Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #46621
quasi_inrem
And then suddenly....

Oddometer: 414
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigsnapper View Post
Taking Thumperlina down to Deals Gap at the end of the month for some schoolin', so had to get her a traveling outfit. She doesn't care that most are hand-me-downs from the ninja.

Zero Gravity Touring screen for 650r (front)

Zero Gravity Touring screen for 650r (side) Throttle Master bar ends (n/f)

Stebel Horn and Highway (Weber Grill) Pegs

Tool tube on PW plate

Oxford Heated grips and GPS

12v Power outlet with USB adaptor

Cortech Sport Bags

10 miles of aux fuel

Saddle bag spreaders and noze of the ZG screen

Looking at your 650. Looks great!! That windscreen...is it for a Ninja 650R? If not, what model would it be?
quasi_inrem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #46622
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I'm tired of this 40 mpg business and think I'll tear the carb completely down ('08 DR650) and clean and rebuild it.

Can anyone tell me what parts to get, or if there is a kit, what kit to get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Procycle offers a perfect kit , I just installed on my bike , plus the remote choke know and they include the template to cut out the sirbox. Easy , worth the time , my bike hasn't ever ran like this .
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Thanks. I actually want to keep it stock -- i.e.. not cut the airbox. Does their kit allow that option?
Buy a DR200? Wife gets 85mpg thrashing hers.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #46623
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Radley View Post
Thanks...this helps...a little. :)

Been wanting the remove the snorkel...I think I will start there and see what happens. Then maybe mess with the fuel screw...?
Welcome. Yes, pull the snorkel, it's a small, but noticeable improvement. I'd turn the fuel screw in a bit at a time, at least til you need the choke on a cold start. 'Cept you're in Kali; does it ever get cold there? Remember that the fuel screw flows any time the engine is running, so a little leaner is always leaner. This can make a difference in a tankful. With your low altitude, the stock jetting is likely lean, so you get the performance I can only dream about. On the other hand, I get the mileage you can only dream about.

Yep, you need to buy an IMS 4.9 gal tank.

RaceTech emulators, fork springs, a Cogent shock upgrade, meybee a front knobbie and that KTM will be lookin' over his shoulder thinkin' "Who is that guy?"

Damn, this thread moves fast.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 05:44 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #46624
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I think I just saw another post (maybe TT), someone runs slime in addition to his Tubliss(sp?) system.
I've heard mixed reviews on the Tubliss systems ... but I've run SLIME on various bikes since about 1998. Works well most times ... sometimes the only way you know you've got a puncture are the little green Tell Tale dots on your tire. Great for Cactus spines and small staples and nails. Not so effective on larger nails and stuff. Still, a good thing. Downside? Not easy to patch a tube that has been Slime'd.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #46625
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
This is starting to bug me. I'm getting an annoying rattle from the chain on the rear chain guide. So today I pulled the two screws that hold the bottom friction plate off the rear guide and without the plate the noise is gone. The rest of the bike is so nice I'd really like to get rid of this rattle that makes it sound like an old truck on a washboard road!
My 2001 didn't rattle at all, my 2004 rattled like Zuki left the rod bearing out. I titened the chain one click and that helped; BUT now the chain was too tight. So, I loosened the chain and rode the bike, downshifting sooner helped.

Sometime later (1000 miles?), I was riding along and thought "Hey, where'd that rattle go?" Yes, I hated it, but it went away as the nylon slipper wore in.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #46626
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
This is starting to bug me. The bike is nice and tight but I'm getting an annoying rattle from the chain on the rear chain guide. I replaced the front lower wheel with a bearing type thinking that was what was making the noise but no luck. So today I pulled the two screws that hold the bottom friction plate off the rear guide and without the plate the noise is gone.

Now I know I'll have to replace it eventually but maybe I'll do it sooner than later if...............and here's my question, are the heavy duty after market rear guides any quieter the stock POS ?

The rest of the bike is so nice I'd really like to get rid of this rattle that makes it sound like an old truck on a washboard road!
Most of us have gone through the chasing rattles phase. Both upper and lower chain rollers make noise ... ball bearing or no. I took both off my bike.

Most guys never figure out the guide as a source of noise ... the fact you did means you've got good ears

My solution was to use an old piece of HD rubber used to wrap round the swing arm. (off an old bike) I removed guide, cleaned it 100% ... then cut rubber strip to fit. I glued it in with Gorilla Glue along the bottom run of the chain guide. It's been there over 2 years. No noise and it hasn't fallen off.

The stock Suzuki chain guide is actually fine. But they DO wear out eventually and without it ... you can de-rail your chain in rough terrain or whoops off road. Leave it on but make it quiet.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #46627
twigsnapper
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi_inrem View Post
Looking at your 650. Looks great!! That windscreen...is it for a Ninja 650R? If not, what model would it be?
Thanks and yes, it was the sport touring screen from zero gravity for the 06-08 650r. Just had to trim the bottom a bit, under the Touareg it use to have the ADV. If you look below the license plate you'll see what was dremel'd off.
2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #46628
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
New inmate, first post.
Welcome to the asylum.

Quote:
Are you saying that if the chain roller is in place to take it off or just make sure it hasn't been torn off?

Quote:
What's the reasoning behind taking it off?
Zuki mounted it about an inch too low. On a full compression g-load under power (top of the chain is under tension), the straight line from the top of the front and rear sprockets runs through the roller; taking it off eventually. Sometimes. If it's still there, it's probably safe to ride home.

Quote:
I'm very new to DS bikes, have a lot of miles on the street, IBA etc.

Thanks.

John E
Nothing has prepared you for the stock DR seat.

Quote:
Since I've sorta opened a door here and in the spirit of the amazing toolkit thread that I read in it's entirely, what sized wrenches/sockets will I need for a 2005 DR?

I've got a decent kit that I use on my BMW but I'd like to put something together for the DR to take with me when I go to pick it up.

Thanks
This isn't a BMW, if you're picking it up in North America, bring your helmet. Otherwise, you'll need a boat. 'Cept for the seat, now that's gonna hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Most guys never figure out the guide as a source of noise ... the fact you did means you've got good ears

Quote:
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #46629
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Are you kidding me? How do folks get this kind of mileage? I am on an '05 stock everything and average 46 mpg. Yesterday I stalled at a light (after filtering to the front...wasn't fun) with 106 miles on the trip-o- and needed to hit reserve!! Am I riding that aggressively, or do I need to start "tuning" my air/fuel? I dread this as I have never done it before. I assume I am a little rich as I have never (almost 2 years) had to use the choke.
Quote:
Thanks...this helps...a little. :)

Been wanting the remove the snorkel...I think I will start there and see what happens. Then maybe mess with the fuel screw...?

If your jetting is stock it will be lean. They do this from the factory in order to pass emissions. By removing the snorkel you will be leaning it out even more which can cause serious engine problems. Do you clean your air filter regularly? A dirty air filter would explain both your poor mileage and the lack of choke on starts. If you are going to remove the snorkel (after making sure the filter is clean and oiled) you will need to raise the needle by either shimming it with a small washer or buying an adjustable needle. The fuel screw only tunes your idle and the first part of the throttle opening. The needle controls the mid range throttle opening and the main controls wide open flow (to my understanding anyway). This is assuming that you jetting is all stock. If you aren't sure then you will need to open her up and check before making any changes or you will be guessing at everything.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #46630
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Welcome to the asylum.

Zuki mounted it about an inch too low. On a full compression g-load under power (top of the chain is under tension), the straight line from the top of the front and rear sprockets runs through the roller; taking it off eventually. Sometimes. If it's still there, it's probably safe to ride home.

Nothing has prepared you for the stock DR seat.

This isn't a BMW, if you're picking it up in North America, bring your helmet. Otherwise, you'll need a boat. 'Cept for the seat, now that's gonna hurt.

Thanks for the info.

I'm picking it up in Arizona, riding it home to CA.

Don't ride without a helmet, pretty much an ATGATT kinda guy.

John E

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #46631
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,344
I like the T-63 rear tire, I run it with the Pireilli MT 21 front.

Tool kits, the best way to figure out what tools to carry is to work on the bike and take note of the tools you use, those are the ones to pack.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #46632
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
used bike

When looking at a used DR besides what the others suggested, I would look at the two chain adjusters....... If they are maxed out you may need new chain/sprokets. Are the sproket teeth curved forward?........another indication of chain/sproket wear.
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #46633
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like John is doing a fly-n-ride and wanted to show up with the tools to get home.

BMW's can't go that far without tools, DR's doit alla time. J/K

If it breaks, all he has to do is post here; someone will pick him up.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #46634
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I'm picking it up in Arizona, riding it home to CA.

Don't ride without a helmet, pretty much an ATGATT kinda guy.

John E

You will need a better seat, You might just as well get the seat first and take it along to pick up the new bike.
Or at the very least bring some kind of seat pad with you.

For me the stock seat had me in pain in less than an hour.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #46635
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Are you kidding me? How do folks get this kind of mileage? I am on an '05 stock everything and average 46 mpg. Yesterday I stalled at a light (after filtering to the front...wasn't fun) with 106 miles on the trip-o- and needed to hit reserve!! Am I riding that aggressively, or do I need to start "tuning" my air/fuel? I dread this as I have never done it before. I assume I am a little rich as I have never (almost 2 years) had to use the choke.
Sounds like your choke may be partially stuck closed (on). It's not uncommon to get some binding in the stock choke cable. Mine was sticky from new and hard to start, replaced it with a choke knob and all's well now.Maybe a dirty air filter, or low tire pressure too? Also if you're idling in heavy traffic, your economy will always be worse than constant highway miles.