Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #29191
Inprogress
Adventure forthcoming

Oddometer: 208
Now THAT is a nice bum if I do say so myself....however, one can't be to carefull these days, one needs to sees da front of said "woman" to be sure it is a female. Don't ask me how I know.

Democracy and politics is a conflict of interest
Inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #29192
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress
Will give the bike a go early tomorrow morning before work, I am charging the battery.

What is the pilot screw setting. The manual says 1 & 1/2 turns. I suppose its turning it in all the way, then 1 & 1/2 turns back out?

Now, lets say its not the carb that is giving the problem, what do I check next? (have checked the screen thing at the intake and I don't have one left).

If you don't have an inline fuel filter put one in. Check your tank for dirt - you might be surprised how much gets in there.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #29193
Inprogress
Adventure forthcoming

"What are you doing....Dave?" Sorry, we have this local Windhoek ad on TV and everytime I see or hear the name Dave it pops into my head. Well its probably not just local considering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFzsbXyvULc

I was looking at my fuel filter on the shelf in a plastic tub last night and thought about putting one in. I did it with my 250 Djebel, so why not the DR650.

Will do so, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43
If you don't have an inline fuel filter put one in. Check your tank for dirt - you might be surprised how much gets in there.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #29194
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbmw
I have waited almost two years to make this post! I joined the DR 650 club! my first Jap bike, first dual sport and first chain drive all in the form of an '04
Talk about change! Have fun and keep us posted.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #29195
Inprogress
Adventure forthcoming

Right, it runs, but with throttle. Got the carb cleaner, only as I opened it, its the pour type and not the spray type. So no proper cleaning tonite.

From my deductions of the slow system and the main system, I have a problem with the slow system. The one jet I couldn't get out was the air-inlet jet.

Where do I get new jets, standard jets other than at the dealer, new jets, and seals? A service kit I suppose with jets, needle and pilot screw?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #29196
TomballD
GottaLeaveTexas

Oddometer: 18
i need to move up from the 350 to a 650 for the long hauls
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #29197
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD
i need to move up from the 350 to a 650 for the long hauls
good move.
the 350 and the 650 have little weight diff, so you get good bang for your 'buck' of those extra ponies
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #29198
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
living in NC, I can't believe you waited this long, but way to go

Quote:
I have waited almost two years to make this post! I joined the DR 650 club! A friend let my ride a BMW X-country a couple of years ago on some gravel and easy trail riding and I was hooked. Took a while to make the arrangements but after nearly 30 years of riding, on a succession of street-oriented BMWs, I now have my first Jap bike, first dual sport and first chain drive all in the form of an '04 purchased from an inmate. She had prefarkled it nicely and all I did was order a Sargent seat before it even arrived. Tank bag and tailbox are on the way. (tailbag in the pic is borrowed from my R1150R).

Already have done some exploring of roads I have always avoided and had a blast. I have a lot to learn about riding gravel, mud and rocks but look forward to it. Hope to see some of you Western NC guys on some rides!

BTW, that is Siverwolf's V-Strom in the background!
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #29199
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by weejub
. . #120 post on this thread :) Ways to go, but good stuff so far!!

Picked up a 2001 DR a few weeks ago. Sold the KLR. Looking forward to reading more about everyone's input, adventures and advice.

Thanks!
Here's a tip for you to try: look up on the menu bar, and click on "Thread Tools". Then click "View Printable Version". When that page comes up, click the "View 100 posts per page" link. You will lose some pictures, but you'll be able to skim through the text a lot faster...

It's also useful in Jo Momma, when you're trying to quickly figure out why everyone is pissed...

Welcome...
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #29200
Mtnjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
I have waited almost two years to make this post! I joined the DR 650 club! A friend let my ride a BMW X-country a couple of years ago on some gravel and easy trail riding and I was hooked. Took a while to make the arrangements but after nearly 30 years of riding, on a succession of street-oriented BMWs, I now have my first Jap bike, first dual sport and first chain drive all in the form of an '04 purchased from an inmate. She had prefarkled it nicely and all I did was order a Sargent seat before it even arrived. Tank bag and tailbox are on the way. (tailbag in the pic is borrowed from my R1150R).
!
Congrats. What bags did you buy and how about a pic with them on?
Mtnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #29201
wncbmw
nOOb in post count only

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Congrats. What bags did you buy and how about a pic with them on?
No saddle bags yet but a Wolfman Explorer tankbag (I think that is right, the small one), is coming and a Pelican box will be mounted on the rear. I think with my large Orlieb duffle, I can handle some trips for now without luggage. Probably look at some soft bags after a while.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #29202
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523

this....has somehow....affected me.....

Now i am addicted...

building one today on my DR...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #29203
Dirty Harry
Coffee Addict

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..

Looks like your tires are REALLY WORN DOWN!!!!!

DH
2001 DR650 -sold
2005 DR650 -

DR's do it in the dirt...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #29204
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Group buy: Cogent Dynamics Shock Rebuild with ceramic coating

Hi all -- any interest in having your shock rebuilt by Cogent Dynamics and having the the body hard coated?

Rick at Cogent Dynamics will rebuild your OEM shock and add damping adjustment for $399.

The standard rebuild takes about a week and provides a three-way adjustable shock: compression, rebound, and spring preload. The rework totally replaces the inner workings of the shock, only saving the body and reservoir parts. He puts in a new shaft, bottom mounting clevis, head seal, shock piston, expander ring, wear band, shims, nut, stop washer, and spring clip. He also adds a rebound adjuster system (knob, cross pin, transfer rod, needle and needle jet).

If there's enough interest (at least 4 of us) he can have the shock bodies coated as a batch job for an additional $45 each (total = $444 + shipping).

Turnaround time at his shop is about 2 weeks, but we would need to agree on a date to send the shocks to him for the batch coating procedure. Figure in another week for shipping to and from (~3 weeks total).

A new shock spring (with specified rate) can be included for an additional $75 as part of the group pruchase. Otherwise springs are $90.

Please post here and contact NC Rick by PM or phone (828-628-9025) so we can gauge interest and try to set a cut-off date.

Here's a description of the coating taken from some of his posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
The ALO3 Ceramic coating is optional ($45) and is not for looks, it is a performance coating that makes the shock have less internal friction, last longer (like a LOT longer) and also helps keep the oil cleaner.

The dark gray is hard anodizing and has nothing at all to do with looks, aluminum is a soft material and a poor wear surface for the Teflon piston band to run on. What happens is a little higher friction to start, then the aluminum starts to wear and makes fine particulates enter the oil making a more abrasive slurry, causing more wear and so on. The cast aluminum body of these lower priced shocks are the worst offenders. By putting this special coating on the body, there is a 0.002" "skin" that is hard as glass and this is a very good surface with less friction and excellent wear resistance. The oil stays cleaner and the shock lasts better and works better too. the coating makes the body first class for building a new shock on. If the original body is scored or a little worn, we use a special honing process to bring the bore back into a good condition (a little like redoing a cylinder). I am not at all into bling, it's all function.
Here's a photo of the coated, rebuilt shock with an Eibach spring:

levity screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 09:22 AM
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #29205
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
save me from the dr thread search hell.

Anyone quickly tell me what weight a stock dr's fork oil is? Purpose is so that I can go heavier on it. I bought her second hand so there's no manual and the search feature for this thread is.....