Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #44026
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i saw that but wonder how strong it is. all i see are 2 forward side mounts and the center one. it looks like w/ any weight the rear will sag bending the center mount. no bueno.
let us know!

when i think of a rear rack, i'm looking for serious weight caryying capacity as the subframe can handle it. i'm talking about a dry duffel with tent, pad, sleeping bag and more.

Will do.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #44027
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
I've had the JC Whitney tail box on my first DR and took it off for two reasons, one was it had to be packed full or everything rattled and beat the crap what ever was packed in there. The final straw was when going down a steep and rough down hill I was standing on the pegs with my weight shifted rearwards and the tail trunk smacked me on the tail bone.
yeah hard rear boxes and off-road do not go together. there is a reason why guys who use hard side bags still use soft dry duffels on the rear.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #44028
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
yeah hard rear boxes and off-road do not go together. there is a reason why guys who use hard side bags still use soft dry duffels on the rear.
I won't use hard bags that don't come off in a crash, too many friends and friends of friends over the years have broken a leg because of them. I know if you keep your feet on the pegs and ride the crash to the ground you shouldn't get hurt. I just have perfected that yet.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #44029
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
it's pretty hard to get some decent luggage w/o spending $200+
even if you use cheapy soft sidebags (are they waterproof? bring trashbags) you still need to buy some side kinda of racks or you'll melt the bags and/or the side cover on the muffler.
even getting a cheap dry duffel for everything requires some kind of a rack to support it...............
TOO MANY CHOICES OUT THERE! Hard bags, soft bags, loop bags! ARGH!
I like the idea of Aluminum panniers because I could attach a couple of roto-pax and not need to buy a bigger tank. I like the Pelicans because they are probably the strongest thing out there. I like the soft luggage because I am a cheap SOB. The GL would be great because I could move it from bike to bike. Oh well, these things have a way of sorting themselves out... usually in the form of a can't pass it up bargain sale. Sure do appreciate all the good info here on ADV rider.
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #44030
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,347
Lucky Buggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat...bought an 09 bike new Feb. of 2010 $5000 out the door...spent about $1200 with pro cycle (Thanks Jeff!!) another $300 on saddle bags/mounts, some other odds and ends...so call it $7000. I will have had the bike a year next month and have around 9000 miles on it! The best money I ever spent on a motorcycle. I like it so much I plan on selling my street bike. I might spend some more at Cognet when I can but all in all you can't have that much fun for $7000 and have the bike JUST THE WAY YOU WANT IT!

I say spend the money...who needs electricity in the house!

Are you kidding me ?? About $9000 on the road for a new DR650 here in Aus and considering the AUS/US dollar is hovering around parity, you guys are well ahead. Even with the range of gear you have at your doorstep through Procycle and Keintech makes me wonder why everyone over there doesn't ride a DR650. make the most of it and farkle your little hearts away-Enjoy

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #44031
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
anyone use the happy trails k9 fork brace on their dr?
had an eagle mike (like the k9) one on my klr and it helped alot but those klr forks are noodles. wondering what the effect is on the dr??? does it hit the fender on compression?

i've got intiminators and upgraded springs in there (i'm the guy that wrote the install post) so i'm happy with that, but what about stiffness increase? there are no USD forks but do the braces make a diff???

some talk about the brace making the dr more stable at speed/wind but i have an acerbis ktm front fender and i have none of those issues.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/...HTP_4-8-9.aspx

i like the k9 design as it adjust for slight fork width variances unlike the superbrace one that is fixed.
i would propoerly align the forks before i add the brace.
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product...Alignment_Tool
plus i would use the shorty style neoprene seal saves vrs the squished up oem slider guards.
I like fork braces - I have one (the K-9) on my DR and one each on my ZRX1100 and DL1000 - only mey ZX6 is without one. I find the brace enhances front end feel under heavy braking, hard cornering and trail braking (all on pavement).

I have the Intiminators, and a Wilburs rear shock on the DR. Everytime I add something to one end the other end seems to suffer. So having just added the Wilburs, now I'm thinking of stiffer, non-progressive springs in the forks. Actually, the springs are in my den, just need to put them in!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #44032
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
it's pretty hard to get some decent luggage w/o spending $200+
I already owned the Helen Two Wheel's duffel ($75) and the yellow kayak bag ($30) when I suffered the brain phart and got into this dual sport thing.

Counting shipping I have right at $450 in the following:
- Happy Trails racks for soft bags
- Wolfman Summit Saddlebags
- Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag
- Generic ATV Panniers

And since the bike does not come with one from the factory I suppose it would be appropriate to include the Suzuki tail rack. Tack on another $80.

That comes to a total of $635 for luggage and storage.

No doubt there are less expensive ways to do it but for my purposes having tough, tested equipment was worth it the ride.

PS: the hat was not included in that total.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #44033
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I already owned the Helen Two Wheel's duffel ($75) and the yellow kayak bag ($30) when I suffered the brain phart and got into this dual sport thing.

- Generic ATV Panniers

And since the bike does not come with one from the factory I suppose it would be appropriate to include the Suzuki tail rack. Tack on another $80.

No doubt there are less expensive ways to do it but for my purposes having tough, tested equipment was worth it the ride.

I have a tail rack $120, Ortlieb dry duffle $85, Ebay soft saddle bag supports-$90- bought on flea market from inmate, Cortech soft saddle bags $40- bought used from local motorcycle store. I just recently added a med sized Pelican case $40 that I made a mount for my tail rack. Works good for commuting if you need to lock up wallet phone or gps.

So I have a total of $375 including my Pelican case. Not too shabby I don't think.

If any of you guys have local MC dealers check them for luggage. I walked in and asked if they had had any bikes traded that still had saddle bags. They looked in a closet and found a pair of cortech sport saddles that looke dbrand new. All straps included. Gave them $40 cash and had some new luggage!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #44034
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
I won't use hard bags that don't come off in a crash, too many friends and friends of friends over the years have broken a leg because of them. I know if you keep your feet on the pegs and ride the crash to the ground you shouldn't get hurt. I just have perfected that yet.
agreed. that's why i'm big fan of giantloop on the dr.
i do have pelicans on my strom but use a dry duffel on the rear.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #44035
eakins
Butler Maps

wow. i like to travel light compared to you.
not a fan of all the extra weight, so i leave alot at home.

Quote:

- Generic ATV Panniers

Butler Maps website:
Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #44036
bmwroadrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
DR650 Cracked engine case

I bought a 2000 DR650 in Santiago a couple of weeks ago (At least I think that is the year). In any event the boss that holds one of the starter gears cracked off both on the valve cover, and on the engine block. I am trying to source parts from the states off ebay as I write this.

Here is the current situation. For aproximatley $70 a motorcycle shop in Talca can disaasemble and reassemble the motor provided I supply a set of Gaskets. Once disaasembled I can then take the left side engine case to a welding shop where they can repair the broekn boss.

I know this solution would not be as good as getting brand new cases but it is far chepaer, and less time consuming. If I did this, I would also plan on doing the torque limiting Starter clutch mod. Can anyone explain to me exactly what this is and how it is done. From what I could gleam on the internet an extra, back torque limiting gear, is added to the two gears of the starter clutch mechanism on a 1998-1999 and some 2000 models. Is this simply a drop in item or do other components need to be modified?

Any advice would be appreciated
bmwroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #44037
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadrider View Post
I bought a 2000 DR650 in Santiago a couple of weeks ago (At least I think that is the year). In any event the boss that holds one of the starter gears cracked off both on the valve cover, and on the engine block. I am trying to source parts from the states off ebay as I write this.

Here is the current situation. For aproximatley $70 a motorcycle shop in Talca can disaasemble and reassemble the motor provided I supply a set of Gaskets. Once disaasembled I can then take the left side engine case to a welding shop where they can repair the broekn boss.

I know this solution would not be as good as getting brand new cases but it is far chepaer, and less time consuming. If I did this, I would also plan on doing the torque limiting Starter clutch mod. Can anyone explain to me exactly what this is and how it is done. From what I could gleam on the internet an extra, back torque limiting gear, is added to the two gears of the starter clutch mechanism on a 1998-1999 and some 2000 models. Is this simply a drop in item or do other components need to be modified?

Call Kientech or Procycle. They are both very knowledgeable and have more experiance with the DR than any other single source out there IMO.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #44038
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadrider View Post

I don't think I have heard of many people getting the bosses welded successfully. It is definitely a way cheaper option however so you don't have much too lose by trying it out.

The "mod" just means you change the parts to the newer/older ones, they will drop right in. IIRC it's the starter limiter, a toothed gear, a pin, and two bushings with washers. The Kientech site has a pic but is not complete.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #44039
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:

- Generic ATV Panniers

How much for the Rocking Chair? Do they make a larger version?
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #44040
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Even with the range of gear you have at your doorstep through Procycle and Keintech makes me wonder why everyone over there doesn't ride a DR650. make the most of it and farkle your little hearts away-Enjoy

Many of us don't realize the potential and enjoyment you can get with the DR....Heck, it took me YEARS before I even concidered a dual sport bike. Rode cruisers, sport bikes and just in the past year got into the dual sports. I think many americans can't get over having the biggest, shiniest hot rod out there. I know I wont ever look back!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote