User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #46621
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Thanks!

That's pretty much exactly what I needed to know.

Sounds like my standard toolkit oughta do just fine for now, I'll make up a new one just for the DR when I get it home.

Now about that seat...

I rode my Concours with a stock seat 1620 miles in just under 24 hours, is the DR seat really that bad? My route home is just over 420 miles on mostly 2 lane roads/highways and I figured on taking an entire day to do it, I don't have a problem stopping if needed.

I've learned to leave my ego at home, especially when riding a new to me bike on a longish ride. I bought my FJ1200 from a guy in New Mexico and rode it home, same thing with the BMW, picked it up in Oakland and rode it home the next day after ducking out of a rainstorm. But you guys obviously know a helluva lot more about the DR than I do so I'll take that under serious advisement.

I guess I could try and pick up an Airhawk or a sheepskin and take it with me.

I hate to buy a Corbin or something similar until I've had a chance to try the bike out first.

Hmmm...

P.S. thanks again for the nice welcome, I've been reading some RR's since I signed up here, seems to be a pretty great group of people here. There really is something about this riding culture we're all a part of.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #46622
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
DR seat

For the trip home, pick up a Stearns ATV seat cover from Walmart for $14. Not the same as a custom seat, but it will get you home still able to walk at least. After that you can decide which way to go with an aftermarket seat.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #46623
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
That's pretty much exactly what I needed to know.

Sounds like my standard toolkit oughta do just fine for now, I'll make up a new one just for the DR when I get it home.

Now about that seat...

I rode my Concours with a stock seat 1620 miles in just under 24 hours, is the DR seat really that bad? My route home is just over 420 miles on mostly 2 lane roads/highways and I figured on taking an entire day to do it, I don't have a problem stopping if needed.

I've learned to leave my ego at home, especially when riding a new to me bike on a longish ride. I bought my FJ1200 from a guy in New Mexico and rode it home, same thing with the BMW, picked it up in Oakland and rode it home the next day after ducking out of a rainstorm. But you guys obviously know a helluva lot more about the DR than I do so I'll take that under serious advisement.

I hate to buy a Corbin or something similar until I've had a chance to try the bike out first. .
I agree with what 3dChief said... maybe start out on the stock seat, but plan a trip by a local Walmart for one of those seat covers. Once you get to experience the stock DR seat, you'll know by the time you get home that you want to get something else... then it's just a matter of deciding which one works for you.

OR maybe you have that unique one in a thousand butt that is fine with the stock seat plus the cover. Who knows. :)

Rob
(loves his Bill Mayer seat)
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #46624
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Since you'll be riding long distances to get home, you could bring one of those decorative pillows the 'significant other' puts on the couch.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #46625
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Just a quick note to say "thanks for the ride". I have sold the Dr650 and bought a TDM 900 so will stay a little in the mud.

Thanks for the tips and advice, I doubt many forums have such a wealth of knowledge with as many members happy to share that knowledge.

Cheers from NZ..... Home of the 2011 Rugby World Cup
Attached Images

NZDrRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #46626
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Remember ... your tires have TUBES in them. Bring a 24mm wrench for the rear axle and 19mm (or is it 17mm?) wrench for the front. And of course ... Two Spare Tubes! A 17" and a 21" along with three tire irons and some skill on tire changing. The front is easy to change ... the rear? depends on which tire is mounted.
Quote:
Now about that seat...
I rode my Concours with a stock seat 1620 miles in just under 24 hours, is the DR seat really that bad?
In a word .... YES! A Connie is a Barka-lounger by comparison. The DR seat will cripple you. You'll have to stop every 100 miles or so and walk around for a while. A pad will help but the basic platform is very narrow .... and that is the problem.
But no worries ... you can make it easy in a day ... just take LONG breaks, stretch, drink water, relax, you will be fine. Have fun, ride safe!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #46627
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjAga View Post
Don't ya have a tah? How much rpms was at this speed? (70 mph = 112.5 kmh that's not too much for this bike i think?)
No it's not much will do 160kph [indicated] bog stock standard.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #46628
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
+1 on welcome to the asylum.

Quote:
The stock DR tool kit is next to, but not completely useless. Almost anything you carry with you will be an improvement.

I had a Moto-man tool roll still in the wrapper that my wife had given me for Christmas several years ago, so I kept the OEM plug tools and gradually built a basic "trail kit" in it using spare wrenches, pliers, etc. That said, if the DR you are picking up is in any kind of decent running condition it should get you home without mishap.

The most likely and wholly unpredictable mechanical scenario you will face is a flat tire. Someone else commented on taking along tire tools and and spare tubes and that is good advice. Naturally, do include some way of inflating the tire in the plan.

If you do not have them already, an inexpensive set of tire levers can be had at many m/c shops. In the interest of space consolidation I bought the specialized tire tools for the DR that are sold by Procycle. They have box ends for the axle bolts and spades for levering the beads.

Quote:
Now about that seat ... is the DR seat really that bad?

I hate to buy a Corbin or something similar until I've had a chance to try the bike out first.
Yes, the stock seat really is that bad. To my recollection I have not read a single post where a rider raves about the virtues of the stock seat. Just saying...

My '08 DR was bought from the original owner with 289 miles on it. When I got to the 600 mile service I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, and installed a Sargeant lo-seat! I know the seat swap is not part of the service per Suzuki specs, but my butt has been thanking me ever since.

My longest day on the DR was on the way back from Montana last year -- right at 500 miles. An air-Hawk or sheepskin will get you by until you can decide which aftermarket seat fits your preferences. There is a DR link at Wiki with loads of good info, and the DR Index thread here will get you to some other info on seat options.

I may have missed it as I read earlier, but if the bike you are getting does not have a bash plate on it, my first suggestion for an add on would be to protect the engine casings. I went with the Southwest Moto-tech plate.

Quote:
Hmmm...

P.S. thanks again for the nice welcome, I've been reading some RR's since I signed up here, seems to be a pretty great group of people here. There really is something about this riding culture we're all a part of.
Your story sounds a lot like mine ... rode BMW's and other bikes, bought them out of state and rode them home, bit on a dual sport after reading ride reports here. Got active here upon gleaning between the lines that after one sorts through the (often hilarious) minutia and hoopla there is a bunch of stand-up folks around the place who don't mind sharing their hard earned practical insights.

My gut says you've already fit right in with the resident lunatics!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #46629
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
We are already burning corn juice down here so, that can't be too good on rubber o-rings over time.
Corn juice here too.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #46630
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
This is starting to bug me. The bike is nice and tight but I'm getting an annoying rattle from the chain on the rear chain guide. I replaced the front lower wheel with a bearing type thinking that was what was making the noise but no luck. So today I pulled the two screws that hold the bottom friction plate off the rear guide and without the plate the noise is gone.

Now I know I'll have to replace it eventually but maybe I'll do it sooner than later if...............and here's my question, are the heavy duty after market rear guides any quieter the stock POS ?

The rest of the bike is so nice I'd really like to get rid of this rattle that makes it sound like an old truck on a washboard road!
Keintech makes a nice one. I have it on my bike.

DR650 Adjustable chain guide
Adjustable chain guide for running large rear sprockets or standard.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #46631
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Stock seat

I guess I'm one of those 1 in 1,000 folks because although the stock seat is not as nice as the Mustang seat on my other bike, I do not find it to be that bad. For sure it's 10 times better than the stock seat on a DRZ400.

I usually stop every 100 miles or so for gas and a smoke (not while filling the tank....LOL) and I could probably ride all day that way. For sure I know I can ride from Yakima, WA to Portland, OR (187 miles) in heavy rain on the freeway and still walk after I arrive.

I agree with the other folks, stop when you get tired and walk around if needed and you should be fine.

Jon...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #46632
bigfish5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have two thoughts. First off i have almost always lived with whatever seat came on my bike. I had an 08klr before this dr and the seat wasnt all that great but i lived with it. The dr seat was WATER TORTURE, the first day i rode it to work , which is 30 miles, but takes an hour. I felt like i had my azz beat with a 2x4 the whole way it. I work at a large seating company and naturally had planned on putting our seat on anyway. I walked "limped" in the door and told my buds at work to get my seat together because it couldnt wait. The ride home was much much better but i was still sore from the morning ride. Worst seat i have ever sat on.

As for the chain noise. I hated the dr chain noise when i got the bike. It was crazy noisy, i put on the ball bearing chain roller from Kientech and it stopped about half of it. Here is my question. How will the upgraded metal chain guide actually stop the rest? It seems like the chain is still going to slap it also. The inside of the metal guide look to be just pieces of plastic like the stocker. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My 05 dr650, had 431 miles on it when i bought it in February.

bigfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #46633
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
The guy I bought my bike from had reversed the insert in the rear chain guide by flipping it 180 deg so the top was on the bottom.

He said it helped but it's been so long since my last DR I honestly can't tell if it helped or not since I do not remember what my other bike sounded like.

Jon...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #46634
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,387
One more thought about tools, for the first ride you might look at AAA coverage with motocycle towing. You most likely won't need it on the DR but sometimes just getting home it better than learning about your motorcycle on the side of the road in the dark and rain.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #46635
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
One more thought about tools, for the first ride you might look at AAA coverage with motocycle towing. You most likely won't need it on the DR but sometimes just getting home it better than learning about your motorcycle on the side of the road in the dark and rain.
Sound advice if in doubt. My insurance includes roadside assistance.

IMHO, unless the bike is a complete dog that was left laying on it's side in a barn for a year, or one that some weenie went to school on and left in a FUBAR status due to incompetent mechanicking aptitudes, it will get him home no problem.

I'll look forward to hearing the rest of the story!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote