User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #40201
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,506
Well, I got a very good ride in today.
About 100 mud miles, got lost twice, had no idea where I was.
After all the rain, there was a lot of mud holes, the dr did great.

The slightly enlarged hole in the airbox worked fine, the wet sand was dense, so I really flew around the trails today.
The suspension on my bike really impresses me, I can hit almost anything at high speed and get away with it.
Only very deep sandy strings of whoops upsets the bike.
Seems like I can just dance the rear wheel over stuff at 70 mph, really amazing.

Lots of people on horses out today, ran into 3 guys on dual sports doing 20 mph, but there were horses around, maybe that is why they were going so slow.
I passed them doing 50, then noticed the horses off the trail, oops...

It was on the cold side, and light rain at times, which is great with me, keeps the dust down and the motor cool.

I hear people say the DR is not really a dirt bike, but I seem to fly in the dirt on mine.
I got home, and the coast was still clear (wife out with my sisters) so I took the sportster out for a blast. It was still raining, but not hard, so the neglected Harley got some miles on it.

Good riding day.

Brett
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #40202
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS
Nice, I've been contemplating the same thing. I take it that's the halogen version? Are you going to do anything about no low/high beam?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #40203
NJ-Brett
Brett

Sure its lack of spark that causes it to die now?
Seems strange it would have spark, then not after running a bit.

Fuel supply good?

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Two thousand six hundred eighty four PAGES... wow!
(EDIT - hahaha... in the time it takes me to compose the post, we go to 268FIVE.)

So I'm finally pulling out the big guns for DR help and coming to ADV.

Bike croaked awhile back, no spark. Traced it to a bad pickup coil and spliced in a new one.

Time passes as I wait for a new gasket, finally got it all buttoned up on Friday night. Unfortunately, the darned thing still doesn't work. I now have spark, and it will run very briefly, then it dies. Based on Thumpertalk threads I've tried flipping the leads on the pickup coil but still no luck. So, I ohmed out the CDI with my non-Suzuki approved voltmeter...

Having never done this I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but the majority of the readings came out in range, EXCEPT for the following...

Column #11 was apparently an open circuit - no readings.
Column #9 was consistently low, around 30 kOhm.
Couldn't get a good reading on Column #10... to much inductance or capacitance in there or something.
Rows #9 and #10 were consistently high, around 100 kOhm.

So, does this mean the CDI is croaked? Are there better ways to troubleshoot this if the pickup and generator coils appear to be alive?

Next, the darned CDI is over $500 new Anybody got one for a 2006 laying around?

Going to Big Bend in a few weeks, gotta get this thing workin!

A parting picture of my hoss...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #40204
NJ-Brett
Brett

After reading everything here and other places, I plan on getting the pumper carb.
I can tell there is a lot of untapped potential, and without the pump, its hard to get the mixture right for good mpg, throttle response, and peak performance with an open airbox.

My old xt250 came with a pumper carb, and while it did not make gobs of power, it had great throttle response and good low rpm running.

On the cheap, pulling the snorkel and drilling another (smaller) hole in the slide seems to help a lot, and costs nothing.

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_rob
Actually it's a huge difference if you can even fathom that. There is no comparison in low end smoothness and throttle response. The vacuum carb's slide jumps up and down causing serious huck a buck at lower RPM's. Just try sticking your bike in 5th gear below 40 MPH and take a listen. Sounds great doesn't it?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #40205
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
Nice, I've been contemplating the same thing. I take it that's the halogen version? Are you going to do anything about no low/high beam?
Yeah halogen, I had no interest in the $$ or stator shenanigans needed for the HID. Not too worried about low/high beam.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #40206
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 456
725 kit rocks!

I put 130 miles on my bike today and I have to say the 725 kit is a blast.

I always loved the DR and have used it for everything from touring to enduros in the past 30k+ miles.

Now it's just awesome. Power everywhere, the challenge is keeping the front wheel on the ground. I can't say that the bike needed the extra power but I'm glad to have it!

I love the bike more than ever.

Thanks to Procycle for making it happen, and making it such an easy process. The kit was perfect and had all the stuff to make the process easy even for someone as mechanically deficient as me.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #40207
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, the important thing is that you have fun.
No matter how good you get, there are always people who can run circles around you, unless you are a pro or something.

I have been out twice now without crashing, and the wounds are almost healed up from the last one!

There is all sorts of riding.
I seem to enjoy riding at higher speeds.
I had friends who liked nothing better then trying to get through the biggest mud hole, deepest water, the roughest trails.
Great exercise, but not fun to me. Might as well strap the bike on my back and run through the woods/mud/river...

One guy made a dune buggy, you know, those things before quads were invented. He loved just bashing through the woods, no road or trail, and it always ended badly, stuck or broken, usually right away.
It would have been so much fun to stay on the dirt road and fly around, but NO!

I like going through mud holes, I really dislike getting stuck in one...

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
OK, it's official ... I am a rookie I rode today with some pretty experienced guys who took the dr places where I seriously battled to follow.

Put simply Jenx was too slow and too nervous. But those guys I rode with were so patient!

I took a tumble early on in the ride (some fairly gnarly single track) and dented the tank as well scratched the light cowling Oh and slightly sprained left ankle. Not cool. But I learnt a lot today. In fact a sh-tload.

So IMS tank, here I come!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #40208
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,446
Talking

I figured I should check the NSU screws on my 2007 and I'm glad I did. With only 6200 miles the upper one took zero effort to remove and the bottom one was in there "finger tight". Took very little effort to remove them, I wouldn't even call them snug.

I re-used the screws with lock tight and star washers. Clutch is at .117", I guess .12" is new per the manual. My only pain was getting the clutch lever shaft to work right. I finnally got it working right after taking a brake.

I figured I was sick enough of the pogo ride so I added the .50 springs up front and the 8.3 out back from ProCycle. I should have done the springs already, I like it! It's too stiff for most people now but just right for my fat but. I leave the rear preload at slightly less than 3" for my camping gear and stuff. It works good. A bit stiff solo but, I can leave it and forget it. With the Safari the .50's aren't as stiff as I expected. The ride is not harsh at all for me though. I love how the rear doesn't sag to the ground when your on the throttle.

I'm finding I like the bike the more I ride it now. The TM40 has been great during the last 3500 miles. I'm back over 50 mpg on the two lane roads, the old jet kit had me down to 42 mpg. Stock exhaust, cut air box, twin air filter, 145 main, 22.5 pilot, 1 1/2 turns out on the pilot screw. At 1 1/4 turns out the idle wavers a bit and coughs so I'm pretty lean at idle. The exhaust pipe looks like a stock bike, no soot on it. Very little popping, no surge and great mpg.

I guess I'm done with the farkles now, I'm cutting back to one bike trying to conserve money. So, I'll be putting all the miles on one bike now instead of three or was that four bikes two years ago.. .. I would need a whare house to put the bikes in if I had the money!

The DR started out as my third bike, then with the ST bug (I had the Honda and Yamaha ST's) it was my fourth down the list and hardly riddden. Now, when the FJR is gone it will be the only one left standing. I'll miss the FJR but, I don't have the desire to tour all over anymore or pay for the tires and insurance!

Its funny how you end up liking the old thumper the best though. I've got too many farkles on it now to let it go. Maybe I should add the heated grips next...

sagedrifter screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 02:38 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #40209
ryzer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I think i may have figured it out huraay!

2000 dr650 new to me first bike

my upgrades so far fold away mirrors and moose skid plate with box linear on the in side

Bought a 2000 dr650 had 9xxx kilometers on it for 3200.00 canadian. Came with all stock parts, has eibach springs 7.6 i believe, pro taper cr hi seven eights bars, tail light mod, clear signals front and rear, fork brace, seal savers,two sets of tires, tank bag recovered and moded stock seat, rear rack.

so questions
I live in Edmonton Alberta and am planing on going to Alaska next year on this bike. I am 6foot 5 weigh 250 pounds and will be carrying 50 pounds or less of camping gear.
1. spring weight-oil options.
2.better fuel mileage will be some off road but not aggresive off roader or on roader for that matter
3. windshields (like dakar look, probably doing the ulysise upgrade)
4.Have aluminum panniers already but need rack home build or buy premade rack
5.Handle bar vibrations are brutal and bars to low for my tall frame and suggestions on new bars and risers to damper vibrations and give more height.
6. Will be putting on lowering pegs (not brackets) with center stand, should i keep my kickstand
7.tm-40 good mod?
8.725 stroker better fuel mileage anyone done it yet?
have tons more questions been on this forum for three weeks reading everything but nothing pertaining to my heght and weight.
Any help would be appreciated and is there any other active dr650 riders in my area.
cheers
ryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #40210
big irish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey sagedrifter, you said the springs you got are a little stiff. About what do you weigh? Im around 210 but like firmer suspension and when I am off road a like to move fast. You think they'd be too stiff for me? Also did the TM-40 carb put your mileage back around stock? Oh and ryzer, Im having trouble uploading photos too. How do you do it?
big irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #40211
ryzer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
8 beers later and a little less hair its easy haha

open account on photobucket.com. Upload your photos on to the site re-size them to 640x480 or smaller by draggin your cursor over the picture and place cursor over resize do not click on resize or sends you to different menu place cursor over desired size and click on it, it will prompt you if this is ok say yes, im at 640x480 i think its still to big for this site. Then go drag cursor over it again and click on share then window will pop up there will be four tabs click on get link code, double click in box below the Direct link for layout pages to highlight content then right click save. Then go like you would into to your post click on insert image tab put cursor over the http:// and right click paste and then enter and picture is posted. Make sure that there isnt two http:// or it wont work.

I am 250 with no extra weight on the bike i have 7.6 eibachs and not sure whats in the front end as it was in my bike when i bought it but i feel like im riding in a jolly jumper. I will deffinetly be going to the max for both front and rear springs emulators oil the whole nine yards. Im plaining on putting two panniers and dry bag tent everything on there. So if anyone wants to trade or has what im looking forsale let me know thanks.
ryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #40212
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Thumb Seat Concepts customer service...

...is outstanding. I received my seat kit a couple of weeks ago and installed the new cover and foam last weekend. A fantastic improvement in comfort, and it looks very sharp (I got the "carbon fiber" look vinyl).

After installing the seat kit, I noticed there was a possible issue with the stitching that could impact the seat cover's longevity. I mentioned this last week to "mxbundy" who is one of the Seat Concepts principals, and he immediately responded that they would replace the cover.

It arrived yesterday via Priority mail, and I wanted to let you guys know this is a good outfit to work with.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #40213
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by big irish
Hey sagedrifter, you said the springs you got are a little stiff. About what do you weigh? Im around 210 but like firmer suspension and when I am off road a like to move fast. You think they'd be too stiff for me? Also did the TM-40 carb put your mileage back around stock? Oh and ryzer, Im having trouble uploading photos too. How do you do it?
I'm 6' 4" tall and my weight is at least 270 naked. At 210 the 7.6 or whatever it is would be better unless you carry a lot of stuff. I carry about 50 pounds when traveling with camping gear. The .50 front springs are not that stiff to me, but I do carry 5 gallons most of the time in the Safari tank. You can jet the TM40 lean just like stock if you want. I had surging and low speed issues when stock. Added the jet kit and never was happy with it. The TM40 smooths it all out at a fairly hefty price. My main jet is one step larger for the cut air box. With stock gearing I could get 52, sometimes 54 solo , with the 14 counter sprocket I'm getting 50 with no gear, just me running 50 to 65 on two lane roads through the hills from 700 to 1800 feet MSL. Bone stock, I got 51 to 55 mpg on the back roads. I'm happy with my farkled 50 mpg. I've added lots of weight with rear and side racks, corbin seat, fuel tank, skid plate, case guards, hand guards, knobby tires etc..

sagedrifter screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 02:33 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #40214
gouralnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
DR 650 Road Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak
1) I recently installed a set of Conti Trail Attacks (130/80 and 90/90) and so far I am very pleased. I can't report on wear, but they are designed for large trailies so should wear well on a "little" bike like this. Dry grip is amazing, though the feel is odd at first due to the unusual construction of Conti carcasses. Once you are accustomed to it though, very confidence inspiring. Wet grip (I live on Vancouver Island in Canada so this is important) has also been excellent thus far. I feel much more confident on wet pavement with these than i did on dry pavement with Trail Wings. Needless to say, they are pretty smooth and quiet as well.

2) Assuming your pads, rotors and master cylinder(s) are in decent shape the single best upgrade you can make to your brakes are braided stainless lines. For obvious reasons, you'll see a lot more improvement from the front brake line than the rear, so if you're on a budget, do that one first.

Thanks mate. Will probabaly try them out. I assume you can fit the 130 rear on stock rim is that correct?
gouralnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #40215
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett
Well, the important thing is that you have fun.
Brett
So true. I bought the dr as a first bike adventure tourer - not a trail bike. You know what it's like when you ride with a group. There's the peer pressure to stay with the guys and ride the trail. I had no idea what to expect. The trail was totally new to me as well. But the truth be told, my confidence and skill set were just not up to that trail yesterday and I was lucky not to have hurt myself and the bike a lot worse.

I learnt a lot though about what these types of bikes are capable of. Truly amazing!