User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #46501
zune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
starting issues

will the bike roll over if the safty switches are fallty.as far as the battery is seems to roll over like it always did.I leave the bike on a battery tender.When I put the bike in gear with the kickstand down it will not roll over.But when I put the bike in neutral it rolls over fine.
zune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #46502
zune
Adventurer

starting issues

can you tell me more about the little filter .
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #46503
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by zune View Post
can you tell me more about the little filter .
Pull the hose off the inlet tube and you should see the white top of it just sticking out. You will need a little screw driver or knife to pry it out. Just remove it to check if that is the problem, but don't run to long without it. It is pretty small.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #46504
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
I'm tired of this 40 mpg business and think I'll tear the carb completely down ('08 DR650) and clean and rebuild it.

Can anyone tell me what parts to get, or if there is a kit, what kit to get?
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #46505
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,446
Procycle offers a perfect kit , I just installed on my bike , plus the remote choke know and they include the template to cut out the sirbox. Easy , worth the time , my bike hasn't ever ran like this .
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #46506
zune
Adventurer

starting issues

the drain screw on the carb when loosened fuel will flow with the petcock in the prime position and the plugs are wet.I can't replace the plugs until tommorow.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #46507
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
the drain screw on the carb when loosened fuel will flow with the petcock in the prime position and the plugs are wet.I can't replace the plugs until tommorow.

So you have fuel. Did you try cleaning the plugs? Crank the engine over with the plugs out to clear the cylinder. You said you checked for spark?
Have you checked your valve clearance? When did the bike run last and how was it running? We need more info in order to help you out.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #46508
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Procycle offers a perfect kit , I just installed on my bike , plus the remote choke know and they include the template to cut out the sirbox. Easy , worth the time , my bike hasn't ever ran like this .
Thanks. I actually want to keep it stock -- i.e.. not cut the airbox. Does their kit allow that option?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #46509
zune
Adventurer

starting issues

The bike ran fine last week .I drove around the neigbhorhood ,shut the bike off and restarted it all day with no problems .2 days ago I wanted to go for a ride and no go.Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #46510
Rumlover
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Thanks. I actually want to keep it stock -- i.e.. not cut the airbox. Does their kit allow that option?
They do sell a repair kit that includes a new float needle and o-rings. I have heard that bad o-rings can hurt your mileage. An 08 seems a liitle new for carb problems, unless you have really racked up the miles. How is your fuel screw setting, air filter?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #46511
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
They do sell a repair kit that includes a new float needle and o-rings. I have heard that bad o-rings can hurt your mileage. An 08 seems a liitle new for carb problems, unless you have really racked up the miles. How is your fuel screw setting, air filter?
This bike has never yielded great fuel economy. It runs great and idles smooth but it just does not get above 40 mpg.

I notice they also sell a replacement float for the stock carb. How valuable is that to the fine-tuning picture?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #46512
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
DR650 Anakee tires at the flea market

SOLD! Thanks ADV Grifter & ADV Rider!

I just put a less than 100 mile set of Anakees for sale at the flea market. DR650 sizes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672440

thinairflyer screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 05:53 AM
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #46513
Rumlover
Ed

Quote:
This bike has never yielded great fuel economy. It runs great and idles smooth but it just does not get above 40 mpg.

I notice they also sell a replacement float for the stock carb. How valuable is that to the fine-tuning picture?
I would think float level could cause issues. Seems odd that a stock untouched carb would have one out of wack, but anything is possible. I would doubt you need a new one, if anything just adjust the existing ones height. There is a good resource for this carb --- just google the BST bible (wrote by a KTM guy) if you don't have a manual.

edit: BST40 bible

Rumlover screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 09:06 PM
Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #46514
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
switch

also check the kill switch right by the start button.......I've had that bugger get dirty/rusty and even in the run position the beast wouldn't start/run. If it has spark It has to be fuel.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #46515
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
I'm tired of this 40 mpg business and think I'll tear the carb completely down ('08 DR650) and clean and rebuild it.

Can anyone tell me what parts to get, or if there is a kit, what kit to get?
There are two o-rings on the float assembly; 15 and 16 here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/2004-suzuk...5873#sch502315

Quote:
the drain screw on the carb when loosened fuel will flow with the petcock in the prime position and the plugs are wet. I can't replace the plugs until tommorow.
Yes gas will flow until the float bowl is empty. So, put the petcock in run or reserve; fuel flow should STOP after the float bowl is empty. Let us know. Also, see my response above; about the two o-rings.

Quote:
No, it really doesn't. I live at 5800 ft and ride up from there. Stock jets, all I've done is remove the snorkel and cut a small hole in the top of the airbox (1.75 x 1.75 or there abouts). I always got above 160 miles before reserve, close to 60mpg: ride solo, 15t sprocket, don't abuse my DR, short shift, yada yada. This has lessened over the last year, I'm guessing my carb parts are wearing at 21,000 miles. Original chain is just about done, new one and sprockets on order.

So, what's your altitude??

The replacement stock float is $74.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 09:34 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote