ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #29146
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Kennedy
If I can get a healthy 50hp out of the DR just by making it breathe a bit better and a bit more fuel it will make the bike better for what I want to use it for. So for me the compromise of power vs economy, Power wins.
A healthy 50hp?

Even the 725cc kit won't get there.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #29147
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,931
whats the most hp a dr650 has produced
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #29148
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
whats the most hp a dr650 has produced
BSR-1 over on TT claimed that his DR is the strongest, I think he got just over 50 RWHP. That's with a big bore kit though, I think 700cc?

The best 644cc DR I have seen belongs to a Swedish guy, he got 48 RWHP with bolt ons (cam, HC piston, full exhaust, TM40, etc).



LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #29149
Blake Kennedy
Tassie devil
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
A healthy 50hp?

Even the 725cc kit won't get there.
Crank HP guys
Husky has 53 Crank HP
__________________
If you dont go, you will never know.
Blake Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #29150
Off Limits
Thread killer
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,372
trippin 50hp. go buy a cr500! or get a 20hp nitrous kit!
__________________
We are not Assholes, we just see things the way they are! Selfish people live longer.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #29151
johnboy351
hooroo
 
johnboy351's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Wellington NZ
Oddometer: 23
Big thanks

A big thanks to Jessie and Janet at Kientech for there great customer service and fast dispatch. I ordered a sargent seat on the 6th and it arrived this morning thats 6 working days to the other side of the world!

If any one needs anything for there DR give these guys a call and they will sort you out .

Well I have a new bike now intimdators in the front Elka in the rear and the sargent on top it has totally transformed the ride.

I will post a ride report soon about the Elka I have ridden the bike a couple of times since the install and am still fine tuning it bt so far so good.

Chris in NZ
johnboy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #29152
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer
 
tjoseph's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: East West Virginia
Oddometer: 14,979
I agree . . .

Didn't mean to sound like a rant. And I definitely agree with you. If and when my bike gets to the point of needing a teardown, I'd definitely consider some power upgrades. I'd probably go along with a displacement upgrade too. I was addressing the question of what you should do first, or immediately, to the bike.

I think a lot of folks see the DR as something they should buy, and immediately start "improving," and that's what I was taking issue with. There seems to be a train of thought here that when you buy your DR, you should show up at the dealer to pick it up with a coping saw in hand to chop up the stock airbox, a different carburetor to bolt on, and a GSX-R muffler to bolt on, because those are "must do" mods that should be performed before you ever even ride the bike.

I'm a big believer in upgrading when things wear out. But as you know, the DR from the dealer is pretty good. A lot of them immediately get modded under the illusion that the rider is going to be so much faster, when most of those riders would be faster by just improving their skills and leaving the hacksaw at home.

Oops - rant, rant . . (g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph64
I can understand what you are saying to a point, but that almost reads like a soap box rant . I rode my bike with the engine almost completely stock for nearly 80,000km of touring in Eastern & Western Europe, Middle East, Central Asia, SE Asia, Australia and many trips to NW Africa. It has served me well as an inexpensive, quiet and reasonably economical touring bike. Other than the occasional trip to NW Africa this bikes extended touring days are over. The engine is showing its age. I hope to be able to pull the motor out for a rebuild at the end of winter and it will receive a forged piston, TM40, etc, while still trying to maintain a degree of decency in the area of noise.
Why? For the same reason many other people do... because I can and I want to. That is the only reason that matters worth a damn. If you are happy with your bike as it is then more power to you.

Cheers
tjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #29153
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
BSR-1 over on TT claimed that his DR is the strongest, I think he got just over 50 RWHP. That's with a big bore kit though, I think 700cc?
And not forgetting his head was gas flowed as well here
And thats why i got him to do mine

So mine with the 725 kit & Johns flowed head + webcam & FCR should piss 50BHP if i get it set up correct.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #29154
thealien
Not From Around Here
 
thealien's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: fremantle
Oddometer: 442
I think what you say is perfectly reasonable, however we live in a consumer society where we are conditioned into believing that more is supposedly better. I eschewed the Charlie and Ewan BavarianMoneyWaster route and went for a DR, it is a good (if you are sensitive,avert your eyes to the next word!) compromise. I wanted less and I got it!.

However, I still want less, much less - well less handlebar slap when I ride in soft sand so I suppose I wil have to spend more!
What is the collective wisdom on the best value for money steering damper for a DR fitted with a Safari tank? What should be considered or avoided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoseph
I was addressing the question of what you should do first, or immediately, to the bike.

I'm a big believer in upgrading when things wear out. But as you know, the DR from the dealer is pretty good. A lot of them immediately get modded under the illusion that the rider is going to be so much faster, when most of those riders would be faster by just improving their skills and leaving the hacksaw at home.

Oops - rant, rant . . (g)
__________________
DR650 to 725 to 780Motard
U400 (50% of a W800)
SCARABEO 50
thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #29155
Blake Kennedy
Tassie devil
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealien
I think what you say is perfectly reasonable, however we live in a consumer society where we are conditioned into believing that more is supposedly better. I eschewed the Charlie and Ewan BavarianMoneyWaster route and went for a DR, it is a good (if you are sensitive,avert your eyes to the next word!) compromise. I wanted less and I got it!.

However, I still want less, much less - well less handlebar slap when I ride in soft sand so I suppose I wil have to spend more!
What is the collective wisdom on the best value for money steering damper for a DR fitted with a Safari tank? What should be considered or avoided?
I had a GPR one on my gixxer and it was really good, rebuildable, adjustable and fitted very well and its a lot cheaper than a Ohlins one
__________________
If you dont go, you will never know.
Blake Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #29156
Ralph64
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoseph
Didn't mean to sound like a rant. And I definitely agree with you. If and when my bike gets to the point of needing a teardown, I'd definitely consider some power upgrades. I'd probably go along with a displacement upgrade too. I was addressing the question of what you should do first, or immediately, to the bike.

I think a lot of folks see the DR as something they should buy, and immediately start "improving," and that's what I was taking issue with. There seems to be a train of thought here that when you buy your DR, you should show up at the dealer to pick it up with a coping saw in hand to chop up the stock airbox, a different carburetor to bolt on, and a GSX-R muffler to bolt on, because those are "must do" mods that should be performed before you ever even ride the bike.

I'm a big believer in upgrading when things wear out. But as you know, the DR from the dealer is pretty good. A lot of them immediately get modded under the illusion that the rider is going to be so much faster, when most of those riders would be faster by just improving their skills and leaving the hacksaw at home.

Oops - rant, rant . . (g)
Okay, I understand a bit better now. English is not my first language and sometimes I get it sideways. You are probably right about the attitude towards the "must have" mods. There were a few posts and their recommendations that struck me as odd in light of the subject at the time.

Cheers
Ralph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #29157
Ralph64
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealien
However, I still want less, much less - well less handlebar slap when I ride in soft sand so I suppose I wil have to spend more!
What is the collective wisdom on the best value for money steering damper for a DR fitted with a Safari tank? What should be considered or avoided?
A steering damper is nice, but there is a trick to riding soft sand. Don't slow down and keep the front wheel up. Sand needs to be ridden aggressively. At speed the front wheel rides more on top instead of pushing through the sand which tries to grab the wheel.
Ralph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #29158
Mtnjohn
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SW Montana
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
They say confession good for the soul.


sheesh.. you would think that having done this before I would remember everything, but I didn't. too long between tire changes.
THere is a lot to be said for digital pics in a tear down. I have learned that lesson a few times, glad things turned out OK.
Mtnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #29159
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc
 
NC Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
Strange that it's leaking with so few miles. Positive it's the shock? Is it acting differently?


Shoot a PM to NC Rick. I'm thinking Cogent Dynamics can help you out if it needs work.
Leaky seals can just happen. Sometimes they are due to damage to the shock shaft, other times there are issues due to age or dirt. Pressurized assemblys using Orings can be tricky, RE Morton Thiokol and the booster rocket orings on the shuttle ;-)

No problem at all to repair the shock here. You may even want to consider an upgrade to the damping.
__________________
Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc.
motocd.com
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #29160
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Kennedy
The reason I am chasing power gains is part of the whole reason I bought this bike. I ride with a mate on gravel roads that has a TE570 (heaps more power than a DR650) and I also want to do some adventure style riding.
I made a compromise when buying the bike so I am just trying to get it closer to being competative with the Husky. I could have bought another husky but the adventure side would be too expensive on a husky for me.
If I can get a healthy 50hp out of the DR just by making it breathe a bit better and a bit more fuel it will make the bike better for what I want to use it for. So for me the compromise of power vs economy, Power wins.

No offense, but obviously you chose the wrong bike. The DR is not a performance dirt/adventure touring bike. Of course you can spend hundreds and hudreds (and hundreds) of dollars and hours and hours of wrench time to improve it if that's what you enjoy doing - or you could have bought a bike bike that better suited you needs/riding style.
__________________
Enemy of fun
2008 Versys
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014