User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
wanderingwaldo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Newbie looking at a Stella, a few technical questions

I'm looking at a Stella as my first bike/scooter.

I'm already planning on taking the basic safety course before I even look at it in person (I know if I go to see it, it will be hard to not have it follow me home).

I'd like to be as visible as possible on the road so I was thinking about putting some of these on my mirrors:

http://store.yahoo.com/ledsupply/led...inky-leds.html

and getting LED lights for the headlamp, tail-lights, and turn-signals, in addition to the normal array of reflectives. Are there any below that will work in a Stella:

http://www.customdynamics.com/

Also I've been thinking that after the warranty was up on the engine I might want to get a Sito+ exhaust (higher torque would be more important to me as I am about 265lbs), other than needing to adjust the jetting are there any other concerns/dangers associated with an expansion pipe? I don't want to do any performance mods that will greatly effect reliability.
wanderingwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,230
When most people consider an "expansion pipe" they are looking at the Jim Lomas or similar designs. They're noisy as hell--mine sounds like a 250cc motorcrosser and while I love the peaky power I am going to the Sito Plus to keep my neighbors from shooting me. I also have the Pinasco 177 kit and Dellorto 24G. Gas mileage sucks.

I would highly recommend starting with the Sito + and perhaps a Uni filter.

www.stellaspeed.com will have plenty of info on that setup.

There are several places making halogen and LED conversion kits for the Stella. So far nothing bad reported. Remember that your tail light is set REALLY low on that bike, so even with it being brighter, it's going to be hard to see. I use an Icon Mil-Spec vest to get some bright stuff up higher on me.

You'll love the bike. It's rugged, fun, cool, easy to work on. All your MSF stuff will transfer nicely...you'll just get used to the smaller wheels and turning radius. Some people freak out over the feeling of weight on one side of the bike due to the engine--that goes away after the first time or two you ride it.

The only thing I haven't liked is the stock seat, so I bought an old Rallye seat frame (lots of springs) and cover. When I get around to putting that together I'll post pics. To be honest the little bike needs nothing other than improved lighting. The rest is the fun of customizing it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
wanderingwaldo OP
n00b

soo...

So are there any real downsides to a pipe mod? anything to be leary of or watch out for?

Do you know what size the taillights are in the Stella (would be a big help for picking out the LED's, or could you point me in the direction of some that you know will work?

Thanks for the help.
wanderingwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Lochsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I haven't heard anybody having negative experiences with the Sito + upgrade. I just put one on my stella and I love it. Took me about 30 mins to take off the old pipe, install the new one, and change the main jet.

Just get a 98, 99, and 100 main jet along with it....one of those should be just right. Do a search on stella speed and you will get a ton of posts on the sito upgrade.
Lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingwaldo
So are there any real downsides to a pipe mod? anything to be leary of or watch out for?

Do you know what size the taillights are in the Stella (would be a big help for picking out the LED's, or could you point me in the direction of some that you know will work?

Thanks for the help.
I could point you to a few things regarding pipes and the lighting, but I really think your best source of information on the topics in general will be stellaspeed. After getting info there (same deal--use the search function) then drop back in here and a few of us here can give you individual information on the mods we've done. But the bigger stella community is at www.stellaspeed.com.

I'm not trying to run you off or say there isn't any expertise here...there's just a huge herd o' Stella over there with more data points to draw upon.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
How do the Stellas stack up against the Vespa PX150 or the vintage 150s?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Consider it a brand new PX150 with reed valves and I think the steel body is a bit thicker aka heavier
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
Lochsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat280
Consider it a brand new PX150 with reed valves and I think the steel body is a bit thicker aka heavier
And $1000+ less......don't forget that
Lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
vs. PX150:
Reed valve engine
Bitubo shocks
heavier guage steel
different grips
thinner paint (though it has gotten better...)

The advice I got from SCOMO and Scooteworks as well as other owners of both the Vespas and Stellas was it was easer to "get your feet wet" with a Stella and then dive into a restoration project. The stella is a daily driver right out of the box (well, with a Sito Plus...) and you can tinker because you want to not because you need to.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
is the reed valve engine a positive?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
is the reed valve engine a positive?
Yup. Mo' horsepower.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Oh and don't forget front disc instead of drums
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Stella Scooter

I am also considering a new Stella. However, the website does not say where it is manuafactured. Also, would it be suitable for a sidecar? Would the quality be close to a Vespa PX150?
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343
I am also considering a new Stella. However, the website does not say where it is manuafactured.
It is built in India by LML. It is sold in the US as the Stella, and in NZ as the Belladonna. In india it's known as the "Star" (stella...get it?).

LML originally built Vespas under license.

Quote:
Also, would it be suitable for a sidecar?
Yes. It won't go as fast of course so don't expect to haul ass on it once you've added it. The cozy sidecar is a popular combo.

Quote:
Would the quality be close to a Vespa PX150?
The paint is generally thinner. The reed valve engine is stronger, it's got heavier guage steel, bitubo shocks (see earlier posts). With few exceptions the entire PX catalog will bolt on.

go to www.stellaspeed.com for more information.

go to www.scooterworks.com and order their free catalog for a good look at what bolts on in addition to it being a fine catalog to drool on.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
wanderingwaldo OP
n00b

Oh yeah, I did start this thread

Sorry I disappeared, thanks for all the input everyone. In the end I will wait at least a year/5k before upgrading to get used to a scooter period and not void the warranty. . . after that I might feel a bit more adventuresome.