Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #40201
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
ha anyone fitted their dr with an aftermarket horn? im looking for something louder that is about the same size as the stock one. with the stock one im better off just yelling at the cagers

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #40202
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Two thousand six hundred eighty four PAGES... wow!
(EDIT - hahaha... in the time it takes me to compose the post, we go to 268FIVE.)

So I'm finally pulling out the big guns for DR help and coming to ADV.

Bike croaked awhile back, no spark. Traced it to a bad pickup coil and spliced in a new one.

Time passes as I wait for a new gasket, finally got it all buttoned up on Friday night. Unfortunately, the darned thing still doesn't work. I now have spark, and it will run very briefly, then it dies. Based on Thumpertalk threads I've tried flipping the leads on the pickup coil but still no luck. So, I ohmed out the CDI with my non-Suzuki approved voltmeter...

Having never done this I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but the majority of the readings came out in range, EXCEPT for the following...

Column #11 was apparently an open circuit - no readings.
Column #9 was consistently low, around 30 kOhm.
Couldn't get a good reading on Column #10... to much inductance or capacitance in there or something.
Rows #9 and #10 were consistently high, around 100 kOhm.

So, does this mean the CDI is croaked? Are there better ways to troubleshoot this if the pickup and generator coils appear to be alive?

Next, the darned CDI is over $500 new Anybody got one for a 2006 laying around?

Going to Big Bend in a few weeks, gotta get this thing workin!

A parting picture of my hoss...
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #40203
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Alright, so inspired by nicomama's DRZ400 with the round Baja Designs headlight I decided to pick one up for the DR650. With the little headlight fairing gone I'm gonig to have to drop the windshield a few inches:

and a side view:

I'm going to have to go in there and reroute / wrap up all the wires as well.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #40204
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
My bike came with the scorpion s/t tires on it.
Very good street tires, they are radials, good grip, long life, quiet.

Hard to see needing better brakes off the track, maybe try better pads?

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouralnik
G'day everyone. Love this forum. I did a lot of research, read for over a week like a bible but couldn't find the advice I'm looking for.
I ride a 2010 Suzuki Dr 650 - I use it as city commuter only: unfortunately no gravel / offroad for me at the moment. I ride every day around 50km through Sydney in all weather conditions (I don't own a car). I've got 5600 kms on it now and it's still in "stock" form - Ventura rack and bag proved to be amazingly practical.
I want to change the rear & front tyre.

Questions:

1. What is the best road tyre combination for the DR? I'm especially concerned about good grip in wet weather/rain and durability. Are the
Pirellis MT90 Scorpion S/T as good as everyone says?

2. What would you install (in order of priority and brand ) in order to improve front and rear brake performance (no conversion to 320mm supermoto rotor & tyres allowed )?

Thank you for your suggestions.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #40205
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzer
so questions
I live in Edmonton Alberta and am planing on going to Alaska next year on this bike.
Any help would be appreciated and is there any other active dr650 riders in my area.
You can fill in your profile with your location and it will show up on all your posts. Anyone in the area will say Hi.
Quote:
5.Handle bar vibrations are brutal and bars too low for my tall frame any suggestions on new bars and risers to damper vibrations and give more height.
Since I lost two sets of bar end weights, I quit replacing them. They would have been in the way for the 'barkbusters' anyway. I've never felt the DR vibrate bad enough to care about. Stock bars are rubber mounted, so are the foot pegs. Make sure all your nutz-n-boltz are tight, especially the motormounts. The Zuki engineers did a real good job with the gear driven countershaft balancer.
Quote:
7.tm-40 good mod?
Not for me. My DR runs perfectly at 5800ft and up, snorkle out. I have a V-Max if I want speed.

Edit: I think there's a thread on posting pics, but I don't know where or how. Oops, welcome to the site.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 07:51 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #40206
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Do you normally shut off your fuel petcock on your DR? Stock tank?
Sounds like the needle jet is leaking (under float), letting fuel past. It then migrates into the cylinder as Carb overflows into air box. Dangerous.

Anytime the bike sits, fuel is likely flowing into the cylinder. I would not run it until you stop the flow. Sometimes just rapping on the Carb Bowl will stop the leak. Try it. Good luck, be careful, could burn your house down
and for sure will ruin bearings if run with gas in oil.

Ride the Ninja!
OOPS. Too late.

I started out in the C group. Ran one session in the morning on the DR. Not bad. Got bumped up to B and ran the piss out of the ZX for a couple sessions. Then on the last session I jumped back on the DR. Being that is was hot as hell and late in the day there were only 3 of us out there. I lapped them both on the DR.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #40207
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B
Now the throttle response is amazing, and the bike runs strong everywhere from idle to wide open. It's really fun to ride this thing now! I really can't imagine how a pumper carb could be that much better on my bike.
Actually it's a huge difference if you can even fathom that. There is no comparison in low end smoothness and throttle response. The vacuum carb's slide jumps up and down causing serious huck a buck at lower RPM's. Just try sticking your bike in 5th gear below 40 MPH and take a listen. Sounds great doesn't it?

Quote:

The GSXR muffler is a top quality piece, and that Two Brothers pipe kit that Jesse offers is equally nice. Perhaps the performance exhausts make a a better dyno chart, but what are we talking here, really?
FMF would love to have a dyno chart like the GSXR system produces. You are not giving up a thing except the tiniest bit of nearly useless overun running the GSXR system. And torque, which is really the DR650's forte, is far better. No, be proud you have the best exhaust system on your bike regardless of what you had to pay for it.

Stick this in your FMF-Q2 "performance pipe" and smoke it..... And don't even get me going on oversized header pipes like the FMF "Power Buster" a fitting name. Might be useful on a cammed up DRZ... totally worthless on a DR650. Yeah, I have the dyno charts.

mx_rob screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 08:19 PM
mx_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #40208
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, I got a very good ride in today.
About 100 mud miles, got lost twice, had no idea where I was.
After all the rain, there was a lot of mud holes, the dr did great.

The slightly enlarged hole in the airbox worked fine, the wet sand was dense, so I really flew around the trails today.
The suspension on my bike really impresses me, I can hit almost anything at high speed and get away with it.
Only very deep sandy strings of whoops upsets the bike.
Seems like I can just dance the rear wheel over stuff at 70 mph, really amazing.

Lots of people on horses out today, ran into 3 guys on dual sports doing 20 mph, but there were horses around, maybe that is why they were going so slow.
I passed them doing 50, then noticed the horses off the trail, oops...

It was on the cold side, and light rain at times, which is great with me, keeps the dust down and the motor cool.

I hear people say the DR is not really a dirt bike, but I seem to fly in the dirt on mine.
I got home, and the coast was still clear (wife out with my sisters) so I took the sportster out for a blast. It was still raining, but not hard, so the neglected Harley got some miles on it.

Good riding day.

Brett
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #40209
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS
Nice, I've been contemplating the same thing. I take it that's the halogen version? Are you going to do anything about no low/high beam?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #40210
NJ-Brett
Brett

Sure its lack of spark that causes it to die now?
Seems strange it would have spark, then not after running a bit.

Fuel supply good?

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Two thousand six hundred eighty four PAGES... wow!
(EDIT - hahaha... in the time it takes me to compose the post, we go to 268FIVE.)

So I'm finally pulling out the big guns for DR help and coming to ADV.

Bike croaked awhile back, no spark. Traced it to a bad pickup coil and spliced in a new one.

Time passes as I wait for a new gasket, finally got it all buttoned up on Friday night. Unfortunately, the darned thing still doesn't work. I now have spark, and it will run very briefly, then it dies. Based on Thumpertalk threads I've tried flipping the leads on the pickup coil but still no luck. So, I ohmed out the CDI with my non-Suzuki approved voltmeter...

Having never done this I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but the majority of the readings came out in range, EXCEPT for the following...

Column #11 was apparently an open circuit - no readings.
Column #9 was consistently low, around 30 kOhm.
Couldn't get a good reading on Column #10... to much inductance or capacitance in there or something.
Rows #9 and #10 were consistently high, around 100 kOhm.

So, does this mean the CDI is croaked? Are there better ways to troubleshoot this if the pickup and generator coils appear to be alive?

Next, the darned CDI is over $500 new Anybody got one for a 2006 laying around?

Going to Big Bend in a few weeks, gotta get this thing workin!

A parting picture of my hoss...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #40211
NJ-Brett
Brett

After reading everything here and other places, I plan on getting the pumper carb.
I can tell there is a lot of untapped potential, and without the pump, its hard to get the mixture right for good mpg, throttle response, and peak performance with an open airbox.

My old xt250 came with a pumper carb, and while it did not make gobs of power, it had great throttle response and good low rpm running.

On the cheap, pulling the snorkel and drilling another (smaller) hole in the slide seems to help a lot, and costs nothing.

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_rob
Actually it's a huge difference if you can even fathom that. There is no comparison in low end smoothness and throttle response. The vacuum carb's slide jumps up and down causing serious huck a buck at lower RPM's. Just try sticking your bike in 5th gear below 40 MPH and take a listen. Sounds great doesn't it?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #40212
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
Nice, I've been contemplating the same thing. I take it that's the halogen version? Are you going to do anything about no low/high beam?
Yeah halogen, I had no interest in the $$ or stator shenanigans needed for the HID. Not too worried about low/high beam.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #40213
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 456
725 kit rocks!

I put 130 miles on my bike today and I have to say the 725 kit is a blast.

I always loved the DR and have used it for everything from touring to enduros in the past 30k+ miles.

Now it's just awesome. Power everywhere, the challenge is keeping the front wheel on the ground. I can't say that the bike needed the extra power but I'm glad to have it!

I love the bike more than ever.

Thanks to Procycle for making it happen, and making it such an easy process. The kit was perfect and had all the stuff to make the process easy even for someone as mechanically deficient as me.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #40214
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, the important thing is that you have fun.
No matter how good you get, there are always people who can run circles around you, unless you are a pro or something.

I have been out twice now without crashing, and the wounds are almost healed up from the last one!

There is all sorts of riding.
I seem to enjoy riding at higher speeds.
I had friends who liked nothing better then trying to get through the biggest mud hole, deepest water, the roughest trails.
Great exercise, but not fun to me. Might as well strap the bike on my back and run through the woods/mud/river...

One guy made a dune buggy, you know, those things before quads were invented. He loved just bashing through the woods, no road or trail, and it always ended badly, stuck or broken, usually right away.
It would have been so much fun to stay on the dirt road and fly around, but NO!

I like going through mud holes, I really dislike getting stuck in one...

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
OK, it's official ... I am a rookie I rode today with some pretty experienced guys who took the dr places where I seriously battled to follow.

Put simply Jenx was too slow and too nervous. But those guys I rode with were so patient!

I took a tumble early on in the ride (some fairly gnarly single track) and dented the tank as well scratched the light cowling Oh and slightly sprained left ankle. Not cool. But I learnt a lot today. In fact a sh-tload.

So IMS tank, here I come!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #40215
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
Talking

I figured I should check the NSU screws on my 2007 and I'm glad I did. With only 6200 miles the upper one took zero effort to remove and the bottom one was in there "finger tight". Took very little effort to remove them, I wouldn't even call them snug.

I re-used the screws with lock tight and star washers. Clutch is at .117", I guess .12" is new per the manual. My only pain was getting the clutch lever shaft to work right. I finnally got it working right after taking a brake.

I figured I was sick enough of the pogo ride so I added the .50 springs up front and the 8.3 out back from ProCycle. I should have done the springs already, I like it! It's too stiff for most people now but just right for my fat but. I leave the rear preload at slightly less than 3" for my camping gear and stuff. It works good. A bit stiff solo but, I can leave it and forget it. With the Safari the .50's aren't as stiff as I expected. The ride is not harsh at all for me though. I love how the rear doesn't sag to the ground when your on the throttle.

I'm finding I like the bike the more I ride it now. The TM40 has been great during the last 3500 miles. I'm back over 50 mpg on the two lane roads, the old jet kit had me down to 42 mpg. Stock exhaust, cut air box, twin air filter, 145 main, 22.5 pilot, 1 1/2 turns out on the pilot screw. At 1 1/4 turns out the idle wavers a bit and coughs so I'm pretty lean at idle. The exhaust pipe looks like a stock bike, no soot on it. Very little popping, no surge and great mpg.

I guess I'm done with the farkles now, I'm cutting back to one bike trying to conserve money. So, I'll be putting all the miles on one bike now instead of three or was that four bikes two years ago.. .. I would need a whare house to put the bikes in if I had the money!

The DR started out as my third bike, then with the ST bug (I had the Honda and Yamaha ST's) it was my fourth down the list and hardly riddden. Now, when the FJR is gone it will be the only one left standing. I'll miss the FJR but, I don't have the desire to tour all over anymore or pay for the tires and insurance!

Its funny how you end up liking the old thumper the best though. I've got too many farkles on it now to let it go. Maybe I should add the heated grips next...

sagedrifter screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 03:38 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote