User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #45076
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
NSU saga continues

wow, not sure what my karma is with my bike lately, but...
So I snipped the wires and pulled the NSU out. Putting clutch pressure plate bolts back on in reverse order all labelled. Putting bolt # 2 back in and it is not tightening down all the way............snap!!!! noo!!!! bolt breaks off inside where it goes. By some miracle, I got it out with some small allen wrenches. So I am buying all new good bolts. I am not sure why this happened. I was not cranking on the bolt and I was working in reverse order...4, 3, 2, 1,. Are you supposed to take one bolt, put it in all the way tight, then go to the next,etc..or is there some secret technique I am missing? Don't want to do this again. The bolt hole itself is a little bit sticky in some places when finger tightening it. Maybe the threads are slightly messed up.....

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #45077
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
After a long ride (100+ miles) my back muscles around my shoulders always are sore and burning....I read on here some time ago about a certain handle bar that eliminates this problem (ATV bar) somebody help me out and post what it is.........seems like it was some bar for an ATV is all I remember.
The first thing I'd do is adjust the stock bars and see if you can find the sweet spot that makes the pain go away, if your bars are too far forward it will feel like your elbows are sticking out, too far back and you elbows will be feeling like they are too close to you body and you wrists will not be straight to the grips. I'd bet your bars are rolled too far down or close to you. That being said, I'm 6'3" so like a taller bar for riding when standing so I go with the Pro Taper 7/8 ATV high bend bars. Thy still need to be adjusted for personal fit as decribed before.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #45078
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
So I snipped the wires and pulled the NSU out. Putting clutch pressure plate bolts back on in reverse order all labelled. Putting bolt # 2 back in and it is not tightening down all the way............snap!!!! noo!!!! bolt breaks off inside where it goes. By some miracle, I got it out with some small allen wrenches. So I am buying all new good bolts. I am not sure why this happened. I was not cranking on the bolt and I was working in reverse order...4, 3, 2, 1,. Are you supposed to take one bolt, put it in all the way tight, then go to the next,etc..or is there some secret technique I am missing? Don't want to do this again. The bolt hole itself is a little bit sticky in some places when finger tightening it. Maybe the threads are slightly messed up.....
Bummer...

With a clutch pressure plate you should progressively tighten the bolts up a couple of turns each at a time else the plate is distorted and all the spring pressure is on one bolt.

I also recommend a suitable torque wrench like:
http://www.justtools.com.au/prod1776.htm
Accurate for the torque required.

Steve
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #45079
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Thumb bars

so I go with the Pro Taper 7/8 ATV high bend bars.

This is what I was looking for........I knew it was something for ATV
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #45080
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Thumb Atv

Thats what I was looking for ATV high bend
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #45081
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
:
Hard to tell who does what ... but reading this thread you can get a pretty good idea .... Anyone remember that "hot shot" from L.A. , handle was "Goodcat8" ? He crashed his DR ... and no one even wanted to buy the leftover carcass.
It's amazing what a complete and total douchbag you are. Seriously. It's gotten to a point where I just shake my head and sigh everytime you post anything.... in any thread.
For the record, so you can actually know what your talking shit about for once, I sold my DR w/in a week of listing it in the fleamarket to a fellow "inmate". Who has enjoyed the bike very much since he picked it up.
So for the love of god, just for a day or two, maybe, just maybe... STFU.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #45082
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Pro cycle jet kit

Took my first lengthy ride today since installing the pro cycle jet kit. I am running a stock exhaust system and air filter. The air box has been modified as per pro cycle's instructions. I'm running the 145 main jet with the needle clip on the 4th grove from the top and the fuel screw 2 turns out. Basically the base line settings for a stock exhaust.

The power gains are noticeable thought the rpm range but particularly on the top end! The gains are more then I expected. Throttle response from a close throttle could be better and doesn't seem to be improved from the stock setup. I did drill the extra hoe in the slide. I guess that's why pumper carbs are a popular mod.

I attempted to adjust the fuel screw while for the best idle but found that to be fully screwed in!. There was an intolerable stumble when opening the throttle from a close position with the screw turned in. I gradually turned the screw out to achieve the best throttle response which put me back a two turns out. The throttle response acceptable with the screw 2 turns out.

The instructions in the kit are ambiguous at best as to where to the base line needle clip position. The install section says to start at the 4th grove. The tuning section says that the 3rd grove is a good place to start and will work well for most bikes. WTF over?

I topped off my tank mid ride so I don't have an accurate flue economy report yet but it appears to be close to the 40 mpg that I was averaging b/4 the kit install. I may try the 3rd clip position to see if i can improve the flue economy.

Basically I'd say that the bike starts and runs about the same as stock, just fine, but with significantly better power. That's what I wanted and I wasn't expecting pumper carb preference from a jet kit. I would certainly recommend this kit to anyone who would like to pick up some inexpensive HP. Install was very easy.
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #45083
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Singer View Post
Took my first lengthy ride today since installing the pro cycle jet kit. I am running a stock exhaust system and air filter. The air box has been modified as per pro cycle's instructions. I'm running the 145 main jet with the needle clip on the 4th grove from the top and the fuel screw 2 turns out. Basically the base line settings for a stock exhaust.

The power gains are noticeable thought the rpm range but particularly on the top end! The gains are more then I expected. Throttle response from a close throttle could be better and doesn't seem to be improved from the stock setup. I did drill the extra hoe in the slide. I guess that's why pumper carbs are a popular mod.

I attempted to adjust the fuel screw while for the best idle but found that to be fully screwed in!. There was an intolerable stumble when opening the throttle from a close position with the screw turned in. I gradually turned the screw out to achieve the best throttle response which put me back a two turns out. The throttle response acceptable with the screw 2 turns out.

The instructions in the kit are ambiguous at best as to where to the base line needle clip position. The install section says to start at the 4th grove. The tuning section says that the 3rd grove is a good place to start and will work well for most bikes. WTF over?

I topped off my tank mid ride so I don't have an accurate flue economy report yet but it appears to be close to the 40 mpg that I was averaging b/4 the kit install. I may try the 3rd clip position to see if i can improve the flue economy.

Basically I'd say that the bike starts and runs about the same as stock, just fine, but with significantly better power. That's what I wanted and I wasn't expecting pumper carb preference from a jet kit. I would certainly recommend this kit to anyone who would like to pick up some inexpensive HP. Install was very easy.

40mpg. Has it always been that low? In stock trim it should get better than fifty mpg, close to sixty if ridden nicely. Maybe there is something else going on with your bike if it has always gotten that kind of mileage. Do you clean your air filter regularly?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #45084
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
40mpg. Has it always been that low? In stock trim it should get better than fifty mpg, close to sixty if ridden nicely. Maybe there is something else going on with your bike if it has always gotten that kind of mileage. Do you clean your air filter regularly?
Yes it has always been that low. I did ck the float height when I put the jet kit in and it was about .060" too hi. I re adjusted it to factory spec. That may have had an ill effect on the pre kit install mileage. I was running the piss out of her today going though the Dragon so we are not talking about gentle miles. Still though my 150 rear wheel hp FZ1 could do better then that so I think some further tuning is in order.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #45085
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
newride

Sorry to read of your continuing problems. The DR is a perfect machine to begin learning mechanical skills, don't be discouraged by your first experiences, there will be much satisfaction later on.

I have only serviced one clutch so far, and that was a decade ago, however: I started all the bolts, then in a cross-wise pattern began snugging them down a little at a time, intending to make three circuits, with the last circuit using a torque wrench.

NOTE that the torque specified for these bolts is just **7.0 lbft**. You will NOT be able to use a lbft torque wrench for this low value, you MUST use a LBIN torque wrench set to 84 lbin.

7.0 lbft is just a little more than "snug." and you want to have all the bolts at the *same* "snugness" for the clutch to work properly.

Caveat: I'm not a mechanic, maybe someone who is will correct me.

Also: the small fasteners at the bottom of your fork take the same or nearly the same torque; there have been posts here of riders snapping those bolts.

Lastly, you may want to post your location, there may be a local, helpful DR rider who can assist you in getting to know your DR.

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #45086
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Compression ratio, measured

Motorcycle Consumer News did a multi-part article on upgrades to the DR650 last year. This year, they're doing another multi-part article on engine blueprinting using the same DR650.

In the March issue they measured the displacement and calculated the combustion ratio.

Suzuki states the combustion ratio is 9.5:1.

MCN measured the combustion ratio on their bike as 8.95:1.

The usual caveats pertain; this is only one example.

Lex
Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #45087
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Ask Jeff...

Quote:
Yes it has always been that low. I did ck the float height when I put the jet kit in and it was about .060" too hi. I re adjusted it to factory spec. That may have had an ill effect on the pre kit install mileage. I was running the piss out of her today going though the Dragon so we are not talking about gentle miles. Still though my 150 rear wheel hp FZ1 could do better then that so I think some further tuning is in order.

I would maybe call Procycle and at least ask if its normal. I know that mileage will drop with the jet kit but that seems kinda low even for "flogged" mileage. Maybe others with similar mods will weigh in.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #45088
justscoutin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I'd love to get my mileage higher on my dr as well. the speedo reads about 2200 miles on it but I think the guy before me took off the speedo for awhile.
I have the x0f40 muffler, and a jet kit. its tuned to run the best, and only get 38-42. If I try to lean it out it runs like crap. doesn't matter how I ride it.
72 SL70
Save Aetna Offroad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758193
justscoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #45089
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I would maybe call Procycle and at least ask if its normal. I know that mileage will drop with the jet kit but that seems kinda low even for "flogged" mileage. Maybe others with similar mods will weigh in.
If he doesn't chime in here first, I will give him a call. I suspect he will suggest dropping the needle down one clip.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #45090
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,091
Don't sound right at all.
Drilling the slide should result in faster throttle opening.
I drilled a 2nd smaller hole (about half the size) and noticed a big jump in response.

The needle position will have a lot to do with the mpg.
The main jet with full throttle and high rpm running.
I would adjust each one at a time and check the results.
Drop the needle a notch and see what happens.
Then drop the main jet one step at a time untill power drops off, then go back up one step.

I got 50 mpg in hard riding before the pumper carb, and got 50 or better with the pumper carb, it all depends on the needle (unless you run at full throttle all the time!).

When I sold my bike, the needle was in the leaner position, and I noticed in the cold weather quick throttle openings with no load would bog the motor out some, but I think the mpg was well over 50.

The pumper carb DOES improve the response a LOT, but it also improves low rpm at wider throttle openings a lot.
Grab a fist full of throttle at 2000 rpm and the wheel just comes up, les and it chugs along smoothly.
I always thought a big thumpers strong point was the ability to run well at low rpm's, but with the stock carb, the DR does not like to.
It does with the pumper because the vacuum is not modulating the slide.

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote