Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #40186
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
I'd love to see pics of your fuel injection setup. Nice.
The best thing to do is go to msruns.com for a digested version of the project without having to page through all the of the Thumpertalk thread.
mx_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #40187
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli
No sputter just dies. It did it again this afternoon in the same manner while I was making a run to get some carb cleaner (Thanks for the suggestion PAL). I was going to check the battery connections because I had to try and jump start a GS last week (see RR in sig line).

I also was thniking that it might have something to do with my stuck choke cable. I'm able to start the bike with little to no problem which leads me to think that the choke might actually be stuck partialy pulled out. I've already ordered the parts to fix this and it would be nice if I could kill two birds with one part. Is there a way to check this without taking the cable all the way off?

Thans again
Canoli
There should be some play in the cable at the point where it enters the carb. The cable sweep goes though a rubber cap and then into a plastic guide that can be easily broken. Pull back the rubber cap and pull out lightly on the cable sweep. There should be some play before you actually start moving the enrichening plunger. Make sure the guide is not cracked and be careful with it when you are replacing your cable.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #40188
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,160
Hey mx rob! I've seen your home page and a few of your post. Dang, I'm impressed! I'm a DR noob and a SW Michigander too. Keep up the good work!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #40189
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Idle speed and oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
What is the idle speed like? The specs call for a 1500-1600 rpm idle. That is really fast, I suspect to eliminate the stalling, due to lean mixture. Stock, had to idle at about 1250 or so to eliminate stalling. If you remove the plug over the pilot screw, you can adjust so that a 1000 rpm idle is doable. As you note, check the filters in the tank and the carb inlet.
At Greyhound, we are told to keep the buses at high idle when parked for any period of time.
This is to get the proper amount of oil flow to the heads.
If I'm not mistaken, the DR has a low oil pressure system.
This could explain the 1500-1600 rpm idle....maybe.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #40190
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_rob
There should be some play in the cable at the point where it enters the carb. The cable sweep goes though a rubber cap and then into a plastic guide that can be easily broken. Pull back the rubber cap and pull out lightly on the cable sweep. There should be some play before you actually start moving the enrichening plunger. Make sure the guide is not cracked and be careful with it when you are replacing your cable.

Thanks I'll take a look.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #40191
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
Hey mx rob! I've seen your home page and a few of your post. Dang, I'm impressed! I'm a DR noob and a SW Michigander too. Keep up the good work!
Hey, where are you in SW MI? I don't get to meet many DR riders around here... I think most of them live in Australia. We have one down in Allegan who is coming over to my house next Saturday to work on his bike. Two's company... three's a party.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #40192
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Oddometer: 617
Bit of advice here guys!

Recently bought this DR650 and after checking it over and doing an oil change yesterday, I took it for a run today.

Here it is at Lake Negratin, Southern Spain today!

Anyway, the previous owner had rejetted and put a K&N air filter on.....goes very well indeed. But the noise is very loud at speed even though it's a stock pipe.

When I checked it appears he was running with the airbox cover off, so I put it back on and tested. Ran like a slug and just wouldn't rev.
If I have to run with the cover off then I'll just carry on....but I'd prefer to have it a bit quieter if possible while still getting decent performance.

I've seen references to this airbox mod with drilling holes but I can't seem to find a definitive set of instructions as to where you drill, and how big the holes should be. And would this be the best course of action for me?
XTreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #40193
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTreme
Bit of advice here guys!

Recently bought this DR650 and after checking it over and doing an oil change yesterday, I took it for a run today.

Anyway, the previous owner had rejetted and put a K&N air filter on.....goes very well indeed. But the noise is very loud at speed even though it's a stock pipe.

When I checked it appears he was running with the airbox cover off, so I put it back on and tested. Ran like a slug and just wouldn't rev.
If I have to run with the cover off then I'll just carry on....but I'd prefer to have it a bit quieter if possible while still getting decent performance.

I've seen references to this airbox mod with drilling holes but I can't seem to find a definitive set of instructions as to where you drill, and how big the holes should be. And would this be the best course of action for me?
This page shows how to cut the airbox:

http://www.kientech.com/DJDR650AbMod.htm
Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #40194
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
This page shows how to cut the airbox:

http://www.kientech.com/DJDR650AbMod.htm
Yeh I saw that, but there are images not displaying so it wasn't that clear to me.
Are we talking cutting the top or the side here?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #40195
AaronK
Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Bit of advice here guys!

One version is here; http://www.kientech.com/DJDR650AbMod.htm

and another here; http://www.procycle.us/info/questions/dr650/fuel_system.html
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #40196
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4aaron
That's exactly what I was looking for! Cheers mate!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #40197
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Did 130 mile ride yesterday on mixed roads and really had no complaints except for the 30 miles I did at interstate speeds. The wind basically wanted to splay my legs and I ended up just putting my feet back on the rear pegs "squid style". I wasn't comfortable either way but at least I wasn't catching wind.

Am I just a bowl legged oddball or has anyone else dealt with this? I've got stockpegs. Is this what lowered pegs are supposed to help with? Advice appreciated.
You're not alone, I actually like using the rear pegs at highway speeds, everything just feels more controlled.
I put on a Safari tank and the wind blowing your legs apart is no longer an issue, peg lowering brackets also helped to the point where I don't even need to ride "squid style" any more... but still do.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #40198
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
That's exactly what I was looking for! Cheers mate!
To keep the sound level down only cut out the top - not the triangular bits on the sides.

http://www.procycle.us/images/info/dr650/airboxmod2.jpg

-
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 09:53 AM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #40199
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
To keep the sound level down only cut out the top - not the triangular bits on the sides.

http://www.procycle.us/images/info/dr650/airboxmod2.jpg

-
Thanks! I gotta quieten this down....even if it means a bit less performance!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #40200
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_rob
The stock air box is the number one restriction point to any type of performance gains on the DR650. The stock needle taper is too mild to allow any modifications to the air box opening.... more shimming will only add a rich spot down low and it will still be lean in the upper mid range. Leave the air box opening stock along with the stock main jet... or open the air box to let the engine breathe and buy a DJ kit with the correct needle to supply the required fuel for the increased air flow. Or chuck the BST in the bin where it belongs and get a real carb with a mechanically controlled slide. Then you can actually say you are riding a thumper.
And don't forget to go with a larger main jet. Jesse recommends something from 150 to 160. I'm running a 155 and very pleased with both performance and fuel economy. I would follow Jesse's guide exactly. You can't go wrong.

MX Rob is spot on ... the bike won't run with an open air box using the stock needle. The DJ needle make a very nice up grade. Bike runs better everywhere. Combined with slightly larger main jet, all good.

A pumper Mikuni or Keihin FCR carbs are good options too but more maintenance/adjustment/wear intensive and a bit more sensitive to altitude and tuning.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote