ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #40561
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer
 
mxbundy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hemet Ca.
Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Got my new Seat Concepts seat over the weekend. Quality appears to be top notch. I have not installed the cover/foam yet but on initial look it appears the Seat Concepts foam is ~1" lower right in the "valley" up near the seat. I spend a lot of time "up on the tank" offroad and my old knees need all the help they can get when I need to stand up. If you've got a Seat Concepts seat then have you noticed that it appears/feels lower when sitting up near the tank?

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow but wanted to get the general consensus from those in the know.

Thanks!
Hi svwayne,
The seat should not be any lower than the stock seat. It was molded off of a brand new unused seat, only changes on our end was to widen it for the extra comfort. No changes were made to the height.
Could you possibly have a seat that has been modified for height?
Feel free to call tomorrow. Hope this helps!

Thanks
Bundy
__________________
The 80`s..........ah yes...back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #40562
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,376
Congrats!
Good deal, just what you want, an inexpensive beat up bike for a low price, I did the same thing.
Been having a blast on it.

Where are you located, and what do you plan on doing with the bike?
If dirt riding down south, maybe I will see you on the trails....

Remember, you need the battery to start the bike, unless you have a bunch of people to push start the bike.....

Brett




Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Well Im an official member of the DR650 club. Picked up a 2000 model with 20k miles for $1800 in NJ. Its got some scratches, was laid down 2 owners ago, and needs to be cleaned up, but runs fine. I will be changing out the muffler...its got that Japanese one with the Japanese writing on it (Yosh...) I dont know I forgot the name right now... its way too loud of my tastes, will probably throw an FMF on there. It does backfire when you let the throttle go not sure if thats too lean or what?? Might need a battery, going to see how this one goes first. Already have a procycle wishlist in mind, starting with plastics and a bigger tank.

I have an idea for the seat, and will probably have a local guy do it, I want to make it like the KLR dual platform seat that corbin offers (http://corbin.com/kawasaki/klrhpyt.shtml)

Overall I'm happy, Only put 1 mile on her in Jersey just test riding it, but from what I felt, I'm certain I'm gonna like it!

Will post pics soon, as soon as the battery is charged and the plastics are back on
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #40563
Ganjora
class A bollockser
 
Ganjora's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
Has anyone got the as delivered jetting and float height for a Procycle TM40.
from the leaflet/manual that i got with my TM40:

Main Jet: 150
Pilot Jet: 22.5
Needle Clip 3rd position from top

float hight picture shows 19 +-2.0m
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #40564
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,128
ADV8:

Thanks for pointing out your service manual link (duh). Yep, it works great! Mine bike came with the factory manual, but now I'll have a PDF version to bring along on rides too.

I'm getting ready for a weekend ride out to Crater Lake. Just put in another ProCycle order last night for tank panniers and the front fender bag. I may be camping one of the two nights.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #40565
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,007
Im on Long Island and plan on doing trails in the tri-state area, plus PA... See you out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett
Congrats!
Good deal, just what you want, an inexpensive beat up bike for a low price, I did the same thing.
Been having a blast on it.

Where are you located, and what do you plan on doing with the bike?
If dirt riding down south, maybe I will see you on the trails....

Remember, you need the battery to start the bike, unless you have a bunch of people to push start the bike.....

Brett
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #40566
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,579
My TM40 was setup the same. I am just a few hundred feet above sea level. It worked fairly well with that setup (much better than the BST with DynoJet), but I felt it was running rich and fuel consumption wasn't great. I subsequently made several incremental changes until I ended up with my current setup:
135 main
17.5 pilot
needle clip 2nd notch from the top.

I've never touched the float height, but I did cover up a portion of the giant hole that I had cut in my airbox. Now, the intake sound is quieter, power delivery is awesome, and fuel consumption is terrific (48-49mpg in the city, and 52-55mpg on the highway). All of this with 14/43 gearing.

I also made a minor adjustment of the accelerator pump, backing it off a tiny bit so it doesn't kick in so early.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjora
from the leaflet/manual that i got with my TM40:

Main Jet: 150
Pilot Jet: 22.5
Needle Clip 3rd position from top

float hight picture shows 19 +-2.0m
__________________
Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #40567
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by justscoutin
I used the old supertrap pipe on my bike, cut the end and made a flange to go on it and bolted on the gsxr can. works great. cheaper than buying something, and way easier than building a whole new pipe. sounds way better now!
That's using yer bean. Good idea.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #40568
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,128
Here's where I was yesterday afternoon during a shake-down cruise of my new bar riser and stuff. Tried to take a trail to go back to the main road, but found a locked gate and a bit of mud. Almost dumped it a couple of times but managed to keep it upright. Ended up walking it backwards and parking it to take the photo, then walked it back around the right direction and rode out. These Shinko E-700's are definitely NOT mud tires. :)

__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #40569
Garak
Still wearing pants.
 
Garak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Oddometer: 266
Pillion pegs?

Does anyone know if there are better (grippier) pillion pegs available to fit? I put some marine grip tape on the stock ones, but I'm told they still get pretty slippery when wet.
__________________
__________________
Across the country on the kindness of strangers and the strangeness of friends (and a DR650).

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #40570
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..
 
ADV8's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of Sydney.
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjora
From the leaflet/manual that i got with my TM40:

Main Jet: 150
Pilot Jet: 22.5
Needle Clip 3rd position from top

float hight picture shows 19 +-2.0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump
My TM40 was setup the same. I am just a few hundred feet above sea level. It worked fairly well with that setup (much better than the BST with DynoJet), but I felt it was running rich and fuel consumption wasn't great. I subsequently made several incremental changes until I ended up with my current setup:
135 main
17.5 pilot
needle clip 2nd notch from the top.

I've never touched the float height, but I did cover up a portion of the giant hole that I had cut in my airbox. Now, the intake sound is quieter, power delivery is awesome, and fuel consumption is terrific (48-49mpg in the city, and 52-55mpg on the highway). All of this with 14/43 gearing.

I also made a minor adjustment of the accelerator pump, backing it off a tiny bit so it doesn't kick in so early.
Cheers for that.
I will check the carb today.
I also noticed if I open the throttle very quickly from idle it bogs so something is up.
It was strange,even running at slower speeds gave bad fuel comsumption with 16/45 gearing. (520 chain set)
I ended up going to a 15 front at the 1800 km mark then dropping the needle to I think the second from top notch.
Fuel consumption was a little better with up to 17 km/l.
The final part down the east coast was better but now the over flow thing again and the engine feels a little flat.

Over the 4200 km trip from the top of Australia to near the bottom mileage ranged from 11 to 19 km/l on the road (all tar seal,no dirt and in SM trim)

Thats (30 imperial mpg (25 US mpg) to 53 imperial mpg (44 US mpg)
__________________
The person who got you the billet DR650 third gear set, you're welcome.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #40571
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,579
Wow. That's quite a difference.

I remember the biggest improvement in fuel consumption resulted when I lowered th needle... Mind you, the awesome highway consumption I get when running 14/13 gearing is achieved by keeping a modest speed, say an indicated 100 Km/hr... with 15/43 gearing, I can achieve the same fuel economy at a steady 115 Km/hr.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
. . .

Thats (30 imperial mpg (25 US mpg) to 53 imperial mpg (44 US mpg)
__________________
Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #40572
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..
 
ADV8's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of Sydney.
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump
Wow. That's quite a difference.

I remember the biggest improvement in fuel consumption resulted when I lowered th needle... Mind you, the awesome highway consumption I get when running 14/13 gearing is achieved by keeping a modest speed, say an indicated 100 Km/hr... with 15/43 gearing, I can achieve the same fuel economy at a steady 115 Km/hr.
Indeed,I was getting the same mileage give or take before at those speeds with either the 14 or 15 tooth front (530 gear set)

First thing noticed,I had dropped the needle to the third from top,it had been on the forth from top.
The stock plastic washer that goes under the clip will be what I noticed on the bench back in Darwin (4200 kms away)
I made a new one from the lid of a chinese take out lid.
The pumper nozzle is not pointing at the needle but at 90 degree's so aiming at the carb wall.
That might explain the flat spot.
Back to the garage,I have a date tonight,DR is the only transport.
__________________
The person who got you the billet DR650 third gear set, you're welcome.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #40573
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,579
I love it ! That's something I would do. Finding creative ways to make something work... better.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
. .
I made a new one from the lid of a chinese take out lid.
__________________
Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #40574
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump
I love it ! That's something I would do. Finding creative ways to make something work... better.

I wanna know how the takeout was?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #40575
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!
 
toddiscdn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Blue Point, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Got my new Seat Concepts seat over the weekend. Quality appears to be top notch. I have not installed the cover/foam yet but on initial look it appears the Seat Concepts foam is ~1" lower right in the "valley" up near the seat. I spend a lot of time "up on the tank" offroad and my old knees need all the help they can get when I need to stand up. If you've got a Seat Concepts seat then have you noticed that it appears/feels lower when sitting up near the tank?

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow but wanted to get the general consensus from those in the know.

Thanks!
Mines not any lower front to rear anywhere that I noticed, just wider at the rear.

Cheers, Todd
__________________
"It's all about the beer"
drcool
08DR650 - Jack of all trades, master of none
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014