User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
RiverRat280 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Vento reliability?

So how reliable are the Vento scooters? I'm looking at the Triton for my mum to get around on, she's been kinda depressed lately since her illness and hasn't gotten out of the house enough and she loved the idea of a scooter but I don't know if I should be spending the $1500 on a Vento or just pay the $500 or so extra to get one of the Jap ones like a Zuma. Whats the diff between the Zip and Triton...the Triton is just the bigger frame for taller people right? I'm not going to be around to work on the scoot after I move so I'd like something reliable that all she has to do is add oil and gas, I don't think she'd have a problem checking the oil to make sure she doesn't go dry. Before all the Rukus people chime in she doesn't care for the looks of it.

I've also been thinkin of the Vento Sauron BKM for the wife and I to go to work, whats it's comfortable cruising speed? Is it much faster then the Triton since it has that 125cc motor or should I just get her a Triton and tell her to keep to the back roads?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat280
...or just pay the $500 or so extra to get one of the Jap ones like a Zuma. ... I'm not going to be around to work on the scoot after I move so I'd like something reliable that all she has to do is add oil and gas, I don't think she'd have a problem checking the oil to make sure she doesn't go dry.
You've answered your own question, you want something reliable cause you won't be around to fix it, get a Honda / Yami whatever, and tell your Mom to enjoy it. How bout a Supercub, they just sold their 50 millionth!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat280
So how reliable are the Vento scooters? I'm looking at the Triton for my mum to get around on, she's been kinda depressed lately since her illness and hasn't gotten out of the house enough and she loved the idea of a scooter but I don't know if I should be spending the $1500 on a Vento or just pay the $500 or so extra to get one of the Jap ones like a Zuma. Whats the diff between the Zip and Triton...the Triton is just the bigger frame for taller people right? I'm not going to be around to work on the scoot after I move so I'd like something reliable that all she has to do is add oil and gas, I don't think she'd have a problem checking the oil to make sure she doesn't go dry. Before all the Rukus people chime in she doesn't care for the looks of it.
Both use the same running gear, which is the Minarelli horizontal motor, which is in buttload of scooters from major manufacturers (some use the vertical version). It's bulletproof and easy to get parts for. One common problem with a huge run of the scoots (not just Vento) was a defective oil reservoir cap which would leak. Quick easy fix if you get one of those.

Triton is the larger frame; Zip is the smaller one. Extensive reports on my blog--start here and work your way forward. The blog is written for non-motorcyclists so it's a bit dumbed down but also written from a GS-rider's point of view in terms of expectations of competence. Or something like that.

Quote:
I've also been thinkin of the Vento Sauron BKM for the wife and I to go to work, whats it's comfortable cruising speed? Is it much faster then the Triton since it has that 125cc motor or should I just get her a Triton and tell her to keep to the back roads?
A 50cc bike is in its element on relatively flat (mild hills) roads and flow of traffic that's no more than 45...suburban streets, urban streets, and so on. My daily commuter is a Super9 (50cc liquid cooled beastie) and it never has felt underpowered but I'm in it's sweet spot.

If you need more oomph, go up to the 125. Your Triton will eventually max out at about 45 or so; the Zip R3i will do about 43.

As I've said many times before I wouldn't hestitate to get another Vento.

If price point is an issue, get the Vento. Another 50cc scoot to consider is the Yamaha Zuma. The 4stroke Honda Ruckus and Metropolitan (they share the same drivetrain) are slightly slower but are of course cleaner. Kymco is an excelllent brand that carries a 2 year warranty; they've been building engines and parts for japanese motorcycle companies since the 60's and also have a good presence here in the US with a headquarters in SC.

Do a search--couple of good posts on the brand here. DoctorIt has one.

Like I like. Yep.

Photog screwed with this post 04-20-2006 at 03:35 PM
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote