ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #47701
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
ooh, i'd love to have one of these...
look close and see if this will fit your bike jay, before i ship

jungleplant screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 08:45 AM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #47702
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,305
Some nice looking bikes poppin' up on here. Good to see everyone's interpretation of what a DR is for them. Part of the fun of this bike, I think.

Screen - guessing only but it looks like Cee Baileys Commuter http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html I have the Sport and it's worked well.
__________________
'07 WR450 2013 HD Road King '15 Tiger 800 XCx
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #47703
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pjensen641's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Boone, IA
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Just installed an HID headlight on my ride. Just wondering where everybody puts their ballast? I put mine on top of the lamp, under the wiring bundle near the speedo. Im afraid its going to get too hot. Any suggestions?

I asked this a couple of weeks ago, but this thread moves so fast it got lost lol
I put mine on TOP of the little fairing shelf over the wiring bundle. In other words its actually mounted to the plastic fairing, visible from the riding position. That way, its exposed to air but well protected from driving water and debris. I just drilled holes and zip tied it to the little shelf. There is just enough room there if you place it at an angle all the way tight to the backside of the fairing above the light lens.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #47704
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV! Currently NW Oregon
Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
I put mine on TOP of the little fairing shelf over the wiring bundle. In other words its actually mounted to the plastic fairing, visible from the riding position. That way, its exposed to air but well protected from driving water and debris. I just drilled holes and zip tied it to the little shelf. There is just enough room there if you place it at an angle all the way tight to the backside of the fairing above the light lens.
I managed (barely) to zip-tie the hell out my wiring bundle and attach all that stuff, including the ballast, below the headlight and behind the cowl. It's not ideal, but it's out of the way.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'92 Yamaha TW200
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #47705
plugeye
mc caregiver
 
plugeye's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Garland, Texas
Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I managed (barely) to zip-tie the hell out my wiring bundle and attach all that stuff, including the ballast, below the headlight and behind the cowl. It's not ideal, but it's out of the way.

Rob
all is well until you have a wiring problem.
then its: well i'm bloody facked
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #47706
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The IMS-supplied petcock is of questionable quality. I used it initially, and it wasn't long before it became difficult to turn on and off. It was at that point that I was nervous enough about it that I replaced it with the Raptor petcock. It took a little while to hog out the petcock hole in the bottom of the tank for it to fit, but it worked.

Now if I could just do something about that stupid up-turn on the FCR carb for the fuel line so I didn't have to loop the damn thing coming off the tank.

Rob
Early in this thread there were several reports about the IMS petcock. Lots of them stiffened up. Mine has been OK. Not hard to turn, no leaks ... so I've left it in place. IMS claimed they changed the part and went with a different petcock at some point around 2006.

With your FCR carb and IMS tank, how many miles until you run dry? Is the tank totally empty at that point?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #47707
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV! Currently NW Oregon
Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Early in this thread there were several reports about the IMS petcock. Lots of them stiffened up. Mine has been OK. Not hard to turn, no leaks ... so I've left it in place. IMS claimed they changed the part and went with a different petcock at some point around 2006.

With your FCR carb and IMS tank, how many miles until you run dry? Is the tank totally empty at that point?
Well, that's hard to say. I think the loop in my fuel line is causing problems, because it runs "dry" somewhere south of the 4-gal mark. The Raptor Petcock's reserve line is right at the bottom of the tank, so in theory, you should be able to use darn near all of the fuel in the tank, but that loop isn't helping. The only way I can figure to eliminate it is to lose the in-line filter.

As for MPG, it varies a bit. If I take a relaxed ride off the freeway, I can get around 48 mpg. But if I'm "having fun" I get a worst of mid 30's to typically lower-mid 40's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
all is well until you have a wiring problem.
then its: well i'm bloody facked
It's not as bad as I made it sound. And with my Denali LED lights, those things are so good that I could operate without the headlight just fine.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'92 Yamaha TW200
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #47708
jna
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Fruita Co
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Some nice looking bikes poppin' up on here. Good to see everyone's interpretation of what a DR is for them. Part of the fun of this bike, I think.

Screen - guessing only but it looks like Cee Baileys Commuter http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html I have the Sport and it's worked well.
I sent you a PM about my suspension upgrade.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #47709
jna
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Fruita Co
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
I sent you a PM about my suspension upgrade.
This is the fairing I have. http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx.html
It works well and the lights are very bright. When I ride with my son who also has a DR you can not tell if his light is on or not when we are both stopped side by side.
Attached Images
 
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #47710
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie
 
Booyashaka's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Ott-a-wah
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
This is the fairing I have. http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx.html
It works well and the lights are very bright. When I ride with my son who also has a DR you can not tell if his light is on or not when we are both stopped side by side.
I'm considering one of those. How do you find the wind protection/deflection? How tall are you? are you running the Halogens, the HID or a combination? Are HIDs really worth the extra dough? I know they free up some power, but I'm only running grips as a powered accessory. I might add a 12v for charging crap and running an air pump later, but I'm not looking to get set up for heated gear or anything drawing a lot of power.

I have a blue 2k7 and Britannia can't match Suzuki blue, so I can't decide if I should go with white, black or Husqvarna blue...anyone out there have a Husqvarna blue on a blue DR? comments?

Thanks for your input.
Booyashaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #47711
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV! Currently NW Oregon
Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyashaka View Post
I'm considering one of those. How do you find the wind protection/deflection? How tall are you? are you running the Halogens, the HID or a combination? Are HIDs really worth the extra dough? I know they free up some power, but I'm only running grips as a powered accessory. I might add a 12v for charging crap and running an air pump later, but I'm not looking to get set up for heated gear or anything drawing a lot of power.

I have a blue 2k7 and Britannia can't match Suzuki blue, so I can't decide if I should go with white, black or Husqvarna blue...anyone out there have a Husqvarna blue on a blue DR? comments?

Thanks for your input.
I checked out the site... that fairing setup is slick, but dang... $465 CDN (which is $482 USD right now). Add another $50 for shipping and there's no mention of the cost of upgrading to HID, which is kinda mandatory on the DR.

My new Denali LED aux lights are FANTASTIC. For $279 they're good enough to use without the actual headlight. That's how much light they put out. I think I'll stick with what I have.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'92 Yamaha TW200
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #47712
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scottbed's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, MA
Oddometer: 453
Carburetor

What do people do with their old BST40 carbs when they replace with TM40? I may be willing to purchase one from someone with a spare one around.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #47713
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV! Currently NW Oregon
Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed View Post
What do people do with their old BST40 carbs when they replace with TM40? I may be willing to purchase one from someone with a spare one around.
Mine's in a box in a plastic tub. When I bought my bike, it already had the FCR-MX on it so I have no idea of the condition of the carb, other than it has probably no more than 6000 miles on it.

PM me with an offer... I kinda doubt I'd ever put it back on.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'92 Yamaha TW200
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #47714
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbeck View Post
Finally ready...Got the suspension back, new tyres on. Now just gotta go and get it dirty!
What are those frame guards? Also what graphics on the tank? Thanks.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #47715
jna
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Fruita Co
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyashaka View Post
I'm considering one of those. How do you find the wind protection/deflection? How tall are you? are you running the Halogens, the HID or a combination? Are HIDs really worth the extra dough? I know they free up some power, but I'm only running grips as a powered accessory. I might add a 12v for charging crap and running an air pump later, but I'm not looking to get set up for heated gear or anything drawing a lot of power.

I have a blue 2k7 and Britannia can't match Suzuki blue, so I can't decide if I should go with white, black or Husqvarna blue...anyone out there have a Husqvarna blue on a blue DR? comments?

Thanks for your input.
I am 5'7" and run with the fairing fairly low maybe only extended about 3-4" up from the bottom. I get some wind buffet if I go much higher. That may change for a taller person. The fairing does a very good job of keeping the wind off your chest so you dont get as tired just from holding on. I am running the Halogens after talking to Ian at Brittania he said that would be plenty of light he was right. The low beam throws a very wide beam that covers a two lane road and about 50ft either side. We live in a sparsely populated area of western Colorado and that comes in handy for seeing deer, yard dogs, and open range cattle. The high beam will hit stop sign reflectors from 3/4 mile. I would say the cost of the fairing with those lights is a good deal if you live in an area where you may encounter wildlife. I was told the HID lights are not DOT approved. Fairing also provides a dash for my Vapor and GPS unit. Last time I rode with my son we were coming back from Utah on a two lane with no street lights for almost 20 miles. He was riding 100 ft behind and told me he was using my light to see because he could hardly tell if his was on. I had forgot how much light I had gained until I compared it to his DR.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015