Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #29911
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
It's better to be safe than sorry until you get used to what they do.

You need to check that where you store your photo's allows linking.
They are showing IMG tags but do not show as below.
A free Photobucket account is one option.

+1 on getting used to the knobbies. They're going to squirm around but you can still lean a decent amount if you get used to all the movement.

The pictures will show up by ending the url in jpg. Nice bike, congrats.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #29912
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
That is a nice looking DR , wish mine were that clean!
Knobbies can make you pucker a bit in the corner if you are not used to it.Take it easy and feel it out , I wring my DR out once in awhile to get the blood flowing , nothing like taking a corner foot down and laughing!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #29913
DSdave
red line or blow mine

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D P
Here is a link to a pic of how I mounted an adjustable grip heater control:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27513893@N04/3669265499/
Very clean install, looks oem imo.
The mention of the tach is what made me look.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #29914
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
[/quote]

Here's a picture of the Suzuki gel seat. Just installed the rifle case for the Labor Day ride (jack rabbit hunting with friends in Central Oregon desert).

Dave[/quote]

Be werry werry quiet, I'm hunting wabbits hahahahahahaha
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #29915
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackline
I just brought this '09 home. Traded it for my '07 SV650. Was dark already when I finally got home, so no real riding today, but I can't wait. I went for this largely on everything I've read in this forum. So far, I'm impressed with what little I've done.

I can't quite trust those nobbies in a serious turn. How far are you guys leaning on these on pavement? I'm still getting used to this type of riding. Leaning was easy on my old bike. Some of you guys make it sound like it is on nobbies, but it just looks scary.

Also, what are some basic upgrades that you guys have found you can't live without? I have nice bark busters, an IMS tank, but other than seat, what are the must-have's?

Thanks for any input!

http://gallery.me.com/croftfam/10028...12612841120001
http://gallery.me.com/croftfam/10028...12612841060001

Plus, how do you make pictures show up, and not just links to pictures? I tried uploading jpg's, but all I get is a "upload failed" message.

Nice DR! has the look of "Kalifornia Highway Patrol"
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #29916
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Jack, 3.5 - 4" of rear sag is what I like. I am 215 (ok 220 now...) and running the 7.6 spring with my shock. I like running close to the 4" number at the rear. I have about 2.75" in the front.

I am happy to hear that you have the shock installed, it's been a while!

I dont know much about petcocks. I have taken them apart and sometimes the outer mounting plate is no longer flat, causing leaks. Worth taking it apart to have a look. They are simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide
Hey NC Rick,

I finally installed the shock you did for me last year also and installed a set of gold valves in the front. I really can't believe the improvement. Best upgrade I have done so far hands down!!!

Did a quick check of the sag and showing 4 inches in the back and only an inch in the front (assuming I had it totally unloaded). I think you said to go for 3 and 1/2 in the rear so I will tighten the spring pre load a bit. Any comments on the front??

Also noticed my petcock is now leaking or I should saying gushing in the normal position. Is there an easy fix for the petcock or should I just replace. Never leaked a drop in the past don't know what happened.

Thanks,
Jack
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #29917
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info. Did another test run today and really can't get over the difference. With nothing else to compare with I never realized how bad the stock suspension was. Its like a completely new bike. Really regret not doing this sooner. Might have saved my bacon a couple of times if I had.

Looking foward to some more tuning. I'm 225 unladen so will work to get close to your numbers.

Any one reading this I would whole heartedly recommend getting together with Rick at Cogent. Best upgrade you could do for the money. All the power in the world aint worth a damn if you can't keep the wheels on the ground.

Anyone have any experience with stock petcock failures?? Maybe an easy solution. Don't need to fill the bottom end with fuel!!!!

Thanks,
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
Jack, 3.5 - 4" of rear sag is what I like. I am 215 (ok 220 now...) and running the 7.6 spring with my shock. I like running close to the 4" number at the rear. I have about 2.75" in the front.

I am happy to hear that you have the shock installed, it's been a while!

I dont know much about petcocks. I have taken them apart and sometimes the outer mounting plate is no longer flat, causing leaks. Worth taking it apart to have a look. They are simple.
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #29918
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:

Anyone have any experience with stock petcock failures?? Maybe an easy solution. Don't need to fill the bottom end with fuel!!!!

Thanks,
Jack
Easy solution is to get a plastic tank and new pet cock with it. Other wise clean it out once in awhile to keep it from hanging open.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #29919
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Just a random shot of me choosing the wrong line at Thomaston Dam, CT a couple of months ago.

That's some improvement, since the old shots used to show you laying in the mud. How you been bud?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #29920
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:

Thanks,
Jack
Put on a petcock from a Yamaha, that has no diaphram. Then plug the line to the carb. I put one on for about what it'll cost you for a rebuild kit.

Yamaha part # 5LP-24500-01 Under $20 and it comes with a gasket Straight bolt on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 12-20-2009 at 11:47 AM
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #29921
Mfed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
...Anyone have any experience with stock petcock failures?? Maybe an easy solution. Don't need to fill the bottom end with fuel!!!!

Thanks,
Jack
O-rings can fail, diaphragms can fail - once either one fails the petcock flows fuel no matter where the dial is set. I searched extensively for a rebuild kit for this size petcock when mine failed and couldn't find one. The only solution I've seen is to replace it.
Mfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #29922
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
That's some improvement, since the old shots used to show you laying in the mud. How you been bud?

I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Things are good, got a foot of snow here last night..... that storm dump much up by you?
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #29923
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Things are good, got a foot of snow here last night..... that storm dump much up by you?
Northern fringe, 'bout 5"
Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #29924
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
We got 12" of snow S.E. of Asheville, NC mucked things up for the weekend. We kept power but some of my shipping did not get out on Friday.

Jack, take the petcock apart, look for dirt in the seats and stuff. I had a problem with mine when the bike was new and it would flood out, filling the air box. Once I took it apart it has never done it again. It was in 2001 and I cant remember much (old and senile) but I do know that I did not purchase parts.

Thank you for the kind words regarding our re-engineered shock! that is what makes the world go around for us!
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #29925
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 588
Bead Braker

Not sure why but I have never had a problem braking the bead on a tire when changing or repairing but I have read on this thread that many people have extreme problems with this during tire changing. Well today I may have found the answer to all these bead braking problems.

HARBOR FRIEGHT has a motorcycle bead braker. Base and lever type for only $19.95. I have for the past year used a simular braker here in my home shop and did find it better than using tire irons as I have done for many years.

Hope this helps you guys out with bead braking problems.

Good luck in the future changing tires;

TraveGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote