User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #76
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,364
I saw this post on Garmin's blog. I hope this is not all they are announcing at Macworld.

Quote:
Good news for Mac users who also use the Forerunner or Edge. Garmin Training Center is now compatible with Mac! If you'll be at Macworld next week, make sure you stop by our booth to pick up a free Training Center software CD. If you're not planning to be in San Francisco, visit our website in late January and you'll be able to download the software for free.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #77
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 929

Here's another Garmin OSX tidbit posted on the Macworld news page today:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...rmin/index.php

Sounds like Mapsource for the Mac continues to exist as vaporware for the near future.

Dave
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #78
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin
Sounds like Mapsource for the Mac continues to exist as vaporware for the near future.
And for the last two years, as they had made the same announcement as to expected compatibility in 2005 and 2006.

But at the very least, I'm beating a stumbling horse.

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #79
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Just a quick update.

The Final Release Version of Parallels was recently posted. I have installed it and my GPS, shared folder and internet connection are all working. Now if they can support USB 2.0 I will be very happy.

Another update, Parallels has released a couple more betas, they are supposed to support USB 2.0. I tried out the Parallels beta 3 last night. It uploads faster by about 25-30% for the same map set vs the first Parallels. So it is getting better and faster.

I am about to buy a 2GB card, so hopefully I can upload all of North America and not worry about it again. Anybody want to buy a 1GB micro SD card?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #80
patch29
Surly Rider

The wait continues, at least they are working on it.

Quote:
Chet's Corner: Macworld Expo

Jan 16, 2007 3:58:00 PM

As many of you know, Garmin recently attended the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. For my post today I just wanted to reiterate what our stance is on Mac support at this time.

We started shipping our Mac-compatible version of Training Center at the Expo. This will be available for download on the Garmin website by the end of this month. This product will be compatible with our Forerunner 205/305 and Edge 205/305 units.

Our next step are Mac-compatible versions of our WebUpdater software that is used to updated unit firmware and the POI Loader application for Custom POI's. Both of these software programs will be available to download in Q1 of this year.

This is only the beginning. We are not going to stop working on reaching full compatibility for all of our software titles. It has taken longer than we thought it would but we are just as committed now as we were when we started this last year. Thanks for your patience.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #81
Crikey
Kn0by n00bY

Oddometer: 155
maybe they are just waiting for all non-intel macs to die of old age - that way they don't have to get off their fat lazy cheeks to write a bit of code.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #82
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

I can't help it

That blog entry is such bullshit. The fact is that Garmin hasn't come up with Mac support, despite promising it for over two years. They aren't even honest enough to post dissenting/disappointed blog entries. I've commented twice (much nicer tone than this, of course) and neither of them have been "approved" and posted. If the customer support wasn't so good on the hardware and if Garmin route files weren't the defacto standard for ADVriders and other acquaintances of mine, I'd have either done without, or gone with a different brand.

And once again...

Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #83
mx125
Knob from Canada

Oddometer: 443
Can I ask a really basic question?

Is porting Mac software to intel based macs (universal binary??)MUCH easier than transferring to pre-intel code?

And in either case . .is it more of a complicated "conversion process" . .or really just rewriting the windows software from scratch?
mx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #84
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57
That blog entry is such bullshit. The fact is that Garmin hasn't come up with Mac support, despite promising it for over two years. They aren't even honest enough to post dissenting/disappointed blog entries. I've commented twice (much nicer tone than this, of course) and neither of them have been "approved" and posted. If the customer support wasn't so good on the hardware and if Garmin route files weren't the defacto standard for ADVriders and other acquaintances of mine, I'd have either done without, or gone with a different brand.

And once again...

My posts to that BS blog haven't ever made it on their either. Just the kiss-ass: "I'm so excited you are coiming to Mac"

Garmin makes great GPS products they just need to come clean instead of building ill will by bullshitting us forever.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #85
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,268
A possible reason for the delay might be Garmin's focus on get their software to run under Vista. I hear that has been a lot more difficult than previously believed.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #86
violagal
on the red bike...

Oddometer: 143
I recently had to borrow a friend's PC to get MapSource maps installed on my new 276c. The installer is a total POS, and the process took all afternoon -- something I'm not used to as a Mac owner, where things like this rarely take more than half an hour.

Perhaps this is also the reason it's taking them a while to port to Mac. They're not just starting out with Windows code, they're starting out with crappy Windows code, and they probably have one guy working on the project (esp. considering the above comment about Windows Vista).

I also emailed the Garmin tech support to offer my services as a beta tester, and got a similar response as other people. They said "We hope to have something brewing by middle of this year of the Mapsource software." BREWING? I should hope it's fully cooked by then !!
violagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #87
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgulledge
A possible reason for the delay might be Garmin's focus on get their software to run under Vista. I hear that has been a lot more difficult than previously believed.
With respect:

GMAFB!

Vista wasn't even a beta glimmer in someone's eye when Garmin said they had Mac compatibility on the horizon. If they've put us even farther onto the back burner for Vista efforts then they really suck.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #88
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,820
For as long as I've played with GPS (III), and owned Macs (Macintosh Portable), I used a software called GPSy. It works with Delorme products, and it was pretty rudimentary. I don't know how it works for off road MC-ing. The biggest reason I bought a PC was to utilize other mapping softwares.
I just took a bit of a cruise around their site and it may be a bit more sophisticated than it once was

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #89
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
I too am waiting for the Mac/Garmin software.
I used bootcamp and have XP on a partition on my Macbook, Mapsource, Webupdate, and the POI program work just fine.
I just received a new StreetPilot 2820 (replacing my Quest) and have been playing around with it. (the 2820 rocks!)
I've been using a jump drive to transfer tracks, poi's, etc. I download using safari to the 2820 using Mapsource in XP, but uploading music is different. I wanted to be able to do it right from OSX, not transfer the files twice, since XP doesn't see the "Macintosh HD".

I'm not sure if it's been posted, but I did find a way to get OSX to see the Garmin.
If you hold down "option" like you would to change your startup disk, and as soon as it starts to boot up, plug in the USB cable to the (powered up)Garmin.
At this time the Mac should display the 2 available startup drives, and the Garmin is asking if you want it to be in Garmin mode or mass storage.
Click on the OSX drive and Mass Storage at the same time.
OSX boots up and the "Garmin" drive shows up on the desktop.

I thought I'd share this little discovery, sorry if it's a repost, but hey, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Now if I could just get Google Earth to see the 2820.....My Mac never "sees" the Garmin unless I do this.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #90
MTRREF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Another update, Parallels has released a couple more betas, they are supposed to support USB 2.0. I tried out the Parallels beta 3 last night. It uploads faster by about 25-30% for the same map set vs the first Parallels. So it is getting better and faster.

I am about to buy a 2GB card, so hopefully I can upload all of North America and not worry about it again. Anybody want to buy a 1GB micro SD card?
I don't think the USB 2.0 will help; I'm pretty sure that Garmin is still using older USB on most of their machines. I'm absolutely sure that is true on my 60Cx. A 1.5 gig download takes more than an hour.

Jim
R1200RT
MTRREF is offline   Reply With Quote