport rider. I don't mean track style just a ride to get some idea. That's it, just humour the poor old soul
Send your bike over here next month for the KTM Adventure Rally at Mammoth, CA. Put some dirt tires on it, and we'll switch bikes for a while.

But seriously, those Highland bikes are pretty cool. I'd love to ride one someday.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #67
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Soon to try some proper off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
Send your bike over here next month for the KTM Adventure Rally at Mammoth, CA. Put some dirt tires on it, and we'll switch bikes for a while.

But seriously, those Highland bikes are pretty cool. I'd love to ride one someday.
Would these do the job?

They go on next week for some Yorkshire Dales trails
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #68
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Would these do the job?

They go on next week for some Yorkshire Dales trails
Erm, yeah--those would fit the bill just fine! What sizes are the rims? Narrower than stock 950 wheels I presume?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #69
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
John, have you seen the thread in 'Europe' about the Tan Hill meet in June and the later Wales meet in September. Would be great to see a Highland in the flesh?

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #70
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
Erm, yeah--those would fit the bill just fine! What sizes are the rims? Narrower than stock 950 wheels I presume?
The road rims are 17/19 from the Highland Allroad 950 (see the Highland website) http://www.highland.se/outback.asp. The spare wheels for off road knobblies are the original for the Outback 18/21 being about half an inch narrower than the Allroad. There are in theory quite a few models in the range though most in this country seem to be the Motard with a full set of 17 inch wheels.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #71
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
John, have you seen the thread in 'Europe' about the Tan Hill meet in June and the later Wales meet in September. Would be great to see a Highland in the flesh?
What a shame, have seen the post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224496 but I am supporting my Mrs on the Edinburgh Moonwalk that weekend.

I see you have a great range of riders and bikes going to Tan Hill and that would be just my cup of tea (and camping too), not to mention a few beers. Please keep me informed of anything else local, although I might do the Wales trip later in the year.

Many thanks for the invite. Cheers
Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #72
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Maybe a dumb question...

...but what's the difference between these and a KTM 950SE?

The KTM has about 30 lbs (dry) on the Highland but if you swap out the cans for something titanium you get back nearly 20 lbs of that.

Lots of dealers, lots of farkle available.

The guy reviewing really missed out by not riding the 950SE.

The Highland does look cool though. It'd be nice if it got imported in quantity to the US as that would put pressure on KTM to keep updates coming for the 950 SE and Adventure as well as motivating BMW to either reduce the insane price on the HP2.

One of the few things I like about capitalism... brings me better quality toys
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #73
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes
...but what's the difference between these and a KTM 950SE?
Interesting you compare the Outback with the KTM 950SE, I'm sure the Highland would be unlikely to compare favourably with such a focused enduro machine. Looking back on the thread you can see the comparisons I was making. Would I want to ride a 14 litre tank bike down to France (see post #55)carrying luggage, perhaps not? Perhaps a 990 Adventure or a 1200GS, great bikes that do the long journeys easy? I think they are heavier than they need to be.

Yes I can make changes, adapt a bike in many ways but I really thought the Highland was well designed, light, powerful and reasonably comfortable, well specified with good components. Further it was unusual and I fancied it . Small adventurous outfits like Highland in my mind need support even if they don't suit everyone, the big boys need keeping on their toes for obvious reasons.

Until I get to take it off road properly I cannot make comparisons with other off road machines, I do look forward to it though and I feel lucky to have the opportunity to find out about this particular toy

BTW the Outback has a cat in the cans so I could probably save a few ounces there too.

Can't save much weight on the pistons though - see below
Attached Images

John in Leeds screwed with this post 05-20-2007 at 01:13 PM
Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #74
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Interesting you compare the Outback with the KTM 950SE, I'm sure the Highland would be unlikely to compare favourably with such a focused enduro machine. Looking back on the thread you can see the comparisons I was making. Would I want to ride a 14 litre tank bike down to France (see post #55)carrying luggage, perhaps not? Perhaps a 990 Adventure or a 1200GS, great bikes that do the long journeys easy? I think they are heavier than they need to be.
That was why I figured the SE was a better comparison - other than tank size. It doesn't look like it has the creature comforts of the 950/990 Adventure and it's obviously not the tank that the 1200GSA is. Probably just me judging based on appearance rather than on riding one. Visually it seems like the Highland is more dirt-oriented than the 950/990 Adventure.

That piston is cool... looks like some serious engineering going into them. Must rev like a sewing machine!
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #75
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Hi John, glad it's still all going well.

The side-on pic of you sitting on the bike makes it look really small, like a 250 or something like that. Are you a big guy or is it a small bike?

Edit - Answered my own question, I see in your first post that you're 6'1", 200 pounds. So, as you're bigish but not a monster, I'd say that the bike looks on the small side, I note also in that pic that your left foot is flat on the floor.