Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #46501
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Installed the Procycle HID kit today. So far, two thumbs way up .
To get more light for less I installed a relay kit from Eastern Beaver.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

It does not save watts but directs more of them to your headlight.

I used the H4 single headlight shell mount kit - fits neatly under the headlight cover and makes a brighter, whiter light with the stock bulb.

$54 shipped from Japan.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #46502
shu

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BTW, DR's almost never, ever foul plugs. Very hard to do. But a non start is COMMON after sitting. Do you know why?
Noooo.........why?

.......shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #46503
N.dica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thank you!

Thursday afternoon I called up Jeff at Procycle to order some parts needed to fix up my little mule. I went out for breakfast Saturday, and when I came home the package was sitting on my doorstep. Oregon to Colorado that fast. Super super stoked to have all those additions to my bike so quickly. Just want to say thanks again, Jefe!
N.dica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #46504
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
Thursday afternoon I called up Jeff at Procycle to order some parts needed to fix up my little mule. I went out for breakfast Saturday, and when I came home the package was sitting on my doorstep. Oregon to Colorado that fast. Super super stoked to have all those additions to my bike so quickly. Just want to say thanks again, Jefe!
Jeff gets the orders out quick and the USPS delivers fast since its air mail. We use USPS for most of our shipping too, the First Class and Priority service has been great.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #46505
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 242
I just cleaned mine out after a year of not be'n started, to me it was easier to remove the carb so I had total acess to it, I used needle nosed vise grips to remove the screws and it was super easy, but orderd the allen screws from Pro Cycle to replace them.

opened up the carb and sprayed everything out, removed the tank & emptied out the old fuel, then the petcock & cleaned it, all the lines, anything that came into contact with the fuel if I could get the carb cleaner into it.

With fresh fuel I tried it, it hit 2 times and that was it, I quit for the day, next day went out and put my hand over the back of the carb, it turned over a half round & fired rite up, ran perfect.

Kinda curious if I didnt give the bowl enuff time to refill the first go round.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #46506
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
With fresh fuel I tried it, it hit 2 times and that was it, I quit for the day, next day went out and put my hand over the back of the carb, it turned over a half round & fired rite up, ran perfect.

Kinda curious if I didnt give the bowl enuff time to refill the first go round.
I suspect so. It has been reported before that when it runs out of gas it can be hard to get it started because the bowl is slow to refill. Might be the little filter at the carb inlet pipe is getting dirty.

Also gas seems to evaporate pretty quikly in general out of the bowl. If mine sits for a few days I always turn the valve to "prime" for a minute, and am surprised to see (through my clear filter) how much always trickles in. I still run the stock filter down stream of the clear one.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #46507
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
For those of you with a TM40 Pumper or an FCR...is it really that much better than a well tuned BST40?

I thought the stock carb was junk until I adjusted the mixture screw. It still needs a few more tweaks, but it's miles ahead of where it was. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase at ProCycle/DJ kit or if that money should be put towards a TM40?
I'm waiting on delivery of my carb kit from Procycle. My machine seems "fussy" at low rpms, it doesn't pull well or smoothly until I'm up in revs a bit. Almost feels like it's being lugged, but I'm not talking about those kind of low rpms, I'm guessing 2000 rpm or so (of course, w/o a tach that's just a guess). Did the kit help address this? Mine is also very cold blooded. In 25-30 degree weather, even on full choke it takes several tries to get it started. Wondering if cold temperature performance is better as well.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 11:41 AM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #46508
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
In 25-30 degree weather, even on full choke it takes several tries to get it started. Wondering if cold temperature performance is better as well.
It would have to be one heck of an emergency for me to get on my bike in 25 degree weather.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #46509
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
It would have to be one heck of an emergency for me to get on my bike in 25 degree weather.
85 mile round trip commute, $4.19 a gallon for diesel, so it's sort of an emergency. Actually, I just am looking for an excuse to go play on the bike.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #46510
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I'm waiting on delivery of my carb kit from Procycle. My machine seems "fussy" at low rpms, it doesn't pull well or smoothly until I'm up in revs a bit. Almost feels like it's being lugged, but I'm not talking about those kind of low rpms, I'm guessing 2000 rpm or so (of course, w/o a tach that's just a guess). Did the kit help address this? Mine is also very cold blooded. In 25-30 degree weather, even on full choke it takes several tries to get it started. Wondering if cold temperature performance is better as well.

Yeah, it sounds like you are running lean. They come from the factory super lean so the jet kit should solve your problems. Mine starts right up even on the coldest days and I can take the choke off completly after a minute or so.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #46511
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'd forgotten about this, but I used to remove rusty Philips-head screws at my last job by utilizing the clutch on my cordless drill's chuck. I'd start it off at a setting I KNEW would be loose enough to not strip the screw head, and tighten it up to a setting that felt firm without stripping anything. The result was much like an impact gun. It can work well for philips-head DR650 floatbowl and YX600 master cylinder screws.

Some drill chucks will tend to loosen when used in reverse much though. Retighten as needed.
I never thought of doing that.....That's a pretty good idea.

Jon...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #46512
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
The "he only has xx posts" comments always amuse me. One of my first posts on a local site received a "you're new here, right?" Uh, yes, but I'm not new to life, or motorcycles, or riding.....

Then there's the "he has so many posts...he's an internet expert I guess"...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I know one rider who monitors here that rarely posts but has been on the road RTW over 4 years. I'm guessin', but probably knows more than most about RTW travel.

I've learned a ton from all contributors here. Most recently, use your drill for removing screws. That got put in the mental tool box and I'm sure it'll be used.

Let's get on with it.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #46513
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Question Lowering/raising questions

Hey all,

I want to 'unlower' my new(ish) to me 08dr. It had the warning sticker on the swing arm, so I assume it was done by a shop. I've got the service manual Pdf, and looked over the lowering section to see what I had to undo. First, I swapped the silver side stand for the black one. Next, I flipped the spacer position on the rear shock and adjusted the spring preset, and used the lower mounting hole. Later, after re-install, I notice the spacer is now in what is considered 'lowered' position in the service manual. Question #1: Is this a problem?

Because of this situation, I cracked one of the front forks, without removing, to see the spacer on top of the fork spring, again, standard position according to the manual. Question #2: Can I assume the front fork is 'unlowered'?

It seems that when they 'lowered' this bike, they slapped on a sticker, silver side stand, and used the upper shock hole, and called it good. Am I missing something? Any body have a measurement for the front forks I could use to verify stock height? I really don't feel like taking the forks apart for nothing, or at least until I can throw in some Intiminators .

Thanks for the insight, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #46514
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
Hey all,

I want to 'unlower' my new(ish) to me 08dr. It had the warning sticker on the swing arm, so I assume it was done by a shop. I've got the service manual Pdf, and looked over the lowering section to see what I had to undo. First, I swapped the silver side stand for the black one. Next, I flipped the spacer position on the rear shock and adjusted the spring preset, and used the lower mounting hole. Later, after re-install, I notice the spacer is now in what is considered 'lowered' position in the service manual. Question #1: Is this a problem?

Because of this situation, I cracked one of the front forks, without removing, to see the spacer on top of the fork spring, again, standard position according to the manual. Question #2: Can I assume the front fork is 'unlowered'?

It seems that when they 'lowered' this bike, they slapped on a sticker, silver side stand, and used the upper shock hole, and called it good. Am I missing something? Any body have a measurement for the front forks I could use to verify stock height? I really don't feel like taking the forks apart for nothing, or at least until I can throw in some Intiminators .

Thanks for the insight, matt
Are your forks slid up in the clamps? Frequently people lower the bike by moving the shock mounting bolt to the upper hole and sliding the forks up in the clamps. Obviously easy to reverse.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #46515
zune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
starting issues

Back from changing the gas and cleaning the carb.The spark looks week and plugs were black.Is it comman to have a bad coil or 2 fouled plugs at the same time.Thanks
zune is offline   Reply With Quote