Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #47686
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by devriescharles View Post
Found a FCR-MX for 100 dollars. Think it is worth buying up? I dont really know what people are getting for them. Have read over robs install and would like to here if people are having good results with the mod with out horrible gas mileage hits? Any ideas of how much more money it will take to get it all set up for the dr650? Thanks
Its all in how you jet it. I get 50-55 MPG. I don't baby it but also rarely cruise at 70+ for long distances. Jetted correctly, there is no reason why you should get worse economy. Also don't see any altitude issues, but I do make a slight needle position adjustment if I am going to be >5000 ft for long periods...just makes the fuel economy better but I don't think there would be a drivability issue if you did not.

The engine doesn't care what carb is on the bike. The correct F/A mixture for any given condition is always the same. So there is absolutely no reason that a carb change alone should affect fuel economy assuming that the jetting is perfect on both. The BST and FCR should hit the same fuel delivery at steady state cruise assuming jetting is correct. However, the FCR is miles better in fuel delivery during transitions and lower RPM operation due to no vacuum slide flutter and the AP's ability to deal with the surge of fuel needed when the throttle is cracked. Actually, the FCR can be jetted leaner at cruise than the BST, because the BST has to be richer than perfect so you don't get a huge lean stumble during acceleration due to no AP fuel squirt.

Now, a few reasons why you can see worse economy...
-Its more fun to crank they throttle and pull wheelies than with stock..so you do it more.
-With the accelerator pump...if you don't have a steady throttle hand and constantly vary throttle...you may take a bit of a hit. Each twist of the wrist squirts fuel in. Not saying you have to be steady as a sniper...but I have seen many people who cant even drive a car down the highway without constantly moving the accelerator (speed up..slow down..speed up ..slow down etc). Normally those are the fools who show a complete lack of ability to pay attention to what they are doing.

As far as conversion cost...Procycle has a "MX ROB" FCR kit. You can get the basic kit with one set of jets for $25 and a full kit with several more mains to adjust for altitude and other mods, an extended screw, and the required AP spring for $75. Only remaining thing is the air boot adapter..which may run $50-100 depending on who you can find to machine it.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #47687
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.dica View Post
where does the "reserve" come from on the 4.9 IMS petcock? Within the tank is just a filter tower for the fuel to enter the primary fuel line, but there is no tube or anything I notice bringing fuel from the other side of the tank. I'm confused. I feel like turning the knob to reserve wouldnt do anything.
There is no tube from the other side of the tank and there is no separate 'reserve tank'. As I recall, the 'main tank' feeds down to the top of the tube above the petcock. When you switch to reserve you open up a hole at the bottom of the tube.

There will always be some fuel (~ 0.5 L) remaining on the right side of the tank that you can't use unless you tip the bike over. I don't usually do that because that low spot in the tank is also where sand and crud in the gas collects. It's easy to see that in the natural colored tank.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #47688
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
There is no tube from the other side of the tank and there is no separate 'reserve tank'. As I recall, the 'main tank' feeds down to the top of the tube above the petcock. When you switch to reserve you open up a hole at the bottom of the tube.

There will always be some fuel (~ 0.5 L) remaining on the right side of the tank that you can't use unless you tip the bike over. I don't usually do that because that low spot in the tank is also where sand and crud in the gas collects. It's easy to see that in the natural colored tank.

..............shu
Good stuff Shu!
Be aware the IMS does not give you much reserve ... about 10 to 15 miles?
Once you run dry ... as Shu says ... you can tip the bike over getting gas from that right side lobe over to the left. Good for maybe 10 more miles if you're lucky.

Fuel line routing and the addition of in-line filters can also effect range. YMMV.
I run no in line filters and do a "loop" with the fuel line. My metal fuel inlet tube has been rotated from stock 12 O'clock position over to
9 O'clock position. Seems to allow the use of almost ALL the fuel in IMS tank.
Before I did this bike would run dry (after using main tank and reserve) but there was still about 3/4 of a gallon left in the tank.

Now, when reserve runs dry there is only about a pint left in tank. 240 mile range.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #47689
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Hi All,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a set of Shinko 244s. I'm new to sorting out tire sizes. Can you confirm sizing, I'm looking at the 3.00-21 front, 4.6-17 rear.

Thanks
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #47690
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good stuff Shu!
Be aware the IMS does not give you much reserve ... about 10 to 15 miles?
Once you run dry ... as Shu says ... you can tip the bike over getting gas from that right side lobe over to the left. Good for maybe 10 more miles if you're lucky.
What tap are you running?
I'm getting about 30km from reserve.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #47691
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
What tap are you running?
I'm getting about 30km from reserve.

What is a TAP? Translate that to terrible american english please

I use the IMS petcock- about 210-215 miles on main tank then about another 25 miles on reserve. She is pretty dry by then!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #47692
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
What is a TAP? Translate that to terrible american english please

I use the IMS petcock- about 210-215 miles on main tank then about another 25 miles on reserve. She is pretty dry by then!
TAP = Petcock
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #47693
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
TAP
  • A valve and spout used to regulate delivery of a fluid at the end of a pipe.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #47694
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
Props to Seat Concepts

I purchased a firm seat concept for my dr and it did not work for me. I advertised it in the flea market and the good people at seat concepts said send them the seat and they will swap the firm for the soft. I sent the seat and they gave me new foam and cover and installed it and shipped it back to me on their dime. I must say I have high expectations when I give people my money for something and most of the time I am disappointed but this goes beyond anything I would have ever expected and if you deal with seat concepts you will be a happy customer. A tip of the hat to seat concepts.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #47695
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Excellent explanation!
Getting the mixture right will also make for better starting, smoother idling ... and best of all ... will save fuel. Running the fuel air mixture too rich wastes a lot of fuel on the overrun. (Like down shifting, shut throttle)

I turn the mixture screw IN (clockwise) until idle begins to stumble ... then back it out just until stumbling stops ... usually no more than 1/8 turn out from stumble point. I don't mind a bit of a rough idle, saves gas.

At high altitude lean it out even more for proper idle and better starting.
that is traditionally true with CV carbs but i have found (as many others) that tuning it that way produces an off-idle bog. i've turned my screw back to 1 turn out and the bog is gone...this setting does not produce the best idle but the engine runs better because no bog...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #47696
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ARX View Post
TAP
  • A valve and spout used to regulate delivery of a fluid at the end of a pipe.

The only pipes I have on my bikes are exhaust...and no taps on them. While I do have "hoses" for gas...maybe that is why I use a petcock!

Just messing with you guys. After I wrote it I kind of figured it out. Thanks though.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #47697
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
The only pipes I have on my bikes are exhaust...and no taps on them. While I do have "hoses" for gas...maybe that is why I use a petcock!

Just messing with you guys. After I wrote it I kind of figured it out. Thanks though.
Quite common in Oz and kiwi land and even the UK to refer to the "petcock" as the "tap" matter of fact I had never heard someone call it the "petcock" until I came on here.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #47698
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
Fcr

I went with the FCR because I've used them before on my Bergs and played with them on other's Yams. I used MXRobs specs as a starting point and have leaned it off a bit. Maybe our fuel is different, and I'm at 800 m. Really wakes up and smoothes out the power delivery, and no impact on consumption for me. MXRob can supply a bellmouth adaptor too if you email him. Details in the link in my sig.

For mostly cruising though its probably not worth the expense over a properly setup BST40. As the terrain gets more technical, the benefits are appreciated more and more, like suspension, but just putt around and there is not much point.

Steve
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #47699
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,112
My favourtite kind of mail.

Quote:
Thanks for shopping with Procycle!

Your order has been shipped to you on 04/18/2011 via USPS Express Mail International, Parcel
I would have to say having been buying motorcycle parts and accessaries since 1976.
Procycle would have to be the best to deal with no doubt at all.

Jeff,Drummond and crew.

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #47700
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ARX View Post
Quite common in Oz and kiwi land and even the UK to refer to the "petcock" as the "tap" matter of fact I had never heard someone call it the "petcock" until I came on here.
I've got a pet cock but it's not on my bike.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote