Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #44866
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS View Post
The bolt / nut combo I started with (similar to what most people have used) didn't work - the nuts kept backing off the bolt. If I had permanent threadlocker around I probably would have just used that.
I'm unsure if this is a question or not....so.....

I had the same problem with the nuts backing off on my homemade tool. I crossdrilled the nut & bolt and jammed a nail in the hole to "pin" the two together.

If it wasn't a question.....my typing wasn't an answer...

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #44867
ohiofathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

Maybe in a few years I could get ... one of those 200cc things with the really fat tires on it....that should be safe....
Yep, a TW200 is the ultimate "low and slow, plonk around in the dirt" bike. Put a knobby on the front and an ATV tire on the rear.
ohiofathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #44868
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Question 140 Rear Tire?

Quick question: Can the stock DR rear rim and swing arm take a 140 tire?

I'm currently using 130's but am heading to Europe and the Heidenau K60 Scout 140/80/17 looks like a really good tire for me. The 130 profile is a different tread and construction.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #44869
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
I await the arrival of my new TU250.
I should stay out of trouble on that bike!
They can be adv-erized quite well too
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #44870
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
I am quite sad that my dirt riding days seem to be over.
It was not a bad fall, low speed high side into the next whoop, something that could happen at any time to almost anyone, but the damage was great.
The doctor I have now said I was lucky to have lived.

Maybe in a few years I could get an old 250 dual sport, or one of those 200cc things with the really fat tires on it....that should be safe....

I'm saddened to read that. I got an E-Ticket ride though I don't remember it. Lady turn left in front of me while I was doing 65 mph at an intersection that said no left turn. Of course she didn't see me or the sign. I came to in the emergency room 4 or 5 hours later only to have the Doctor say "oh there you are we didn't know which way you were going to go" . That was over 30 years ago and I still watch out for left turning cagers but at 54 I'm still riding. I hope you work thru our own personal demons and if not riding is the best choice for you, so be it, but fear of getting hurt should only temper your ride not end it IMHO.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #44871
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I am only giving up dirt riding.
Maybe I will get some 250 dual sport in the future, or try dual sport tires on the TU.
No more big heavy tall powerful dual sports for me though...

It really is easy to get hurt on something like the dr650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
I'm saddened to read that. I got an E-Ticket ride though I don't remember it. Lady turn left in front of me while I was doing 65 mph at an intersection that said no left turn. Of course she didn't see me or the sign. I came to in the emergency room 4 or 5 hours later only to have the Doctor say "oh there you are we didn't know which way you were going to go" . That was over 30 years ago and I still watch out for left turning cagers but at 54 I'm still riding. I hope you work thru our own personal demons and if not riding is the best choice for you, so be it, but fear of getting hurt should only temper your ride not end it IMHO.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #44872
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,839
Quote:

It really is easy to get hurt on something like the dr650.
It's in the wrist action.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #44873
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Quick question: Can the stock DR rear rim and swing arm take a 140 tire?
Yep, no problem.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #44874
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
I had the Vroom when I was a kid. I am old. Today I finished my DR650. Supertrapp exhaust, new chain and highway sprockets, new black plastics w/ supermoto fender. Moose chain roller and luggage rack, tinted windshield, spark plugs. Everything went smooth until I got to the windshield. For some it might not be tough but I had big issues getting it on there right. Well, It's there and this is what it looks like.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #44875
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I'm unsure if this is a question or not....so.....

I had the same problem with the nuts backing off on my homemade tool. I crossdrilled the nut & bolt and jammed a nail in the hole to "pin" the two together.

If it wasn't a question.....my typing wasn't an answer...
It was not a question, but that's definitely another solution.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #44876
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,349
Nsu

After a weeks holiday in Perth (without bike), I had too much time to think about things and I have been worried about my NSU screws for a while now, having never checked them. With all of the horror stories here about them, I decided that I should bite the bullet and have a look.

30,000 kms on clock.

Clutch cover came away cleanly with just a tap with a rubber mallet. Gasket was nice and clean and looked as though I could re-use it, as it came off cleanly with gasket still attached to the clutch cover.

I decided that I would do the job properly and seeing as I didn't have the right tool to get to the NSU screw under the clutch, I pulled the clutch.
A very easy job, just make sure when you do, that you keep everything in the order that they came off. Chock the rear wheel (in gear) to remove the large nut holding the basket in place, but dont do what I did, and that was to shove a block of timber through the spokes of rear wheel and the swingarm, because I broke a spoke...idiot!

The NSU screws were not loose but needed very little pressure to undo.

I just cleaned them up, added some medium strength loctite to threads and reinserted them and tightened. (I felt lockwiring them was overkill)

Refitted all removed components , with 4 x clutch spring bolts set at 10nm. Fitted new magnetic sump bolt plug from Procycle along with 2300ml (approx) of Motul 4T 5100 10W 50 synthetic ester and a new filter.

Careful doing up clutch cover bolts as they are very soft- I had the torque wrench set incorrectly and broke one. Had to remove clutch cover again (before I filled with oil), drill into remaining bolt and use an easy out to get it out. Luckily, one of the sprocket cover bolts was exactly the same type and length, so I replaced it with that. This time only torquing the bolts to 11nm as stated in workshop manual-all good no leaks.

I can now sleep at night.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #44877
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yep, no problem.
Sweet. Thx Jeff

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #44878
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I had the Vroom when I was a kid. I am old. Today I finished my DR650. Supertrapp exhaust, new chain and highway sprockets, new black plastics w/ supermoto fender. Moose chain roller and luggage rack, tinted windshield, spark plugs. Everything went smooth until I got to the windshield. For some it might not be tough but I had big issues getting it on there right. Well, It's there and this is what it looks like.
I never used to care for yellow on the DR (even if they are faster). That is, until I saw this pic-the yellow and black look awesome! I should change my plastic...my other toy is a Can-Am Renegade with a similar color combo. Would make a great pair in the shop.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #44879
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
Thanks for the compliment. The white plastic on my bike was torn up and I didn't like the color combo. The black looks better, I think. $350 for the two fenders, two sidecovers and headlight shroud. Also, tomorrow I am putting better handguards and am awaiting delivery of a gel seat.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #44880
PAL
Aussie ADVrider

Oddometer: 72
Latest pic of my DR.