Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #45871
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
so after only 200 or so miles on my D606's I've decided to get rid of them. I don't much trail riding and since I'm mostly on the highway I want something more street oriented. What do you guys think about the Shinko 705's? I was also thinking the Shinko 244 since I've had that pattern before on my DR200 and liked it a lot, both on and off road.

I want to have the ability to go off road when I can, but not be uncomfortable on the highway, 90% of the time.

Luckily I only bought the rear D606, since the front came with the bike. Oh well. Anybody want them?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #45872
HiJincs
Dreamer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
so after only 200 or so miles on my D606's I've decided to get rid of them. I don't much trail riding and since I'm mostly on the highway I want something more street oriented. What do you guys think about the Shinko 705's? I was also thinking the Shinko 244 since I've had that pattern before on my DR200 and liked it a lot, both on and off road.

I want to have the ability to go off road when I can, but not be uncomfortable on the highway, 90% of the time.

Luckily I only bought the rear D606, since the front came with the bike. Oh well. Anybody want them?
I had the 705's on my BMW Dakar and liked them a lot. Really good on the road and ok on dry gravel. Not so good in the mud.

I'd take your 606's depending on how much tread is left, but I think shipping would be a pain.

When I die, show no pity, send my soul to Juggalo City.
Dig my grave six feet deep and put two Sidi's on my feet.
Put some leather over my chest and tell my family I did my best!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #45873
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:

I have 705's on my DR650 right now. Love them on pavement, and they're decent on the little bit of dirt I've been on with them. I had Shinko E-700's before that... a bit more dirt-oriented, but still fantastic on the highway. I got 3600 miles out of the rear tire, and the front is only down to half.

I picked up a spare set of wheels (two sets, actually) and have a set of D606's on them for more dirt-specific riding. I pair them with a 14T front sprocket (I normally run 16/46), so it should go good in the dirt. The middle set consists of my old Shinko E-700 on the front and a Kenda K270 in back, for "milder" dirt that includes asphalt.

If you weren't in NY, I know you could sell your 606's quickly, what with the big Death Valley trip happening out here end of the month.

Rob
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #45874
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything tricky about installing the "pumper carb"? It looks like to remove it I need to totally remove the airbox. Does that sound right or is there enough room to wiggle it out without removal of the airbox? I have a pumper carb on order from Procycle and am planning on changing it and the cables out hopefully later this week. I am also installing an IMS tank and was curious if I would need to change any of the vacuum lines around or anything like that? I am planning on using the IMS petcock for now. Thanks.
'06 Honda Silver Wing
'09 Stella 150 with sidecar
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #45875
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldomike View Post
I've neglected the bike to long, time to get the farkles on that I''ve aquired over the winter....IMS tank, skid plate etc...I thought I had saved the detailed instructions on installing the Dyna Jet kit but can't seem to find it and was hoping I wouldn't have to reread this entire site!...any help would be appreciated on locating it...thanks...
From Dynojet's website: http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3138.pdf
Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #45876
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Pumper - It should come with install instructions. I got an FCR from mxrob and removing the airbox was on the list. I think it would be more hassle than it's worth trying to leave it in there.

My son has the TM40 purchased from Kientech. The supplied cables are a straight in shot to the carb. The PO got P.O'd evidently at trying to route the second cable and cut it at the throttle

I ordered a new set from Procycle not realizing their set has a 90 degree hard bend on the carb side. Took a little looking around but pointing them up and then above the tank mount on the left side of the backbone worked for routing. No binding and smooth operation once adjusted.

Jeff - if you're reading this and you see problems with my routing, please correct it. I looked on the site for step by step or final install with routing pics....may have missed 'em.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #45877
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,736
yup

ditto.
we dualsported a DRZ400E years ago, had it all fixed up for onroad/off, tagged/titled etc.
Fabulous in uncertain terrain - the thing really handled trailless "flats" at great speeds and could climb like a mountain goat.
But I never "enjoyed" its street manner..... tried to. tried to ignore its odd feel and buzzy motor but finally sold it and got the 02 DR.... like heaven once we got it sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I agree with the others about it being a better trail than highway bike. And I agree with Nordie about it being better for a shorter, lighter rider. If this is you, maybe it's worth considering.

You might also check out Nicomama's ride reports. She rides a DRZ400, but she's 5'4 and I doubt if she's even 120 lbs. She does a lot of highway riding on it (on D606's no less), but she rides by herself so she doesn't need to keep up with anybody.

Rob
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #45878
TN Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Question FCR vs TM40

TrophyHunter which conversion do you like better: FCR or TM40? and Why? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Pumper - It should come with install instructions. I got an FCR from mxrob and removing the airbox was on the list. I think it would be more hassle than it's worth trying to leave it in there.

My son has the TM40 purchased from Kientech. The supplied cables are a straight in shot to the carb. The PO got P.O'd evidently at trying to route the second cable and cut it at the throttle

I ordered a new set from Procycle not realizing their set has a 90 degree hard bend on the carb side. Took a little looking around but pointing them up and then above the tank mount on the left side of the backbone worked for routing. No binding and smooth operation once adjusted.

Jeff - if you're reading this and you see problems with my routing, please correct it. I looked on the site for step by step or final install with routing pics....may have missed 'em.
TN Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #45879
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,736
like the look.
and the other gent who mentioned the DRZ lights - both good ideas.

do you know if a flasher pot or regulator or ? had to be installed with those? I don't have a picture in my head of what that device is or where/how to mount for proper operation with the led types.

anyone chime in here with info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Zapp, I don't have the brand name or anything, but the bike I just bought has small, simulated-carbon turn signals installed by the PO. You can just see them in the picture below.

They have rubber stalks like the stockers, but I think the small size is key to survivability. They're so damn small they tuck in and don't look very vulnerable.

I'm trying to think what other characteristic would be important for survivability. I think they're all hard plastic, so "small" and "rubber mounted" seem to cover the bases...

2007-2
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #45880
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:

Wanna trade for a pair of stock Trail Wings? They got about 75-80% of tread left on them. I can meet ya somewhere.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #45881
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
Wanna trade for a pair of stock Trail Wings? They got about 75-80% of tread left on them. I can meet ya somewhere.
Just ordered a set of Shinko 705's. Thanks anyway!

Do you ride in NJ?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #45882
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Just ordered a set of Shinko 705's. Thanks anyway!

Do you ride in NJ?

NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, etc. Northeast rides, I try to pick at least one a month.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #45883
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:

I have 2 sets of wheels & use the 705's for street use. Love them. Great tire for the price. Corner well & will last quite a while.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #45884
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,329
My 07 came with 606s also. They had about 500 miles on them and I've added another 800 since fall. They're noisy on the road but I'm going to run them until they are shot. They are in surprisingly good shape considering. I ride mostly pavement so I'll probably go the Shinko route also.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #45885
MK160
Dust in the Wind

Oddometer: 114
I had a moment last night....not a good moment, either. Coming home from Home Depot, my rear tube went BANG at about 60 mph. Instant drunken tank slapper. Probably took 200 yards to get it stopped and about half an hour to get my heart rate under control. It didn't feel mushy running down the road but I'm almost certain it was low on air. Whew.....check those air pressures!!!

MK160