User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
mr openroad OP
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
new electric scooter!

my girlfriend works for a company that is helping this company www.vectrixusa.com with the making of this electric scooter. she says ducati is somehow involved I'm not sure how yet! but it sounds interesting. I do not ride scooters but I am interested in hearing from people that know scooters what you think of this scooter? is it something you would ride or buy? what is your opinion?

mr openroad screwed with this post 04-20-2006 at 09:25 PM
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Well first, I hope your girlfriend does not get in any trouble. Typically there are things like non disclosure agreements.

Now on the the scooter. Electric scooters are a tough call. I like the idea. However, in general americans do not buy expensive, new, two-wheelers as basic transportation. There is the length of time to the break even point on this thing
Quote:
While it is likely to cost slightly more than an equivalent gas maxi-scooter, the Vectrix scooter will be up to 25% cheaper to own over four years

I really would lie to see it work. I just doubt it will.
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
mrmonk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
62mph top speed and 68 miles range is not acceptable, period.
mrmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonk
Actually, I think that range and speed are quite good for city dwellers. Most would ride less than 30 miles/day, and having double that range avaliable is a big bonus.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
ajay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
electric scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Actually, I think that range and speed are quite good for city dwellers. Most would ride less than 30 miles/day, and having double that range avaliable is a big bonus.

I agree - most urban commuters would give up some mph for extended range. Price point will important though. If it is too expensive Americans will not buy it.
Plug in scooters are seen throughout Europe - they appear less powerful though. Outlets to plug into are available on the street in many European cites also. Not sure that American cities would install that - thus the need for range. Rush hour commutes in most cities rarely gets to 50 mph! Also, many commutes are too short for most motorcycles to properly charge or reach operating temperature.
I. for one, am very interested in learning more - it would be perfect for Philadelphia area commuting.
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
The trouble with marketing is that you do not sell to what people do. You sell to what they want to see themselves doing.
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonk
I disagree. That range and speed fits well within my commute parameters--I"d have enough for errand-running plus the commute daily, with flow of traffic rarerly exceeding 50mph.

Personally I'd like to see it or an additional model in a smaller package. One of the advantages of the smaller scoots, whether it's the Stella or Super 9, is that I can snug it up against a building somewhere and make my own parking. The maxi scoots have to be parked in a regular space. I would consider a smaller-frame scoot of this sort.

I've read the early report in one magazine and have been following the brand.

However, here in the US, I think that it would appeal only to early adopters and acceptance past that will be slow. Honda has been working on a hybrid for a while that may clear the path for other electrics and hybrids, and they will have the advantage of an existing parts bin, branding, a dealer network, and so on.

Hybrid:

Fuel Cell:

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Mind you thats 68 miles @25mph but the speed and range are more then acceptable but if I was to get an electric scoot I'd want a small one not a maxi-scoot. I'd rather have something the size of the 150cc scoots but I suppose they need to make it large for the battery packs.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
mr openroad OP
Target Fixated

I think that there is lots of potential with it! if they can extend range to 100 miles maybe a little more speed and I think the biggie will be price.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
When we get to $3.00 a gallon gas, this thing probably will take off.

If the pricepoint is reasonable, its a seller. I'd love to see a nation of scooters!

Two concerns: Liability from having no noise. Someone might own the company after running down a couple of pedestrians. Maybe play a recording of a harley...
Also, I wonder about registration, I doubt many states are set up to handle something like this. Well, its under 50cc, but goes faster than 35.

Greg

p.s. The company I work for would love to sub-contract components on a project like this.
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
ajay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
When we get to $3.00 a gallon gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGS
When we get to $3.00 a gallon gas, this thing probably will take off.

If the pricepoint is reasonable, its a seller. I'd love to see a nation of scooters!

Two concerns: Liability from having no noise. Someone might own the company after running down a couple of pedestrians. Maybe play a recording of a harley...
Also, I wonder about registration, I doubt many states are set up to handle something like this. Well, its under 50cc, but goes faster than 35.

Greg

p.s. The company I work for would love to sub-contract components on a project like this.

Here in Philadelphia it is already over $3.00 - $3.09 for regular this morning!
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
RandomGS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay
Here in Philadelphia it is already over $3.00 - $3.09 for regular this morning!

Time for a Scooter!!!

(Although, the Schukill (sp.?) Expressway might be a challenge)
RandomGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #13
mr openroad OP
Target Fixated

after seeing the big oil companies latest profits I am seriously considering it! at this point I do not want to give those bastards any more money than I have to.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
I'm hoping to rehab myself enough to get back on the scooter. I really miss 85mpg. Once I got into the habit of $12/month for fuel/oil, it got addictive.

As demand increases for cool scoots, hybrids, electrics etc. we'll see more interesting options come to the US. It's a win-win for people to take a look at alternatives. What's on the menu right now may not attract people beyond the early adopters but if we let people know that we're willing to look at new stuff, it'll come our way. Right now the US scooter market is tiny compared to the rest of the world so we're only seeing "safe bets" for the market. I hope that changes.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
haydenwest
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Vectrix Electric Video

Looks like GroovyGreen.com got the scoop on riding one of these things--at least in video. Check out their video preview over at:

http://www.groovygreen.com/index.php...=274&Itemid=57
haydenwest is offline   Reply With Quote