Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #901
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 310
I've tried to get through via my connections, no answer on the phone at the moment. I'll reply here as soon as I get the info. Shall I buy one for you?

Thanks Johan. Appreciate any help. If you can get your hands on the Spragg, please do snatch it up. If Paypal works at your end, I can get the funds to you so you don't have to go out-of-pocket. In fact, add on a fine bottle of whatever makes your knees buckle for your trouble as I have had no luck so far on this side of the pond.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #902
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
FYI, did a fuel check on Saturday brim to brim. Over some pretty serious back roads speeds a little over the limits, a couple of licence loosing bursts on quiet stretches with Johan's new map yielded just over 54 mpg imperial. Gives over 200 miles per tank - good work Johan and Sven

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #903
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds View Post
FYI, did a fuel check on Saturday brim to brim. Over some pretty serious back roads speeds a little over the limits, a couple of licence loosing bursts on quiet stretches with Johan's new map yielded just over 54 mpg imperial. Gives over 200 miles per tank - good work Johan and Sven
That's gotta be an "ok" figure for a 950 v-twin, right?

And as smooth of a ride as ever I guess?
2007 Aprilia RSV1000R Tuono (for the missus)
A 100% Sushi-free
Highland for the fun and Aprilia for the run
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #904
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake View Post
That's gotta be an "ok" figure for a 950 v-twin, right?

And as smooth of a ride as ever I guess?
Absolutely! and you know the sort of speeds we were travelling and the terrain we went over

The bike now runs really well, settling to a smooth predictable tickover after a serious thrashing. I'm going to have to use it some more 'cos she was giving some of the 'little use Highland clutch slip' at full power in the top 2 gears (don't notice it in the lower gears as it accelerates quickly) . This will vanish as usual after a couple more runs.

The next run I do will give a fuel check after a long high speed motorway and 'A' road session. I get the feeling this will be impressive too considering Heidi has all the aerodynamics of a brick Wish one of the Desert Storm fairings would come my way

Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #905
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I'm really sorry this company didn't make it, I had high hopes for Highland.
Now that the dust seems to have settled, I was just wondering if they were on track to really make this company a success?
Was the plane crash to much bad news at once?
Was it the economic downturn to much but they still had a chance?
Or were they really on track to roll out with some great stuff in the next few months?
What I'm really want to know is how close did they get to hitting a home run?
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #906
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskytoast View Post
I'm really sorry this company didn't make it, I had high hopes for Highland.
Now that the dust seems to have settled, I was just wondering if they were on track to really make this company a success?
Was the plane crash to much bad news at once?
Was it the economic downturn to much but they still had a chance?
Or were they really on track to roll out with some great stuff in the next few months?
What I'm really want to know is how close did they get to hitting a home run?
They were past final base but before just touching home base they tripped over
A 100% Sushi-free
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #907
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
I'm going to have to use it some more 'cos she was giving some of the 'little use Highland clutch slip' at full power in the top 2 gears (don't notice it in the lower gears as it accelerates quickly) . This will vanish as usual after a couple more runs.
Or are we seeing the results of more power and torque?
A 100% Sushi-free
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #908
Calvin T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Oh yes!

My god that is very spooky, I had a NDE (Near Death Experience) just near there when I crashed my 650 berg, caught on video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrytvv-IfA
Calvin T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #909
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake View Post
Or are we seeing the results of more power and torque?
We'll see, in the past both Heidi and the grey motard would occasionally slip the clutch like this until they had a few reqular miles on. It takes time as well for me to get 'into the groove' of really putting the power down, later in the season I go quicker and the clutches stop slipping.

John in Leeds screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 03:26 AM
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #910
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin T View Post
My god that is very spooky, I had a NDE (Near Death Experience) just near there when I crashed my 650 berg, caught on video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrytvv-IfA
Looks like the main road up to Summerbridge. Glad you survived Cal - those Dales walls can just give a tiny bit, certainly better than an oncoming truck

Years ago looped my mates Honda traily onto a wall on Mastiles lane (before it was closed). Punched a hole in the crank case and proceeded to rev out from a jammed cable before I could drag back over the wall to get to it. Cost me dear in a new motor but I kept my mate

Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #911
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
What tire fits Motard?

John, what tire do you use on the Motard that will clear the chain? Not the number size, but the brand. While I'm asking questions, do you think there will ever be a do it yourself twin carb setup?
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #912
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
John, what tire do you use on the Motard that will clear the chain? Not the number size, but the brand. While I'm asking questions, do you think there will ever be a do it yourself twin carb setup?
Hi Rob, not sure of the size and make of the Motard tyre but I'll look in the morning. One thing I do know is that the chain does touch and mark the tyre. I seem to remember that Johan said something about mods to totally stop the problem but I can't remember what he did, no doubt he will let us know again shortly.

With regard to the 'twinlet' system, Keithy has started machining the throttle bodies this week and is likely to be casting the manifold shortly. He is fully set up for a prototype and small production run so as soon as we have tested it we'll let you and the other members of the Highland brotherhood know.

Rest assured we expect a simple to fit sytem that even I could do. However, unless you have access to the ecu mapping equipment where I could send you an appropriate map then we'll have to arrange some sort of system where the ecu will be sent off for mapping and then returned. Lots of details to sort out including price because obviously Keith will have to be paid for his expertise and efforts.

I feel very pleased that at last we are going to get these fantastic v-twins running so we no longer have to be always 'on a mission'

Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #913
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Rob, not sure of the size and make of the Motard tyre but I'll look in the morning. One thing I do know is that the chain does touch and mark the tyre. I seem to remember that Johan said something about mods to totally stop the problem but I can't remember what he did, no doubt he will let us know again shortly.
He must space the sprockets out somehow. I was thinking of lacing up a narrower rim so I could use a one size narrower tire, which may be the best solution but sure is a lot of trouble. Something else I would like to do is lower the bike. I had a hip replacement last year and I have difficulty getting on and off. I don't ride off road so don't need all that ground clearance. I'm hoping there are modifications I can do to the suspension that will significantly lower it but won't mess up the handling. I need some expert advice on this.

nsx screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 10:16 AM
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #914
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
He must space the sprockets out somehow. I was thinking of lacing up a narrower rim so I could use a one size narrower tire, which may be the best solution but sure is a lot of trouble. Something else I would like to do is lower the bike. I had a hip replacement last year and I have difficulty getting on and off. I don't ride off road so don't need all that ground clearance. I'm hoping there are modifications I can do to the suspension that will significantly lower it but won't mess up the handling. I need some expert advice on this.

You got it all right! Well, looking at the chain, it will actually be better "in line" if you space out the FRONT sprocket. There is today a some spacer and a cir-clip on the outer face of the front sprocket. Move the sprocket out as much as possible from the crank case so only the cir-clip will fit.

I run both Metzeler, Dunlops and Bridgestone 160/60-16 on the stock rim and it doesn't chew any rubber. Might be a slight touch but no harm to the tire.

I've lowered one of my highlands quite a bit, I mounted a shorter shock and lifted the forks through the yokes. But not very much, wanted to keep the "head angle" close to what it is with the 18-21 wheels. Just getting a set of 17-17 and not dropping the REAR will make it a weee bit nervous as there is quite a bit difference in height between the 21" outback front and the 17" motard front. This will make the bike "tilt" forward and lessen what is called trail. Probably why many think the motard version is a bit "snatchy".

Motorcycle geometry is fun-fun
A 100% Sushi-free
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #915
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Lowering

I'll reposition the front sprocket. Thanks. I hate having to replace the Ohlins shock, but with no linkage I guess there is no other option. What shock did you use to lower the rear? How much shorter? Does this make a noticeable difference in seat height?