Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #47536
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie083188 View Post
hey guys, im no electrition but i just cant get the bike to turn on. i know i blew a fuse or relay or something, but where is the question.i tried turning it on aftr the accedent, the lights turned on then when i kit the start button, i heard a clicking sound come from the back. then nothing. nothing turned on any more. i pulled off a relay looking thing located near the back over the rectifier (its coated by rubber) and put it back on. and to my suprise the lights turned on again. i pressed the button a gain and the BUZZ~~. nothing again, but now when i repeat what i did before nothing happens. what could be wrong?
thanks in advance
-mike
The clicking sound is probably the solenoid to the starter. It sounds like you don't have enough juice to turn the starter over. Does the light dim significantly when you hit the starter?

As hard as you hit that light, I wouldn't be surprised if the internals of the battery are toast. You could have the battery load tested at any auto parts store (usually for free) or you can do it the shade tree mechanic way and put a voltmeter on the battery while you hit the starter, it should drop some but should stay near 12V. When my truck battery was on its last legs, it dropped to 6V while cranking and barely turned the engine over.

EDIT: you can also easily check voltage to the starter but it doesn't sound like a blown fuse to me.
08 Suzuki DR 650 - 15k, FCR-MX, GSXR-40F0, Header mod, TKC80, SC Seat, PWD Skid Plate, TCI Rack, TCI HL Guard, Wolfman Wolf Tail, DR250 TL, Ulysses Windscreen and Turn Signals, IMS tank, Raptor Petcock, GL Coyote and Fandango Bags, MR Tie Downs
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #47537
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,447
Wolfie:
Thanks for posting the video; ugly indeed.

Another ole guy jumping on the pile:
You have two paths to take:
1. Buy a frame, deal with the state regulations to get a title. Move all the parts to the replacement frame.

2. Part out this bike. Then with all the money you make (plus your $1000), buy a replacement DR: the better choice. IMO

In either case, why the bike won't start now, is irrelevant. You'll find it in the swap to the new frame.

When you bend something bad enough to chip the paint, it has moved significantly. The elongation of the top tube (toward the rear) is HUGE. The initial hit, below the lower triple, should not have bent the top tube toward the tank; it should have bent the bottom tube. How does that look?

Good luck with your decision.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #47538
wolfie083188
Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
The clicking sound is probably the solenoid to the starter. It sounds like you don't have enough juice to turn the starter over. Does the light dim significantly when you hit the starter?

As hard as you hit that light, I wouldn't be surprised if the internals of the battery are toast. You could have the battery load tested at any auto parts store (usually for free) or you can do it the shade tree mechanic way and put a voltmeter on the battery while you hit the starter, it should drop some but should stay near 12V. When my truck battery was on its last legs, it dropped to 6V while cranking and barely turned the engine over.

EDIT: you can also easily check voltage to the starter but it doesn't sound like a blown fuse to me.
ill try that but i doubt its that. when it turned on for the second time i tried turning the key and the headlight was on, but when i hit the start button, it clicked like it was the solenoid like you said, but the everything shut off not dimmed. just completly shut off. i turn the key and hit the turn signal swithch band the dash doesent even light up after the whole starting attempt.
wolfie083188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #47539
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,323
I have a hard time seeing how bad valve guides could break a timing chain.
I have had bikes with guides so worn the valve moved 1/4 inch, and puff's of smoke came out every shift, and nothing happened other then worn valve seats in the head (from the valves sliding closed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaud14 View Post
So I was warming up the bike last week, and while idling it just shut off. All compression was lost and long story short it was a broken timing chain from the guides being worn down too much.

I've got all of the parts on order, and was just wondering if someone could tell me how to get my timing correct when I put the new chain on. Also, the easiest way to put the new chain on?

Not my favorite way to start the riding season, especially after receiving my new pumper carb, which hasn't had a chance to be put on yet :(

Alex

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #47540
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have a hard time seeing how bad valve guides could break a timing chain.
I have had bikes with guides so worn the valve moved 1/4 inch, and puff's of smoke came out every shift, and nothing happened other then worn valve seats in the head (from the valves sliding closed).
I think he meant chain guides, not valve guides.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #47541
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,323
That makes a lot more sense, but is still odd on a DR!

On other Suzuki's, you put the crank at tdc and then line up lines on the sprocket or cam to the top of the head.
Both valves should be closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think he meant chain guides, not valve guides.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #47542
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
That makes a lot more sense, but is still odd on a DR!

On other Suzuki's, you put the crank at tdc and then line up lines on the sprocket or cam to the top of the head.
Both valves should be closed.
It's got four valves.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #47543
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Pedant! Both pairs of valves.
Hilarious! First time I'd seen the word....had to look it up....then found out what it means. Appropriate usage.

Oh, and I obviously aint not one.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #47544
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie083188 View Post
ill try that but i doubt its that. when it turned on for the second time i tried turning the key and the headlight was on, but when i hit the start button, it clicked like it was the solenoid like you said, but the everything shut off not dimmed. just completly shut off. i turn the key and hit the turn signal swithch band the dash doesent even light up after the whole starting attempt.
Maybe a short to ground somewhere...trace the wiring, especially around the battery and the triple clamp.

ER makes a good point though, the fact that it doesn't start right now isn't a huge deal, at least not in the long run. After reading the last several pages since your wreck, my only advice to you (not that you asked for it) is to slow down and I'm not referring to how you ride. It's only been two days and you've already got parts ordered that you don't know for sure will fit. Between this site, TT, and DRriders, there is an abundant of information out there and you're only hurting yourself by not reading/researching before you make a decision.
08 Suzuki DR 650 - 15k, FCR-MX, GSXR-40F0, Header mod, TKC80, SC Seat, PWD Skid Plate, TCI Rack, TCI HL Guard, Wolfman Wolf Tail, DR250 TL, Ulysses Windscreen and Turn Signals, IMS tank, Raptor Petcock, GL Coyote and Fandango Bags, MR Tie Downs
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #47545
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey guys, here's a video from my trip across the Brazilian Amazon on the famed BR-230 TransAmazonica Highway across the jungle. A remote track cutting across the largest rainforest in the world. The road is pretty straight for the most part but got hilly, here and there. It was nice to get up close and see what this famous jungle is about, but also sad to see how much of it is being burnt down for cattle ranches.

Filmed with a GoPro HD camera. August 2010.
Part of my 2 year trip around Latin America and Africa.Click here for more Videos.
Nice video and quite an adventure you have taken on. I also checked out some of your site/blog but will have to go back to it when I have more time to do so.

I also like how the bike has been setup

Thanks for sharing,

Jon...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #47546
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
No chase trucks. We base out of Pismo Beach, motel it there for two nights. The ride begins in Tres Pinos at the breakfast place there (great!), lunch in Parkfield. Route varies depending on weather, mud and make up of group. Typically one ride is street based, the other dual sport.
We've been doing this ride over 15 years.

Yes, the SF Northstars did Songdog for years. We don't go there much now.

Not sure when the next Pismo ride is ... I'll PM you in advance
once I find out.

From the Los Padres dropping down to Cuyama.

Carrizo plain

Dirt alternative up to Army base. About 15 miles of fun. Don't try to keep up with this guy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #47547
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrod View Post
Hell , I been a mechanic for 24 years and just sold my 98 Corolla that I have had for 11 years with 377,000 km having changed the oil every 8K using good old petroleum based 5W30 every time. I guess I could have been using synthetic, for what reason? I do believe that synthetic is a better product, however just how many more klicks would I have got out of that Corolla for the price of synthetic? Likely not many. It's still going strong apparently at 425K?
Your Corolla is liquid cooled and likely never is driven in temps much over 70F. (Canada)

Your DR650 is AIR/OIL cooled and runs much hotter in general. Summers in the West and South West get just slightly warmer than up North.

The DR benefits hugely from synthetic oil. Basically turns a 50,000 mile motor into a 100,000 mile motor. (if 3rd gear and and NSU bolts don't get you )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #47548
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
My 2005 DR650 starts OK cold, but...

...it seems to take quite a while to warm up enough to run marginally enough to start riding. Once the engine has run for 6 or 7 minutes everything is fine, however.

My setup:
05 DR
Stock carb
No carb work done
Bar mounted choke
Stock tank and petcock

Any ideas what the problem could be, or are the DRs just cold blooded beasts?

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #47549
wolfie083188
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
Maybe a short to ground somewhere...trace the wiring, especially around the battery and the triple clamp.

ER makes a good point though, the fact that it doesn't start right now isn't a huge deal, at least not in the long run. After reading the last several pages since your wreck, my only advice to you (not that you asked for it) is to slow down and I'm not referring to how you ride. It's only been two days and you've already got parts ordered that you don't know for sure will fit. Between this site, TT, and DRriders, there is an abundant of information out there and you're only hurting yourself by not reading/researching before you make a decision.
i know, this bikes my primary and i have no other transportation. i just sold my car 3 weeks ago. Need to get her up and running asap. and im not going blind here, i found someone who did the mod:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255915

ill be going by that page to guide me and my neighbor is helping me out. he loves projects like this
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #47550
wolfie083188
Adventurer

now a quick question. to get the ignition switch off the top triple tree, what tool will i need?