Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #44866
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Quick question: Can the stock DR rear rim and swing arm take a 140 tire?
Yep, no problem.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #44867
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
I had the Vroom when I was a kid. I am old. Today I finished my DR650. Supertrapp exhaust, new chain and highway sprockets, new black plastics w/ supermoto fender. Moose chain roller and luggage rack, tinted windshield, spark plugs. Everything went smooth until I got to the windshield. For some it might not be tough but I had big issues getting it on there right. Well, It's there and this is what it looks like.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #44868
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I'm unsure if this is a question or not....so.....

I had the same problem with the nuts backing off on my homemade tool. I crossdrilled the nut & bolt and jammed a nail in the hole to "pin" the two together.

If it wasn't a question.....my typing wasn't an answer...
It was not a question, but that's definitely another solution.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #44869
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,617
Nsu

After a weeks holiday in Perth (without bike), I had too much time to think about things and I have been worried about my NSU screws for a while now, having never checked them. With all of the horror stories here about them, I decided that I should bite the bullet and have a look.

30,000 kms on clock.

Clutch cover came away cleanly with just a tap with a rubber mallet. Gasket was nice and clean and looked as though I could re-use it, as it came off cleanly with gasket still attached to the clutch cover.

I decided that I would do the job properly and seeing as I didn't have the right tool to get to the NSU screw under the clutch, I pulled the clutch.
A very easy job, just make sure when you do, that you keep everything in the order that they came off. Chock the rear wheel (in gear) to remove the large nut holding the basket in place, but dont do what I did, and that was to shove a block of timber through the spokes of rear wheel and the swingarm, because I broke a spoke...idiot!

The NSU screws were not loose but needed very little pressure to undo.

I just cleaned them up, added some medium strength loctite to threads and reinserted them and tightened. (I felt lockwiring them was overkill)

Refitted all removed components , with 4 x clutch spring bolts set at 10nm. Fitted new magnetic sump bolt plug from Procycle along with 2300ml (approx) of Motul 4T 5100 10W 50 synthetic ester and a new filter.

Careful doing up clutch cover bolts as they are very soft- I had the torque wrench set incorrectly and broke one. Had to remove clutch cover again (before I filled with oil), drill into remaining bolt and use an easy out to get it out. Luckily, one of the sprocket cover bolts was exactly the same type and length, so I replaced it with that. This time only torquing the bolts to 11nm as stated in workshop manual-all good no leaks.

I can now sleep at night.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #44870
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yep, no problem.
Sweet. Thx Jeff

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #44871
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I had the Vroom when I was a kid. I am old. Today I finished my DR650. Supertrapp exhaust, new chain and highway sprockets, new black plastics w/ supermoto fender. Moose chain roller and luggage rack, tinted windshield, spark plugs. Everything went smooth until I got to the windshield. For some it might not be tough but I had big issues getting it on there right. Well, It's there and this is what it looks like.
I never used to care for yellow on the DR (even if they are faster). That is, until I saw this pic-the yellow and black look awesome! I should change my plastic...my other toy is a Can-Am Renegade with a similar color combo. Would make a great pair in the shop.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #44872
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
Thanks for the compliment. The white plastic on my bike was torn up and I didn't like the color combo. The black looks better, I think. $350 for the two fenders, two sidecovers and headlight shroud. Also, tomorrow I am putting better handguards and am awaiting delivery of a gel seat.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #44873
PAL
Aussie ADVrider

Oddometer: 72
Latest pic of my DR.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #44874
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
NJ-Brett

We'll miss you, Brett.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I sold my DR today.
$1600.00, a little money for a lot of fun!
I told the guy to hang out here, and about procycle and seat concepts...

I sure wish I had gotten a dr when I was younger and not as fragile, it sure was a blast!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #44875
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
kezzajohnson

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I'll be fixing this Achilles Heel at my next oil change and will re-read this post, along with several others.

I had a thought about securing the screws that I'll look into when I have access to the NSU. I've purchased replacement hex-head screws; I don't have a drill press, and wonder how many bits I'll break drilling holes for security wire in the heads. I do have a piece of sheetmetal and tin snips. So I'm going to look into cutting out a strip of sheetmetal in the shape of the NSU, that extends over the NSU, with holes for the NSU screws, and then after installing the locktited screws, bend up a tab of sheetmetal against a hex flat on each screw.

Or Plan B may be to cut two smaller strips, one for each screw, to bend up against a screw hex flat and down against one of the two flat areas of the NSU - bottom on the left, top on the right.

I'm aware this is like a guy wearing suspenders AND a belt, however I like to sleep well at night.

I'm open to hearing any problems I may encounter with this idea.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
After a weeks holiday in Perth (without bike), I had too much time to think about things and I have been worried about my NSU screws for a while now, having never checked them. With all of the horror stories here about them, I decided that I should bite the bullet and have a look.

30,000 kms on clock.

Clutch cover came away cleanly with just a tap with a rubber mallet. Gasket was nice and clean and looked as though I could re-use it, as it came off cleanly with gasket still attached to the clutch cover.

I decided that I would do the job properly and seeing as I didn't have the right tool to get to the NSU screw under the clutch, I pulled the clutch.
A very easy job, just make sure when you do, that you keep everything in the order that they came off. Chock the rear wheel (in gear) to remove the large nut holding the basket in place, but dont do what I did, and that was to shove a block of timber through the spokes of rear wheel and the swingarm, because I broke a spoke...idiot!

The NSU screws were not loose but needed very little pressure to undo.

I just cleaned them up, added some medium strength loctite to threads and reinserted them and tightened. (I felt lockwiring them was overkill)

Refitted all removed components , with 4 x clutch spring bolts set at 10nm. Fitted new magnetic sump bolt plug from Procycle along with 2300ml (approx) of Motul 4T 5100 10W 50 synthetic ester and a new filter.

Careful doing up clutch cover bolts as they are very soft- I had the torque wrench set incorrectly and broke one. Had to remove clutch cover again (before I filled with oil), drill into remaining bolt and use an easy out to get it out. Luckily, one of the sprocket cover bolts was exactly the same type and length, so I replaced it with that. This time only torquing the bolts to 11nm as stated in workshop manual-all good no leaks.

I can now sleep at night.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #44876
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Quick question: Can the stock DR rear rim and swing arm take a 140 tire?

I'm currently using 130's but am heading to Europe and the Heidenau K60 Scout 140/80/17 looks like a really good tire for me. The 130 profile is a different tread and construction.
Jay,
Clearance wise you should be fine with the 140 tire. But depending on the profile of the new Heidenau, it could change handling ... probably will make it a bit sluggish to turn. If possible, I would stay with the 130 tire. Remember, the DR650 is actually spec'd for a 120 section tire ... and handles beautifully with that tire. I've used a NEW 120 back to back with a NEW 130 tire. Both were OK, but I COULD feel the difference. The 120 turned sharper and really "Fell" into turns. The 130 was OK but was just a bit slow to turn and react.

Just my '02 cents.

Safe going as always Jay ... (loved the Brazil pics!)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #44877
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,713
Lex:
Harbor Freight sells 1/16" drill bits in packs of 10(?) for about $4.

I only broke one when drilling my stainless allen heads. For safety wire, I used .040 welding wire because that's what I had.

Good info on the NSU here (a repost). I copied Dyno's solution:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15

Toward the bottom are the part numbers for the oil pump gear and an oil seal in the clutch cover. I replaced both for peace of mind at 15,000 miles.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #44878
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Rasthomas & PAL.....great bikes. One thing about the DR...you can make it your own. Nice to see the differences.

PAL - I think I see the frame guards on there...been eyeing those as I'm gonna sand my paint off in short order with my boots. Like? No Like?

Thx for posting the pics.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #44879
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Everything went smooth until I got to the windshield.
The secret to getting any of the post mounted windscreens just right is not to be afraid to bend the mounting posts. They are a very pure aluminum alloy and will easily bend enough to make fitting the screen much easier. I bent mine to a 90 degree angle which allowed my to get the screen behind the headlight cowl.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #44880
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
clutch

Does anyone know off the top of their head what mm size the one nut is that holds on the clutch basket? Is it 25 or 26 mm? Its the nut with the tab that you have to bend to get off.
Thanks

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote