Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #43936
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Someone talk sense into me. First off, I LOVE my DR. I love it so much that I want it to be all it can be. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on about $1500 worth of upgrades for for a bike that I already have about $2500 in. And all I can think of is that a nice fast used $3500 KTM will still be a better performing and faster all around bike. How do you guys who go "all out" on the DR reconcile this with yourselves? I get the passion vs dollars argument but (to me at least) it's not a small sum. And yeah I've been on the orange bike and I think it'd grow on me. But the DR is so darn.. I don't know... grrrrr.... dammit.
Dude,

Read your own sig line

When I die, show no pity, send my soul to Juggalo City.
Dig my grave six feet deep and put two Sidi's on my feet.
Put some leather over my chest and tell my family I did my best!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #43937
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJincs View Post
Dude,

Read your own sig line

True. But regret has many mothers..
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #43938
Josh_TN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Someone talk sense into me. First off, I LOVE my DR. I love it so much that I want it to be all it can be. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on about $1500 worth of upgrades for for a bike that I already have about $2500 in. And all I can think of is that a nice fast used $3500 KTM will still be a better performing and faster all around bike. How do you guys who go "all out" on the DR reconcile this with yourselves? I get the passion vs dollars argument but (to me at least) it's not a small sum. And yeah I've been on the orange bike and I think it'd grow on me. But the DR is so darn.. I don't know... grrrrr.... dammit.

DR is great as a do everything bike. But honestly if I had the money I would get a trail only bike, and keep my DR for everything else. I don't have the extra funds, so my DR is my trail bike. It gets me out there and back so no complaints. But as great as the DR can be if you go crazy on the suspension and all, it still is a big bike.

Choose wisely my son!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Josh_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #43939
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Me too. I'm almost afraid because the price is so low.
i've used thos pegs on 3 bikes over the last 6 yrs. never an issue what so ever.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #43940
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
There's lots of different ways to justify the dollars. For me I get as much enjoyment out of doing the mods as I do riding the bike. And I do have a nice fast KTM that hasn't been ridden in many months. I just plain have more fun riding the DR. Fun is what it's all about right?
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #43941
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
There's lots of different ways to justify the dollars. For me I get as much enjoyment out of doing the mods as I do riding the bike. And I do have a nice fast KTM that hasn't been ridden in many months. I just plain have more fun riding the DR. Fun is what it's all about right?
I trust Japanese bikes a lot more than the Orange Crush!
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #43942
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Me too. I'm almost afraid because the price is so low.
I just put a set on my new-to-me DR. I've had them on my KLR and Wee for over a year. I was skeptical at first but several others had good results from them. So far no problems. They send out discount codes,I got the DRs for $10.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #43943
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
First ride the thing as hard and fast as you can then ask yourself what is really lacking ? You may find that it will do most all you want it too as is.

Upgrades are great but a lot of that for me included really feeds that part of me that is a hopelss tinkerer. Why dump a pile all at once, prioritize and peck away one at a time. You may well find you stop short of the $1500.00 mark at the time.

I struggled with wanting to upgrade my front fork when I had it apart but when I gave some serious thought I realized I've hit some gnarly stuff at some fast speeds and the fork did'nt bottom or do anything scary so passed on the mods for now.

Most bikes never stay stock and we all need feed our hobbies to get that warm fuzzy feeling and most of us have a bike, car or truck we've dumped too much money in so whatever you chose have fun with it.
Arc 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #43944
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:

I would recommend buying a good used KTM (or Husaberg) and try it for awhile. Just don't sell the DR. Then if you don't like the KTM you can always sell it again and then dump the money into the DR. Or keep both and slowly upgrade the DR. You will never get the KTM to fill the DR's shoe's on-road or be as low maintenance and reliable. Just my .02.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #43945
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163
Progress is slow on my RMZ fork swap, but it's winter here anyway so there's no great rush.

I've decided to put new seals in the RMZ forks and I also ordered new steering stem bearings for good measure. Those parts arrived a few days ago. Hopefully I will get these 2 things done over the weekend.

Yesterday, I yanked the rear shock and sent if off to Cogent for a full spa treatment.

And today I bought a Vapor unit (along with a bunch of accessories) from a friend who bought it for his XRL but never installed it. Been sitting in his basement since last summer. All brand new, and I paid $75 for the lot, but then it cost me another $20 for shipping. Still, a bargain I figure.

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF

thumpididump screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 07:34 PM
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #43946
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Decisions

I recently sold my WR450 with about $2000 in mods. It was a land missile and I loved it. I just found myself riding my DR more and I'm not doing as much deep sand riding as I used to, so off it went. I've taken my DR on some pretty knarly stuff and it will do anything I've aimed it at. Admittedly not the premier deep sand weapon, it did fine.

I'm a little more tired at the end of a long, hard ride but still have a huge smile on my face. Much more road worthy, too. If you have any doubts, throw it into the fray and see how it reacts (as mentioned).

Best of luck with the decision.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #43947
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
I am not the one to talk sense into you, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.

First, I am one of the few around here who argues that aside from a few bolt ons the DR is adequate for average dual sport use straight off the show room floor. That would mean adding a bash plate and, minimally, the OEM luggage rack. And it would mean leaving the suspension and carburetion/airbox stock.

Beyond that, anything that is done to the bike is because someone wants to tweak and fine tune it, personalize it, or maximize it. And for those of us who like to tinker, experiment, and improvise, the DR presents a great inexpensive platform to work with. And that is not to forget it is just a rock solid reliable bike that will take a bunch of abuse and keep on running.

So double-minded scoundrel that I am, here is what I've done to mine --

SW-Mototech bash plate, SW-Mototech center stand, Barkbuster handguards, pull type choke, Pro-billet 1” handlebar risers, Pro-billet wide foot-pegs, removed upper chain roller, 14-t counter-sprocket w/Jesse clip, Suzuki tail rack, pulled snorkel, disabled clutch switch, Happy-Trail racks for soft bags, Wolfman Summit saddlebags, Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Sargeant lo-seat, Eibach front and rear, 12v accessory plug.

For a time I had installed a Dynajet Kit and cut the airbox but I later pulled it and went back to stock on the fuel/air delivery.

I haven't added it up, but I may have 1/2 or 2/3's what I paid for the bike in the add-ons.

Go for it!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #43948
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163
Been patiently waiting for an update on this... What's the story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post
Here you guys, maybe this will change the subject

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #43949
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Well I've already done a lot of "the usuals" DJ kit, FMF, Bars, 520 chain, etc... What I'm wanting to do is Pumper carb, the lace it yourself motard rims (I have a spare set of stock rims already) and since my gasket is leaking anyway some version of the performance top end kit. I'd like to go big bore but I'll probably go with the Hi-comp piston and cam. the bike runs great now but I would like a little more versatility and pop out of it. I know a KTM won't come with 2 sets of wheels but it does have that wood inducing motor... recent pic... I'm totally conflicted on this. Wish I'd win the lotto so I'd just buy them both... uggh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I am not the one to talk sense into you, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.

First, I am one of the few around here who argues that aside from a few bolt ons the DR is adequate for average dual sport use straight off the show room floor. That would mean adding a bash plate and, minimally, the OEM luggage rack. And it would mean leaving the suspension and carburetion/airbox stock.

Beyond that, anything that is done to the bike is because someone wants to tweak and fine tune it, personalize it, or maximize it. And for those of us who like to tinker, experiment, and improvise, the DR presents a great inexpensive platform to work with. And that is not to forget it is just a rock solid reliable bike that will take a bunch of abuse and keep on running.

So double-minded scoundrel that I am, here is what I've done to mine --

SW-Mototech bash plate, SW-Mototech center stand, Barkbuster handguards, pull type choke, Pro-billet 1” handlebar risers, Pro-billet wide foot-pegs, removed upper chain roller, 14-t counter-sprocket w/Jesse clip, Suzuki tail rack, pulled snorkel, disabled clutch switch, Happy-Trail racks for soft bags, Wolfman Summit saddlebags, Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Sargeant lo-seat, Eibach front and rear, 12v accessory plug.

For a time I had installed a Dynajet Kit and cut the airbox but I later pulled it and went back to stock on the fuel/air delivery.

I haven't added it up, but I may have 1/2 or 2/3's what I paid for the bike in the add-ons.

Go for it!
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #43950
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
You can buy a DR for 2500 Notes? Count yourself lucky.

In NZ we have to shell out $10K for a new DR, $5-6k for a 5 year old one. My 45,000 mile 950 was a bargain at $10,500K.

It may be a different currency with a different value but when your earning the same currency as your spending it's still 10,000 notes.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote