Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #796
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,507
Yeah, I'd like to know what a 350 Trail will cost and if I can get it with a reasonably low seat height. Because the Tiger 800 is looking pretty tempting right now.

Will you still be doing Baja? I want to meet up for a beer at least and see a few bikes.
John Ashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #797
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc
I do not think that there is a better cheerleader for US Highland than you and the greasy snake..
Well, the thing is that there is NOTHING from what I know of to compare with. All the other larger twin motards/DS are heavy and clumsy. I tested the 950KTM superenduro. No, no no nonononoooooo thank you. And then there is nothing.. So for me, all I can do is cheer them on and hope to see the latest production over here too. Easy as pie
2007 Aprilia RSV1000R Tuono (for the missus)
A 100% Sushi-free
Highland for the fun and Aprilia for the run
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #798
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 322
Who doesn't like pie or ultimate hooligan machines. I vote you fire up that naughty girl and post her all over this thread
Lorretto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #799
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
Thumb Fantastic!

Went and visited John's Highland factory today for a drooling session......An amazingly light bike with a fantastic engine note! (unlike the sound reproduced by the helmet cam video on Youtube) had a very interesting visit and got to sit on a few bikes.....It felt so light......Like a proper dirt bike but with a comfortable seat.

Not perfect but about the nearest in the large capacity machines available.

A bright future ahead no doubt.....Please make the air filter box higher up (or fit a snorkel)

A cracking day John many thanks

Keith
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #800
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Went and visited John's Highland factory today for a drooling session......An amazingly light bike with a fantastic engine note! (unlike the sound reproduced by the helmet cam video on Youtube) had a very interesting visit and got to sit on a few bikes.....It felt so light......Like a proper dirt bike but with a comfortable seat.

Not perfect but about the nearest in the large capacity machines available.

A bright future ahead no doubt.....Please make the air filter box higher up (or fit a snorkel)

A cracking day John many thanks

Keith
Good to meet you too Keith, if we can get you aboard for a ride in the near future I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised again. A pleasure for me to meet a knowledgable design engineer with all the kit and to get an invite to the workshop. Definately coming over next week for advice and planning.

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #801
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
Good to meet you too Keith, if we can get you aboard for a ride in the near future I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised again. A pleasure for me to meet a knowledgable design engineer with all the kit and to get an invite to the workshop. Definately coming over next week for advice and planning.
Dammit! I wanna be There too!
A 100% Sushi-free
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #802
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Quote:
Oh goody....I'll do some dusting I just started the kettle on a practice training regime too!

Hopefully I should have the important business out of the way by Wednesday matey!

Next time you're over this way give a holler oh Greased one
Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #803
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh goody....I'll do some dusting I just started the kettle on a practice training regime too!

Hopefully I should have the important business out of the way by Wednesday matey!

Next time you're over this way give a holler oh Greased one
Sometimes you are privileged to get an insight into the design and making of the parts of motorcycles we just take for granted. Keith has a wonderland of equipment for design, pattern making, casting and machining of a whole range of materials. It just left my head spinning as to the potential that your needs and imagination can produce in what is essentially not much more than a home workshop. Now I think I have some idea of how John Britten did what he did.

A big Thankyou Keith for all your shared knowledge, advice and your sensible overview of the Outback outlining the inherent problems and superiorities. I look forward to collaberation in getting some of the existing Highland problems properly sorted.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #804
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Quote:
Sometimes you are privileged to get an insight into the design and making of the parts of motorcycles we just take for granted. Keith has a wonderland of equipment for design, pattern making, casting and machining of a whole range of materials. It just left my head spinning as to the potential that your needs and imagination can produce in what is essentially not much more than a home workshop. Now I think I have some idea of how John Britten did what he did.

A big Thankyou Keith for all your shared knowledge, advice and your sensible overview of the Outback outlining the inherent problems and superiorities. I look forward to collaberation in getting some of the existing Highland problems properly sorted.
Cheers John, It's often easier to get things done when there are fewer people involved....always nice when the people involved have the same goal, Just decide what you want and make it happen is the way I approach things....I think the bike has great prospects....now that we both agree on what are roller bearings ;) That engine is fantastic! and it would be amazing to see it cross the USA on video offroad!

I have a few things to put in place and then I may just try and tempt you out of one of your beasts!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #805
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Just decide what you want and make it happen is the way I approach things....

This would rock I think. (Found an old pic I posted on page 11)

A 100% Sushi-free
Old 10-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #806
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake

I'd like to tug on THAT throttle cable...
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #807
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Quote:

Aiming for a top fueller eh Have you relocated the airbox?

I think there's enough room to squeeze one in under the right side of the tank.

I wonder if John has made any progress measuring the space available on his spare machine?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #808
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Aiming for a top fueller eh Have you relocated the airbox?

I think there's enough room to squeeze one in under the right side of the tank.
I have "quitted" with airboxes. As I don't intend to make the airbox pressurised as on a sportsbike during high speeds, I could just drop it and go for separate directly mounted air filtres. If you still want an airbox I would say there is no room at all for it anyways..
A V-twin need right about 8! times it's volume in airbox size, otherwise it'll just cause interference between the two cylinders... Or as a motor-tuning-genious put it once; "You can never get a big enough airbox"

I can't really see the space for it. This is somewhat why we have the issues we have from starters.

Speaking of wich; just been doing some work on Blackie, the '04 black motard.

First of all; Get 'er stripped!

Second, Get the inlets fitted. This is a "quick fix" inlet system (so called Gen4) wich uses stock inlet plates with injectors and stock throttlebody (just need an extra!)

Third; Check space available. No issues there! just a litte adjustment of the tank and it'll be just perfect. A pair of K&N filters will do the trick.

The inlets are removed again, all spaces are checked and fitting against tb:s and heads are marked. Tomorrow I'll get them sand blastered and coated.
A 100% Sushi-free
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #809
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
I have "quitted" with airboxes. As I don't intend to make the airbox pressurised as on a sportsbike during high speeds, I could just drop it and go for separate directly mounted air filtres. If you still want an airbox I would say there is no room at all for it anyways..
A V-twin need right about 8! times it's volume in airbox size, otherwise it'll just cause interference between the two cylinders... Or as a motor-tuning-genious put it once; "You can never get a big enough airbox"

I can't really see the space for it. This is somewhat why we have the issues we have from starters.

Speaking of wich; just been doing some work on Blackie, the '04 black motard.

First of all; Get 'er stripped!

Second, Get the inlets fitted. This is a "quick fix" inlet system (so called Gen4) wich uses stock inlet plates with injectors and stock throttlebody (just need an extra!)

Third; Check space available. No issues there! just a litte adjustment of the tank and it'll be just perfect. A pair of K&N filters will do the trick.

The inlets are removed again, all spaces are checked and fitting against tb:s and heads are marked. Tomorrow I'll get them sand blastered and coated.
Great stuff Johan, You're Da Man

Do you need and extra throttle body? I could pop one in the post

Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #810
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Great stuff Johan, You're Da Man

Do you need and extra throttle body? I could pop one in the post
No problems matey, got a spare one from the ol' Hooligan. Tomorrow, coating and the making of a throttle cable "splitter". Next weekend, startup? I hope so!
A 100% Sushi-free