ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #22516
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Anybody know of a reason not to run a 13tooth front sprocket? I've finally found one that fits.

13/41 = wheelies
Increased wear on chain and sprocket.

For maximum life I would stick with a 15 or 16t and a larger rear sprocket.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #22517
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Da Bronx, NYC
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
I tighten holding plate bolts....keeping in mind previous bikes with their monster torque values. Not the f*cking case on this DR650. Snapped the head off one of the bolts like the damn thing was made of clay. That's what i get for wingin' it. No tellin what kind stress i put on the other two bolts. I can't believe how easy it was to destroy that damn bolt. I don't have the tools to fix this shit, so I'm gonna ride it to a trusted shop. Someone shoot me if riding on two countersprocket bolts is a bad idea.

What can i look forward to on this freakin deal? They're gonna have to drill-out that bolt...so new bolt...new sprocket...what about that plate?

Also, what IS the deal with the 14T sprocket. I read several "went on without a hitch...kept the stock chain." Yeah, I'm gonna do some more searchin, but some feedback would be appreciated.

To Procycle....I've got my eye on yer chain/sprocket sets. Gonna send some questions yer way, but one up front. 14T front, 46T rear...any mods required to get this to fit....chain guide, chain buffer...?

I have a 14T, 15T and 16T for my front I keep handy depending on what terrain I'm going to ride. I still have the stock chain and use the retaining clip that came with the 14T I got from Jesse @ Kientech.
I can send you a new clip (I bought a few) if you want to no longer use the stock retainer. I have yet to read of any problems encountered using the retaining clips. You just snap it on the shaft and your done. It will save you the cost of going to the dealer and paying for work that isnt needed. I leave the front sprocket cover off since I change the sprocket often. PM me if you want me to drop you a clip in the mail tomorrow.
__________________
Steve
07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 04 XT225
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #22518
Watson
Studly Adventurer
 
Watson's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Grayson, GA
Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
I have a 14T, 15T and 16T for my front I keep handy depending on what terrain I'm going to ride. I still have the stock chain and use the retaining clip that came with the 14T I got from Jesse @ Kientech.
I can send you a new clip (I bought a few) if you want to no longer use the stock retainer. I have yet to read of any problems encountered using the retaining clips. You just snap it on the shaft and your done. It will save you the cost of going to the dealer and paying for work that isnt needed. I leave the front sprocket cover off since I change the sprocket often. PM me if you want me to drop you a clip in the mail tomorrow.
Cool, dude! Sending PM now. Thanks a ton!

...and yer yet another example of the many posts i've read where the stock chain working fine with a 14T. I just don't get it...I wrapped that sprocket with the loosened chain, and one or two rollers would always sit on top of the sprocket teeth. Just didn't seemed right...I guess I should've tightened the chain to see if that woulda solved my concern....but once I saw that chain lookin all jacked-up on the sprocket, i said forget it.

Watson screwed with this post 04-12-2009 at 05:49 PM
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #22519
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Increased wear on chain and sprocket.

For maximum life I would stick with a 15 or 16t and a larger rear sprocket.
chain is half shot and I already have the 41 rear on and I will go to 14/44 (super close to the same ratio)
when this drive is shot, but for now I will run 13/41. I was wondering if the tight radius would rub something on the case or something. Or maybe the chain rubbed the swingarm too much as it comes onto the 13 tooth sprocket. It looks pretty good.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #22520
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Da Bronx, NYC
Oddometer: 3,800
13T front

Rusty, where did you find one? I dont think I've seen one listed anywhere. Is it a 525 or a 520?
__________________
Steve
07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 04 XT225
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #22521
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Rusty, where did you find one? I dont think I've seen one listed anywhere. Is it a 525 or a 520?
520 It is a 31713 Sunstar It fits a 1980 KDX 250 and others. You have to run it with a clip like the ones Jesse sells, because it doesn't have the tapped holes for the plate. It also has some extra material (in thickness) so the load is spread out more on the shaft. I worry about that because the sprocket "floats " on the shaft when you use the clip. I put it on and spun the rear wheel in both directions to make sure it doesn't hit the clip when running.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #22522
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer
 
CaptTurbo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Ft Myers
Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee
I don't think I could ever bring the front end up in second... Even with the FCR and exhaust. The only way it will go up in first is between 10-15 mph. What speed to you bring it up in sencond?
Kurlee, I just crank it though first and shift when it's time for the next gear. I'm sure it helps that I move my robust arse back in the seat if I want the front wheel lift. There are a few tricks you can choose if you are having problems getting her to come up with just twist alone (besides clutching it up).

You can yank it up or do a double throttle twist. What that does is load and unload the forks and up it will come. This double twist and yank will even work with the Safari tank filled. If the tank is low twist alone along with sliding back in the seat will loft her up.

Wheelies are lots of fun but wear the gear when you are practicing. Lord knows I looped out a lot of bikes when I was young and learning.
__________________
"No Man's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session." --American lawyer, editor, politician, Judge Gideon Tucker (1826-1899)
CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #22523
Django Loco
Banned
 
Django Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: California
Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Anybody know of a reason not to run a 13tooth front sprocket? I've finally found one that fits.

13/41 = wheelies
It will probably be OK. But you may be reaching the point where the chain is forced to take a pretty sharp U turn! The 13 is pretty small. With a 520 you'd likely be OK, but I'm not sure with the hunkier bigger shouldered 525. Have a close look at it and see what you think. Worst to happen would be premature
chain/sprocket wear. Looked for hooking early on the countershaft.

I've gone too far on several enduro bikes (race bikes)and this was the result.
But hey, we need more Beta testers ... so go for it and please report back ...
and where the HELL did you find a 13T sprocket! I want one!!!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #22524
Buckaroo Banzai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Knoxville tn
Oddometer: 151
13t cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
520 It is a 31713 Sunstar It fits a 1980 KDX 250 and others. You have to run it with a clip like the ones Jesse sells, because it doesn't have the tapped holes for the plate. It also has some extra material (in thickness) so the load is spread out more on the shaft. I worry about that because the sprocket "floats " on the shaft when you use the clip. I put it on and spun the rear wheel in both directions to make sure it doesn't hit the clip when running.
I got a 13t cs from procycle. The one Jeff sent me has holes in it to bolt to the plate where you don't need the clip. Jeff sent me the counter shaft with a plate that will fit it. It works like a charm. The counter shaft is for a 520 chain but will work with the 525, which is what I'm running. If you keep the stock rear sproket it will still let you run speeds fast enought for the interstate.
__________________
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.... Buckaroo Banzai
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #22525
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
I got a 13t cs from procycle. The one Jeff sent me has holes in it to bolt to the plate where you don't need the clip. Jeff sent me the counter shaft with a plate that will fit it. It works like a charm. The counter shaft is for a 520 chain but will work with the 525, which is what I'm running. If you keep the stock rear sproket it will still let you run speeds fast enought for the interstate.
Great news. Thanks. I rode some very technical stuff last week and was wishing for lower gearing. Didn't know ProCycle had them. I just went to the dealer with my old sprocket and said see if you can find something with the same spline in a 13-520.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #22526
achesley
Old Motorcyclist
 
achesley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Jennings, Louisiana
Oddometer: 3,344
Stubborn Beads

Might try leaving a bit of air in the tire. Used to have to do that with ATV tires. Helps keep the bead breaker at the rim instead of sliding to the outside of the tire.
__________________

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #22527
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
To Procycle....I've got my eye on yer chain/sprocket sets. Gonna send some questions yer way, but one up front. 14T front, 46T rear...any mods required to get this to fit....chain guide, chain buffer...?
No mods required but you do need a longer chain.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #22528
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee
I don't think I could ever bring the front end up in second... Even with the FCR and exhaust. The only way it will go up in first is between 10-15 mph. What speed to you bring it up in sencond?
If u have 15t/43 , or say 15t sprok. in front it's hard to pop a weelie on 2nd gear , u can pop the clutch plus a little muscle . But if u install 14t/43 or 44 in the back it will weelie in 2nd gear in heart beat . If u intall 13t sprok. in front u can lift it at the 3rd gear by sliding ur butt toward the back seat and popin' the clutch. (Small advice) Don't ever learn or get used to find the balancin' point once u pop a weelie always learn to keep ur right foot on the rear brakes .
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #22529
CanteenBoy
Slammin' the ol' Jammer
 
CanteenBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Oddometer: 169
Intiminator Review(first impressions)

Just installed the Intiminators...Installation was easy and quick. First impressions are mixed however. For those of you familiar with the 'brain' shock on specialized mountain bikes that are essentially unresponsive to rider input but compliant over rough terrain- this is what I was expecting, but not what I observed. The front end will still dive if I bounce on the pegs riding down a paved road...maybe not as much, but still not a big change. Standing still, I can grab the front brake and easily push up and down on the fork. Front end dive due to braking is still present. Their website notes that the front wheel will react faster to bumps, and this may be true, but I was only able to ride a short section of rooty dirt trail at low/med speed. Did not get to test it out on any washboard gravel roads, or hit any big whoops or chunky rocky ruts, etc. The small amount of preload now in the springs due to the intiminators was evident, and I think this is a good thing. I will add a full review once I get to spend a full day in the woods. I bought these with the 50% discount, and I'm still trying to determine if they were worth it even at that price.
More to come upon a thorough dirt thrashing.
CanteenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #22530
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco

The frickin' bead will not pop. Keep in mind, this is a TUBELESS tire run with a Tube. I never got a flat on the rear with this tire ... good thing. A road side repair would have been out of the question.


Any thoughts/experience?
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik.../detail/331543
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014