User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #45001
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
$1,000 off coupon for 2009 DR650

Don't say I never gave you anything. $1,000 off coupon for a new 2009 DR650. Good until March 31,2011

The fact they included the DR650 in the offer I'm assuming some dealers must still have them in stock.

Not a joke, this is a legimate Suzuki promotion from their website.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/microsites/1koff.aspx

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #45002
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Hey guys...thinking on getting another DR650 to set up for some far off travels...Wondering about the power out put isue...what is stock adequate for and can it be upgraded and if so what's the best?

Thanks...pic of my old one that I should have never sold, along with many others.
Attached Images

Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #45003
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,205
More power output?
All you really need is to cut the top of the airbox, a pumper carb if you like throttle response. Hard to see needing more power then that...

Some people just like a lot of power though, so maybe the big bore kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Hey guys...thinking on getting another DR650 to set up for some far off travels...Wondering about the power out put isue...what is stock adequate for and can it be upgraded and if so what's the best?

Thanks...pic of my old one that I should have never sold, along with many others.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #45004
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,401
Which mid-pipe are you using, BergDonk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Can someone confirm whether the FMF Powerbomb header pipe will bolt onto the Kientech-modified Two Bros mid-pipe without any messing around? I suspect the answer is probably yes, and I also assume that both OEM gaskets are used in this application (the gasket at the front of the header pipe, as well as the one where the header joins the mid-pipe)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
The one I fitted had no coupling as such. I TIG welded a short length of tube to it to get it to line up and mate to my tail pipe.

Steve

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #45005
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:

I like that black exhaust system. What did you paint it with?

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Ąsǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #45006
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Eek

So whats the difference between the procycle and Kientech TM-40 carbs? Seems like they come with the same things but are different in price. Seems like the procycle comes with more jetting options.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#fuelsystems

http://www.kientech.com/TM-40Pumper.html
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #45007
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,401
The ProCycle TM-40 has steel adapter rings pressed onto the body so that it fits the rubber boots for your intake and airbox. The Kientech TM-40 will fit loose, and you'll need to clamp the boots down real good. The ProCycle kit also includes a fist full of main and pilot jets allowing you to fine tune your setup. IMO, the ProCycle kit is worth the extra cash.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #45008
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
In stock form the DR is rock solid reliable. I know it makes me a minority voice in the dialogue, but after riding a stock (in terms of air-box, jetting, and exhaust) DR for nearly 5,000 miles on a trip out west last summer I can't see the draw towards doing power modifications.

Put another way, fresh out of the crate the bike will run strong from sea level to over 12,000 feet in elevation. It will handle the fire and forest service roads with style, and it will cruise on the interstate all day long at 75-80 mph without a hiccup.

My thought would be that if leaving on a long trip, or a RTW trip, do the bolt up stuff (bash plate, hand-guards, luggage racks, etc.) to to protect the bike and haul the necessary stuff, but otherwise leave the state of tune alone.

Just MHO
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #45009
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
BC - I agree with you. It's a very basic bike and for reliability and ease of replacement parts if needed....let it ride. Add a monster gas tank to your list and go.

As romantic as it sounds, I don't see a RTW trip in my future and probably not a trip of any length until I retire.....so I bought every high zoot item known to man and bolted it up!

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #45010
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
BC - I agree with you. It's a very basic bike and for reliability and ease of replacement parts if needed....let it ride. Add a monster gas tank to your list and go.

As romantic as it sounds, I don't see a RTW trip in my future and probably not a trip of any length until I retire.....so I bought every high zoot item known to man and bolted it up!

Yeah -- I'm a confessed hypocrite on the topic. My state of tune is stock but I have a butt load of other stuff bolted on or added in.

In terms of comfort, the three best purchases I made were a Sargeant lo-seat, probillet 1" bar risers, and probillet wider footpegs.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #45011
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
In terms of comfort, the three best purchases I made were a Sargeant lo-seat, probillet 1" bar risers, and probillet wider footpegs.
Although the Corbin allows me to ride long enough to care about the suspension;

..........whatever you do.......never........ever....... ride a DR with emulators in the front and a Cogent on the rear.........ever.

No, I didn't believe it either.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #45012
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Did you mean "right (exhaust) side" in your comment?
Whoops, my mistake ... yes, I met Right Side ... sorry.
Quote:
I honestly don't see how these bags can contact the exhaust. That said, the back end of my right side panel does have some evidence (melting) of contacting the exhaust.
Cool, the rack looks well positioned to keep the bag off ... but supporting the panel from underneath can help the melting. I use the Happy Trails rack, it works well also for most bags.
Quote:
In the meantime, if anyone else here has good or bad experience with Dirt-Bagz on the DR, please post up so others know whether these are a worthwhile accessory for their bike.
The Dirt Bagz have a good reputation ... but I've not used them. They adapt well to lots of bikes it seems ... mostly dirt bikes.

Nice view from Twin Peaks.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #45013
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Even though my Carb jetting and Airbox are modified, I can't really argue with leaving the bike totally stock if doing a long range, extended ride. The only time power will drop off significantly will be at very high altitudes, like in the Andes and Himalayas. In the Andes you'll be riding over 15,000 ft. in a few places. Himalayas, even higher. The stock DR, as mentioned, does pretty well up to about 12K ft. (4K meters) In reality, by 12K its pretty gutless. But when up that high for extended periods there is a quick and easy solution: Remove the air box side cover. About a five minute job.

The good news about running a stock set up is your fuel economy will be very good most everywhere. (about 50 mpg or so) Of course up high all carb'd bikes use more fuel. This is where F.I. has an advantage ... but F.I. lose power just like any motor will. But will adjust mixture so fuel consumption should remain close to normal.

All motors lose power as you go up. The DR will have more than enough power for probably 85% of your travel. Most times it cruises easily at 80 mph. In the 3rd world you'll find your speeds will be much lower, more like
50 to 60 MPH. In towns and villages, even less. Off road, even in very deep sand, it just chugs through easily, never overheating.
Just an outstanding travel bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #45014
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
..........whatever you do.......never........ever....... ride a DR with emulators in the front and a Cogent on the rear.........ever.

No, I didn't believe it either.
Yeah. I held back from riding a pumper equipped DR for the same reason.

I've got a pumper now :(
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #45015
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I know it makes me a minority voice in the dialogue, but after riding a stock (in terms of air-box, jetting, and exhaust) DR for nearly 5,000 miles on a trip out west last summer I can't see the draw towards doing power modifications.
After riding a stock DR (with snorkel removed and washer under needle), I can totally see the draw of power mods.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote