Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #40186
Ed-B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
congrats! how much did the whole thing run you?
It was about $350 for everything.

I got the GSXR muffler for $50, the rest was Jesse's pipe kit, DynoJet kit, carb bowl screws, adjustable fuel screw, shipping, etc.

I think it was money well spent!
Ed-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #40187
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B
I did NOT drill the 2nd slide hole. I read Motolab's advice in this regard in the BST-40 thread and it sounded valid to me: No extra slide wear, no surging, no need to mess with cutting the spring to reduce preload, etc.
The hole in the slide on the KTM is twice the size of the DR one.
I got 80,000km with no slide wear with 2 DR sized holes.

Quote:
I did NOT do Jesse's white spacer mod. I can't see how it could be assumed that the circlip would ever stay on the edge of the shelf in the slide. I put the needle clip opening toward the slide shelf, and dropped it right down to the bottom of the slide. I used the DJ flat washer on top of the clip, per the DJ instructions. Thanks to 996DL for this clarification.
The spacer mod is to keep the needle straight. No other reason.
The needle jet will last much longer if this mod is done but you have to allow for the thickness of the spacer with your clip setting. 4th from top = top with spacer.

Quote:
I did NOT grind the header weld. If the dyno shows no improvement, per Procycle's testing, and the weld could become compromised, resulting in a break/failure, then why bother?
How bad was your weld? No 2 DR's have the same weld or amount of restriction. My header had 60% more surface area after grinding the weld and no turbulence.

Quote:
Now the throttle response is amazing, and the bike runs strong everywhere from idle to wide open. It's really fun to ride this thing now! I really can't imagine how a pumper carb could be that much better on my bike.
It's great isn't it

I couldn't imagine how a pumper could improve on it either.

After 3 1/2 years of DynoJet kitted and dyno tuned bliss I tried one.

It does...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #40188
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
OK, it's official ... I am a rookie I rode today with some pretty experienced guys who took the dr places where I seriously battled to follow.

Put simply Jenx was too slow and too nervous. But those guys I rode with were so patient!

I took a tumble early on in the ride (some fairly gnarly single track) and dented the tank as well scratched the light cowling Oh and slightly sprained left ankle. Not cool. But I learnt a lot today. In fact a sh-tload.

So IMS tank, here I come!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #40189
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
OK, it's official ... I am a rookie I rode today with some pretty experienced guys who took the dr places where I seriously battled to follow.

Put simply Jenx was too slow and too nervous. But those guys I rode with were so patient!

I took a tumble early on in the ride (some fairly gnarly single track) and dented the tank as well scratched the light cowling Oh and slightly sprained left ankle. Not cool. But I learnt a lot today. In fact a sh-tload.

So IMS tank, here I come!
glad to hear you made it to fight another day! and you wanted that IMS tank anyway right?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #40190
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
glad to hear you made it to fight another day! and you wanted that IMS tank anyway right?
Hey thanks man. Yeah I wanted that tank anywayz! Just gotta find the moolah. The dollar is nice and weak at the mo' - so good time to buy!!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #40191
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada. Osoyoos specifically. Canada'a only desert, it's the northern tip of the Sonoran desert that runs all the way north from Mexico.
Wow the Sonoran Desert must be REALLY skinny when it passes my place in Nevada as it stretches up to Canada from Southern california/Nevada!
I should have paid more attention in geography!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #40192
Ed-B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Jesse's justification for the spacer mod is based on the premise that the circlip sits on the top of the shelf. After examining the parts and reviewing MX_Robs carb needle images I'm not convinced that's how the DynoJet folks intended it to be. With the clip on the very bottom of the slide the needle sat square and was pointed straight down. And it also appeared to have a good clean path of travel in the jet tube when I cycled the slide before I put the carb back on the bike.

I suppose there must be something more to be gained with a pumper carb if you folks are all progressing to that after riding the tweaked BST-40.

Maybe I'll go there myself after I burn out the needle/slide/jet/diaphram stuff on the CV carb But seriously, I'm going to enjoy this level of improvement for awhile before I get a pumper carb.

And the DR650 can be a real money pit if you want to get carried away. There's always a point of diminishing returns with these things.

I may be looking at the successor to the DR650 before I feel the need to do much more to my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
The hole in the slide on the KTM is twice the size of the DR one.
I got 80,000km with no slide wear with 2 DR sized holes.

The spacer mod is to keep the needle straight. No other reason.
The needle jet will last much longer if this mod is done but you have to allow for the thickness of the spacer with your clip setting. 4th from top = top with spacer.

How bad was your weld? No 2 DR's have the same weld or amount of restriction. My header had 60% more surface area after grinding the weld and no turbulence.

It's great isn't it

I couldn't imagine how a pumper could improve on it either.

After 3 1/2 years of DynoJet kitted and dyno tuned bliss I tried one.

It does...

Ed-B screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 02:27 PM
Ed-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #40193
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
And the DR650 can be a real money pit if you want to get carried away. There's always a point of diminishing returns with these things.

I may be looking at the successor to the DR650 before I feel the need to do much more to my bike.
Hey Ed-B, cool name! The DR can be a money pit but so worth it! Just some body & suspension mods for me.

RiDR screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 03:40 PM
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #40194
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
ha anyone fitted their dr with an aftermarket horn? im looking for something louder that is about the same size as the stock one. with the stock one im better off just yelling at the cagers

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #40195
K_N_Fodder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Two thousand six hundred eighty four PAGES... wow!
(EDIT - hahaha... in the time it takes me to compose the post, we go to 268FIVE.)

So I'm finally pulling out the big guns for DR help and coming to ADV.

Bike croaked awhile back, no spark. Traced it to a bad pickup coil and spliced in a new one.

Time passes as I wait for a new gasket, finally got it all buttoned up on Friday night. Unfortunately, the darned thing still doesn't work. I now have spark, and it will run very briefly, then it dies. Based on Thumpertalk threads I've tried flipping the leads on the pickup coil but still no luck. So, I ohmed out the CDI with my non-Suzuki approved voltmeter...

Having never done this I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but the majority of the readings came out in range, EXCEPT for the following...

Column #11 was apparently an open circuit - no readings.
Column #9 was consistently low, around 30 kOhm.
Couldn't get a good reading on Column #10... to much inductance or capacitance in there or something.
Rows #9 and #10 were consistently high, around 100 kOhm.

So, does this mean the CDI is croaked? Are there better ways to troubleshoot this if the pickup and generator coils appear to be alive?

Next, the darned CDI is over $500 new Anybody got one for a 2006 laying around?

Going to Big Bend in a few weeks, gotta get this thing workin!

A parting picture of my hoss...
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #40196
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Alright, so inspired by nicomama's DRZ400 with the round Baja Designs headlight I decided to pick one up for the DR650. With the little headlight fairing gone I'm gonig to have to drop the windshield a few inches:

and a side view:

I'm going to have to go in there and reroute / wrap up all the wires as well.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #40197
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,515
My bike came with the scorpion s/t tires on it.
Very good street tires, they are radials, good grip, long life, quiet.

Hard to see needing better brakes off the track, maybe try better pads?

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouralnik
G'day everyone. Love this forum. I did a lot of research, read for over a week like a bible but couldn't find the advice I'm looking for.
I ride a 2010 Suzuki Dr 650 - I use it as city commuter only: unfortunately no gravel / offroad for me at the moment. I ride every day around 50km through Sydney in all weather conditions (I don't own a car). I've got 5600 kms on it now and it's still in "stock" form - Ventura rack and bag proved to be amazingly practical.
I want to change the rear & front tyre.

Questions:

1. What is the best road tyre combination for the DR? I'm especially concerned about good grip in wet weather/rain and durability. Are the
Pirellis MT90 Scorpion S/T as good as everyone says?

2. What would you install (in order of priority and brand ) in order to improve front and rear brake performance (no conversion to 320mm supermoto rotor & tyres allowed )?

Thank you for your suggestions.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #40198
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,737
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzer
so questions
I live in Edmonton Alberta and am planing on going to Alaska next year on this bike.
Any help would be appreciated and is there any other active dr650 riders in my area.
You can fill in your profile with your location and it will show up on all your posts. Anyone in the area will say Hi.
Quote:
5.Handle bar vibrations are brutal and bars too low for my tall frame any suggestions on new bars and risers to damper vibrations and give more height.
Since I lost two sets of bar end weights, I quit replacing them. They would have been in the way for the 'barkbusters' anyway. I've never felt the DR vibrate bad enough to care about. Stock bars are rubber mounted, so are the foot pegs. Make sure all your nutz-n-boltz are tight, especially the motormounts. The Zuki engineers did a real good job with the gear driven countershaft balancer.
Quote:
7.tm-40 good mod?
Not for me. My DR runs perfectly at 5800ft and up, snorkle out. I have a V-Max if I want speed.

Edit: I think there's a thread on posting pics, but I don't know where or how. Oops, welcome to the site.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 06:51 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #40199
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 27,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Do you normally shut off your fuel petcock on your DR? Stock tank?
Sounds like the needle jet is leaking (under float), letting fuel past. It then migrates into the cylinder as Carb overflows into air box. Dangerous.

Anytime the bike sits, fuel is likely flowing into the cylinder. I would not run it until you stop the flow. Sometimes just rapping on the Carb Bowl will stop the leak. Try it. Good luck, be careful, could burn your house down
and for sure will ruin bearings if run with gas in oil.

Ride the Ninja!
OOPS. Too late.

I started out in the C group. Ran one session in the morning on the DR. Not bad. Got bumped up to B and ran the piss out of the ZX for a couple sessions. Then on the last session I jumped back on the DR. Being that is was hot as hell and late in the day there were only 3 of us out there. I lapped them both on the DR.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #40200
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Now the throttle response is amazing, and the bike runs strong everywhere from idle to wide open. It's really fun to ride this thing now! I really can't imagine how a pumper carb could be that much better on my bike.
Actually it's a huge difference if you can even fathom that. There is no comparison in low end smoothness and throttle response. The vacuum carb's slide jumps up and down causing serious huck a buck at lower RPM's. Just try sticking your bike in 5th gear below 40 MPH and take a listen. Sounds great doesn't it?

Quote:

The GSXR muffler is a top quality piece, and that Two Brothers pipe kit that Jesse offers is equally nice. Perhaps the performance exhausts make a a better dyno chart, but what are we talking here, really?
FMF would love to have a dyno chart like the GSXR system produces. You are not giving up a thing except the tiniest bit of nearly useless overun running the GSXR system. And torque, which is really the DR650's forte, is far better. No, be proud you have the best exhaust system on your bike regardless of what you had to pay for it.

Stick this in your FMF-Q2 "performance pipe" and smoke it..... And don't even get me going on oversized header pipes like the FMF "Power Buster" a fitting name. Might be useful on a cammed up DRZ... totally worthless on a DR650. Yeah, I have the dyno charts.

mx_rob screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 07:19 PM
mx_rob is offline   Reply With Quote