Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #40576
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Here's where I was yesterday afternoon during a shake-down cruise of my new bar riser and stuff. Tried to take a trail to go back to the main road, but found a locked gate and a bit of mud. Almost dumped it a couple of times but managed to keep it upright. Ended up walking it backwards and parking it to take the photo, then walked it back around the right direction and rode out. These Shinko E-700's are definitely NOT mud tires. :)

'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #40577
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Pillion pegs?

Does anyone know if there are better (grippier) pillion pegs available to fit? I put some marine grip tape on the stock ones, but I'm told they still get pretty slippery when wet.

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #40578
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjora
From the leaflet/manual that i got with my TM40:

Main Jet: 150
Pilot Jet: 22.5
Needle Clip 3rd position from top

float hight picture shows 19 +-2.0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump
My TM40 was setup the same. I am just a few hundred feet above sea level. It worked fairly well with that setup (much better than the BST with DynoJet), but I felt it was running rich and fuel consumption wasn't great. I subsequently made several incremental changes until I ended up with my current setup:
135 main
17.5 pilot
needle clip 2nd notch from the top.

I've never touched the float height, but I did cover up a portion of the giant hole that I had cut in my airbox. Now, the intake sound is quieter, power delivery is awesome, and fuel consumption is terrific (48-49mpg in the city, and 52-55mpg on the highway). All of this with 14/43 gearing.

I also made a minor adjustment of the accelerator pump, backing it off a tiny bit so it doesn't kick in so early.
Cheers for that.
I will check the carb today.
I also noticed if I open the throttle very quickly from idle it bogs so something is up.
It was strange,even running at slower speeds gave bad fuel comsumption with 16/45 gearing. (520 chain set)
I ended up going to a 15 front at the 1800 km mark then dropping the needle to I think the second from top notch.
Fuel consumption was a little better with up to 17 km/l.
The final part down the east coast was better but now the over flow thing again and the engine feels a little flat.

Over the 4200 km trip from the top of Australia to near the bottom mileage ranged from 11 to 19 km/l on the road (all tar seal,no dirt and in SM trim)

Thats (30 imperial mpg (25 US mpg) to 53 imperial mpg (44 US mpg)

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #40579
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,425
Wow. That's quite a difference.

I remember the biggest improvement in fuel consumption resulted when I lowered th needle... Mind you, the awesome highway consumption I get when running 14/13 gearing is achieved by keeping a modest speed, say an indicated 100 Km/hr... with 15/43 gearing, I can achieve the same fuel economy at a steady 115 Km/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
. . .

Thats (30 imperial mpg (25 US mpg) to 53 imperial mpg (44 US mpg)

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #40580
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Wow. That's quite a difference.

I remember the biggest improvement in fuel consumption resulted when I lowered th needle... Mind you, the awesome highway consumption I get when running 14/13 gearing is achieved by keeping a modest speed, say an indicated 100 Km/hr... with 15/43 gearing, I can achieve the same fuel economy at a steady 115 Km/hr.
Indeed,I was getting the same mileage give or take before at those speeds with either the 14 or 15 tooth front (530 gear set)

First thing noticed,I had dropped the needle to the third from top,it had been on the forth from top.
The stock plastic washer that goes under the clip will be what I noticed on the bench back in Darwin (4200 kms away)
I made a new one from the lid of a chinese take out lid.
The pumper nozzle is not pointing at the needle but at 90 degree's so aiming at the carb wall.
That might explain the flat spot.
Back to the garage,I have a date tonight,DR is the only transport.

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #40581
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,425
I love it ! That's something I would do. Finding creative ways to make something work... better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
. .
I made a new one from the lid of a chinese take out lid.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #40582
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
I love it ! That's something I would do. Finding creative ways to make something work... better.

I wanna know how the takeout was?
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #40583
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Got my new Seat Concepts seat over the weekend. Quality appears to be top notch. I have not installed the cover/foam yet but on initial look it appears the Seat Concepts foam is ~1" lower right in the "valley" up near the seat. I spend a lot of time "up on the tank" offroad and my old knees need all the help they can get when I need to stand up. If you've got a Seat Concepts seat then have you noticed that it appears/feels lower when sitting up near the tank?

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow but wanted to get the general consensus from those in the know.

Thanks!
Mines not any lower front to rear anywhere that I noticed, just wider at the rear.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #40584
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Won't start but will later

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmucker
I was out doing a slow speed follow the leader drill with a buddy today. I stalled my bike and it would not start. Plugs were changed less than 2,000 miles ago and valves were adjusted at that time. We pushed the bike to the top of a hill and then I bump started it while holding in the starter button. The bike started again. It stalled again a few minutes later and would not restart. I towed the bike home and changed the oil since it needed it. I just rode around 2,500 miles round trip from SoCal to Colorado for the MXon and even with a 16 tooth front sprocket, it was a long hard slog for the bike. After I changed the oil, I hit the starter and the bike fired right up. I let it run for a couple of minutes to let the oil warm up and check for leaks. I shut it down and then tried to start it again. No go. After my Colorado adventure, I had put 36 miles on the bike on short trips in the area and before the stall, had run the bike for nearly an hour today with periodic engine stops and restarts. Lots of gas in the tank. Anybody got any ideas?
That's what my bike did... it was the little fuel filter that's in the end of the carb fuel intake. Remove the fuel line and use your finger nail to remove the little white strainer screen and use air to blow out. A soda straw from the tool box works in the field. Replace filter and buy a lawn mower inline fuel filter and install it too. Now you have two filters in a row. NO dirt will get into the carb.

happy riding

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #40585
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
I remember the biggest improvement in fuel consumption resulted when I lowered th needle.
+1 Thump. That needle plays a big role. I'm getting around 4,5l/100kms after dropping one clip to second. That's slightly less than a ten percent improvement in consumption. The bike runs a tad hotter tho'- but not much.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #40586
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
front tire size questions....

I am preparing to put some Shinko E705 on my DR650, am curious if it's possible to "upsize" the front from 90/90 X 21 to something a little bit "fatter".

My bike is bone stock, the ONLY obstacle I can see could be the metal fork boot clamps...which could rotated so the tabs face to the rear.

Has anyone bumped up to a fatter aspect ratio up front?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #40587
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I don't think there is another aspect ratio for the E705 Shinko front. I would not even go there. It won't help anything ... and could get very weird. If you want to run wider tires I would swap over to a 17" front Super Moto set up. But even that can get weird if not set up right. When you do that you are getting into balance, bias and geometry changes. Tricky.

Stick with the 90/90 front. It's hard to believe ... but they perform very well on pavement leaned over to the max. Yes, its a skinny tire but its a light bike. When it slides, its quite predictable and gradual. (this with the 705 which I've got on the front now ... Distanzia rear)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #40588
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
2009 Dr-650

Hello,
2009 DR-650 with 2200 miles. $4695.

Is this a good deal? John
Mariner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #40589
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I don't think there is another aspect ratio for the E705 Shinko front. I would not even go there. It won't help anything ... and could get very weird. If you want to run wider tires I would swap over to a 17" front Super Moto set up. But even that can get weird if not set up right. When you do that you are getting into balance, bias and geometry changes. Tricky.

Stick with the 90/90 front. It's hard to believe ... but they perform very well on pavement leaned over to the max. Yes, its a skinny tire but its a light bike. When it slides, its quite predictable and gradual. (this with the 705 which I've got on the front now ... Distanzia rear)
Good advice, I hadn't considered those implications. Will stick with the OEM sizes. Thx
Old 10-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #40590
MotoZot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner55
Hello,
2009 DR-650 with 2200 miles. $4695.

Is this a good deal? John
I bought a 2009 with 465 miles a couple of weeks ago for $3850. Included skid plate and rack.
MotoZot is offline   Reply With Quote