User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,153
Low594's KLX300R

I picked up this 1998 Kawasaki KLX300R from my Uncle, who I believe is the original owner!

Current Setup
Ergonomics

-Seat Concepts seat (original owner)
-AlumiLite bars (original owner)
-IMS wide pegs (original owner)
-ProGrip grips (original owner)
-Trackside handguards (original owner)

Frame & Bodywork
-Powdercoated frame(grey) (original owner)
-Acerbis 3.4gallon tank (original owner)
-Baja Designs headlight (original owner)

Engine & Trans
-rebuilt engine & trans (original owner)
-airbox lid removed (original owner)

Suspension
-tuned for 190lbs rider (original owner)
-Metzeler D597 (original owner)

Low594 screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:23 PM
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

It came with a number of upgrades and a couple boxes of spares.
-recently rebuilt engine/trans
-powdercoated frame
-suspension tuned for 190lbs rider(Im 160, so we'll see how it works out)
-Acerbis gastank
-IMS footpegs
-Trailtech Vapor
-Seat Concepts seat
-Baja Designs headlight
-Alumilite bars (vintage '98)
-brake master cyl w/brakelight switch
-rear brake switch

My Uncle had started getting it ready to be plated and gave me the contact info for someone who says it wont be a problem to get a Cali plate for it. So I am going ahead and going to try to get a plate on this beast, if not I still have an awesome dirt toy to get my skills up!

I started collecting parts to finish off the dualsport conversion and to make it a little more interesting.
-Maier side covers (KLX green)
-Tusk DS conversion kit
-UFO Fork Sliders(black '06 KX250)(turns out these don't fit after all)
-front wheel w/Excel/Tasago rim

I started installing the Tusk DS kit tonight afterwork, but also modded the stock taillight. The stock taillight was designed as a single filament for US and dual filament for Japan & Europe according to the bulb markings on the inside. So I got a metal housing for a 1157 bulb to replace the housing for the 1156 bulb. And to improve the light output, I used aluminum tape for Air Conditioning ducts to create a reflective surface inside. Might as well have the bulb as bright as possible, right?

Low594 screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:14 PM
Old 03-25-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
sledrydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Enjoy. Riding buddy of mine has the same bike '04. His came plated but without brake light or turn signals. He added signals and the 2 stage brake light. Do your turn signals interupt/flash? Or are you manually switching them. Seems that my buddy had a issue with that (no flasher onboard is my guess?). Interested in your procedure.
sledrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:14 AM   #4
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,688
Nice find,
This was one of the dream bikes I was looking for to have a Rally lite conversion.

Looking forward to see what other things will be done to the bike
Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 120
Nice looking bike! I have a pretty stock '07 model. VERY fun on the dirt since it's so light weight! I had a really nice '05 XR250R street plated at the same time, actually preferred the 300 and gave the XR250R to my oldest kid. Mine isn't street plated (yet).

Good luck with getting the plates, hope it works out. Either way you will have a blast. A 300cc four stroke dirt bike is nearly ideal for someone my size and I have a real riot every time I take it out in the woods!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledrydr View Post
Enjoy. Riding buddy of mine has the same bike '04. His came plated but without brake light or turn signals. He added signals and the 2 stage brake light. Do your turn signals interupt/flash? Or are you manually switching them. Seems that my buddy had a issue with that (no flasher onboard is my guess?). Interested in your procedure.
Until I get the plate I am leaving the original charging system as the factory low wattage AC system, that will run the headlight. The Tusk DS conversion runs as a secondary electrical system off a small NiCad battery pack for the tail/brakelight and turnsignals, which runs on LEDs with a flasher unit.
If I get the plate, I will likely get a DC Rectifier & Stator rewind and merge the Tusk kit to run off the charging system.
If no plate, I will likely remove the Tusk kit. Then have the Stator rewound so I can run a big headlight and leave it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Nice find,
This was one of the dream bikes I was looking for to have a Rally lite conversion.

Looking forward to see what other things will be done to the bike
Ive been playing with the idea of a 640AdventureR style Rallye fairing, but will probably not go that big. Stay tuned for a very distinctive Dirty Rat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
Nice looking bike! I have a pretty stock '07 model. VERY fun on the dirt since it's so light weight! I had a really nice '05 XR250R street plated at the same time, actually preferred the 300 and gave the XR250R to my oldest kid. Mine isn't street plated (yet).

Good luck with getting the plates, hope it works out. Either way you will have a blast. A 300cc four stroke dirt bike is nearly ideal for someone my size and I have a real riot every time I take it out in the woods!

Im itching to get out and see what this thing is capable of, probably much more than I am! A clubmate is about to buy a CRF450X and we are planning to hit the local parks to help another clubmate (YZ400) train for the Mystery250 in June. Im only 5'7" and 160lbs, so this bike will probably fly!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 AM   #7
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Ive been playing with the idea of a 640AdventureR style Rallye fairing, but will probably not go that big. Stay tuned for a very distinctive Dirty Rat!
I like the look of Nifontova's bike

I like it cause it moves out of the usual KTM copied face fairing. I am trying at the moment to think and create sth unique with Michael from Rally Raid Engineering for my 640, so looking for other options is always welcome
Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,851
I hate to be a downer type, but legally speaking, that bike is not capable of being street licensed in Commiefornia. You can gargle search the history of it all, but in short, DMV is not supposed to issue street plates for dirt only bikes after the year 2005. So if you know a guy who knows a guy that can get it done, (which does happen, but is not legal) then good on you. Just don't count on it.

Also, it sounds like your a novice dirt guy. These are good solid play bikes, but don't expect them to keep up with a modern MX type bike and don't expect to bust out some stadium triple jumps on them, they aren't capable of that. The suspension is rather primitive by modern standards, which will limit your speeds and abilities to keep up with your buddies. Also, another note of caution. These engines make very modest horsepower and do not have a rev limiter. So you can over-rev them and scatter the engine, which may be why it has a rebuilt engine. Otherwise, these engines are rugged and durable.

For the record, I've owned 3 of these bikes and really like them, but they have their place in the food chain. If ridden within their limitations, they are wonderful little bikes.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #9
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I like the look of Nifontova's bike

I like it cause it moves out of the usual KTM copied face fairing. I am trying at the moment to think and create sth unique with Michael from Rally Raid Engineering for my 640, so looking for other options is always welcome
That does look cool! What I want to know is, which Star Wars film is that from and is that a Death Star rising behind him??
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #10
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I hate to be a downer type, but legally speaking, that bike is not capable of being street licensed in Commiefornia. You can gargle search the history of it all, but in short, DMV is not supposed to issue street plates for dirt only bikes after the year 2005. So if you know a guy who knows a guy that can get it done, (which does happen, but is not legal) then good on you. Just don't count on it.
Thanks for the advice, I guess you missed this part where I said pretty much the same thing!
Quote:
My Uncle had started getting it ready to be plated and gave me the contact info for someone who says it wont be a problem to get a Cali plate for it. So I am going ahead and going to try to get a plate on this beast, if not I still have an awesome dirt toy to get my skills up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Also, it sounds like your a novice dirt guy. These are good solid play bikes, but don't expect them to keep up with a modern MX type bike and don't expect to bust out some stadium triple jumps on them, they aren't capable of that. The suspension is rather primitive by modern standards, which will limit your speeds and abilities to keep up with your buddies. Also, another note of caution. These engines make very modest horsepower and do not have a rev limiter. So you can over-rev them and scatter the engine, which may be why it has a rebuilt engine. Otherwise, these engines are rugged and durable.

For the record, I've owned 3 of these bikes and really like them, but they have their place in the food chain. If ridden within their limitations, they are wonderful little bikes.
Yes, I dont have alot of hours or miles in the dirt, which is why I got the bike, but Ive ridden dirt a fair number of times in the last 22 years of solid riding. I am too broken and honestly never really got into big jumps. I purposely sought out an enduro and have no ideas of the 17 yr old bike being a modern SuperCross bike! My whole reasoning for this bike is:
1) have fun riding in the woods/desert with good friends, 2) develop more skills 3)travel at least 1/2 of the TAT
I believe I bought the right bike for a fair price and what I want it for. Its alot better suited than my old '83 Yamaha IT175.

The motor was rebuilt, because my uncle is a retired mechanic, a gearhead and cant help but rebuild motors out of boredom!
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #11
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Quote:
Im only 5'7" and 160lbs, so this bike will probably fly!
Bro, I am 5-8 and about 180 lbs, the bike will fit you GREAT.

Some reference was made to inadequate suspension... I see gray hair in the original posting so we are of about the same age and the dirt bikes we grew up on were air-head two smokers with tires for the suspension!!!

Anything with disc brakes and 10+ inches of travel feels "modern" to me considering my rather humble beginnings in off road riding (i.e. primitive lol)

Few people will argue that a late model XR250R is a very good bike, especially for guys our size. I kept the KLX300R over the XR250R. The XR would perform better over the rough stuff, but the KLX just felt like a generally better built bike IMHO.

I still rip it up once in a while (on different bikes) but for "old fart" dirt bike riding, just getting out and enjoying the day, but having the power to tackle moderate hill climbs and rough single track (at lower speeds) I think it's a wonderful little bike.

I have an '04 KLX400SR (DRZ400S in green) and it feels like a big fat pig once you hit even slightly technical stuff, compared to the smaller brother. The 300 is waaaaay more fun in the dirt, the 400 is waaaaay more fun to dual sport.

You will have fun!

I quit a certain Japanese V-Twin forum as some of the guys were bitching about swinging a leg over the 26" tall seat at "40 years old" so it's good to see someone my age still riding dirt bikes

By the way... if that's your dad in the picture and not you, sorry in advance
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #12
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Quote:
That does look cool! What I want to know is, which Star Wars film is that from and is that a Death Star rising behind him??
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #13
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
Bro, I am 5-8 and about 180 lbs, the bike will fit you GREAT.

Some reference was made to inadequate suspension... I see gray hair in the original posting so we are of about the same age and the dirt bikes we grew up on were air-head two smokers with tires for the suspension!!!

Anything with disc brakes and 10+ inches of travel feels "modern" to me considering my rather humble beginnings in off road riding (i.e. primitive lol)

Few people will argue that a late model XR250R is a very good bike, especially for guys our size. I kept the KLX300R over the XR250R. The XR would perform better over the rough stuff, but the KLX just felt like a generally better built bike IMHO.

I still rip it up once in a while (on different bikes) but for "old fart" dirt bike riding, just getting out and enjoying the day, but having the power to tackle moderate hill climbs and rough single track (at lower speeds) I think it's a wonderful little bike.

I have an '04 KLX400SR (DRZ400S in green) and it feels like a big fat pig once you hit even slightly technical stuff, compared to the smaller brother. The 300 is waaaaay more fun in the dirt, the 400 is waaaaay more fun to dual sport.

You will have fun!

I quit a certain Japanese V-Twin forum as some of the guys were bitching about swinging a leg over the 26" tall seat at "40 years old" so it's good to see someone my age still riding dirt bikes

By the way... if that's your dad in the picture and not you, sorry in advance
I hear what you are saying, quite well, but yes, that's my Dad! At 41, I think I still do fairly well, but somedays its a struggle!
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #14
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, quite well, but yes, that's my Dad! At 41, I think I still do fairly well, but somedays its a struggle!

Have fun you whipper-snapper

We are only about 10 years apart anyways

Get out there and ride

The IT175 with a 225 bike bore kit was one of my dream bikes back in the day, but the KLX will feel like a Dirtallac compared to it

Btw I nearly fell off my shop stool with the Death Star shit... too funny!