Oddometer: 19
Hmmm...

1320King screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 04:00 PM
1320King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #41327
advfrk
Grateful ADVer

Oddometer: 712
Today I put the seal back in and used the BLACK gasket making compound around the outside. The black I was told holds up to heat better. Gonna let it sit for 24 hrs and ride the hell out of it tomorrow night. Wish me good thoughts, cause I have a rally this weekend in the Desoto Ntl forest here in Mississippi. Our 2nd annual. Please let it hold! Anyone close by should come its some great riding and we are cooking whole hogs. May the DR gods be with me! Thanks guys for all the help!

Jason
04 Bandit 1200s When I wanna fly
advfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #41328
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,369
Helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320King
Hey guys,here is my 09 DR 650 that I just purchased about 2 weeks ago. It only has 510 miles on it and is very clean. It came with a hitch carrier,helmet and the original seat as well. Previous owner says the rack is one he purchased from the dealer.

Nice bike. Should be clean for only 510miles. Don't mean to burst your bubble but, have you ever heard the expression Secondhand Helmet for a Secondhand Head ? Don't do it !
Sorry, that's just the riding instructor coming out in me.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #41329
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
41,387 posts. It's clear that DR650 owners like to talk about their motorcycle of choice, almost as much as they like riding them.
Here's another chance...
I've started a little project, and I need your help. I'm trying to get a listing for the DR650 in The Bike Specific Index Thread, as it rightly deserves. In doing so, we'll be making info about our favorite subject much more accessible.

I've come up with several different topics that I feel cover most of the important aspects of the DR650SE. For each category, I'm going to start a thread, and ask the collective for what they've found to work best. That's where you come in.

The first three threads are up. CONTROLS/INSTRUMENTATION, SEATS, and
CRASH PROTECTION
. More will follow.

To be clear- I don't want to "steal the thunder" from this thread at all. I check this thread two or three times a day, and really enjoy watching it evolve.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #41330
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
41,387 posts. It's clear that DR650 owners like to talk about their motorcycle of choice, almost as much as they like riding them.
Here's another chance...
I've started a little project, and I need your help. I'm trying to get a listing for the DR650 in The Bike Specific Index Thread, as it rightly deserves. In doing so, we'll be making info about our favorite subject much more accessible.

I've come up with several different topics that I feel cover most of the important aspects of the DR650SE. For each category, I'm going to start a thread, and ask the collective for what they've found to work best. That's where you come in.

The first three threads are up. CONTROLS/INSTRUMENTATION, SEATS, and
CRASH PROTECTION
. More will follow.

To be clear- I don't want to "steal the thunder" from this thread at all. I check this thread two or three times a day, and really enjoy watching it evolve.
As a new DR650 owner, this would be tremendously helpful. I've read this thread for almost a month now and I am nowhere near 1/4 of the way through!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #41331
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Hey guys,here is my 09 DR 650 that I just purchased about 2 weeks ago. It only has 510 miles on it and is very clean. It came with a hitch carrier,helmet and the original seat as well. Previous owner says the rack is one he purchased from the dealer.

Is that your Charger in the background? If so how about popping over to the shiny things forum and posting some pictures and background on it.
SGrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #41332
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:

Hey nice bike. Looks like PO has raised the forks in the yoke to lower front end. Check rear shock to see if it has been lowered also. If you're a taller person you may want to reverse procedure. cheers
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #41333
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson
Nice bike. Should be clean for only 510miles. Don't mean to burst your bubble but, have you ever heard the expression Secondhand Helmet for a Secondhand Head ? Don't do it !
Sorry, that's just the riding instructor coming out in me.
If it's in good condition and fits well...

Sorry, that's just the Scot coming out in me.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #41334
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,136
Some great bike additions lately. Good to see DR's with happy new owners.

Krusty - added some stuff. Like you...not to dilute all I've learned here but I've found this DR specific site handy too. http://drriders.com/

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #41335
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
Snowy, what are we the redheaded step-brothers over here. You post pictures of your's on Most Tricked and not here?

By the way it looks very nice.

SSSHHHHHHH....there's haters here.....

Red headed step brothers......now that's something like what I usually only hear from my mates. Usually in a sentence, like "I'll beat you like a red headed stepson...it's your shout".
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #41336
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
If it's in good condition and fits well...

Sorry, that's just the Scot coming out in me.
yeah but ah... How do you know what the PO has done with it, even if it looks in good condition ? Do you have x-ray eyes ? I am sure the PO isn't going to tell you that he used it as a seat at race meetings, or sat it on the mirrors when refueling the bike and it would have to be a miracle if the PO had exactly the same shape and size head. It's just as bad a lending your helmet to someone, or borrowing someone elses.
Each to their own but I would never see a helmet being thrown in with a deal as being a good deal.

That's just the Brain surgeon coming out in me.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #41337
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
I agree that going with a used helmet is not a smart thing to do, for several reasons.

And, from the looks of the garage the the nice black DR 650 is now lodged in, a new helmet should probably in the cards.

Having said that if a person who has to decide between a used helmet and no helmet, go with the used. Many first time buyers, are extending all of their buying power just to get the bike. I know I did, until someone who was smarter than I, told me he would pay for a helmet rather than see me ride without one, and that was back in 1964.

ATGATT...
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #41338
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Ahh, a helmet debate...

I did a number on my Fox motoX helmet not too long back. Real good face plant, then took a tree stump to the back of the head.

I was surprised that I was still alive when I opened my eyes.

My back hurt real bad, and after struggling to move while I couldn't feel my legs, something made a chiropractor "crack" and all was relatively good again.

The visor was smashed off the helmet and there were some marks on it from the tree stump, but otherwise it looked ok.

When I put it back on after extricating the bike and putting things back together, I noticed it was strangely a very loose fit.

It lives in the garage now as a testament to why I should stay home when there's snow and ice on the mountains here.

You can compress the foam in the helmet in a relatively minor impact. The foam is there to provide decel cushion for your noggin. If it's already compressed you start with less. I'd much rather throw it away and spend the dollars. It did what I paid for.

Much like the BMX helmet I smashed while doing an accidental forward sommersault through a triple jump......but that's a story for another time.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #41339
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Just a little follow up. I bought a used dirt bike from Bud Ekins in 1964. As I was sitting on my first motorcycle, Bud asked if I had a helmet, No. I then got a tap on the side of my head with an end wrench. He said if you fell here it would hurt more than that. He put me into a nice white Bell helmet and said to pay for it as soon as I could.

I did, but it had several marks on it before it was paid off.

For anyone who may not know who Bud was. He did the motorcycle stunts in the Steve McQueen movies, The Great Escape, and Bullet. And he had a great collection of motorcyles. He was a great guy, and is in the AMA Hall of Fame.

YnotJP? screwed with this post 11-03-2010 at 06:06 AM
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #41340
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfrk
Today I put the seal back in and used the BLACK gasket making compound around the outside. The black I was told holds up to heat better. Gonna let it sit for 24 hrs and ride the hell out of it tomorrow night. Wish me good thoughts, cause I have a rally this weekend in the Desoto Ntl forest here in Mississippi. Our 2nd annual. Please let it hold! Anyone close by should come its some great riding and we are cooking whole hogs. May the DR gods be with me! Thanks guys for all the help!

Jason
ooooh ... well I hope it works ... but you really didn't want "gasket maker" ... you wanted an actual adhesive

The 2 Loctite retaining compounds I mentioned.... are good temp wise up to ... I actually can't tremember ... but it seems like it was over 300 degrees (F)

It takes an oxy-acetylene torch to get the parts hot enough to break the bond
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote