Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #29821
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Talking about the towel reminded me of something. Somewhere out there there's a product called sweet cheeks that is a nylon cover you can put two liter bottles into (one on each side of the seat) and adjust with water to get the right firmness. It's supposed to make it wider. I have no experience with this, but if you're looking for the cheapest fix you can, you might want to do a google search or ask for some advice from people on the board who've tried it, I'm sure there are some.
I have two riding buddies, 1 with an XR400, and 1 with a DRZ 400 that both use the sweet cheeks. They say they really help. This in my opinion is only of use to guys like them that have shall we say, "wider asses". For a narrow ass like me they are of little use. The effectively widen the seating area.

I bought a sargent seat and I love it.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #29822
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Talking about the towel reminded me of something. Somewhere out there there's a product called sweet cheeks that is a nylon cover you can put two liter bottles into (one on each side of the seat) and adjust with water to get the right firmness. It's supposed to make it wider. I have no experience with this, but if you're looking for the cheapest fix you can, you might want to do a google search or ask for some advice from people on the board who've tried it, I'm sure there are some.
The MSR fuel bottles fit in the sweet cheeks for carrying extra gas too.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #29823
Radar51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
+1 on the Sargent
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #29824
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvisLat
Hello everyone,I'm a newbie in this forum!
So,I accidentally found info and pictures about Suzuki Dr650 and i fell in love whit it!! 100% that Dr650 will be my next bike!
Now I just need to sell my Kawasaki Er5 and then go get one of Suzuki babies.

I was wondering ,whats a normal price for about 97~~00 year Dr650 ?
In my country is very small selection,best offer is 97 Suzuki Dr 650 for 2800 $ ,is that normal price?
Sorry for my english,still working on it :)
s
Welcome. It would be helpful to know what country you are from. Maybe there are some other members in your part of the world who could advise you.

In the US, $2,800 (USD) would be high, even for a clean, low mileage '97, but DR650's are plentiful here. If they sre scarce and sought after in your country, the sellers will take advantage.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #29825
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
For those of you who have vibration problems with rim locks, you might want to look into the Talon brand ones. They are made from billet aluminum and weigh about 1/3 to 1/2 less than the standard ones like Motion Pro.
Got a Talon in the front dirt wheel but the local bike shops havn't been able to get me a 2.5" rear yet.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #29826
thumperdr
n00b

Oddometer: 6
DR650 price

I gave $1,900 for my 2000 Dr650 it had 2,600 miles on it. I bought it in
May of 09
thumperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #29827
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,116
I finally got around to checking my NSU screws today on my 2007 DR650 with 18,100 miles on it. No worries, they were tight as a drum. I removed them and cleaned the threads with brake cleaner and compressed air. Blue Loctite and screwed them back in never to be seen again hopefully. The clutch looks and measures like brand new. These things are built to last.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #29828
shotglass
When in doubt, gas it

Oddometer: 31
Seat trials

Here's the 2008 in the sierras a couple of days before the snow storms. Its my latest attempt at being able to ride distance without my ass failing before a tank of gas. Its the walmart ATV pad. Worked better than the stock seat, gel seat, gelseat with sheepskin, gel seat with beads. By now I probably could have just bought a "real" seat.
Attached Images

shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #29829
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
cut-n-lower footpeg brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
Lowering foot pegs - Has anyone simply cut off their footpegs, shortened the bracket, and re-welded them on? ...
I cut about 1/2" out of the stock brackets. The difference is noticeable, but I wish I removed a little more.
Another advantage of the shorter bracket is that your weight has less leverage to bend the rubber mounts.
Mounting Fastway footpegs in the "low-boy" position drops the pegs down and back about another 1/2".

Here's a somewhat blurry blow-up of a photo cropped to show the pegs and bracket:

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #29830
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
I finally got around to checking my NSU screws today on my 2007 DR650 with 18,100 miles on it. No worries, they were tight as a drum. I removed them and cleaned the threads with brake cleaner and compressed air. Blue Loctite and screwed them back in never to be seen again hopefully. The clutch looks and measures like brand new. These things are built to last.
Peace of mind, I tell ya!
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #29831
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster
Thanks, I ordered some and will see if they work for me or not, they seem like a good idea to adapt the bike for taller riders.
One thing I should have mentioned about the procycle peg mounts is that unlike the stock mounts there are no vibration dampeners in them. So you do feel more vibration through the pegs but on the other hand they make an incredibly solid platform when you are standing epically if you go to a bigger peg like the IMS Pro's. They also transfer your weight shifts much more directly which I really like. I'll never put the stock ones back on (unless I ever sell the bike)
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #29832
IvisLat
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
Welcome. It would be helpful to know what country you are from. Maybe there are some other members in your part of the world who could advise you.

In the US, $2,800 (USD) would be high, even for a clean, low mileage '97, but DR650's are plentiful here. If they sre scarce and sought after in your country, the sellers will take advantage.
I'am from Latvija. Maybe someone have heard of it? Couple weeks ago we had a mass picket against raising motorcycle tax . Latvija is located in eastern Europe,in the midle of Baltic states .
I'm searching for Dr for over all europe,but nothing, there are very small offer ,for very big price.
Appears that I must search a Ebay.com for normal price Dr. But I have a problem, in my country any vehicle manufactured over 2001 year must go through certification,which is very expensive,so a 00 model Dr would be a perfect option..
IvisLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #29833
TheFrenchCanadian
Frog Prince

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN
I had never used rim locks in the past. Only on dirt only bikes that came with them. I always thought that my DR would not need them. Well about 3 months ago I had my D606's mounted up and had been doing some pretty gnarly trail riding in the woods. I had a flat at 18psi. Didn't think much of it. Changed tubes and went back to riding. Next day had a flat again. Got to looking at the tubes on the back and it was breaking loose at the valve stem. I determined that those 606's were biting so hard it was spinning the tire on the rim. Then had one on the front after riding a really tight twisty section on pavement with street tires. I figured it was because braking hard for corners. Installed 1 rim lock on each rim and no more worries. I have had no more flats since then.
So, as far as installation, did you just drill a hole in the middle of the rim across from the valve stem then?

TFC
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #29834
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenchCanadian
So, as far as installation, did you just drill a hole in the middle of the rim across from the valve stem then?

TFC
Yes. I also use heavy tubes. A little out of balance, but hey its a thumper right?

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #29835
dr trebor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
DR Problem

Dont how common this is ;; Have 08 DR, Staintune .32 litre tank,All Suspension Mods done ,New Renthals,Screen off 89 dakar ,606s Rimlock,you get the picture;Got a miss under load disconnected restrictor on side of carb ran better but still 250 beat me up hills Sometimes will run good for 200 k then start .Did trip to Alice Springs thru desert[7000 k] ran good till last 1000 bk .Wierdly lifting fuel hoses on left side seems to make it run better .Or is there a site for this Cheers What we do over here with our pegs is a kit from Vince Strang cycles in Aus Drops them down 25 and back 25 mm solid mt but much better for long days in saddle .Trailbike Adventure Magazine has a template you can download But at $55 Aus why bother .Kit is CNC cut comes with all bolts and is 8mm stainless SEAT we use an Airhawk Get 600 700 k in a day with it

dr trebor screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 05:39 AM
dr trebor is offline   Reply With Quote