Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #46531
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
I know the tire thing has been beat to death, but what the heck, nothing like flailing a dead horse. Gotta get it tender after all. (yes, I've searched, didn't find that much DR specific about the ones I have in mind).

I bought my bike primarily to explore, camp and play on forest service roads and perhaps mild trails here in North Idaho. We're kinda in dual sport heaven here. I figured most of my pavement time would be getting to and from the fun stuff. I bought the bike used with D606s, they seem to work well on what little I time I've put on it, on gravel. From what I've read, they would be a good choice for this intended use.

Now the problem....$4.19 diesel and a 85 mile round trip commute. I'm finding myself commuting with the bike and running more pavement than I had planned. The D606s seem to be wearing pretty quickly. I've only put on about 400 miles (did I mention I bought the bike in DE...in N. ID?), but they've worn noticably.

I see good reviews about the Shinko 244s, both for life, decent dirt and pavement performance and cost. Sounds like a good fit for me. I'll still be about 50/50 even with commuting, I have some gravel backroads to take on the way. Any experience with this tire? Or recommendations for something else? Any experience with these, vs D606s?

Thanks all. Some day I hope to have enough experience to contribute something...rather than just asking questions.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #46532
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Yep, you almost had it diagnosed. You had it down to weak spark and dark plugs. That was enough to tell me that this was the issue. Old fuel is usually the only reason for fouling plugs on a modern bike. I've only ever seen it happen in the spring when you try to run the first tank out.
I've seen the same thing happen with snowmobiles when parked over the summer. Fresh gas and a new set of plugs seems to straighten things out.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #46533
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 352
Anyone have a bug where the bike runs rough in cold weather? Under about 65 it runs fine, just not right. Hesitates and stutters. Above that, runs like a scalded dog. Any ideas?

This is regardless of engine temp.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #46534
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Anyone have a bug where the bike runs rough in cold weather? Under about 65 it runs fine, just not right. Hesitates and stutters. Above that, runs like a scalded dog. Any ideas?

Sounds like too much or too little fuel. Have you made any modifications lately (new pipe, hole in airbox, jetting, etc...)? Hesitation when you roll on the throttle is usually not enough fuel but when I jetted my honda recon (250cc) many years ago, I started out with a jet for a 300cc engine (much too large). It stuttered at low rpms, but once it wound up it ran great...sounds kind of like what's happening to you. I don't think the SC range of cold temps would affect it that much once the engine is warm.
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #46535
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerot View Post
I got a fcr 39 carb for my DR, and I'm looking for the Sudco adapter. I found Sudco's catalog with the adapters, but I'm not sure which one to order. Does anyone know which adapter I need to get?

Catalog page here
Sudco adapter?
The simple answer is, none of them.

The sleeve to make is 54.5mm ID x 58.5mm OD x 26mm long.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #46536
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I know the tire thing has been beat to death, but what the heck, nothing like flailing a dead horse. Gotta get it tender after all. (yes, I've searched, didn't find that much DR specific about the ones I have in mind).

I bought my bike primarily to explore, camp and play on forest service roads and perhaps mild trails here in North Idaho. We're kinda in dual sport heaven here. I figured most of my pavement time would be getting to and from the fun stuff. I bought the bike used with D606s, they seem to work well on what little I time I've put on it, on gravel. From what I've read, they would be a good choice for this intended use.

Now the problem....$4.19 diesel and a 85 mile round trip commute. I'm finding myself commuting with the bike and running more pavement than I had planned. The D606s seem to be wearing pretty quickly. I've only put on about 400 miles (did I mention I bought the bike in DE...in N. ID?), but they've worn noticably.

I see good reviews about the Shinko 244s, both for life, decent dirt and pavement performance and cost. Sounds like a good fit for me. I'll still be about 50/50 even with commuting, I have some gravel backroads to take on the way. Any experience with this tire? Or recommendations for something else? Any experience with these, vs D606s?

Thanks all. Some day I hope to have enough experience to contribute something...rather than just asking questions.
Most 50/50 tires are only going to get around 2k +/- 1k miles. Mefo's seem to be pretty popular with the long distance touring crowd which would indicate they get decent mileage although they are pretty expensive ($250+ for a pair from what I've read).

LINK to short list and description of popular DR tires:
http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Tires

Gas prices and commuting distance is why I have a TDI...it gets about the same or better mileage than my bike. Though I'm still affected by diesel fuel prices and it's a little more expensive to work on.

RamMan4x4 screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 01:14 PM
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #46537
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post

The 244's are quite a soft compound. I'd be inclined to run a 244 rear with an MT21 front. The MT21 isn't directional so you can reverse it when it starts wearing the back of the knobs under braking to make it last even longer.
I found the 244 rear would step out a lot when leaned over, but very smoothly.
It's enough of a knob to get you up the shale slopes but not enough knob that it rips up the ground in the process.

Having said that, I'd actually go for Shinko 705's now if there's no mud involved.
Shale downhills are not it's forte but it's a surprisingly capable tyre.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #46538
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post

Colder weather= need more fuel. Open your idle mixture screw another 1/4 turn.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #46539
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Sudco adapter?
The simple answer is, none of them.

The sleeve to make is 54.5mm ID x 58.5mm OD x 26mm long.
Ok, so 021-216A which is 58.8mm x 26mm. I don't see any point in having a sleeve fabricated when the fcr I have has the removable bell. For $40 I can buy one from Sudco and screw it on.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #46540
shu

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
Most 50/50 tires are only going to get around 2k +/- 1k miles. Mefo's seem to be pretty popular with the long distance touring crowd which would indicate they get decent mileage although they are pretty expensive ($250+ for a pair from what I've read).
This is true, a front will run ~$110 for a MEFO versus $37 for a Shinko 244, and $150 for a rear MEFO versus ~$50 for a Shinko. Total: $260 for MEFOS and $90 for Shinkos. That's a big difference right now when you take out your wallet, but over the long run the price difference is not that great.

If you're getting 2-3000 miles out of your Shinkos, they'll cost you $270 for 9,000 miles and for at least the last 1000 miles of each set you're running on worn down tires.

With MEFOs I get 7000 miles on a really nice rounded tire and could go another 2000 on a squared off rear. That gives me 9000 miles for $260- virtually the same price. I like gettting the 7000 good miles and usually take mine off when they get too square, so I might be paying a little more. On the other hand, I'm not sitting in my garage doing tire changes every 3-4 weeks, and I can easily take long trips without worrying about tires.

(Plus, the MEFO's are great tires to ride on.)

Just my .02..................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #46541
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Question Tire sizes and selection

I was thinking of the TW301/302 for the DR.

1) I am getting the 3.00x21 but there is a 3.00s listed...should I get the S rating? I don't think so, my bike only does 95 mph stock.

2) The only width I see for the 302 is a 4.60. That is within the stock size rating but I see some people go 5.10. Do you think I'll be unhappy with the 4.60?

Thanks.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #46542
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Basketcase:
Do you know if the PO did any jetting changes? He may have drank the koolaid and made poor jetting selections. Since the DR's get pretty good mileage when stock, I'd confirm jetting; does your needle have 1 or several clip positions (for newer DR owners, stock needles have one, here in America. Seems the Aussies have 5?, as do some other countries).

Just for reference, as far as the noise with the side cover off: I couldn't stand it either. First I removed the snorkel, nice improvement. Since I live and ride above 5800ft, I decided to cut a hole in the top of the airbox, less than 2" square and since it's pointing straight up to the seat, there's unnoticeable increase in the noise. My jetting is stock and works well here.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #46543
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Question Pine sol for carbs

I saw a thread about Pine-sol to soak the carbs...anyone tried this with a DR? Makes me a bit nervous but those people think it works great.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #46544
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
That thread was written by Hondo IIRC. You can check his other posts if you'd like. I think one half his DNA is motorcycle.

Remember that it's diluted with water, not used full strength.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #46545
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
I'm looking for a shop manuel for my 97 dr 650. I found one at procycle for $70. Anybody got a used one layin around? I'm hearing noise from the bottom, sounds like timing chain slap when I trottle up under load.
Try 93 octane. Mine pings on 87 under load.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote