Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #46531
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Anyone have a bug where the bike runs rough in cold weather? Under about 65 it runs fine, just not right. Hesitates and stutters. Above that, runs like a scalded dog. Any ideas?

This is regardless of engine temp.

Colder weather= need more fuel. Open your idle mixture screw another 1/4 turn.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #46532
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Sudco adapter?
The simple answer is, none of them.

The sleeve to make is 54.5mm ID x 58.5mm OD x 26mm long.
Ok, so 021-216A which is 58.8mm x 26mm. I don't see any point in having a sleeve fabricated when the fcr I have has the removable bell. For $40 I can buy one from Sudco and screw it on.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #46533
shu

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
Most 50/50 tires are only going to get around 2k +/- 1k miles. Mefo's seem to be pretty popular with the long distance touring crowd which would indicate they get decent mileage although they are pretty expensive ($250+ for a pair from what I've read).
This is true, a front will run ~$110 for a MEFO versus $37 for a Shinko 244, and $150 for a rear MEFO versus ~$50 for a Shinko. Total: $260 for MEFOS and $90 for Shinkos. That's a big difference right now when you take out your wallet, but over the long run the price difference is not that great.

If you're getting 2-3000 miles out of your Shinkos, they'll cost you $270 for 9,000 miles and for at least the last 1000 miles of each set you're running on worn down tires.

With MEFOs I get 7000 miles on a really nice rounded tire and could go another 2000 on a squared off rear. That gives me 9000 miles for $260- virtually the same price. I like gettting the 7000 good miles and usually take mine off when they get too square, so I might be paying a little more. On the other hand, I'm not sitting in my garage doing tire changes every 3-4 weeks, and I can easily take long trips without worrying about tires.

(Plus, the MEFO's are great tires to ride on.)

Just my .02..................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #46534
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Question Tire sizes and selection

I was thinking of the TW301/302 for the DR.

1) I am getting the 3.00x21 but there is a 3.00s listed...should I get the S rating? I don't think so, my bike only does 95 mph stock.

2) The only width I see for the 302 is a 4.60. That is within the stock size rating but I see some people go 5.10. Do you think I'll be unhappy with the 4.60?

Thanks.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #46535
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,281
Basketcase:
Do you know if the PO did any jetting changes? He may have drank the koolaid and made poor jetting selections. Since the DR's get pretty good mileage when stock, I'd confirm jetting; does your needle have 1 or several clip positions (for newer DR owners, stock needles have one, here in America. Seems the Aussies have 5?, as do some other countries).

Just for reference, as far as the noise with the side cover off: I couldn't stand it either. First I removed the snorkel, nice improvement. Since I live and ride above 5800ft, I decided to cut a hole in the top of the airbox, less than 2" square and since it's pointing straight up to the seat, there's unnoticeable increase in the noise. My jetting is stock and works well here.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #46536
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Question Pine sol for carbs

I saw a thread about Pine-sol to soak the carbs...anyone tried this with a DR? Makes me a bit nervous but those people think it works great.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #46537
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,281
That thread was written by Hondo IIRC. You can check his other posts if you'd like. I think one half his DNA is motorcycle.

Remember that it's diluted with water, not used full strength.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #46538
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
I'm looking for a shop manuel for my 97 dr 650. I found one at procycle for $70. Anybody got a used one layin around? I'm hearing noise from the bottom, sounds like timing chain slap when I trottle up under load.
Try 93 octane. Mine pings on 87 under load.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #46539
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
I saw a thread about Pine-sol to soak the carbs...anyone tried this with a DR? Makes me a bit nervous but those people think it works great.
I've done it with several carbs. Cut it 50/50 with water and it'll work fine. No reason to be nervous.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #46540
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I know the tire thing has been beat to death, but what the heck, nothing like flailing a dead horse. Gotta get it tender after all. (yes, I've searched, didn't find that much DR specific about the ones I have in mind).

I bought my bike primarily to explore, camp and play on forest service roads and perhaps mild trails here in North Idaho. We're kinda in dual sport heaven here. I figured most of my pavement time would be getting to and from the fun stuff. I bought the bike used with D606s, they seem to work well on what little I time I've put on it, on gravel. From what I've read, they would be a good choice for this intended use.

Now the problem....$4.19 diesel and a 85 mile round trip commute. I'm finding myself commuting with the bike and running more pavement than I had planned. The D606s seem to be wearing pretty quickly. I've only put on about 400 miles (did I mention I bought the bike in DE...in N. ID?), but they've worn noticably.

I see good reviews about the Shinko 244s, both for life, decent dirt and pavement performance and cost. Sounds like a good fit for me. I'll still be about 50/50 even with commuting, I have some gravel backroads to take on the way. Any experience with this tire? Or recommendations for something else? Any experience with these, vs D606s?

Thanks all. Some day I hope to have enough experience to contribute something...rather than just asking questions.
How about a Shinko 700 set??? or a more aggresive front tire with a Shinko 705 out back?

... 244's won't last and the 705 front is pretty mild off road.. I like the 705 on the rear for daily riding so, I will be trying the 700 front and 705 rear combo for dirt roads. I'm pretty happy with the shinko 705 on the rear, it wears well, grips good on pavement and dirt roads.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #46541
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerot View Post
Ok, so 021-216A which is 58.8mm x 26mm. I don't see any point in having a sleeve fabricated when the fcr I have has the removable bell. For $40 I can buy one from Sudco and screw it on.
MXRob sells them for a fair price.
https://docs.google.com/present/view...dhdt2jcm&pli=1
http://mxrob.com/index.html
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #46542
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I know the tire thing has been beat to death, but what the heck, nothing like flailing a dead horse. Gotta get it tender after all. (yes, I've searched, didn't find that much DR specific about the ones I have in mind).

I bought my bike primarily to explore, camp and play on forest service roads and perhaps mild trails here in North Idaho. We're kinda in dual sport heaven here. I figured most of my pavement time would be getting to and from the fun stuff. I bought the bike used with D606s, they seem to work well on what little I time I've put on it, on gravel. From what I've read, they would be a good choice for this intended use.

Now the problem....$4.19 diesel and a 85 mile round trip commute. I'm finding myself commuting with the bike and running more pavement than I had planned. The D606s seem to be wearing pretty quickly. I've only put on about 400 miles (did I mention I bought the bike in DE...in N. ID?), but they've worn noticably.

I see good reviews about the Shinko 244s, both for life, decent dirt and pavement performance and cost. Sounds like a good fit for me. I'll still be about 50/50 even with commuting, I have some gravel backroads to take on the way. Any experience with this tire? Or recommendations for something else? Any experience with these, vs D606s?

Thanks all. Some day I hope to have enough experience to contribute something...rather than just asking questions.
I get about 6K miles out of a rear Mefo Explorer. I usually go TKC 80 or 606 for the front. A front will usually last for two rear tires. If you do go Mefo front, running it backwards from what is marked will mitigate cupping a lot. You may also want to give the Heidenau K60's a look. Supposedly the 140 size lasts longer than the 130 size. I had a 130 size and only got 3500 miles out of it; I really liked the tread pattern though. Cheers, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #46543
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
This is true, a front will run ~$110 for a MEFO versus $37 for a Shinko 244, and $150 for a rear MEFO versus ~$50 for a Shinko. Total: $260 for MEFOS and $90 for Shinkos. That's a big difference right now when you take out your wallet, but over the long run the price difference is not that great.

If you're getting 2-3000 miles out of your Shinkos, they'll cost you $270 for 9,000 miles and for at least the last 1000 miles of each set you're running on worn down tires.

With MEFOs I get 7000 miles on a really nice rounded tire and could go another 2000 on a squared off rear. That gives me 9000 miles for $260- virtually the same price. I like gettting the 7000 good miles and usually take mine off when they get too square, so I might be paying a little more. On the other hand, I'm not sitting in my garage doing tire changes every 3-4 weeks, and I can easily take long trips without worrying about tires.

(Plus, the MEFO's are great tires to ride on.)

Just my .02..................shu
The math works for longer lasting tires, and less time spent fighting with tire irons, always a good thing. I have seen all kinds of claims on life for the 244s, from worn out in 3k to 6k with "half tread left".

I have do some more research, pls keep the comments coming!
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #46544
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Basketcase:
Do you know if the PO did any jetting changes? He may have drank the koolaid and made poor jetting selections. Since the DR's get pretty good mileage when stock, I'd confirm jetting; does your needle have 1 or several clip positions (for newer DR owners, stock needles have one, here in America. Seems the Aussies have 5?, as do some other countries).

Just for reference, as far as the noise with the side cover off: I couldn't stand it either. First I removed the snorkel, nice improvement. Since I live and ride above 5800ft, I decided to cut a hole in the top of the airbox, less than 2" square and since it's pointing straight up to the seat, there's unnoticeable increase in the noise. My jetting is stock and works well here.
Other than let it sit he didn't do anything after putting the few (289) original miles on it.

The needle has one clip position.

After reading all this I think I'm going to do the Pine-sol soak and replace all the o-rings, check the float settings (re, BST-40 Bible thread) and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #46545
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
IMS natural color DR650 tank

I had lightened the photo months ago & the tank looks a little more white, but check the threads/pics here & you'll see the natural ims tank is pretty white.

Mine definitely hasn't discolored in the 2 years I've had it, but that may be that it's not left out in the sun, etc.

I really prefer the natural color & the ability to monitor how much gas is left in my tank as I continuosly run it down to empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Good to know about the gas cap.

Regarding color:

Interesting, I would have thought the 'natural' color would not have looked as white as it does in the picture you posted. Is there gas in the tank in that picture?

I had a 'natural ' color Clark on my yellow DRZ and it looked more yellow than white.

Do they do that as they age?

Jon...
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote