It's the weight of their women.
weight of their teeth eh
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #42079
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
atpalmer,
seriously now --Again sorry about your accident, and a ton refers to breaking the 100mph barrier on a motorcycle.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #42080
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Noob Warning..

I just bought a 2006 bone stock DR650. I've got a couple buddies that have been riding the Trans American Trail, as well as plans for the Continental Divide Trail going south to north. After some videos and pics, I had to get in on some of that .

I have ridden 2-strokes all my life. After watching/listening to a bunch of Youtube videos, I didn't care for the sound these 4-strokes make. After buying the bike and riding it home a couple hundred miles, I have to say the sound is even worse in person! lol. Yeah, figure that will rumple some feathers. Hopefully I'll get used to it. A loud popping 2-stroke just isn't going to work well where we plan to ride.

I don't have plans to change up things much. I'm getting the 4.9 gallon IMS tank and removing the chain rollers... a different rear rack and maybe some saddle bags. I looked around trying to find a downloadable manual. I found a link way back on page 5 or 6 of this thread, but it wasn't any good.

For my first official (I guess second really after the manual thing) noob question is... the owner's manual states to throw the foam air filter in a plastic bag with some oil to saturate it. Does this need to be specifically foam oil.. or will just motor oil work?

Here's a pic of the new-to-me ride.

Thanks.

Tod
Trbig67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #42081
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye
yet to see proof of the ton on stock dr650
F.W.I.W. When Cycle world tested the redesigned DR650 way back when, they topped it out at 96mph. (Radar tested)
Given the inaccurate speedometer readings, it's no wonder guys think their DR's can hit a "ton".

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Here's a link to buy that mag if you want some kind of proof.

My airbox has been modified, Carb rejetted and I've added an aftermarket exhaust. Although I changed the gearing to 15-46 she will now get up to an indicated 100mph much faster than stock. Over all, I don't think the top speed has actually changed.

Ps. Tod, I'd use an air filter oil as it captures more dirt than plain oil does.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #42082
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbig67
I don't have plans to change up things much. I'm getting the 4.9 gallon IMS tank and removing the chain rollers... I looked around trying to find a downloadable manual. I found a link way back on page 5 or 6 of this thread, but it wasn't any good.
Just remove the upper chain roller.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #42083
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
We discussed this before, the pre 08 KLR is more than 30 lbs heavier than the DR, the 08+ >45 lbs. I am comparing the most relevant figure - ready to ride, no fuel.
The pre '08 figures are quoted as Dry weight. This "ready to ride" or "Curb weight" trick is fairly new. The KLR650 '08 is quoted this way, as "Curb weight". I haven't found a DR650 test where the bike was measured in this way. Most quotes are either DRY weight or WET weight. Personally, for me, only the WET weight is "relevant".

Listed weights from typical magazine tests:

Dry weight: ('97 to 2007) DR650 324 lbs.
Dry weight: (2006) KLR650: 337 lbs.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...r_650_2006.php

I can quote four or five other sources for this. Guess I was pretty close.

New KLR vs. DR650:
Kawi quotes "Curb weight" of the 2010 KLR650: 432 lbs.
does this include fuel? apparently it does or at least some fuel. Unclear.

My '06 DR650 with IMS tank full (5 U.S. Gallons) is about 390 lbs.
Stock DR650 Wet weight: 367 lbs. (according to MCN US) I've got a lot of tools, tire irons, skid plate, barkbusters and such ... all adds weight.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...r_650_2010.php
This test shows 432 lbs. as WET weight. So who knows? If 432 lbs. is Dry weight ... then you add 6 U.S. gallons of fuel, that pushes it up to about
474 lbs. Pretty hefty if accurate. (I don't believe it ... having actually ridden the bike ... a week ago)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #42084
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpalmer
That's exactly what i was planning to do. until THIS happened the following morning.
Man, that's serious. Sorry to hear it. Hope the Docs get you fixed up ... took 6 operations on my compound Tibia to get it right. If you need the names of good Ortho Docs in LA area let me know. I know some really good ones who get it right the first time. (SoCal Orthopedic Institute .... Van Nuys) Trust me on this: Not all Docs are created equal! Good healing! After the healing PT is really critical . Best!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #42085
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
I just bought a 2006 bone stock DR650. I've got a couple buddies that have been riding the Trans American Trail, as well as plans for the Continental Divide Trail going south to north. After some videos and pics, I had to get in on some of that .

I have ridden 2-strokes all my life. After watching/listening to a bunch of Youtube videos, I didn't care for the sound these 4-strokes make. After buying the bike and riding it home a couple hundred miles, I have to say the sound is even worse in person! lol. Yeah, figure that will rumple some feathers. Hopefully I'll get used to it. A loud popping 2-stroke just isn't going to work well where we plan to ride.

I don't have plans to change up things much. I'm getting the 4.9 gallon IMS tank and removing the chain rollers... a different rear rack and maybe some saddle bags. I looked around trying to find a downloadable manual. I found a link way back on page 5 or 6 of this thread, but it wasn't any good.

For my first official (I guess second really after the manual thing) noob question is... the owner's manual states to throw the foam air filter in a plastic bag with some oil to saturate it. Does this need to be specifically foam oil.. or will just motor oil work?

Here's a pic of the new-to-me ride. Tod
Congrats on the new ride. Keep in mind, 4 strokes are always louder than 2 strokes. In the woods, 2 stroke sound fades immediately. Not so 4 strokes.
Now add some Ass hat with a Big Dog, Pro Circuit, FMF or wide open Yoshi or whatever ... you'll hear that bastard for miles. Not good.

The GSXR pipe is the way to go if you want lighter with a nice sound. Its' not too loud, its Titanium and never needs repacking like every two stroke muffler you ever had. (B enduro rider, YZ250's for 8 years).

Just like your two stroke, the sticky Foam Filter oil is best. Use sparingly.
And don't forget the little crankcase vent filter up in front of the battery.
Keep clean.

Best mods for the DR are suspension related. Once you get that sorted its a pretty nice bike to ride.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #42086
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
skid plate/engine protection, better seat, alum. bars & bigger tank would be my starting mods for tat & cdr stuff. suspension work will provide a nice bang for the bump, but these things are necesities for that where as suspension work is not imo.

#1 mod should be a skid plate while you get use to riding the bike in dirt. one bad rock against an un protected engine will ruin the whole package.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
http://www.kientech.com/DR650ProdList.htm

next remove the upper chain roller and put silicone or a flush mounted stop nut in there.

you've got a nice workable rear rack so you could get a dry duffle for that and use giant loop coyote bag on the rear of the seat for luggage.

Quote:

Here's a pic of the new-to-me ride.

Thanks.

Tod
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 12:27 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #42087
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer

"Just remove the upper chain roller."

I've read in some places to take them BOTH off as they are useless. The bottom one is chewed up a bit anyway.

And yeah, forgot to add the skidplate. That is/was on the list, just forgot to mention it.

Thanks for the filter oil tips. Like I said, the owner's manual doesn't specify. The seat.. ummm... yeah. Can't afford that right now, but I rode the bike home a little over 200 miles and I believe this seat to be the third most comfortable marble slab I've ever sat on.

This one has a 15 tooth front sprocket. It feels like it lugs the engine a bit on the highway at anything under @ 60mph. (In 5th gear) Gonna get a 14t and see how that works. We plan on being a fairly slow going group anyway and that would/should help on the hill climbing.

As far as speed, I was on the turnpike last night. I was on a bit of a downhill grade, but not like a big hill or anything. I tucked down by the tank to get out of the wind a bit and ran the speedo up to 100 pretty easily. It was still slowly climbing. Later in the ride, I checked the speedo against my GPS, and it was @ 5mp off at 70.. meaning at registering 75 on the speedo, I was actually doing 70. I figure it may have been as much as 10mph off at 100, but it still felt like it wouldn't have had a problem hitting that true 100 either.

That being said... who cares? You want a fast street bike, get one, 'cause these ain't them! I bought this for offroad riding and 100mph even on good logging roads would be few and far between for me with all the wildlife out there. Trails.. forget it. I've got a street bike that I can get my "Need for speed" fix from. This is my fun bike.

Tod

Trbig67 screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 01:24 PM
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #42088
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
The pre '08 figures are quoted as Dry weight. This "ready to ride" or "Curb weight" trick is fairly new. The KLR650 '08 is quoted this way, as "Curb weight". I haven't found a DR650 test where the bike was measured in this way. Most quotes are either DRY weight or WET weight. Personally, for me, only the WET weight is "relevant".

Listed weights from typical magazine tests:

Dry weight: ('97 to 2007) DR650 324 lbs.
Dry weight: (2006) KLR650: 337 lbs.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...r_650_2006.php

I can quote four or five other sources for this. Guess I was pretty close.

New KLR vs. DR650:
Kawi quotes "Curb weight" of the 2010 KLR650: 432 lbs.
does this include fuel? apparently it does or at least some fuel. Unclear.

My '06 DR650 with IMS tank full (5 U.S. Gallons) is about 390 lbs.
Stock DR650 Wet weight: 367 lbs. (according to MCN US) I've got a lot of tools, tire irons, skid plate, barkbusters and such ... all adds weight.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...r_650_2010.php
This test shows 432 lbs. as WET weight. So who knows? If 432 lbs. is Dry weight ... then you add 6 U.S. gallons of fuel, that pushes it up to about
474 lbs. Pretty hefty if accurate. (I don't believe it ... having actually ridden the bike ... a week ago)
As I said, dry weight is completely irrelevant, regardless if it comes from the manufacturer or a magazine test. Wet weight with fuel is also not really comparable given that they use about the same amount of fuel but have very different capacities.

The figures I quoted are the ones most comparable - ready to ride, no fuel. If you do some research you will find that you were wrong, unless you consider an additional >30 lbs even for the pre 08 KLR "just a few lbs more".

Our DRs are already pretty heavy but that bike really is a pig, just like the Tenere and the F650.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #42089
mx_rob
Well enough isn't

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
"Just remove the upper chain roller."

I've read in some places to take them BOTH off as they are useless. The bottom one is chewed up a bit anyway.
Do not omit the bottom one... replace it with a aftermarket roller with sealed bearings like Procycle or Jesse sells. You will end up with chain guide issues and a very loose chain at full suspension extension if you remove the bottom roller. If you attempt to adjust your chain "to specs" without the lower roller in place your chain will be way too tight when the center lines of the CS sprocket, swing arm pivot and rear axle are lined up.
mx_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #42090
Trbig67
Gnarly Adventurer

This was one of the places I'd read it...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=5 Down at the bottom.. #7.

Also, on the 14t front sprocket, it says on Procycle.us that a 14t will hit the stock sprocket retainer plate. Is this true with all sprockets or just certain types? They make a replacement plate but didn't know if it would be needed.