Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #44971
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,585
Moose Racing packaged front wheel bearings are clealy marked "All Balls" on the paperwork inside the box, and the bearings themselves are marked by "KML"
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #44972
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GageP View Post
Hey guys what are the odds that i could pick up a dr 650 for around 2k? Some back in the 90s? Or is that just going to get me a POS bike?
NJ-Brett just sold his for $1600.

I got my "96 for $1600, 5 years ago. It can be done, especially in a bad economy and in winter. The longer you wait/search, the warmer it gets the higher the prices will likely go. Good luck. Try searchtempest to help navigate craigslist.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #44973
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Lots of guys complain about the lack of sealed ends on the DR bearings. But if you clean and grease your bearings well, they actually last well unless you ride UNDER water a lot. I'm near 40,000 miles on original, OEM bearings. All smooth, quiet. 3rd DR, no bearing problems.
If your stock bearings aren't completely wasted, you can carefully pick out the seals with a small knife or pick and install them into the new ones.
I've done this many times over the years. Just put in quality wheelbearing grease before you close them up.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #44974
BoRaBey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
ı bougt this 2004 dr 650 se yesterday. ı want to ask that changing the handlebar of motorcycle. Which brand would you recommend. What should be the thickness of handle bar

BoRaBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #44975
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Is the flat black panel to prevent the bag burning? The left side rack may not protect the bag once its fully stuffed with heavy stuff. Did you side panel ever melt? Bags OK? Good luck with sale.
Re: my Dirt-Bagz for sale in flea market.

The black plastic panels are made of flexible plastic and give the bags some shape. They fit into a sleeve on the inside of the bag. They are not heat shields. I guess they would prevent flopping around when empty and potentially contacting the exhaust, but the bags are secured at two points (front and rear) to the racks so I imagine them to be very stable. Note that I think every piece of soft luggage or tank bag I have ever owned has had similar plastic panels to provide shape when empty.

As I mentioned in the ad, I have never used these bags, they came with the bike, so I don't have personal experience with them. I immediately bought bigger waterproof bags, the Wolfman Explorers. There is some dirt but no wear, scuff or burn marks on the bags themselves. I could throw them in the washer and then they won't even have the dirt.

Did you mean "right (exhaust) side" in your comment? I honestly don't see how these bags can contact the exhaust. That said, the back end of my right side panel does have some evidence (melting) of contacting the exhaust. I can try to contact the previous owner to ask if that was from these bags or earlier non-rack supported bags.

In the meantime, if anyone else here has good or bad experience with Dirt-Bagz on the DR, please post up so others know whether these are a worthwhile accessory for their bike.

Here are the only pics I have of the racks on the DR when I first bought it. And pics with bags on bike from the manufacturer's web site: http://www.dbzproducts.com/gallery.htm

joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #44976
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Not quite sure what exactly you broke (screw or the NSU itself). I know I would do everything in my power to not cut, drill, grind etc. inside that case! Chances of getting bits of metal in the case are too high! Good luck man...maybe a pic of what you got going on and we can help a little more....
Broke the plastic hole on the NSU that surrounds the top screw. The star washer broke off a big chunk of the plastic while I was tightening it down. Wasn't talking about cutting metal. Just assumed that since the plastic housing is compromised, the screw will be more likely to back out. It used to be a plastic circle on the right side of the NSU, but 30-40 % of the plastic is not there. Don't want to take off the NSU but..........
Will try to take pictures today.......

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #44977
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post

In the meantime, if anyone else here has good or bad experience with Dirt-Bagz on the DR, please post up so others know whether these are a worthwhile accessory for their bike.
OK, I did my own search through this thread and found two instances of side panel melting with Dirt-Bagz.
Note that I didn't find anybody saying that the bags themselves ever contacted the exhaust.

I will add a note to my ad in FM.
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #44978
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRaBey View Post
ı bougt this 2004 dr 650 se yesterday. ı want to ask that changing the handlebar of motorcycle. Which brand would you recommend. What should be the thickness of handle bar

The stock bar size is 7/8ths. I think any of the normal name brand bars will work fine. They do come in many different styles tho so it would be a good idea to call a customer service rep and tell them your height and riding style so they can point you toward the correct rise and pull back of bar. I have renthals on mine and they have survived many crashs.
That's a sweet looking bike you got. Is that and L.E.D tail light? It looks from the picture like it sits flush to the fender, any idea where it came from? Enjoy your new bike and read this thread in your spare time, it will tell you almost everything about your bike.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #44979
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRaBey View Post

I went with the ProTaper CR High Bends, its a fat bar without the top bar, just a single tube.. I think its what they call an inch and a 1/8.

Procycle has a ProTaper fat bar and they also have risers etc... You can get many things for the DR650 in one place and combine shipping...

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #44980
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Condolences

Sorry to hear of your broken NSU, hope you get it taken care of to your satisfaction.

And, thank you for the cautionary tale for the rest of us.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
well, I suck. days of running around trying to get the right tool, finally get the clutch off, locktite some good screws, tightening the nsu on and......snap.
Putting in the upper screw and almost half of the plastic on the nsu holding the top screw breaks and falls off.
so.........definately have to cut that f'ing thing out of there now. I know you just don't cut it out. do I follow the wire somewhere and disconnect it?
So frustrated, going swimming. lol
Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #44981
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Sorry to hear of your broken NSU,

Lex
A new one is $36.

I've been planning to yank mine out the next time I'm in there. I just like the idea of not having to worry about those pesky screws.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #44982
Redbean
Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbean View Post
Thanks guys, got it pulled on rusty screw, is had what was left of the plug on it. Going to button it up and check it out.
Put it back together and it runs like shit, sounds lean, ordered extended fuel mix screw from Procycle. Maybe didn't turn mix screw out the correct amount?
Redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #44983
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
You're almost making me glad my 09 DR was stolen since "all balls" were one of the improvements I mad in the steering, and wheels. F.W.I.W. I hope the wheels lock up on the C@*k sucking thief!....just thinking about that makes me feel better. THANKS!
May it be so!

Not sure why you would consider re-branded Taiwanese bearings as "an upgrade" to stock. In case you hadn't noticed ... stock Suzuki components are very high quality. Especially bearings. In fact, I go so far as to say Koyo (made in Japan) bearings are some of the very best in the world.

Lots of "johnny come lately" companies come out of nowhere to suck money from the MC community. But read the reviews, talk to the experts who replace bearings everyday. All Balls are junk. Period.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #44984
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
OK, I did my own search through this thread and found two instances of side panel melting with Dirt-Bagz.
Note that I didn't find anybody saying that the bags themselves ever contacted the exhaust.

I will add a note to my ad in FM.
I had similar experiences ... but different bags and set up. Here is what I did to protect the stock Suzuki side panel from melting. Works very well. It's a stainless pipe hanger, bent to fit. works perfectly. A very heavy bag will press against the panel, putting it too close to pipe.

Here it is with stock pipe and panel attached. Attachment point is different. Perfect. Even with 30 lbs. bag, no melting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #44985
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
DR650 spec sheet

Some of you may find this helpful. Attached is a Word doc but with a .gpx extension so I could upload it. It's a cut & paste of most of the specs for the DR that you can print on both sides of a standard sheet of paper and stuff in your tool tube.

(Just save this file, rename the .gpx to a .doc)
Attached Files
File Type: gpx DR650specs.gpx (381.0 KB, 129 views)