Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #44971
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofathead View Post
Hey Guys - I need new wheels bearings. Are the quality of the oem bearings worth the extra cost over the All Balls or Moose kits? Don't tell me to "just go to my local bearing shop" because I don't have one.

The cush drive bumpers are really loose too. I think I'll replace them while I have the bike apart.
From following dirt bike boards it seems lots of riders burn through "All Balls" bearings very quickly. Also, our Round The World Local DR Hero Jamin' Jay, had the All Balls bearings crap out in very short order. I think they lasted Jay only 5000 miles or so? He's gone back to OEM.

I would go with OEM bearings unless you can find quality sealed bearings like Koyo, or SKS or other Euro bearings.

Lots of guys complain about the lack of sealed ends on the DR bearings. But if you clean and grease your bearings well, they actually last well unless you ride UNDER water a lot. I'm near 40,000 miles on original, OEM bearings. All smooth, quiet. 3rd DR, no bearing problems.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #44972
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GageP View Post
Hey guys what are the odds that i could pick up a dr 650 for around 2k? Some back in the 90s? Or is that just going to get me a POS bike?

I paid $2200 for my '99 five years ago with very low miles. I got thirty thousand hassle free miles out of it.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #44973
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I think I've seen others post about DR specific items they have for sale in the Flea Market here. If its OK I'll post the link here once. If its not OK I will delete.

I've got a set of lightly used Dirt-Bagz and DR mounting racks for sale here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658974

Thanks.
Is the flat black panel to prevent the bag burning? The left side rack may not protect the bag once its fully stuffed with heavy stuff. Did you side panel ever melt? Bags OK? Good luck with sale.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #44974
jessepitt
Ride More

no balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
From following dirt bike boards it seems lots of riders burn through "All Balls" bearings very quickly. Also, our Round The World Local DR Hero Jamin' Jay, had the All Balls bearings crap out in very short order. I think they lasted Jay only 5000 miles or so? He's gone back to OEM.

I would go with OEM bearings unless you can find quality sealed bearings like Koyo, or SKS or other Euro bearings.

Lots of guys complain about the lack of sealed ends on the DR bearings. But if you clean and grease your bearings well, they actually last well unless you ride UNDER water a lot. I'm near 40,000 miles on original, OEM bearings. All smooth, quiet. 3rd DR, no bearing problems.
I went through a set of all balls rear wheel bearings in about 8k miles. I still have the stockers in the front with 34,000 on 'em.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #44975
BugsInMyTeeth
zOOk farmer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Hey guys what are the odds that i could pick up a dr 650 for around 2k? Some back in the 90s? Or is that just going to get me a POS bike?
keep looking. I got lucky and stole my 98 for $1k flat. All I have done except for regular maintenance and the occasional farkle is install the starter kick-back gear.

They ARE out there
'90 DR250
'00 LT-F300F KingQuad
BugsInMyTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #44976
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:

You're almost making me glad my 09 DR was stolen since "all balls" were one of the improvements I mad in the steering, and wheels.
F.W.I.W. I hope the wheels lock up on the C@*k sucking thief!....just thinking about that makes me feel better. THANKS!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #44977
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
I bought my 1996 model last fall, with only 3000 miles on it, for $1500. I thought that was a fair deal for both parties. It is bone stock, and very pretty, although the color scheme is a bit "loud" for my tastes. It had not been ridden off road at all, so it still looks very close to new. I would look for the nicest one you can find, from 1996-up. At worst, you will have to do the starter gear fix (1998-2000?), and maybe a base gasket replacement (1996-1998?), but mine has been holding just fine.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #44978
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,526
Moose Racing packaged front wheel bearings are clealy marked "All Balls" on the paperwork inside the box, and the bearings themselves are marked by "KML"
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #44979
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
NJ-Brett just sold his for $1600.

I got my "96 for $1600, 5 years ago. It can be done, especially in a bad economy and in winter. The longer you wait/search, the warmer it gets the higher the prices will likely go. Good luck. Try searchtempest to help navigate craigslist.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #44980
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:

If your stock bearings aren't completely wasted, you can carefully pick out the seals with a small knife or pick and install them into the new ones.
I've done this many times over the years. Just put in quality wheelbearing grease before you close them up.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #44981
BoRaBey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
ı bougt this 2004 dr 650 se yesterday. ı want to ask that changing the handlebar of motorcycle. Which brand would you recommend. What should be the thickness of handle bar

BoRaBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #44982
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Is the flat black panel to prevent the bag burning? The left side rack may not protect the bag once its fully stuffed with heavy stuff. Did you side panel ever melt? Bags OK? Good luck with sale.
Re: my Dirt-Bagz for sale in flea market.

The black plastic panels are made of flexible plastic and give the bags some shape. They fit into a sleeve on the inside of the bag. They are not heat shields. I guess they would prevent flopping around when empty and potentially contacting the exhaust, but the bags are secured at two points (front and rear) to the racks so I imagine them to be very stable. Note that I think every piece of soft luggage or tank bag I have ever owned has had similar plastic panels to provide shape when empty.

As I mentioned in the ad, I have never used these bags, they came with the bike, so I don't have personal experience with them. I immediately bought bigger waterproof bags, the Wolfman Explorers. There is some dirt but no wear, scuff or burn marks on the bags themselves. I could throw them in the washer and then they won't even have the dirt.

Did you mean "right (exhaust) side" in your comment? I honestly don't see how these bags can contact the exhaust. That said, the back end of my right side panel does have some evidence (melting) of contacting the exhaust. I can try to contact the previous owner to ask if that was from these bags or earlier non-rack supported bags.

In the meantime, if anyone else here has good or bad experience with Dirt-Bagz on the DR, please post up so others know whether these are a worthwhile accessory for their bike.

Here are the only pics I have of the racks on the DR when I first bought it. And pics with bags on bike from the manufacturer's web site: http://www.dbzproducts.com/gallery.htm

joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #44983
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Not quite sure what exactly you broke (screw or the NSU itself). I know I would do everything in my power to not cut, drill, grind etc. inside that case! Chances of getting bits of metal in the case are too high! Good luck man...maybe a pic of what you got going on and we can help a little more....
Broke the plastic hole on the NSU that surrounds the top screw. The star washer broke off a big chunk of the plastic while I was tightening it down. Wasn't talking about cutting metal. Just assumed that since the plastic housing is compromised, the screw will be more likely to back out. It used to be a plastic circle on the right side of the NSU, but 30-40 % of the plastic is not there. Don't want to take off the NSU but..........
Will try to take pictures today.......

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #44984
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post

In the meantime, if anyone else here has good or bad experience with Dirt-Bagz on the DR, please post up so others know whether these are a worthwhile accessory for their bike.
OK, I did my own search through this thread and found two instances of side panel melting with Dirt-Bagz.
Note that I didn't find anybody saying that the bags themselves ever contacted the exhaust.

I will add a note to my ad in FM.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #44985
jessepitt
Ride More

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRaBey View Post
ı bougt this 2004 dr 650 se yesterday. ı want to ask that changing the handlebar of motorcycle. Which brand would you recommend. What should be the thickness of handle bar

The stock bar size is 7/8ths. I think any of the normal name brand bars will work fine. They do come in many different styles tho so it would be a good idea to call a customer service rep and tell them your height and riding style so they can point you toward the correct rise and pull back of bar. I have renthals on mine and they have survived many crashs.
That's a sweet looking bike you got. Is that and L.E.D tail light? It looks from the picture like it sits flush to the fender, any idea where it came from? Enjoy your new bike and read this thread in your spare time, it will tell you almost everything about your bike.