Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #29911
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Gel seat

[/QUOTE]

I'd buy a Suzuki gel seat if I could find a torn or busted one for cheap and put the gel internals into my stock seat.

I think I need to find some gel padding. I appreciate the links, but $60-$80 for a piece of foam isn't in my tightwad nature... the biggest motivation for my "do-it-yourself" attitude is so I can thumb my nose at over-priced stuff and making as good or better product than they're trying to gouge me for.

So where to find gel padding (or the equivalent) to make my seat LOWER and more comfy? What things are there I could find at garage sales and flea markets that have the right kind of foam in them I could pull out and use? Floatation vests? Baby seats? Gotta think outside the box...[/QUOTE]

What about a memory foam pillow? Got mine for $12 at Wal-Mart. Whack the pillow up for seat stuffing? It's worth a try.

My DR came with a stock seat and the Suzuki gel seat. Have never used the stock seat, because previous owner said it sucked. Believed him and just keep using the gel.

Did 300 miles in one day over Labor Day weekend this year, stayed four days and 300 miles home on the last day. Yes, butt was tired, so took several 20 minute stops to stretch and walk around. Suzuki gel seat is lots better than the stock seat on my CB250 Adventure Honda.

Here's a picture of the Suzuki gel seat. Just installed the rifle case for the Labor Day ride (jack rabbit hunting with friends in Central Oregon desert).

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #29912
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 527
Looks just like the one I made for mine. Except I mounted in on the left bar mount front bolt. Then cross bar adds protection from being accidentially turned on.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo
I made a switch mount out of aluminum and fastened it on the handlebar mount. -- alonzo
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #29913
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
What about a memory foam pillow? Got mine for $12 at Wal-Mart. Whack the pillow up for seat stuffing? It's worth a try.

My DR came with a stock seat and the Suzuki gel seat. Have never used the stock seat, because previous owner said it sucked. Believed him and just keep using the gel.

Dave
Hey, there's an idea... I'll have to give one of those pillows a few good squeezes next time I'm in Walmart.

Have you ever compared the seat pans of your gel seat and the stock seat? I wonder if the pans are the same then why couldn't you make a gel seat out of the stocker?

Those hospital pads they use for bed-ridden patients to keep them from getting bed sores would be ideal...pricey I bet. Hmmm... dress up in scrubs and sneak one out?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #29914
Tony D P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
grip heater controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG
I can't believe that no one runs grip heaters? Not one response or pic yet, WTF?
Here is a link to a pic of how I mounted an adjustable grip heater control:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27513893@N04/3669265499/

Tony D P screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 07:01 PM
Tony D P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #29915
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangontight
fellas,
I'm looking at getting a DR650 but I'm concerned it will be too small. I'm 6'3" and 'bout 225lbs. Will the stock springs be stiff enough? Do they have adjustable preload? What about height wise?....are bar risers a help? Thanks for any imput.
I am 6'2" , 270 Lbs
I have 1 inch risers on the bars , the footpegs are lowered , the rear spring was changed by the PO , I have a stiffer spring that I am gonna install after the holidays , and i am gonna buy stiffer springs up front . Nothing really major and I ride the hell out of it!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #29916
thumperdr
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Dr650

Rock on DR'S Rock on !!! Keep the DR Thread going ..... Lots of great
info here .....
thumperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #29917
hangontight
Rider

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee
I am 6'2" , 270 Lbs
I have 1 inch risers on the bars , the footpegs are lowered , the rear spring was changed by the PO , I have a stiffer spring that I am gonna install after the holidays , and i am gonna buy stiffer springs up front . Nothing really major and I ride the hell out of it!
yeah, i guess that is the general idea: risers, lowered pegs, & stiffer springs. I would look at an xrl but I feel like they are not as street oriented.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #29918
hangontight
Rider

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee
I am 6'2" , 270 Lbs
yeah, i guess that is the general idea: risers, lowered pegs, & stiffer springs. I would look at an xrl but I feel like they are not as street oriented.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #29919
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D P

I love the instrument layout. Where did you get the tach from? I Want one!
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #29920
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangontight
fellas,
I'm looking at getting a DR650 but I'm concerned it will be too small. I'm 6'3" and 'bout 225lbs. Will the stock springs be stiff enough? Do they have adjustable preload? What about height wise?....are bar risers a help? Thanks for any imput.
I am 6'2" and about 240 the stock springs are not stiff enough and the stock shocks and forks kinda suck but all that can be fixed. I found there is really no perfect bike for me right out of the show room. The thing about the DR is that you get it and you make it into what you want and you still have change left over compared to some other models.
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #29921
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by web037
I am 6'2" and about 240 the stock springs are not stiff enough and the stock shocks and forks kinda suck but all that can be fixed. I found there is really no perfect bike for me right out of the show room. The thing about the DR is that you get it and you make it into what you want and you still have change left over compared to some other models.
yup
Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #29922
Ride Far
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
Those hospital pads they use for bed-ridden patients to keep them from getting bed sores would be ideal...pricey I bet.
Heh ... good idea. That's actually how the Airhawk seat pad got its start.

Its manufacturer, Roho, started out in the 70s as a maker of mattresses and pads for the bedridden and people in wheelchairs. Roho still makes those medical products. Then someone got the idea, doh, this sort of product would be great for motorcycle riders, too. And voila, the Airhawk debuted in the mid 90s.
IBA #48073
http://ridefar.typepad.com
2008 DR650
2003 FZ1
Ride Far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #29923
Tony D P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
KOSO tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by web037
I love the instrument layout. Where did you get the tach from? I Want one!
I bought the tach direct from Koso north america. Part no. BA481B17.
It appears the black face model is no longer available, only silver face. Unit housing is polished stainless so I painted mine semi gloss black. $115 + ship. I had an issue requiring an MSD GMR pickup (appears its a signal booster). If you are interested in one of these tachs pm me for more info. I had one of these tachs on my last bike also, nice units. Tony
Tony D P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #29924
slackline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
new DR650

I just brought this '09 home. Traded it for my '07 SV650. Was dark already when I finally got home, so no real riding today, but I can't wait. I went for this largely on everything I've read in this forum. So far, I'm impressed with what little I've done.

I can't quite trust those nobbies in a serious turn. How far are you guys leaning on these on pavement? I'm still getting used to this type of riding. Leaning was easy on my old bike. Some of you guys make it sound like it is on nobbies, but it just looks scary.

Also, what are some basic upgrades that you guys have found you can't live without? I have nice bark busters, an IMS tank, but other than seat, what are the must-have's?

Thanks for any input!

Plus, how do you make pictures show up, and not just links to pictures? I tried uploading jpg's, but all I get is a "upload failed" message.
slackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #29925
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D P

Tony D P, where did you get the mounting plate for the relocate of the indicator lights and heat troller? It looks like its mounted under the handlebar clamps?
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote