Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #29821
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
If I had better access to real dirt riding things would be different ( and I likely would not start with a dr 650).
Have you ever ridden with SVMango (Brent) from Canton? I followed him up a few trails that made me glad I was on a KTM and not my DR. The FAA tower trail comes to mind.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #29822
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiBishop
Thanks Ride Far, kuyaoli and ditchbanker. That saves me some shopping!

I came up with the quickest possible fix on the butt problem...I folded a small fluffy towel a couple times and sat on it. Made a HUGE difference for 30 mile commute to trails. I'm definitely going for a longer term solution soon though. Those riding pants (http://www.lipowear.com/) have my eye too.

The first things I'm going to do are lower the bike (yeah, wanted to ride rather than turn wrenches last night) and install hand guards. Then wind screen and stiffen the suspension a tick.

Damn I'm having fun!!!
Talking about the towel reminded me of something. Somewhere out there there's a product called sweet cheeks that is a nylon cover you can put two liter bottles into (one on each side of the seat) and adjust with water to get the right firmness. It's supposed to make it wider. I have no experience with this, but if you're looking for the cheapest fix you can, you might want to do a google search or ask for some advice from people on the board who've tried it, I'm sure there are some.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #29823
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Sweet Cheeks

Funny Name Sweet Cheeks.

As for rim locks I have 3, 2 in the rear and one in the front. I did ride home on a flat rear tire and stupid me I didn't notice tell I was home cleaning the bike and "Where's the tire valve?" Ruined the tube and I could have reused the tire (kenda270) but I figured a NEW TUBE needs a new tire. Rimlocks mean lower tire pressure, bigger footprint in the sand.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #29824
Ride Far
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
Hey Ride Far

What happened to your blog?? It ground to a halt in January :( I live in South Africa and was really enjoying your quality posts as you headed south.
Yeah sorry about that Jenx. I plan to update in the next month or so ... funny how it's harder to find the time for it when you're back home & working vs. on the road traveling...
IBA #48073
http://ridefar.typepad.com
2008 DR650
2003 FZ1
Ride Far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #29825
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Rim Locks

I had never used rim locks in the past. Only on dirt only bikes that came with them. I always thought that my DR would not need them. Well about 3 months ago I had my D606's mounted up and had been doing some pretty gnarly trail riding in the woods. I had a flat at 18psi. Didn't think much of it. Changed tubes and went back to riding. Next day had a flat again. Got to looking at the tubes on the back and it was breaking loose at the valve stem. I determined that those 606's were biting so hard it was spinning the tire on the rim. Then had one on the front after riding a really tight twisty section on pavement with street tires. I figured it was because braking hard for corners. Installed 1 rim lock on each rim and no more worries. I have had no more flats since then.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #29826
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,487
I run a Kenda TrakMaster II 760

I usually run 15-16psi and have a rimlock in the rear. I haven't found the need for a front rimlock and believe that "out of balance" would be more noticable on a front tire. Offroad, without a rimlock + bad IMO. A friend on a DRZ got a flat and his tire was off both beads and spinning hopelessly within a mile. We didn't have anything to fix tha flat at the time and ended pushing it out and going for the truck. If you got a gash in the tire you might not be able to fix a flat also. Rimlocks for me please.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #29827
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
For those of you who have vibration problems with rim locks, you might want to look into the Talon brand ones. They are made from billet aluminum and weigh about 1/3 to 1/2 less than the standard ones like Motion Pro.

Even though it only takes a few minutes on the balancing stand I don't even bother with additional weights any more since I can't tell a difference. This is on my off road wheel set however, so I don't ride highways etc much with it.

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #29828
IvisLat
n00b

Oddometer: 6
dr 650

Hello everyone,I'm a newbie in this forum!
So,I accidentally found info and pictures about Suzuki Dr650 and i fell in love whit it!! 100% that Dr650 will be my next bike!
Now I just need to sell my Kawasaki Er5 and then go get one of Suzuki babies.

I was wondering ,whats a normal price for about 97~~00 year Dr650 ?
In my country is very small selection,best offer is 97 Suzuki Dr 650 for 2800 $ ,is that normal price?
Sorry for my english,still working on it :)
s
IvisLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #29829
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Talking about the towel reminded me of something. Somewhere out there there's a product called sweet cheeks that is a nylon cover you can put two liter bottles into (one on each side of the seat) and adjust with water to get the right firmness. It's supposed to make it wider. I have no experience with this, but if you're looking for the cheapest fix you can, you might want to do a google search or ask for some advice from people on the board who've tried it, I'm sure there are some.
I have two riding buddies, 1 with an XR400, and 1 with a DRZ 400 that both use the sweet cheeks. They say they really help. This in my opinion is only of use to guys like them that have shall we say, "wider asses". For a narrow ass like me they are of little use. The effectively widen the seating area.

I bought a sargent seat and I love it.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #29830
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
The MSR fuel bottles fit in the sweet cheeks for carrying extra gas too.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #29831
Radar51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
+1 on the Sargent
Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #29832
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvisLat
Hello everyone,I'm a newbie in this forum!
So,I accidentally found info and pictures about Suzuki Dr650 and i fell in love whit it!! 100% that Dr650 will be my next bike!
Now I just need to sell my Kawasaki Er5 and then go get one of Suzuki babies.

I was wondering ,whats a normal price for about 97~~00 year Dr650 ?
In my country is very small selection,best offer is 97 Suzuki Dr 650 for 2800 $ ,is that normal price?
Sorry for my english,still working on it :)
s
Welcome. It would be helpful to know what country you are from. Maybe there are some other members in your part of the world who could advise you.

In the US, $2,800 (USD) would be high, even for a clean, low mileage '97, but DR650's are plentiful here. If they sre scarce and sought after in your country, the sellers will take advantage.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #29833
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
For those of you who have vibration problems with rim locks, you might want to look into the Talon brand ones. They are made from billet aluminum and weigh about 1/3 to 1/2 less than the standard ones like Motion Pro.
Got a Talon in the front dirt wheel but the local bike shops havn't been able to get me a 2.5" rear yet.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #29834
thumperdr
n00b

Oddometer: 6
DR650 price

I gave $1,900 for my 2000 Dr650 it had 2,600 miles on it. I bought it in
May of 09
thumperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #29835
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
I finally got around to checking my NSU screws today on my 2007 DR650 with 18,100 miles on it. No worries, they were tight as a drum. I removed them and cleaned the threads with brake cleaner and compressed air. Blue Loctite and screwed them back in never to be seen again hopefully. The clutch looks and measures like brand new. These things are built to last.