Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #121
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseSnake
I'll try to get my 'ol camera out and get you some pictures before my vacation (and time for fun with the Highland, Mille and Gixxr) runs out

If the pics aren't up before weekend, ask John here to kick me where it hurts! (He's got my mail)

Your freind in the greasy business,

Johan
I sure would like to see pictures of the intake manifold to see if I can get one made.

Robert
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #122
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Highland ATK tie up

This seems to point to the way things are going in the US

Interview with Richard Harrisson race engineer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ROEoTNT7o
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #123
nice1trev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hello all

Nice bike greasesnake ! Like what youve done with it - crazy sweeds
Mine was one of the early imports into the uk and runs the old style ecm like yours.
Ive just reassembled it with 20% harder springs front and rear ,
magura hyrdaulic clutch - much better
scott steering damper
new model exhaust
new model plastics
Its also got 6 piston front brake which is nice

Goes like stink im not even concerned about the rough idle as im coming off a '98 ktm 620 and its sooo much better than that thing.
(Ill send photos when i work out how to make them smaller)

Hello there John hope your well - ill give ya a ring soon

To max red kadett - i like your style travelling to france from kiev for your bike ... im sure youll be very pleased when its running properly !
(I have pdf assembly instruction manual if you want)

Grant
scotland uk
Old 10-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #124
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

No suspension, no ground clearance, NO Problem!

Memories

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcgreen...55463552/show/

Real Fun!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #125
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

ECU setup in UK

For Highland owners in UK. I have purchased the ECU management update software together with some spares from Tim the previous Highland importer. If anyone needs some attention to their ECU just contact me and I'll do my best to help.

I think things are likely to be a little quiet until I can get together with FettSnok to get an upgrade for the inlet system, until then I will post some of Tim's dyno results taken from a Power Commander dyno. He was getting about 89 rwhp by removing the existing airbox and cats in the exhausts. Seems somewhat better than the results from MCN on their test (72 hp).

Puts it a bit closer to the KTM 950 (92 ontest) but still strangled at the top end.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #126
nice1trev
Adventurer

Hey John
now thats sounds interesting ! wonder if it does anything for the start up and idle ? also wonder if it communicates with the old style ecm , do you run it through a laptop or just plug a box in somewhere
Have you any news on highlands new factory / bikes progress, i tryed looking for the highland/atk bike but couldnt find it

Cheers mate hope your well
Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #127
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Grant

I think the set up will communicate with the older ecu. I have yet to experiment with the mapping and if you fancy bringing your bike down we could try some stuff. I think most of Tim's mapping efforts were going towards power and racing whereas I will concentrate on ride and sweet running. There is likely to be some improvement in the starting but remember the ignition has to interpolate it cylinder recognition as it has no cam position sensor. The fitting of the new Oddysey battery has improved starting significantly.

Still no news from any of the Highland tie ups except that posted in #124. They are playing things very close to their chest and I don't
think this devastating slump/depression will help one bit.

I think for the time being out best hope at getting our bikes to run to their astonishing potential is with FettSnok (Johan). Let's hope his latest development is successful. If it is I know where my money's going.

Cheers John

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #128
nice1trev
Adventurer

Yeah John i definatly think the oddysey battery is the way forward even though i had to hack mine to bits to get it in there - pc535 from memory, very tight height wise but the side fins can be shaved off and it fits neatly shall i say. Improved cranking speed greatly, i only tried it for a day due to shipping it of to overland solutions in a hurry but it solved the starting probs i had. very confident...i think (did you run a pc 535?)

It is a shame about the slump in the economy , these guys could do great things - have ya seen the '07 450 supermotard - mega !
Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #129
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev
Yeah John i definatly think the oddysey battery is the way forward even though i had to hack mine to bits to get it in there - pc535 from memory, very tight height wise but the side fins can be shaved off and it fits neatly shall i say. Improved cranking speed greatly, i only tried it for a day due to shipping it of to overland solutions in a hurry but it solved the starting probs i had. very confident...i think (did you run a pc 535?)

It is a shame about the slump in the economy , these guys could do great things - have ya seen the '07 450 supermotard - mega !
I think it's the 545 placed on end. I have removed a bit of the seat pan and the battery sits up into the foam just behind my sitting position. When I modify the tank to accommodate the twin inlet system I'll also make changes to the tank (and frame) to allow the battery to sit normally.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #130
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Red Kadett
Ok, suppose it's a battery fault for no idle and so on. Can I try some hint to be sure that it is the battery makes so many troubles, I mean, Can I connect car battery to the bike, would it be safe for the bike's electronics??? Would the car battery provide enough crank amps???

P.S. I have taken back my Highland from Honda dealer mechanics...the result unfortunately is frustrating, nothing have been improved, They checked valve timing with the help of special highland tool, everything is ok, all checks have shown that the bike should run properly but it doesn't.
It does not sound as if you have a battery problem though a car battery will not harm your bike as long as it is 12volt.

It might help if you specifically described how your bike was running and what symptoms it showed.

None of the Highlands except the dual inlet versions run at all sweetly. Mine is not at all good below 3000rpm.

An updated ecu map may make a difference.

keep us informed

Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #131
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Lost again John?

Fell off on the wet grass with the road tyre on the back. Better with the 47 tooth rear and 17 tooth gearbox sprocket combination. The front Bridgestone nobbly was excellent off road and on.

and yes it is a KTM, Gavin's nice example of a 950

John in Leeds screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 05:15 PM
Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #132
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Red Kadett
It seems like the highland factory doesn't produse road bikes with V-twin any more(allroad, motard), The info about road v-twins were removed from their official site http://www.highland.se/pages.asp?pageID=25 . Only 450cc remains....sshhhhhhhhhhtttt!!!!Iam so sad about this...
Well Max it's probably not quite as bad as it seems. Although production of the road bikes has gone from Sweden for a long time they still quote the V2 engine and DirTrac here http://www.highland.se/pages.asp?pageID=25

Also they are shown on the LuoJia Highland site here http://en.luojiamotor.com/product/Pr...oductClassID=3

I expect the agreement is that Highland China will handle any road bikes from now on.

What does concern me however is that the ATK connection seems to be falling down see http://atkmotorsports.com/atkbb/view...5b6e8967186d0a

I thought there would have been some good developement as both companies are involved in track competition.

Once again thing don't look good, that said I enjoyed my ride out in the Yorkshire Dales last Friday. Good bike - great fun

Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #133
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

So come on Max, just what are the problems?

you never know, we might be able to sort something

Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #134
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
I do believe they took two husaberg singles to make the twin motor. If anything like a Husaberg be ready for frequent valve checks .
Sweet bikes, not sure on the reliability.

I don't agree with you statement. The valves on my 04 650 are rock solid.

The highland motor looks way different from the bergs.

There is a guy in Colorado who is in tight with highland. They said that he did some design work for the. He has two Highland or his own built twins with Hiland motors in them. He has run them for a few years now. I run across the guy a couple of times. He is always riding those bike. They look great and run strong.
I know if Highland was importing into the US I would probbly be riding one of thier twins right now.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 AM   #135
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
There is a guy in Colorado who is in tight with highland. I run across the guy a couple of times. He is always riding those bike. They look great and run strong. .......
Please put me in touch with this guy - information is so hard to come by.

Cheers

John