Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Willyz OP
Grasshoppa.....

Oddometer: 333
OK, so tell me EXACTLY how to hop-up my Vento?!!

Backround: I have had an 02 Vino for a few years now.(traded a friend a chair for it, long story)

Derestricted the exhaust and removed the spacer from the CVT pulley. Those 2 things allow it to run up to 35 or so pretty quickly and then creep on up to a top speed of 43 or so.

Recently I've come into possession of an 06 Vento Triton GT5. The exhaust actually sounds like it may be a real expansion chamber.

Anyway a buddy came over last night and we had the ScootNationals in front of my house. The Vino LEAPS off the line compared to the Triton. The Vino pulls about 20 feet ahead almost immediately but the Vento will EVENTUALLY reel the Vino in, but it takes 3 or 4 blocks.

The way the Vino makes power is much better than the Vento. The Vino feels snappy from the get-go, the Vento takes a bit to get going and doesn't really get going that much faster in the long run.

I know there are a million hop up kits (variators, clutch springs, carbs etc.) but when I look at all the forums the info comes off as slightly vague with regards to the hot set-up.

I know there are several very knowledgeable folks here with lots of 2 stroke and even Vento experience.(Photog, DoctorIt)

Anybody care to provide me with the ADV upgrade path of choice? I would prefer to keep the stock cylinder for now.

BK
Little Apple
Willyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
I'm at work(sucks) so I can't get into it completely but my bet is gonna be on a variator weight tweek, maybe clutch springs--not expensive, just a bit of trial and error. I'll see what I can get off the vento boards later when I get home.

My stock Zip R3i would outrun the new GT5 with my heavyfatass on the Zip up until 30 or so. I think they've got 'em set up for high end...but in traffic I sorta like staying ahead of the bumpers behind me.

anyone else...feel free to jump in...

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Willyz OP
Grasshoppa.....

This may be a stupid question..

Can you change the weight on the stock variator or do you have to get an aftermarket one and then start experimenting?

I was also wondering if the Vino pulled the Triton so easily due to its 10" wheels versus the 12s on the Vento.

Has anyone screwed with removing the "ABS" pressure modulator on the front disc of these things. I expected it to be much stonger.

BK
Little Apple
Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Lochsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Go to Provo Scooter forum page.........just about everyone in there has a 50cc scoot. Many folks with triton's and zip's. Very helpful.

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/index.php

Have fun!
Lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Just so you're familiar with how the CVT works and how the weight swap works:

Provo, as Lochsa mentioned:
http://www.provoscooter.com/shop/howtotecnovar.php - good primer on the tecnovariator

Beedspeed - info on fitment, plus an overview:
http://beedspeed.com/html-pages/HowT...lerWeights.htm

Specific variator installation on the Vento:
http://www.myvento.net/index.php?pag...e=article&k=16

Sounds like your scoot needs lighter weights. That last link mentions it.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
Willyz OP
Grasshoppa.....

Thanks Photog...

Now I'm sitting here looking at the Malossi catalog......

Hmmmmm.......

BK
Little Apple
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Willyz OP
Grasshoppa.....

So what I was hoping for was...

Something along the lines of:

1. Pull the carb and install a XXX jet.
2. Get a xxxx variator model #xxxx and install it with xxx springs.
3. Thing about an xxx piston kit......

You guys are going to make me WORK???

The carb on the Vino is much smoother than the Triton. It feels pretty much spot on while the Triton sputters and takes a bit more to start. The Vino fires immediately every time.

Jetting or new carb?

BK
Little Apple
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyz
Something along the lines of:

1. Pull the carb and install a XXX jet.
2. Get a xxxx variator model #xxxx and install it with xxx springs.
3. Thing about an xxx piston kit......

You guys are going to make me WORK???

The carb on the Vino is much smoother than the Triton. It feels pretty much spot on while the Triton sputters and takes a bit more to start. The Vino fires immediately every time.

Jetting or new carb?

BK
Little Apple
Might just need a tweak.

All I ever had to do was adjust the idle on mine.

Something's not right, though, that's for sure. The vento has the minarelli engine and whatever cheapo carb combo but it works well. I think that if you want to go ahead and ditch what you've got that you oughta go ahead and get the a 70cc kit that's already been sorted out. Most of the time the carb is straight forward (bolt it on, ballpark it, tweak as you go) but the variator will require a bit of trial and error based on your weight and terrain.

WARNING: once you start doing upgrades you may as well also consider crack, meth, whatever as an alternative that's possibly cheaper. I have obsessed over another 2.3 mph.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Might just need a tweak.

All I ever had to do was adjust the idle on mine.

Something's not right, though, that's for sure. The vento has the minarelli engine and whatever cheapo carb combo but it works well. I think that if you want to go ahead and ditch what you've got that you oughta go ahead and get the a 70cc kit that's already been sorted out. Most of the time the carb is straight forward (bolt it on, ballpark it, tweak as you go) but the variator will require a bit of trial and error based on your weight and terrain.

WARNING: once you start doing upgrades you may as well also consider crack, meth, whatever as an alternative that's possibly cheaper. I have obsessed over another 2.3 mph.
That's why I haven't brought myself to hop up the Zuma yet, I know once I get started it will never be enough.

I know if I get a pipe and variator I would be ordering a 70cc kit and carb the next week.